ben carroll becomes
|

Ben Carroll becomes Victoria premier as Labor seeks fresh start before election

Australia’s state of Victoria has a new premier after the ruling Labor Party selected Ben Carroll as its leader ahead of the closely watched state election in November. The leadership change comes as Labor attempts to improve its standing with voters after months of declining public support under former premier Jacinta Allan.

Carroll, who had been serving as Victoria’s deputy Labor leader, was elected unopposed on Tuesday shortly after Allan announced her resignation. He now takes charge of Australia’s second most populous state, which includes the city of Melbourne, at a time when Labor faces a difficult electoral challenge.

Allan became premier in 2023 but struggled to maintain public confidence as concerns over the economy and growing dissatisfaction with Labor’s long period in office affected her popularity. The party has governed Victoria for the past 12 years, and recent opinion polls suggested many voters were ready for a change.

Several surveys conducted before Allan stepped down indicated that the opposition Liberal Party was on course to win the November election. However, some polls suggested the Liberals might need support from the right wing One Nation party to form a government if they fail to secure a clear majority.

Speaking after announcing her resignation, Allan warned that the possibility of a Liberal and One Nation alliance remained the biggest concern for Labor. She argued that such a coalition would pose a significant political challenge for the state and urged voters to consider the implications before casting their ballots.

One Nation was founded in 1997 and was once considered a fringe political movement. In recent years, however, the party has gained greater public support through its tough stance on immigration and other national issues. Its leader Pauline Hanson has seen her popularity rise, with some opinion polls showing stronger public approval for her than for Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

The leadership transition comes just one day after an Australian court rejected Hanson’s appeal against a ruling that found she had racially discriminated against a Muslim senator by telling her to return to Pakistan. The decision kept the earlier judgment in place and added further attention to One Nation during an already important political period.

Allan said she had been prepared to contest any leadership challenge within Labor but ultimately decided that stepping aside was in the party’s best interest. She explained that a leadership battle only months before the election would consume valuable time and resources that should instead be focused on the campaign.

She also expressed confidence that she could have retained the leadership if challenged, but said avoiding internal divisions would give Labor a better chance of competing effectively in November.

With Ben Carroll now leading the party, Labor hopes a fresh face at the top will help reconnect with voters and improve its prospects in one of Australia’s most important state elections. The outcome will be closely watched across the country as a measure of changing political trends and the growing influence of smaller parties such as One Nation.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Huma Qureshi and Saqib Saleem join students at Delhi protest

    Actors Huma Qureshi and Saqib Saleem visited the ongoing student protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi during the early hours of Thursday, expressing support for demonstrators calling for accountability over alleged irregularities in the country’s education system. The sibling duo was accompanied by actor Rachit Singh as they walked alongside students who have been camping at the protest site for weeks. The demonstrators are demanding the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, alleging misconduct and irregularities linked to the NEET examination process. Videos circulating on social media showed the actors arriving at the protest around 2:13 a.m. Huma, dressed casually in a black top and blue jeans, was seen interacting with protesters and walking through the gathering with a smile. Rachit Singh, wearing a white shirt, stayed close to her, while Saqib Saleem was also spotted joining the march and speaking with students. The visit quickly drew attention online, with many social media users praising the actors for showing solidarity with the students during the late-night demonstration. Others viewed their presence as a significant show of support from members of the film industry for a movement that has continued to gain momentum across the country. Huma and Rachit recently collaborated on the film Baby Do Die Do, which was produced by Huma Qureshi and Saqib Saleem under their production banner. Their appearance together at the protest marked an unexpected reunion, this time in support of a public cause rather than a film project. The student demonstrations, reportedly led by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), have expanded to several cities in recent weeks. Protesters have continued to demand greater transparency and accountability regarding the alleged examination irregularities, while urging authorities to address their concerns. Organisers have maintained that the movement will continue until their demands are met. In a statement shared on social media, representatives of the protest said they would remain united in their campaign and continue pressing for action. The protests have witnessed moments of heightened tension. Earlier this week, clashes reportedly broke out after police attempted to disperse demonstrators using batons and tear gas. Several protesters were removed from protest sites during security operations, while opposition leaders participating in demonstrations outside Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s residence were also detained during a separate sit-in. Despite the tense atmosphere, student groups have continued their demonstrations, attracting support from activists, public figures and members of the entertainment industry. The appearance of Huma Qureshi and Saqib Saleem adds to the growing list of Bollywood personalities who have publicly voiced solidarity with the students and their demands. As the protests continue, attention remains focused on the government’s response and whether officials will address the concerns raised by demonstrators. With public support growing and demonstrations showing no signs of slowing down, the movement has become one of the country’s most closely watched developments in recent weeks.

  • | |

    Hayden Panettiere dead at 36: Suicide or something else?

    The sudden death of US actress Hayden Panettiere at the age of 36 is being investigated by authorities, with suicide reportedly among the possibilities being considered. Panettiere, who became widely known for her roles in the television series Heroes and Nashville, died on Sunday, according to a statement issued by her family through her publicist. Her family has not disclosed a cause of death. Authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death. Hollywood commentator Rob Shuter, citing law enforcement sources, reported that investigators are examining several possible explanations. Suicide is reportedly one of the possibilities being considered as part of the investigation. A senior law enforcement source was quoted as saying that investigators were looking at every possibility. The source also indicated that there were no immediate indications of foul play or suspicious circumstances. Authorities are waiting for the results of an autopsy before reaching any final conclusion about the cause of death. Investigators have stressed that no explanation should be treated as confirmed until the medical examiner completes the examination and issues an official determination. Panettiere’s death has shocked fans and colleagues in the entertainment industry. She had built a successful career in television and film and received nominations for major awards during her career. She was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards and a Grammy Award during her time in the entertainment industry. The actress is survived by her daughter, Kaya, whom she shares with former fiancé and Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko. Panettiere had previously spoken about her daughter and her living arrangements. Kaya currently lives with Klitschko in Ukraine, according to comments Panettiere made earlier this year. The investigation into Panettiere’s death remains ongoing. Authorities have not officially classified her death as suicide, and the final cause will depend on the findings of the medical examiner and autopsy.

  • |

    Houthis claim strike on Saudi oil tanker

    Yemen’s Houthi movement, Ansar Allah, has claimed responsibility for a missile attack on a Saudi oil tanker in the Red Sea, marking another escalation in regional maritime tensions. Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group targeted the tanker with ballistic missiles near the Saudi coastal city of Yanbu. However, he did not specify the exact time of the attack or provide details about the extent of the damage or any casualties. Saree also claimed that Houthi forces have attacked eight vessels accused of violating the Saudi naval blockade imposed on July 22. According to him, the operations forced 29 other ships to alter their routes to avoid Houthi-controlled waters. The spokesperson vowed that the group would continue enforcing what it described as a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia, warning that vessels breaching the restrictions could face further attacks. The latest claim comes as security concerns continue to grow in the Red Sea, a vital international shipping route that has witnessed repeated attacks on commercial and energy-related vessels in recent months. Independent verification of the Houthi claims was not immediately available.

  • |

    Lavrov rules out immediate Ukraine ceasefire

    Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has ruled out the possibility of an immediate ceasefire in Ukraine, arguing that any truce must form part of a long-term and sustainable settlement rather than serve as a temporary pause in the conflict. In an interview with Russian state television, Lavrov said Moscow would continue to take stronger measures against Western support that, according to Russia, strengthens Ukraine’s military capabilities. He accused Western countries of prolonging the war by providing Kyiv with military and other forms of assistance. Lavrov maintained that Russia would only consider a ceasefire if it could lead to a lasting political solution. He said an immediate halt to fighting would not address what Moscow considers the underlying causes of the conflict and could allow Ukraine to strengthen its forces and resume hostilities later. The Russian foreign minister also accused the United States of involvement in attacks against Russia. His remarks came as Moscow seeks clarification from the US State Department over alleged American intelligence cooperation with Ukraine. Despite the escalating rhetoric, Lavrov said Russia had not rejected dialogue with representatives of US President Donald Trump. He indicated that Moscow remained open to discussions with Trump’s envoys, suggesting that diplomatic channels between Washington and Moscow remain available. Lavrov’s comments highlight the difficult path toward a ceasefire as Russia and Ukraine continue to disagree over the conditions for ending the war. Moscow has repeatedly called for a settlement that addresses its security demands, while Kyiv and its Western allies have pushed for a durable peace that preserves Ukraine’s sovereignty and security.

  • | | |

    Trump criticizes oil companies over high profits a…

    US President Donald Trump has criticized major oil companies over their growing profits, saying that energy firms are earning excessive amounts of money amid rising fuel prices. His remarks come as global oil markets face uncertainty due to geopolitical tensions and disruptions affecting energy supplies. Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said he supports free markets but expressed dissatisfaction with what he described as unusually high earnings by oil companies. He stated that while businesses have the right to operate freely, current market conditions have allowed some energy companies to generate profits beyond what he considers reasonable. The increase in crude oil prices has significantly boosted the revenues of several major energy companies worldwide. Market uncertainty linked to tensions between the United States and Iran has contributed to higher oil prices, creating favorable conditions for large oil producers and companies. Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil giant Saudi Aramco reported a significant increase in quarterly profit, announcing earnings of $33.4 billion, compared with $25.2 billion during the same period last year. This represents a substantial rise in profits. US-based energy companies have also recorded strong financial results. ExxonMobil reported quarterly earnings of $14.5 billion, more than double compared with the previous year. Meanwhile, Chevron posted a profit of $12.1 billion, marking a significant increase from the same period previously. British energy company Shell also reported nearly $10 billion in quarterly profits, making it one of the company’s strongest financial performances in recent years. While energy companies benefit from higher crude oil prices, consumers in the United States have faced increased fuel costs. Average petrol prices have risen significantly since the beginning of the conflict-related market disruptions, adding further pressure on households already dealing with inflation. Fuel prices have become a major political issue ahead of the upcoming midterm elections. Lowering petrol costs has emerged as a key priority for the Trump administration, as high energy prices often influence public opinion and economic sentiment. A major factor behind the rise in oil prices has been disruption in key shipping routes, including the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy corridors. Reduced oil transportation through the region has affected global supply and contributed to market volatility. Although diplomatic efforts have reportedly aimed at reducing tensions and improving shipping access, uncertainty remains in global energy markets. Security concerns in the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb Strait have also affected oil transportation routes. Energy analysts believe that major oil companies may continue benefiting from elevated prices in the short term. However, they suggest that increased global supply or improved conditions in strategic waterways could eventually push crude oil prices lower. The ongoing debate highlights the challenge faced by governments worldwide: balancing energy company profits, market stability, and the need to provide affordable fuel for consumers.

  • |

    Dar-e-Nijat takes shocking turn over Zariab-Zamil relationship

    Dar-e-Nijat, the new Pakistani prime-time drama airing on ARY Digital, has taken an unexpected turn after a recent episode left viewers questioning the nature of Zariab and Zamil’s relationship. Written by Umera Ahmed and directed by Saqib Khan, the drama explores themes of spirituality, personal beliefs, ambition, and the challenges faced by a young woman as she navigates her life and values. Four episodes of the drama have aired so far, with the latest installment generating considerable discussion among viewers. The episode featured a surprising sequence involving Zariab, who went to the house of her friend Zamil after the baraat ceremony. The story then shifted to the following morning, when Zariab’s grandmother questioned her about where she had been. Zariab remained silent, while the way the scene unfolded appeared to suggest that something significant had happened between her and Zamil. The visual details of the sequence added to the speculation. Zariab was shown washing her face and hands, while Zamil was notably absent. His remorseful message further strengthened the impression that the two had crossed a physical boundary. The scene was deliberately presented without directly showing what had happened, leaving viewers to interpret the events through the characters’ actions and reactions. The ambiguity prompted fans to approach writer Umera Ahmed for clarification. One viewer on X asked Ahmed whether the scene was intended to indicate that Zariab and Zamil had become physically involved. The fan specifically referred to the way Zariab returned home late after the baraat scene, as well as her actions afterward and Dadda’s statement about modesty and honour. Umera Ahmed responded with a brief confirmation, effectively putting an end to the speculation surrounding the scene. The revelation has since sparked a strong reaction among Dar-e-Nijat viewers. Many fans said they had already understood the implication from Zariab’s behaviour and the subtle clues placed throughout the sequence. Rather than directly portraying the incident, the drama relied on expressions, dialogue, silence, and character reactions to communicate what had happened. Some viewers also interpreted Zamil’s actions as an attempt to establish his importance in Zariab’s life and prove that he believed he had a greater claim over her than anyone else. This interpretation has added another layer to the discussion surrounding the characters and their motivations. At the same time, several viewers praised the drama for addressing such a sensitive subject without relying on graphic or overly explicit scenes. They argued that topics involving relationships, intimacy, guilt, and moral boundaries can be more impactful when handled through suggestion rather than direct depiction. The development has undoubtedly changed the direction of Dar-e-Nijat and raised questions about how Zariab will deal with the consequences of her choices. With the drama focusing heavily on spirituality and personal accountability, viewers are now waiting to see how the storyline explores guilt, relationships, faith, and the repercussions of the events between Zariab and Zamil.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *