iran oman hold
| |

Iran and Oman hold talks on Strait of Hormuz as re…

Diplomatic efforts to stabilize the Strait of Hormuz intensified this week even as tensions across the wider Middle East remained high, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu traveling to Washington for talks with President Donald Trump and multiple countries reporting drone interceptions linked to the ongoing conflict.

An Omani delegation traveled to Tehran to discuss a possible mechanism for managing future shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran continues to reject the idea of alternative shipping corridors through the waterway, while Omani officials have proposed a regional consortium to oversee the mechanism without charging tolls. Iranian officials, however, are still pushing for what they describe as a service fee and want the arrangement placed under Tehran’s control.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmaeil Baghaei, said talks with Oman over the strait took place over the weekend and described the discussions as useful, though he stressed that the situation in the strait itself remains unchanged and closed, and that the talks are unrelated to the United States. Baghaei also said Tehran has not requested a resumption of direct talks with Washington, calling that approach out of character for Iran. He said some Gulf countries had played a role in the American campaign against Iran without elaborating further, and added that Iran would not allow the United States to dictate how the conflict ends.

Shipping data reviewed by analytics firm Kpler showed traffic through both the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab el Mandeb strait remained severely reduced over the weekend. Eleven commodity vessels passed through Bab el Mandeb on Sunday, the lowest level recorded in months, following Houthi attacks on Saudi oil installations along the Red Sea coast and the group’s declared naval blockade against Saudi Arabia. Seven of those vessels were oil tankers. Meanwhile fewer than ten vessels per day moved through the Strait of Hormuz over the weekend despite the pause in US and Iranian strikes, with several transiting vessels reportedly operating with their transponders switched off.

President Trump rejected suggestions that US forces were running low on munitions after two weeks of strikes on Iran, saying American stockpiles far exceed what the country needs. His comments followed reports that US military officials had privately warned the bombing campaign had exhausted its pre selected target list, and that General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had cautioned Trump about the risk of depleting munitions stocks, including interceptors used by American air defenses in the region. US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz said the military has everything it needs, while acknowledging that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had inherited a depleted situation upon taking office.

A senior Iranian official said Tehran would continue to hold fire as long as the United States does the same, describing the country’s position as strictly reciprocal. A separate Iranian source said there is more skepticism than optimism in Tehran about the pause, describing it as likely tactical rather than a genuine shift, given what the source called Iran’s extensive experience with perceived American deception.

The pause followed a Friday meeting in which senior US military and political advisers, including Vice President JD Vance and Admiral Brad Cooper, the top American commander in the Middle East, reportedly urged Trump to scale back the bombing campaign. The renewed strikes had already unraveled an interim agreement reached the previous month aimed at ending the conflict.

Against this backdrop, Netanyahu departed for Washington for his eighth meeting with Trump since the start of his second term, more than Trump has held with any other foreign leader. Netanyahu said Iran would top the agenda and described the trip as both an honor and a responsibility, saying his goal remains protecting Israel’s security and expanding regional peace. He also said he planned to visit Senator Lindsey Graham during the trip, calling him one of Israel’s closest allies. The visit comes as Netanyahu remains subject to an International Criminal Court arrest warrant issued in November 2024 over alleged crimes against humanity connected to the war in Gaza.

Elsewhere, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Defence said its air defenses intercepted and destroyed several drones aimed at petroleum facilities in the Eastern Region and Riyadh, attributing the attempted strikes to Iranian backed militias operating from Iraqi territory. Jordan’s armed forces separately said they intercepted two drones without identifying the source, while Israel’s military said it intercepted two additional drones near the Jordanian border and is investigating their origin.

Baghaei also addressed Iran’s nuclear program, saying Israel would attempt to block the transfer of nuclear technology to countries in the region while insisting that peaceful nuclear development remains every nation’s right. He said Washington has previously expected Iran to collapse quickly under pressure but argued that the United States remains entangled in the conflict months later. He further claimed Washington tends to return to negotiations whenever global energy prices rise.

Separately, Iran summoned the French ambassador over the detention of two French diplomats earlier this month by Iranian security forces. Baghaei said Iran demanded that the French government halt what he called interference in Iran’s internal affairs conducted under the guise of civil society engagement. He said the diplomats were detained and questioned for several hours before being released, and said one of them was physically mistreated. French Foreign Minister Jean Noel Barrot condemned the incident as a serious act of intimidation.

For residents of Iran, the uncertainty surrounding the pause has become part of daily life. One Tehran business owner said the entire country feels stuck in limbo, describing the shifting pattern of strikes and pauses as exhausting and accusing Washington of neither ending the conflict nor pursuing it decisively.

Similar Posts

  • Israelis in Thailand Warned by Embassy to Comply Strictly With Thai Laws Amid Phuket Crackdown

    BANGKOK — The Israeli Embassy in Bangkok has issued a stark warning to all Israelis in Thailand to strictly follow Thai laws, after authorities in Phuket launched a crackdown on law-breaking foreign tourists and expats. Foreign Tourists Accused of Using Children to Shoplift in Phuket Convenience Store The warning comes as foreign tourists in popular […]

  • |

    Pakistan, Japan agree to expand development cooperation

    Pakistan and Japan have reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening long-standing development cooperation, with both sides agreeing to expand collaboration in economic reforms, mineral development, technical training, and human resource development during a high-level meeting in Islamabad. The understanding was reached during a meeting between Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and a nine-member delegation led by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) President Dr. Tanaka Akihiko. Welcoming the delegation, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif described the seven-decade partnership between Pakistan and Japan as a cornerstone of bilateral relations, expressing confidence that the JICA president’s visit would inject fresh momentum into cooperation between the two countries. The prime minister highlighted the government’s ongoing economic reform agenda, stating that Pakistan had successfully navigated a challenging economic period through coordinated efforts and was now focused on achieving sustainable and inclusive economic growth. He said the government’s reform programme had produced encouraging results, noting that national revenues had doubled over the past three years. According to the prime minister, these improvements were creating greater fiscal space for investment in development priorities and public welfare. Shehbaz Sharif emphasized that equipping young people with modern skills and technical education remains one of the government’s foremost priorities. He said the administration is also committed to creating quality employment opportunities and promoting the economic empowerment of women as part of its broader development strategy. During the meeting, the prime minister welcomed JICA’s technical assistance in Pakistan’s minerals sector, describing the cooperation as timely given the country’s vast untapped mineral resources. He also appreciated JICA’s collaboration with the Small and Medium Industrial Development Authority (SMIDA), saying such partnerships would help strengthen industrial capacity, improve productivity, and boost Pakistan’s exports. The discussions also covered ways to broaden bilateral cooperation in areas including infrastructure development, capacity building, vocational training, and investment promotion. Both sides acknowledged the importance of expanding technical collaboration to support Pakistan’s long-term economic transformation. JICA President Dr. Tanaka Akihiko thanked Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for his warm welcome and appreciation, reaffirming Japan’s commitment to supporting Pakistan’s development journey. He noted that JICA and Pakistan share a long-standing partnership built on mutual trust and cooperation, adding that the agency remains ready to further expand its engagement across multiple sectors, including economic development, human resource development, and technical cooperation.

  • | |

    Zimbabwe ferry disaster death toll climbs to 68

    HARARE: The death toll from a ferry disaster on Zimbabwe’s Lake Kariba has risen to 68 after rescuers recovered 22 more bodies, police said on Saturday. The ferry, operated by the government’s Rural Infrastructure Development Agency, overturned on Tuesday while travelling through rough waters. The vessel was carrying villagers and fish traders who rely on the lake for their livelihoods. Authorities said the boat was licensed to carry 90 passengers but had 114 adults and five crew members on board, along with an unknown number of children. The overcrowding has raised concerns about safety standards as the search for the remaining victims continues. Lake Kariba lies along Zimbabwe’s border with Zambia and is a vital source of transport and trade for communities living around the lake.

  • |

    Irish politicians urge action over citizen’s high-security pro-Palestinian trial in Germany

    A cross-party delegation of Irish politicians has called on Dublin to send official observers to the trial of the “Ulm 5” activists in Stuttgart and raise concerns over the severe detention conditions of Irish citizen Daniel Tatlow-Devally. Tatlow-Devally, 32, was arrested alongside four other Berlin-based European activists in September after trespassing at an Ulm facility owned by Israeli defense contractor Elbit Systems, where they destroyed equipment and smashed windows to protest German arms exports to Israel. German prosecutors have charged the group with trespassing, property damage exceeding €1 million, and membership in a criminal organisation under Section 129 of the German criminal code. The visiting delegation, including Sinn Féin TD Mairéad Farrell and representatives from Fine Gael, Labour, People Before Profit–Solidarity, and the Social Democrats, voiced alarm over Tatlow-Devally being confined to a 5×2-metre cell for 23 hours a day with only one hour of monthly visitation. They also highlighted courtroom barriers, such as holding the defendants behind glass panels that restrict direct legal communication. Farrell urged Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin to press German Chancellor Friedrich Merz on human rights and legal access concerns during his upcoming visit to Dublin.

  • | | |

    Salman Khan house security guard dies suddenly dur…

    A Mumbai police constable posted outside Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s residence has died after reportedly falling ill while on security duty. The officer, identified as Constable Ganesh Raite, was part of the Mumbai Police team deployed outside Salman Khan’s Galaxy Apartments in Mumbai. According to Indian media reports, the constable complained of feeling unwell at around 6pm on Friday while carrying out his duty. His colleagues reportedly arranged for him to be taken to a hospital shortly afterward. However, doctors declared him dead after he was brought to the medical facility. Police officials have indicated that the constable may have suffered a heart attack while on duty. However, the exact cause of death has not yet been officially established. His body has been sent for a post-mortem examination, and the medical report is expected to provide further details. The incident occurred as Salman Khan continues to remain under heightened security because of threats against him. The actor’s security was upgraded to the Y-Plus category in 2024 following the killing of his close friend and former Maharashtra minister Baba Siddique. Salman has faced repeated threats reportedly linked to the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, with tensions surrounding a long-running blackbuck poaching case involving the actor. Security around Salman Khan’s residence has also been tightened following previous incidents. In April 2024, two motorcycle-borne individuals reportedly fired several rounds outside Galaxy Apartments. Investigators later linked the shooting incident to people associated with the Lawrence Bishnoi network. The latest death occurred while police personnel were continuing their security duties outside the actor’s Mumbai residence. The sudden death of Constable Ganesh Raite has raised attention because of the demanding security arrangements surrounding Salman Khan, who remains one of Bollywood’s most prominent and closely protected celebrities. Authorities are expected to establish the precise medical cause of death after the post-mortem examination. Until the medical findings are released, reports of a heart attack remain an initial assessment rather than a confirmed cause. The incident is also a reminder of the risks faced by police personnel assigned to high-profile security duties, where officers are required to maintain prolonged vigilance around protected individuals and their residences. Further details about the constable’s medical history and the circumstances surrounding his final moments are expected to emerge as the investigation and medical examination continue.

  • | |

    Denise Richards calls for honesty about cosmetic p…

    Denise Richards is speaking openly about cosmetic procedures, saying what frustrates her most is when celebrities and influencers deny having work done while promoting unrealistic beauty standards. The actress believes there is nothing wrong with choosing plastic surgery, but she feels people should be honest about it. Richards discussed the topic during the August 3 episode of the Dumb Blonde podcast, hosted by Bunnie Xo, the wife of country star Jelly Roll. The two women reflected on their own cosmetic procedures and shared why transparency matters, especially for younger generations who often compare themselves to celebrities online.  During the conversation, Bunnie Xo passionately criticized public figures who claim their youthful appearance comes only from skincare products or healthy habits. Richards agreed, saying she dislikes when people refuse to admit they have had cosmetic work while allowing others to believe their results are completely natural. She explained that such claims create unrealistic expectations for women and girls who may feel pressured to look the same.  Richards also opened up about her own experience with plastic surgery, revealing that she underwent a facelift after initially considering only a neck lift. Following discussions with a trusted friend and consultation with facial plastic surgeon Dr. Ben Talei, she decided a full procedure would create a more balanced result. The surgery included a facelift, neck lift, brow lift, eyelid surgery, lip lift and fat grafting.  The 55-year-old actress admitted she was terrified before going through with the operation because she has spent decades in the public eye. She knew people would notice the changes, making it impossible to hide the procedure. However, she now describes it as one of the best decisions she has made for herself, saying the goal was never to look like someone else but simply to restore the features she felt had changed with age.  Richards has long been candid about cosmetic enhancements. She previously spoke about getting breast implants at a young age and later needing revision surgery. She said she prefers openness over secrecy because it helps reduce the pressure placed on women to achieve impossible beauty standards without assistance.  Throughout the interview, Richards stressed that every woman should have the freedom to make personal choices about her appearance without fear of judgment. Whether someone decides to age naturally or undergo cosmetic procedures, she believes the decision should be respected. For Richards, the real issue is not plastic surgery itself but the dishonesty surrounding it. By sharing her own journey, she hopes to encourage more realistic conversations about beauty, aging and self-confidence while reminding people that authenticity is just as important as appearance. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *