iran claims destruction
| | | |

Iran claims destruction of three US F-35 jets

The conflict between Iran and the United States intensified on Thursday after Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed it destroyed three US F-35 fighter jets during a missile attack on Jordan’s al-Azraq airbase, a key facility used by American forces.

According to the IRGC, the attack was carried out in retaliation for a US strike on Iran’s Qeshm Island that allegedly killed members of a civilian family. Iranian officials claimed several ballistic missiles struck aircraft maintenance facilities at the base, destroying three F-35 fighter jets and severely damaging three others. The IRGC also alleged that several US military personnel and technical staff were killed in the attack. No independent confirmation of these claims has been provided by US or Jordanian authorities.

The latest exchange came after the United States launched fresh overnight strikes targeting multiple locations in Iran, including Bushehr, Qeshm, Bandar Abbas, Kish and Abadan. Iranian media reported that residential areas on Qeshm Island were hit, killing three members of one family and injuring two children.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards also announced that three of their personnel were killed in separate US missile attacks, vowing retaliation against what they described as American aggression.

Meanwhile, Jordan said its air defence systems intercepted and destroyed five Iranian missiles heading toward its territory, marking the fourth consecutive day of missile interceptions. Authorities reported no casualties or damage.

Iraq also sought to distance itself from the growing conflict. A military spokesperson stated there was no evidence that recent regional attacks had been launched from Iraqi territory, while stressing that only official security forces would be responsible for the country’s defence and security.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry said discussions with Omani officials aimed at reducing tensions remain ongoing in Tehran. Iranian officials blamed the continued closure of the Strait of Hormuz and disruptions to global shipping on US and Israeli military operations, insisting that foreign military actions had created instability in one of the world’s most important energy corridors.

The IRGC also claimed two oil tankers attempting to pass through the Strait of Hormuz turned back after a fire broke out on one vessel. The group warned the strategic waterway would remain closed while military pressure against Iran continued.

Elsewhere, Iran condemned recent US and Saudi air strikes inside Iraq, calling them violations of Iraqi sovereignty and international law. The attacks reportedly targeted Iran-aligned groups operating in the country.

The United Nations expressed growing concern over the escalating hostilities. UN Secretary-General António Guterres urged all parties to end military operations immediately and return to diplomatic negotiations, warning that continued escalation could further destabilise the Middle East.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Dhabeji power fault puts Karachi water supply at r…

    Karachi’s water supply has come under fresh pressure after a power disruption at the Dhabeji Pumping Station affected the operation of three pumps. The Karachi Water and Sewerage Corporation (KWSC) warned on Sunday that several areas of the city could experience a temporary reduction in water supply following the disruption. According to KWSC, the power failure occurred around 8:45am in the third phase of the Dhabeji Pumping Station. The affected section remained without electricity, forcing three pumps to stop working. The disruption is expected to reduce Karachi’s water supply by around 75 million gallons per day. Areas that could face lower water pressure or interruptions include North Nazimabad, Nazimabad, Gulberg Town, New Karachi, Landhi, Korangi and Scheme 33. KWSC said it was coordinating with K-Electric to restore the electricity supply and bring the affected pumps back online. Officials said normal water distribution would resume as soon as the pumps were operational again. However, K-Electric disputed the cause of the outage. The power utility said the issue was an internal fault in KDA Pumping Feeder 2, which supplies electricity to the Dhabeji station, and was not caused by a problem with its wider distribution network. K-Electric said electricity to 19 of the station’s 22 pumping motors remained available. Its technical team was also in contact with KWSC to help resolve the problem. The latest disruption comes as Karachi is already struggling with recurring water shortages and distribution problems. KWSC officials have previously raised concerns over damage to major water pipelines during ongoing development and construction activities. Officials said excavation work linked to the Red Line Bus Rapid Transit project and the K-IV water project has repeatedly damaged pipelines along University Road. The repeated damage has disrupted the city’s water distribution network and affected supplies to several neighbourhoods.

  • | |

    PM Shehbaz orders audit of Discos’ billing s…

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has directed a comprehensive technical audit of the billing systems of electricity distribution companies (Discos), reaffirming that reforming Pakistan’s power sector remains one of the government’s top priorities. Chairing a high-level meeting on the performance of the Power Division, the prime minister acknowledged that distribution companies had shown noticeable improvement but stressed that further reforms were essential to enhance efficiency and service delivery. He described the nationwide installation of smart electricity meters as a key step toward modernising the sector and improving transparency. Shehbaz Sharif also called for strict action against electricity theft, instructing authorities to strengthen enforcement mechanisms at every level. He ordered the Power Division to establish clear performance benchmarks for distribution companies, supported by measurable targets and specific implementation timelines. To encourage better performance, the prime minister announced that the country’s best-performing distribution company would receive formal recognition and awards, promoting healthy competition among power utilities. Addressing the issue of prolonged electricity shortages in rural areas, he directed officials to prepare village-level solarisation projects, saying decentralised solar energy systems could reduce pressure on the national electricity grid while improving access to reliable power. During the meeting, officials informed the prime minister that technical and commercial losses across distribution companies had continued to decline. Islamabad, Lahore and Gujranwala electricity companies recorded the lowest transmission and distribution losses during the last fiscal year, while power utilities in Islamabad, Lahore, Gujranwala, Faisalabad and Multan achieved full recovery of billed electricity dues in the 2025–26 fiscal year. The meeting was also told that specialised Disco Support Units have been established in Hyderabad, Sukkur, Lahore, Multan and Hazara to combat electricity theft, improve bill recovery and resolve technical challenges more effectively. Officials further briefed the prime minister that the first phase of the Asset Performance Management System (APMS) at the transformer level is expected to be completed by the end of September. The system is designed to improve monitoring of transformers, helping reduce both power theft and load-shedding. In addition, the government is considering the installation of 16.2 million Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) single-phase smart meters across the Multan, Lahore, Peshawar, Hazara and Quetta regions as part of its broader strategy to modernise Pakistan’s electricity distribution network.

  • | |

    DSP among three killed in Balochistan attacks

    Three people, including a deputy superintendent of police (DSP), were martyred in separate attacks across Balochistan, officials said. The incidents were reported in Barkhan, Kech and Chagai districts. A truck driver was also injured during one of the attacks. Six labourers were abducted in Kech. Meanwhile, five trailers and two gas bowsers were set on fire in Chagai. In Barkhan, DSP Rakhni Murid Bugti was killed when armed men opened fire on his police vehicle. The incident occurred near Khatta Chowki on Tuesday evening. The DSP was reportedly patrolling the area when the attackers targeted his vehicle. Police, Frontier Corps (FC), Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) personnel and other security forces reached the area after the attack. The security personnel launched a search operation to trace the attackers. Authorities also increased security around the area. Another deadly incident occurred near Kalatak in Turbat, the district headquarters of Kech. According to officials, armed men stopped a vehicle carrying seven labourers on Monday night. The attackers opened fire on the vehicle. Javed Khan, a resident of Swabi district in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, was killed in the attack. The attackers then abducted the other six labourers. Four of those abducted belong to Punjab, while two are from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. A passer-by was also caught in the crossfire. Abdul Razzaq, a resident of Solband, was killed in the incident. Police and security agencies launched a search operation after receiving information about the abduction. Efforts were underway to locate and recover the missing labourers. In another incident, armed men blocked the N-40 highway in Chagai during the same night. The highway connects Quetta with Taftan and is an important route in the region. The attackers reportedly blocked the road at Padag. They also opened fire outside a roadside hotel. The assailants later set five trailers and two gas bowsers on fire. A truck driver sustained injuries during the firing. Law enforcement personnel reached the area soon after the attack. Police and other security agencies launched a search operation to locate those responsible. Investigators also cordoned off the affected area and began collecting evidence.

  • | | |

    Constitutional provisions fuel referendum debate

    Debate over the possibility of holding a national referendum has resurfaced in Pakistan, prompting discussions among political observers and constitutional experts about the legal framework governing such a move. Although the government has made no official announcement regarding a referendum, speculation in political circles has raised questions about when and how a nationwide vote can be conducted under the Constitution. Constitutional experts say Articles 48(6) and 48(7) of the Constitution empower the prime minister to propose a referendum on a matter of national importance. Under Article 48(6), the prime minister may refer such a proposal to a joint sitting of Parliament. If approved by the joint session, the matter can be presented to the public through a referendum in the form of a “Yes” or “No” question. Article 48(7) further provides that Parliament may legislate the procedure for conducting a referendum and determining its results. Legal experts note that, unlike a constitutional amendment, such legislation does not require a two-thirds majority and can be passed through a simple majority of members present, provided the quorum is complete. The renewed debate has also revived interest in the history of referendums in Pakistan. The concept first gained prominence during the political crisis that followed the March 7, 1977 general elections. Opposition parties, united under the Pakistan National Alliance (PNA), rejected the election results, alleging widespread rigging. They later boycotted provincial assembly elections and launched a nationwide protest movement demanding fresh elections, dissolution of assemblies and the resignation of then-prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. Despite mediation efforts by Saudi Arabia, negotiations between the government and the opposition failed, and the political deadlock culminated in the imposition of martial law by General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq on July 5, 1977. Following these developments, constitutional provisions allowing referendums were introduced through the Seventh Constitutional Amendment. Pakistan’s first referendum was held on December 19, 1984, during General Zia-ul-Haq’s rule. While the public was asked to vote on the continuation of the Islamization process, a “Yes” vote effectively extended Zia’s presidency for another five years. Official results declared overwhelming support for the proposal, though opposition parties questioned both the process and the outcome. A second nationwide referendum was held in April 2002 under General Pervez Musharraf. The exercise enabled him to secure another five-year presidential term before the general elections later that year. After the 2002 elections, Musharraf was formally elected president by an electoral college comprising Parliament and the four provincial assemblies under the framework established through the Seventeenth Constitutional Amendment. Political analysts say recent discussions intensified after comments made during a media briefing by the Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), whose carefully worded responses to questions on constitutional matters drew public attention.

  • | |

    Oil prices tumble after US and Iran halt strikes, …

    Oil prices fell sharply on Monday after the United States and Iran paused military strikes over the weekend, ending two weeks of attacks and raising hopes that diplomacy could de escalate the conflict and allow shipping through the Strait of Hormuz to resume. Brent crude futures dropped by around 5.9 percent to just above 91 dollars a barrel, briefly slipping below the closely watched 90 dollar mark earlier in the session. US West Texas Intermediate crude fell roughly 5.4 percent to settle near 84.50 dollars a barrel. Both benchmarks touched their lowest levels in almost a week, reversing three straight weeks of gains driven by the conflict. Brent had climbed as high as 100 dollars a barrel as fighting disrupted oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz and spread to the Red Sea, complicating exports from Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter, through the Bab el Mandeb strait toward Asian markets. US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz said President Donald Trump had opted to pause American strikes to give diplomatic efforts more room to work, a message he delivered across several US television appearances Sunday. Market analysts remained cautious despite the price drop. PVM analyst John Evans said markets continue to search for encouraging signals from a region that has offered little reassurance so far, and cautioned that a pause in strikes carries no guarantee that oil shipments will resume quickly. He said prices are more likely to keep falling if elevated costs curb demand rather than because of a fragile ceasefire. Shipping data from Kpler showed fewer than ten commodity vessels passed through the Strait of Hormuz per day over the weekend. MST Marquee analyst Saul Kavonic said any recovery in traffic through the strait will likely be gradual and incomplete, since many shipping operators remain cautious and will want stronger safety assurances before sending empty vessels back into the waterway. Traffic through the Bab el Mandeb strait also declined Sunday after Yemen’s Houthi movement struck Saudi oil facilities along the Red Sea coast, though one additional Chinese supertanker managed to exit through the strait. Analysts at Societe Generale estimate that every month the Red Sea situation remains unresolved could add at least 10 dollars to the price of a barrel. Some analysts expect prices to stay supported if supply disruptions continue across the Middle East and in connection with Russia’s war in Ukraine. Analysts at UOB noted that the widening Middle East conflict, combined with Ukrainian drone strikes on Russian ships and refineries, could sustain supply disruptions that keep oil prices elevated and add upward pressure to global inflation. Ukraine said it struck several Russian oil facilities over the weekend as part of that ongoing campaign. The volatility underscores how closely global energy markets remain tied to geopolitical developments in the Middle East, where even temporary pauses in fighting can trigger significant price swings as traders weigh the likelihood of a lasting resolution against the risk of renewed escalation.

  • |

    Russia frees former US Marine Robert Gilman after four years

    WASHINGTON: Former US Marine Robert Gilman has been released by Russian authorities after spending almost four years in detention and has returned to the United States, according to US media reports. Gilman was arrested in Moscow in 2022 following allegations that he assaulted a Russian police officer. He was subsequently convicted and remained in Russian custody for several years. His release was reportedly approved on humanitarian grounds after concerns were raised about his health. Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed to pardon Gilman, paving the way for his return to the United States. US President Donald Trump welcomed the development and said his administration had worked to secure Gilman’s freedom through direct discussions with the Russian leadership. Trump described the release as a humanitarian decision and said the case had been discussed with Putin. He also indicated that Moscow did not seek the release of a Russian detainee in return for freeing the former US serviceman. The development comes amid continuing tensions between Washington and Moscow, with the detention of American citizens in Russia remaining a sensitive issue between the two countries. Gilman’s case had drawn attention in the United States because of the length of his imprisonment and concerns surrounding his health. His release now brings an end to nearly four years of detention in Russia. The former Marine is expected to reunite with his family after returning to the United States. Further details about the circumstances of his release and the pardon were not immediately disclosed. The case highlights the role of diplomatic engagement in resolving individual detention cases between the two countries, particularly at a time when broader US-Russia relations remain strained.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *