iran summons french
| |

Iran summons French ambassador over diplomats accu…

Iran summoned the French ambassador in Tehran this week over allegations that two French diplomats interfered in the country’s internal affairs.

A spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry said the ambassador was called in specifically to address the conduct of the two diplomats stationed in Tehran. Speaking at a weekly press briefing, Esmaeil Baghaei said the meeting emphasized that the French government must halt what he described as interference in Iran’s domestic affairs carried out under misleading pretexts.

Baghaei said both diplomats had been using contact with civil society groups as cover for activities that amounted to meddling in Iran’s internal matters, and argued that their conduct had no legal basis under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

The dispute stems from an incident on July 20, when Iranian security forces detained the two French diplomats and questioned them for several hours before allowing them to return to the French embassy. One of the diplomats later alleged that he was subjected to physical mistreatment while in custody.

French Foreign Minister Jean Noel Barrot condemned the episode, describing it as an extremely serious act of intimidation.

The incident adds to a period of heightened friction between Iran and Western governments, as Tehran remains locked in a broader standoff with the United States and its allies over its nuclear program and regional activities, a dynamic that has repeatedly spilled over into diplomatic disputes with European nations in recent months.

Similar Posts

  • |

    North Korea’s fake remote workers rake in $800m a year

    North Korean operatives have quietly built a hidden workforce inside American companies. They are using stolen identities, AI tools and fake profiles to secure remote jobs. The money earned through this scheme is funneled straight back to North Korea. Investigators say it could be channeling millions of dollars annually to Kim Jong Un’s regime. A new investigation pieced together leaked data, interviews and previously unseen videos to expose how the operation actually works. The findings offer a rare, detailed look at how Pyongyang’s undercover workers get recruited and placed. According to the investigation, a single tracked operative applied to more than 1,000 companies in just three months. That volume points to a highly organized, large-scale effort rather than isolated cases. Investigators also found that AI tools played a direct role in helping operatives write convincing cover letters and resumes. Screen recordings reportedly captured workers reading answers straight from ChatGPT during live hiring interviews. North Korea’s IT operatives typically rely on stolen American identities to pass candidate screening and background checks. Many are said to juggle multiple jobs simultaneously, all operating under the same stolen name. Some of these workers reportedly earn as much as $300,000 a year through these remote positions. The US Treasury Department has found that up to 90% of those earnings get funneled directly back to the regime. Officials estimate the overall operation generates as much as $800 million annually for North Korea. That scale has made it one of the more lucrative sanctions-evasion schemes uncovered in recent years. Investigators traced the flow of funds through a wider network involving North Korean IT workers and affiliated cybercriminals. That trail eventually led to a company being sanctioned by the US, reportedly tied to Pyongyang’s broader defence development program. The findings highlight how North Korea has adapted its sanctions-evasion tactics for the remote work era. By blending stolen identities with AI-assisted job applications, the regime has found a modern, low-visibility way to bypass international restrictions on its economy. As remote hiring becomes more common globally, cases like this are raising fresh questions about how companies verify who they’re actually hiring.

  • Thailand Halves Visa-free Stay To 30 Days

    BANGKOK, Thailand — The Thai cabinet has approved a comprehensive overhaul of the nation’s tourist visa policies, halving the visa-free stay period to 30 days for most eligible nations and removing several countries from the scheme. Simultaneously, the government has granted new, extended entry privileges to specific nationalities, including India, in a strategic move to […]

  • | | |

    AJK polling extended amid disruptions and security…

    Polling in the first phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections was extended by one hour on Monday. Voting in Bhimber, Mirpur and Kotli continued until 6pm. The extension was announced as several polling stations faced disruptions and complaints. Political parties also raised concerns about alleged interference and security issues during the voting process. The first phase of the AJK elections covers all 13 constituencies of Mirpur Division. The division includes four seats in Mirpur, three in Bhimber and six in Kotli. More than 1.4 million registered voters are eligible to cast their votes in the first phase. Election authorities established 2,454 polling stations and 3,701 polling booths across the division. Around 22,000 election officials were assigned duties to manage the polling process. Security was also increased at polling stations across the region. The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) raised several complaints during the day. PPP AJK Election Cell in-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor called on the Election Commission to take immediate notice of disruptions at polling stations. Polling at Station 108 in LA-13 Kotli-VI was reportedly suspended for around two hours. Shakoor said the interruption was affecting voters and preventing them from exercising their right to vote. He demanded that polling be restored immediately. He also called for an investigation into the reasons behind the suspension. The PPP also alleged interference at several polling stations in LA-8 Raj Mahal and LA-12 Charhoi. The party claimed that some PML-N supporters were attempting to influence the polling process. The allegations included the presence of armed individuals near some polling stations. The PPP demanded stronger security arrangements to protect voters, polling staff and election material. Another serious incident was reported in LA-9 Nikyal. A PPP worker was killed during an incident that the party linked to alleged intimidation and the display of weapons. PPP officials identified the deceased as 35-year-old Mukhtar Younus. The party demanded the immediate arrest of those responsible for the incident. Shakoor alleged that weapons had been displayed in the area before polling day. He claimed that timely action by the authorities could have prevented the situation from worsening. The PPP also accused the federal government of interfering in the AJK elections. PPP Secretary General Nadeem Afzal Chan demanded that federal officials and government machinery remain neutral during the electoral process. He said political parties should be allowed to compete without outside interference. Chan also raised concerns over alleged use of state resources during the election campaign. He called for development announcements and other government activities that could influence voters to be stopped during the election period. The PPP has established an election monitoring cell in Islamabad. Senior party leaders are monitoring polling-related complaints through the cell. The monitoring team is also maintaining contact with election officials, district administrations, candidates and party representatives. The PPP said the purpose of the cell was to monitor the election process and report any violations. Meanwhile, the Election Commission took action against two presiding officers in Kotli. The officials were accused of failing to report to their assigned polling stations. They allegedly went to a private residence instead. An FIR was registered against both officials. They were arrested and later suspended from service. Election authorities said strict action would be taken against officials who violate election rules. They also warned that negligence and irregularities in the polling process would not be tolerated. Security remained a major focus during polling. Authorities declared 1,965 polling stations sensitive or highly sensitive. More than 19,000 security personnel were deployed across Mirpur Division. The force included around 17,000 police personnel. Around 2,100 Army personnel were also kept on standby. They could be deployed as a backup force if the security situation deteriorated. Despite the complaints and isolated incidents, polling continued at most stations. In LA-1 Dadyal, voting began in a peaceful atmosphere. Security arrangements were strengthened around all polling stations in the constituency. More than 105,000 voters are registered in Dadyal. The constituency has 139 polling stations and 234 polling booths. The first phase of the elections is being held under a revised schedule. Polling in Muzaffarabad Division and the 12 refugee constituencies is scheduled for August 2. The final phase will be held in Poonch Division on August 10. A total of 288 candidates are contesting the 13 seats in Mirpur Division. Election authorities have urged candidates, workers and voters to maintain peace and follow the electoral code of conduct.

  • |

    Thank you for calling us Cockroaches’: activist reacts to Indian Education Minister’s resignation

    Following the resignation of Indian Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) chief Abhijit Dipke addressed a protest rally at Jantar Mantar and thanked those who had referred to young people as “cockroaches.” Speaking at the demonstration, Dipke directly addressed Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, saying that if the chief justice had not used the term, he would not have returned to India and the protest movement would never have begun. According to Indian media reports, the youth-led campaign began after a Supreme Court hearing on May 15. During a case concerning the designation of senior advocates, Chief Justice Surya Kant reportedly compared some young people to cockroaches, saying they struggled to find employment and opportunities in their professions. The chief justice later clarified that his remarks were directed at people holding fake law degrees and were not intended to describe unemployed youth generally. However, the statement quickly spread across social media and triggered widespread criticism. The following day, Abhijit Dipke, a student based in Boston and a former communications strategist for the Aam Aadmi Party, announced the formation of the Cockroach Janta Party in a satirical social media post. Dipke presented the group as a platform for young people who considered themselves “cockroaches” — including unemployed youth, active social media users and those critical of the existing system. The campaign gained momentum as public anger increased over allegations surrounding a National Eligibility Test (NET) paper leak. Dipke returned to India in early June and began leading protests at Jantar Mantar. The protesters’ main demand was the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over alleged irregularities in examinations. The movement later received wider attention when social activist Sonam Wangchuk began an indefinite hunger strike on June 28. He ended the hunger strike after 26 days following written assurances from the government. The assurances included a commitment that peaceful protesters would not face criminal cases. The government also agreed to consider examination reforms and accountability measures in Parliament. It further agreed to consider a proposal for compensation for families of students who allegedly died by suicide following the reported paper leak. Despite the end of Wangchuk’s hunger strike, the Cockroach Janta Party continued demanding Pradhan’s resignation. The protests continued even after demonstrators were reportedly subjected to a baton charge on July 20. Growing pressure eventually led to Pradhan stepping down. In his resignation, Pradhan said he was leaving his position with the future of students in mind. He also said the decision was necessary to prevent anti-national elements from taking advantage of the situation at Jantar Mantar and elsewhere across the country.

  • |

    Pakistan hockey team departs for World Cup mission

    LAHORE: Pakistan’s national hockey team has left Lahore for the Netherlands and Belgium, where the Green Shirts will begin their long-awaited campaign at the 2026 FIH Hockey World Cup. The team departed from Allama Iqbal International Airport on Sunday, August 9, with players and coaching staff heading to Europe with hopes of making a strong impression on the world stage. The World Cup is scheduled to take place from August 15 to 30, with matches being played across venues in the Netherlands and Belgium. Pakistan are returning to the tournament after an eight-year absence, adding extra significance to their campaign. The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has also released Rs200 million in foreign daily allowances for the players ahead of the competition. The amount has been transferred to the accounts of the team members. According to the PHF, all major logistical arrangements for the squad have been completed. Travel, accommodation and food arrangements for players and coaching staff have also been finalised, allowing the team to focus fully on preparations for the tournament. PHF President Mohyuddin Wani said the welfare of players and coaches remained a top priority. He added that financial and administrative matters had been addressed before the team’s departure. Pakistan secured their place in the World Cup after producing a dramatic comeback against Japan in the qualifying tournament earlier this year. The victory ended an eight-year wait for the former world champions to return to hockey’s biggest stage. The Green Shirts have been placed in Pool D alongside England, India and Wales, setting up a demanding group-stage campaign. Pakistan will open their World Cup campaign against England on August 15, followed by Wales on August 17 and arch-rivals India on August 19. With the team now on its way, attention will turn to whether Pakistan can turn its return to the global stage into a memorable tournament.

  • | |

    Kangana Ranaut renews attack on Hrithik Roshan

    Kangana Ranaut has once again addressed her long-running feud with Hrithik Roshan after a viral social media trend reignited public discussion about their 2016 controversy. The actress and BJP MP shared a strongly worded message on Instagram, accusing Roshan of encouraging online criticism directed at her and urging him to stop “adding fuel to the fire.” The renewed controversy began after Kangana faced backlash for comments she made about a recent Gen-Z protest in India over alleged corruption in the education system and examination paper leaks. During her remarks, she criticised the protesters, described them as part of a problematic generation and referred to young women as “Generation Gutter,” prompting widespread criticism on social media. As criticism of Kangana intensified, many users revisited her highly publicised dispute with Hrithik Roshan. The discussion quickly evolved into a viral online trend under the slogan: “The World owes Hrithik Roshan an apology.” The trend referred to the actors’ long-running legal and public battle that began in 2016. The dispute originated when Kangana, during an interview, referred to Hrithik as her “silly ex.” Roshan denied that the two had ever been in a relationship, after which both stars exchanged legal notices and accused each other of harassment and defamation. The case ultimately concluded without a definitive legal finding because of insufficient evidence, although public opinion remained sharply divided. As the latest trend gathered momentum, Hrithik responded by commenting on an Instagram post shared by influencer Freddy Birdy. Rather than embracing the online campaign, the actor urged people to avoid taking sides without considering the full context. He wrote: “My friend, siding with ‘A’ just cause you don’t like ‘B’ anymore is a small part of the larger systemic issue plaguing our society. I’ll wait, for when the context to it is the right one, and motivated by facts. That would be fair. But then again, who cares anymore right?” Kangana later responded through her Instagram Stories, directly addressing Roshan and urging him not to encourage those attacking her online. She wrote: “Dear Hrithik, I am happy that you have found your perfect match, Saba Azad and you both look great together, you are in a committed relationship and it doesn’t suit you to tease a woman like this. Instead, you should condemn all those who are harassing and bullying me using your name.” The actress then added another pointed remark, saying: “Stop adding fuel to fire and embarrassing your partner. Hope better sense prevails and you stop making unreasonable comments.” Her latest statements quickly went viral, generating another wave of reactions across social media. While some users supported her right to respond, many others criticised the actress, arguing that reopening the years-old dispute was unnecessary. The exchange has once again brought one of Bollywood’s most talked-about celebrity feuds back into the spotlight. Although nearly a decade has passed since the original controversy, the latest online trend and subsequent responses from both actors demonstrate that the dispute continues to attract widespread public attention whenever it resurfaces. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *