iran war spreads
| |

Iran war spreads beyond Gulf, raising regional ten…

WASHINGTON: The conflict involving Iran widened significantly over the weekend, spilling into the Red Sea and the Caspian Sea despite a temporary halt in direct US military strikes, raising fresh concerns over regional stability and global energy security.

The United States military confirmed that its naval blockade against Iran remains in place but offered no explanation for suspending a series of nightly airstrikes that had continued for nearly two weeks. A senior official in President Donald Trump’s administration said Washington still preferred a diplomatic solution, while warning that Iran would face serious consequences if negotiations failed.

According to US media reports, President Trump has decided to pause plans for intensified military action after advisers expressed concerns about the risks of expanding the conflict, including pressure on US weapons stockpiles, potential strain on relations with Gulf allies and disruptions to global energy markets.

While the Gulf region remained relatively calm, tensions escalated elsewhere. Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi movement claimed responsibility for missile and drone attacks targeting Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Jizan and Yanbu along the Red Sea coast. Videos circulating online showed smoke rising near the Jizan refinery, one of Saudi Arabia’s major oil-processing sites, while Saudi air defences reportedly intercepted additional missiles aimed at Yanbu.

The attacks have heightened fears that the conflict could spread further across key international shipping routes, particularly after earlier disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz. Despite the escalation, Houthi officials said they were not seeking to block the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, another vital maritime corridor for global trade.

Meanwhile, Iran accused Ukraine of attacking one of its commercial vessels in the Caspian Sea, claiming the strike killed one sailor and injured another. Tehran summoned Ukraine’s senior diplomat to lodge a formal protest, describing the alleged attack as a hostile act. The accusation came shortly after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia had been providing Iran with satellite intelligence to assist its military operations in the region.

In Yemen, fighting also intensified as forces aligned with the internationally recognised government launched airstrikes on Houthi positions in Marib and Al-Jawf provinces. Military officials reported troop movements on both sides, raising concerns that the country’s fragile ceasefire has effectively collapsed after years of relative calm.

Analysts warn that the expanding conflict now threatens to destabilise multiple regions simultaneously, with growing risks to international shipping, oil supplies and broader Middle East security.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    JSMU issues separate notifications on Dr Nighat Sh…

    Jinnah Sindh Medical University (JSMU) has issued two separate notifications regarding the retirement and subsequent contractual appointment of Professor Dr Nighat Shah, daughter of former Sindh chief minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah. According to the university’s notifications, Dr Nighat Shah retired from government service on August 12, 2026, but was allowed to continue working at the university as a Professor of Gynaecology (BPS-21) for another three years on a contractual basis. The two notifications were issued separately. One formally announced her retirement, while the other approved her immediate appointment on a three-year contract following her retirement. According to the retirement notification issued by JSMU Registrar Dr Azam Khan, Dr Nighat Shah, who was serving as Professor of Gynaecology and Obstetrics in BPS-21 as well as Pro-Vice Chancellor, retired from government service with effect from the afternoon of August 12. The notification also referred to an earlier order dated October 6, 2025, under which she had been appointed Pro-Vice Chancellor of the university. Her tenure as Pro-Vice Chancellor was linked to her period of government service and was therefore due to end upon her retirement. However, a separate notification issued by the university states that, following a decision by the Sindh government and approval from the competent authority, the Syndicate, Dr Nighat Shah was permitted to continue her services at JSMU as Professor of Gynaecology for three years on a contractual basis. The new contract will take effect from August 13, 2026, just one day after her retirement from government service. The arrangement means that, according to the university’s own notifications, Dr Nighat Shah formally retired from government employment on August 12 but resumed her professional duties at the same institution without any break from August 13 under a three-year contractual appointment. The development has drawn attention because of the timing of the two notifications, with the retirement order followed immediately by the contractual appointment. Dr Nighat Shah was appointed Pro-Vice Chancellor of JSMU in October 2025. Her new contractual role, however, is specifically as Professor of Gynaecology rather than as Pro-Vice Chancellor. The three-year contract will allow her to continue teaching and providing academic and professional services at the university until the completion of the approved contractual period, subject to the terms and conditions of her appointment.

  • |

    Pakistan women beat Thailand to win Asian Netball Title

    Pakistan’s women’s netball team produced a memorable performance in Hong Kong, defeating Thailand 55-50 in the final of the 2026 Asian Netball Championship Plate Division. The closely contested victory saw Pakistan maintain their composure throughout the match, with disciplined play and strong teamwork helping them secure the championship title. Pakistan’s players showed determination from the opening stages, matching Thailand’s intensity while making the most of their scoring opportunities. Their coordinated passing, defensive organisation and collective effort eventually gave them the edge in a five-point victory. The triumph also brings an important reward beyond the title. By winning the Plate Division, Pakistan have qualified for the Cup Division of the next Asian Netball Championship, scheduled to be held in Singapore in 2028. The achievement is a significant boost for women’s netball in Pakistan and provides the national team with a stronger platform to compete at the top level of Asian netball. Several players played key roles during the successful campaign. Saba Noor Anwar, Maya, Lia Raza Shah, Hina Chaudhry, Serena Naseem, Jasmine, Farah, Noor-ul-Ain and Samaya Safdar all contributed to Pakistan’s impressive final performance. The team’s success was built around teamwork, discipline and determination, allowing them to withstand Thailand’s challenge and finish the tournament on a high. The 55-50 victory will now give Pakistan renewed confidence ahead of the next Asian championship cycle. With qualification for the 2028 Cup Division secured, the national side has a valuable opportunity to build on this breakthrough and compete for an even bigger prize in Singapore.

  • |

    Iran’s Supreme leader sets ‘Primary Conditions’ for ending war with US

    Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Mojtaba Khamenei has declared that the “preservation of Lebanon’s territorial integrity and the absolute, unconditional termination of the Zionist regime’s aggression are the primary conditions for any agreement to end the imposed war against the aggressive US” . In a letter to Hezbollah’s Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem, the Iranian leader described Hezbollah as standing “like an unyielding rock as the forerunner of groups engaged in jihad against the savage aggression of the Zionist regime and its supporters” . He also affirmed that the Islamic Republic considers the defense of Hezbollah fighters to be its “strategic mandate” . The remarks came as part of a wider diplomatic backdrop, with a trilateral framework agreement signed by the US, Israel, and Lebanon on June 26 establishing a process for the Lebanese Armed Forces to disarm Hezbollah and dismantle its infrastructure in exchange for a gradual Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory . The Khamenei statement follows the June 15 finalization of an Iran-US memorandum of understanding, which brought a permanent halt to military operations on all fronts, including Lebanon, and ended the US naval blockade against Iran . The new trilateral framework agreement has been described by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio as a “first step” on a difficult journey, with a “trust, but verify” mechanism requiring Lebanon to demonstrate that it can effectively rein in Hezbollah . However, the agreement has faced opposition from within Lebanon. Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah warned that Lebanese authorities would not be able to enforce the disarmament commitments without triggering conflict, stating that Hezbollah would “hold on to its weapons even more” . Netanyahu has previously claimed that Israeli forces have pushed Hezbollah back 5 to 8 miles from the border and destroyed approximately 94 percent of its missile arsenal . Nevertheless, with Hezbollah and its Iranian backers setting firm conditions and opposing the framework’s core terms, the path to a final resolution remains fraught with challenges.

  • | |

    Turkey submits bill to parliament aimed at reinteg…

    Turkey’s governing coalition put forward a draft law before parliament on Wednesday designed to secure lasting peace with the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, offering legal protection from prosecution to many former fighters and suspending prison terms for others. The legislation represents a significant step toward closing out an insurgency that has claimed more than 40,000 lives since 1984, deepened political divisions inside Turkey and spilled violence into neighboring Iraq and Syria over four decades. The bill aims to bring the long running conflict to a close in part by clearing the way for potentially thousands of former PKK fighters and civilians to return to Turkey from hideouts in northern Iraq. The measure carries support from a majority of lawmakers and is expected to clear parliament later this week, though public opinion polls suggest many Turks remain doubtful it will deliver a durable peace. Under the bill, Turkey’s national security council would confirm the group’s disarmament, while a dedicated committee, including the vice president, several cabinet ministers and the head of the MIT intelligence service, would supervise the surrender and disarmament of militants. That committee would then report on the process to a parliamentary oversight commission. According to the text of the legislation, the bill would suspend prison sentences for individuals convicted of PKK membership or of assisting the organization. It would also extend legal protection to fighters who were not involved in killings, provided they return to Turkey within six months of the law taking effect. PKK figures convicted of more serious offenses, including leading a terrorist organization or sentenced to aggravated life terms before 2005, would fall outside the scope of these protections and would not receive suspended sentences. That exclusion means PKK founder Abdullah Ocalan, who has been imprisoned since 1999 under an aggravated life sentence, would remain behind bars even as the broader peace process moves forward. Ocalan called on the PKK to lay down its weapons and dissolve last year, a call the group’s leadership accepted. President Tayyip Erdogan’s governing AK Party secured backing for the bill, formally titled the national solidarity and social integration law, from its nationalist ally the MHP as well as the pro Kurdish DEM Party. Most other parties in parliament, including the main opposition, have also expressed support for the legislation. DEM co chair Tuncer Bakirhan described the vote as an important first step, saying he hopes the process continues forward in a constructive direction. The peace initiative between Turkey, which fields NATO’s second largest army, and the PKK first got underway in late 2024. It nearly stalled earlier this year, however, as the war involving Iran raised fears of wider regional instability and diverted attention from the domestic peace effort. Turkey, along with the United States and the European Union, classifies the PKK as a terrorist organization. The group launched its armed campaign in 1984, initially demanding an independent Kurdish state in southeastern Turkey before later shifting its goals toward greater autonomy and expanded political rights for Kurdish communities within Turkey. The legislation now heads toward a parliamentary vote expected within days, marking one of the most consequential efforts yet to formally end a conflict that has shaped Turkish domestic politics and regional security dynamics for more than a generation.

  • | |

    Lou Koller, legendary Sick of It All frontman, die…

    The hardcore punk community is mourning the loss of one of its most influential voices. Lou Koller, the longtime frontman and co-founder of New York hardcore band Sick of It All, has died at the age of 59 following a two-year battle with esophageal adenocarcinoma. The heartbreaking news was announced by the band on July 24, just months before what would have marked the group’s 40th anniversary.  In a heartfelt statement shared on social media, Koller’s bandmates described him as a “beloved friend” and an “iconic frontman” whose energy, humor, and passion helped shape the identity of Sick of It All for nearly four decades. They remembered his ability to light up every stage with a smile and a sarcastic joke while connecting with fans from every corner of the world. The band also thanked supporters who donated to Koller’s medical fund during his illness, saying the overwhelming love made him feel deeply appreciated throughout his fight.  Born and raised in Queens, New York, Lou Koller founded Sick of It All with his younger brother, Pete Koller, in 1986. The band quickly became one of the defining acts of the New York hardcore scene, blending aggressive punk music with lyrics centered on perseverance, unity, and resilience. Their debut album, Blood, Sweat and No Tears, released in 1989, helped establish their reputation, while later records such as Scratch the Surface and Wake the Sleeping Dragon! cemented their influence on generations of punk and hardcore musicians.  Koller first revealed his cancer diagnosis in June 2024 after doctors discovered a tumor in his esophagus extending into his stomach. The illness forced Sick of It All to postpone touring while he underwent chemotherapy. In 2025, the singer joyfully announced that he had been declared cancer-free, giving fans hope that he would return to the stage. Sadly, the cancer later returned, and he resumed treatment while continuing to express gratitude for the unwavering support of his family, friends, and loyal fanbase.  Tributes have poured in from across the music world following the announcement. WWE star CM Punk, whose famous “It’s Clobberin’ Time” catchphrase was inspired by Sick of It All’s iconic song, thanked Koller for providing “the soundtrack” to his life. Fellow punk bands, including Dropkick Murphys and members of Rancid, also honored the late musician, remembering him as a genuine, kind-hearted figure who left an unforgettable mark on the hardcore community.  Though Lou Koller’s voice has been silenced, his influence on hardcore punk will continue to inspire musicians and fans for generations. His legacy lives on through the music he created, the community he helped build, and the countless lives he touched throughout an extraordinary career.

  • Saudi crown prince pushes Trump for diplomacy

    Iranian military officials have rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim that Tehran asked for a planned American attack to be called off. The officials called the claim a lie. They said Trump was trying to pressure and blackmail Gulf rulers through threats. The officials said Iranian forces remain at the highest level of readiness and are prepared for any situation. They warned that if a confrontation becomes unavoidable, the outcome on the battlefield will settle who truly holds power. A source close to Iran’s negotiating team also denied that any agreement had been reached to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Another military source told a local news agency that the strait will stay closed as long as the United States continues what Iran calls hostile actions. The source added that ships will only be allowed through a specific route and only with permission from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Trump had said on Saturday that he called off a planned military strike on Iran after Tehran and other Middle Eastern countries asked for more time to complete a peace deal. He said Israel had also agreed to this arrangement. On his social media platform, Trump claimed both sides had agreed on the outline of a deal. He said the plan includes a complete and immediate reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and an end to what he called Iran’s nuclear threat. Meanwhile, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman spoke with Trump by phone and stressed the need to avoid a wider regional war. The Saudi Press Agency reported that the crown prince called for dialogue and de-escalation to protect regional stability. Both leaders also discussed cooperation between Saudi Arabia and the United States. Iran’s acting defence minister said all threats from adversaries are treated as real, even when they may be part of psychological pressure tactics. He said Iran will not be caught off guard and will use such threats to strengthen its military readiness. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said American strikes have made Iran more willing to negotiate, including on its nuclear program and the Strait of Hormuz. He claimed the strikes had severely weakened Iran’s navy, air force and missile systems, though he admitted Iran still has missiles and drones capable of causing damage. Rubio said the US is now negotiating from a position of strength. Iran earlier warned the US against what it called adventurous action and said it would respond firmly to any fresh attacks. Iran’s foreign minister discussed the situation with senior officials from Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, warning that any aggression would receive a proportionate response. A media outlet linked to Iran’s security establishment warned that any US strikes on Iranian energy sites would lead to Iranian strikes on oil and gas fields in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar and Israel. Oil prices have remained high since the conflict began in February. Brent crude rose sharply in July, and analysts expect prices to climb further as tensions in the region continue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *