israeli strikes draw
| |

Israeli strikes draw Lebanese President’s warning

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun on Saturday condemned Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, calling them a “clear message” about the ongoing negotiations between Beirut and Tel Aviv ahead of the next round of US-sponsored talks in Rome early next month, AFP reported.

Aoun criticised what he described as continued Israeli attacks and repeated violations of the framework agreement and international law protecting civilians. He said an Israeli strike on a house in the southern town of Ansar killed an entire family.

At least seven people were killed and three others injured when Israeli warplanes struck a house on the outskirts of Ansar in Nabatieh district early Saturday, Lebanon’s National News Agency (NNA) reported. The strike destroyed the building, while rescue teams searched the rubble for victims and survivors.

NNA said the attack marked the first Israeli airstrike to reach this far inside Lebanese territory since a ceasefire took effect two months ago. Israeli aircraft also carried out several strikes on Ali al-Taher hill near Nabatieh al-Fawqa.

The strikes came despite a framework agreement signed between Lebanon and Israel on June 26 under US sponsorship. The agreement calls for Israel to gradually withdraw from occupied Lebanese territory while the Lebanese army deploys in those areas and armed groups, including Hezbollah, disarm.

According to the report, Israel continues to hold parts of southern Lebanon, including areas it occupied during earlier conflicts. During the latest escalation, Israeli forces advanced more than 10 kilometres into Lebanese territory.

Lebanese authorities say the Israeli assault, which began on March 2, has killed 4,335 people and wounded 12,277 others.

Aoun warned that the continued violations could undermine the negotiation process and further threaten the fragile ceasefire.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Moroccan footballer dies while trying to reach Ceuta

    Moroccan footballer Faten Ben Omar Al-Azizi has reportedly died after drowning while attempting to reach Ceuta, the Spanish-administered territory on the North African coast. According to local media reports, Al-Azizi had previously represented Moghrib Atletico Tetouan, and news of her sudden death has left Morocco’s football community in shock, particularly football circles in Tangier and northern Morocco. Reports suggest that the footballer attempted to make the dangerous journey to Ceuta by sea, but the trip ended in tragedy. She lost her life after encountering difficulties during the crossing, highlighting the severe risks faced by people who attempt to reach the Spanish territory through irregular migration routes. The incident comes amid growing attempts by migrants in northern Morocco to reach Ceuta by sea. Rough waters, strong currents and other dangers along the route have led to several deaths in recent weeks, with many people risking their lives in the hope of reaching European territory. Following Al-Azizi’s death, her former teammates, friends and members of the Moroccan football community expressed deep sorrow and paid tribute to her. Those who knew her described her as a hardworking, talented and kind-hearted person who made a positive impression on those around her. Her death has also drawn attention to the dangers associated with irregular migration routes in the region, where difficult sea conditions can quickly turn attempts to cross into deadly tragedies.

  • | | |

    Congo Ebola outbreak death toll crosses 2,000

    KINSHASA: The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has intensified dramatically, with the death toll reaching 2,061 as authorities reported 4,449 confirmed cases, highlighting the growing challenge facing health workers and communities. The latest figures, reported by Congolese authorities on Tuesday, show how quickly the outbreak has expanded since it was officially declared on May 15. The outbreak is being driven by the Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola for which there is currently no licensed vaccine or specific treatment. Health authorities have been relying heavily on early diagnosis, supportive care, surveillance and infection-control measures. The outbreak began in Ituri province, with cases subsequently reported in other parts of the country. The World Health Organisation has warned that insecurity, population movement and limited healthcare infrastructure are complicating efforts to contain transmission. The current epidemic is Congo’s 17th Ebola outbreak, according to health authorities. Its rapid growth has raised concerns among international health agencies, particularly as affected communities face humanitarian and security challenges. Medical teams are working under difficult conditions, wearing protective equipment while treating patients and tracing contacts. WHO has said that strengthening surveillance, contact tracing, clinical care and community engagement remains central to the response. Recent research has also suggested that the outbreak may involve a previously unrecorded variant of the Bundibugyo strain and could have resulted from a new animal-to-human transmission event, underscoring the importance of monitoring potential spillover from wildlife. With thousands of confirmed infections and deaths already recorded, authorities face an urgent race to slow transmission and prevent the outbreak from spreading further across the region.

  • |

    US Forest Service chief reportedly pressed staff to deploy extra aircraft for fire near his Idaho ranch

    Michael Boren, the US Undersecretary of Agriculture for Natural Resources and Environment who oversees the US Forest Service, reportedly pressured agency staff to deploy additional aircraft to a small 7-acre wildfire burning near his private property in Idaho. According to agency communications and current and former Forest Service officials, the Cabin Creek fire began on 12 July 2026 in the Sawtooth National Forest due to an unattended campfire. Boren, who owns a 480-acre ranch in the nearby Sawtooth National Recreation Area, repeatedly contacted regional and national operations leadership to question why more aircraft were not assigned to the blaze. Flight data reveals that approximately nine aircraft—including air tankers, tactical planes, and helicopters—were dispatched to the small fire, with some assets diverted from other active wildfires in Idaho. Insiders noted that the emergency response was unusually heavy for a minor outbreak that ground crews could easily access and which posed no immediate threat to life or major infrastructure. In response, a spokesperson for the Department of Agriculture maintained that Boren merely reported the fire as any local landowner would and denied that he ordered or pressured staff to shift resources. The fire was fully contained by 15 July.

  • | |

    Cross border strikes kill at least fourteen as Ukr…

    At least seven people died in Russia following what officials described as Ukraine’s largest scale attack of the year, while separate Russian strikes on Ukraine killed at least seven more people and injured over 39 others. Ukraine launched roughly 822 drones in the assault, with 600 of them targeting Moscow, according to the region’s governor, who called it one of the most massive drone attacks the Russian capital has faced in recent memory. The strikes hit a warehouse belonging to online retailer Wildberries among other targets. In Russia’s southwestern Rostov region, five people died following overnight strikes, the regional governor said. In Belgorod, which borders Ukraine, officials said a woman died after a civilian bus was hit, while Moscow region governor Andrey Vorobyov reported that an 83 year old man died in a separate drone attack. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said a Wildberries warehouse in Koledino, about 25 kilometers, or 15.5 miles, from central Moscow, was struck and left three people injured, with video footage showing fire and heavy smoke rising above the facility. Wildberries, often compared to Amazon, has faced repeated attacks since July, when Kyiv said it was deliberately targeting logistics hubs Russians use to acquire military equipment as part of a broader effort to disrupt supply lines feeding the Russian army. In Ukraine, officials said a 66 year old man and a 64 year old woman died after a guided aerial bomb struck a private home in the Zaporizhzhia region. Two additional deaths were reported in Kryvyi Rih, a city in the Dnipropetrovsk region, while officials in Sumy, Donetsk and Kherson each reported one fatality, including a 51 year old killed in a drone strike in Sumy. Air raid sirens sounded four times overnight in Kyiv as Russian forces struck the capital. Mayor Vitali Klitschko said at least six people, including a child, were injured in the attacks. Russian officials said their strikes on Kyiv Saturday night targeted a FirePoint facility that produces components for Ukraine’s Flamingo missiles, along with a factory manufacturing drone parts. The strikes also damaged a book market in the city’s Pochayna district, leaving charred books scattered across the ground as firefighters worked to extinguish the remaining flames. Valentina, 69, whose husband ran a stall at the market, described searching through the debris and recognizing books that had belonged to his stall lying scattered on the ground. She said she never imagined something like this would happen to her family. Luba, 42, who owns a vinyl record store nearby, said she lost stock worth roughly 500,000 hryvnias, or about £8,262, in the strikes. She called the shop her life’s work and said many of the destroyed records were rare and could not be replaced. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said 13 regions across the country came under attack this week, with Russia launching more than 1,550 attack drones, nearly 1,560 guided aerial bombs and 62 missiles during that period. He said Russian forces strike civilian infrastructure wherever their ballistic missiles can reach. Russia launched its full scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 and currently controls roughly a fifth of Ukrainian territory. With neither side making significant progress along the lengthy front line in recent months, the war has increasingly shifted toward an aerial contest, with both countries trading missile and drone strikes aimed at degrading the other’s capacity to keep fighting.

  • | |

    UAE opens direct sea route to China, cutting car d…

    DUBAI: The United Arab Emirates has launched a new direct maritime trade route with China, creating a faster shipping link between the two countries and reducing the time needed to transport vehicles. The new route connects Khorfakkan Port, located on the Gulf of Oman outside the Strait of Hormuz, with China’s Xiaomo Port. According to the Emirates News Agency, the service will bring large shipments of vehicles directly from the Chinese port to Khorfakkan. The launch is expected to give vehicle importers and logistics companies a quicker option for moving cargo between China and the UAE. The new direct service will reportedly cut vehicle transportation times by three to five days, improving efficiency across the supply chain. Khorfakkan’s strategic location on the Gulf of Oman makes it an important maritime gateway, with direct access to international shipping routes. The new connection could further strengthen the port’s role in handling Chinese goods and automotive shipments bound for the UAE and wider regional markets. The development also reflects growing trade and logistics cooperation between the UAE and China, particularly as demand for faster and more reliable supply chains continues to increase. For the automotive sector, shorter transit times could mean quicker deliveries, smoother inventory planning and greater flexibility for businesses handling vehicles imported from China. With the new route now operational, the UAE is strengthening its position as a regional logistics hub while providing Chinese exporters with a more direct maritime connection to the Gulf. The service is expected to support growing bilateral trade and make vehicle movement between the two markets faster and more efficient.

  • |

    Cameroonian President Paul Biya reshuffles military leadership amidst prolonged absence in Switzerland

    Cameroon’s 93-year-old President, Paul Biya, the world’s oldest sitting head of state, has enacted a strategic reshuffle of the country’s military leadership from abroad, issuing decrees to promote senior officers and appoint new commanders while remaining in Geneva, Switzerland. Among the key appointments, Biya promoted five colonels to the rank of brigadier general. Notably, Brigadier General Raymond Jean Charles Beko’o Abondo was reappointed to lead the elite Presidential Guard, an essential security unit responsible for the president’s personal protection that he has commanded since 2013. The administrative shifts coincide with growing domestic anxiety regarding Biya’s absence from Cameroon, which has extended to nearly two months following his departure on 7 June for what officials termed a “brief private stay”. Opponents and civil society groups have voiced concern over an institutional vacuum, noting that a newly created vice-presidential seat remains vacant and a promised cabinet overhaul has yet to materialise. Government representatives, including Communication Minister René Emmanuel Sadi, dismissed claims of administrative paralysis or health crises, maintaining that the president remains fully operational and continues to sign official decrees and financial agreements from abroad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *