karachi receives second
|

Karachi receives second day of monsoon rain with l…

Karachi experienced light to moderate rainfall accompanied by high winds on Saturday evening, marking the second consecutive day of rain in the current monsoon spell. Rain was reported in multiple areas across the metropolis, including Scheme 33, Gulshan-i-Maymar, and adjoining areas, while a light drizzle fell in Hassan Square. Heavy rain was reported in Gulistan-i-Jauhar, and video footage showed commuters travelling through 4K Chowrangi in Surjani Town amid heavy rainfall. Light rainfall was also reported in Saddar, multiple blocks of Clifton, and the Defence Housing Authority.

Earlier today, the provincial chief secretary directed provincial and district authorities to activate the Provincial Disaster Management Authority and district control rooms immediately, while ordering the submission of 24-hour situation reports every morning throughout the monsoon season for continuous monitoring. Chairing a meeting on monsoon preparedness, the chief secretary stressed that contingency plans must include the identification of relief camp sites, availability of rescue boats, dewatering pumps, water bowsers, and emergency mechanisms for food and drinking water, as well as adequate stocks of medicines for health and livestock departments. He instructed municipal authorities to remove bottlenecks, complete the cleaning of storm-water drains, and ensure uninterrupted drainage arrangements ahead of heavy rains.

The meeting was informed that, according to the Pakistan Meteorological Department, moderate to isolated heavy rainfall was expected until July 27 in several districts, including Tharparkar, Umerkot, Mirpurkhas, Badin, Sanghar, Tando Muhammad Khan, Tando Allahyar, Hyderabad, Matiari, Jamshoro, and Shaheed Benazirabad. Light to moderate rainfall was also forecast for districts including Ghotki, Kashmore, Jacobabad, Shikarpur, Sukkur, Kambar Shahdadkot, Larkana, Khairpur, Naushahro Feroze, and Thatta, while Karachi was likely to experience mostly cloudy weather with chances of light rain and drizzle.

Yesterday, the metropolis received this season’s first spell of rain after multiple localities reported light to moderate showers. Earlier this week, on the directives of Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, the PDMA placed district administrations across Sindh on high alert and directed all relevant departments to take precautionary and emergency response measures as strong monsoon currents from the Arabian Sea continue to affect the province. The CM directed all deputy commissioners, district administrations, municipal authorities, irrigation officials, health services, rescue agencies, and local government institutions to remain fully vigilant, ensure the preparedness of emergency response teams, maintain drainage systems, and take all necessary steps to protect lives and property. The rain has brought relief to residents after a prolonged dry spell, but authorities remain on high alert to address any potential flooding or rain-related emergencies. The public has been advised to stay updated with weather forecasts and follow official directives to ensure their safety during the monsoon season.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    KP police put Rs285.8m bounty on 83 wanted terrori…

    Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police have announced rewards for information leading to the arrest or identification of 83 wanted terrorists. According to a list issued by the police, the total reward amount stands at Rs285.8 million. The Central Police Office said financial rewards would be given to individuals who provide information that helps authorities locate, arrest or identify the wanted terrorists. Police said the identity of anyone providing information would be kept completely confidential. The rewards announced for the wanted individuals range from Rs500,000 to Rs100 million, depending on the importance and threat level of each suspect. The list includes wanted individuals from several areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, including Dera Ismail Khan, Kulachi, Darazinda, Daraban and Paharpur. Police urged citizens to remain vigilant and closely monitor suspicious activities linked to terrorists and Fitna al-Khawarij. Authorities appealed to the public to share credible information with law enforcement agencies. They stressed that the confidentiality of informants would be fully protected. The reward scheme is part of police efforts to locate wanted militants and strengthen security across the province. Officials said public cooperation could help prevent terrorist activities and improve the overall security situation in vulnerable areas.

  • | |

    Security forces foil suicide attack in South Wazir…

    Pakistan security forces have foiled a suicide attack on a checkpost in South Waziristan district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, killing four terrorists, including the suicide bomber, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said. According to a statement issued by the military’s media wing, terrorists attempted to attack a security forces checkpost by driving an explosives-filled vehicle toward the installation. However, the attack was stopped due to the quick and effective response of security personnel. The ISPR said that the explosives-laden vehicle was engaged and destroyed before it could reach the checkpost, killing the suicide bomber inside. The failed attack caused no damage to the security installation and no casualties were reported among security forces. Following the initial attack attempt, troops engaged other militants who tried to enter the area. According to the statement, three terrorists were forced into a nearby compound and were later killed during a targeted clearance operation carried out by security forces. The military said a sanitisation operation was also launched in the surrounding area to search for any remaining militants and ensure the security of the region. The ISPR reiterated that counter-terrorism operations under the “Azm-i-Istehkam” initiative will continue with full commitment to eliminate terrorism and prevent attacks against the country. The operation is part of ongoing efforts by security forces and law enforcement agencies to tackle militant threats. The incident comes a day after a terrorist attack on a joint police checkpost in Tank district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa resulted in the deaths of 15 people, including security personnel. Officials said the attack highlighted the continuing security challenges faced by the province. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has witnessed an increase in militant activities over the past year, with security forces conducting frequent operations against armed groups operating in the region. Security officials have stated that intelligence-based operations and targeted actions will continue to counter militant networks and protect civilians and security personnel. The latest operation in South Waziristan reflects the ongoing security efforts aimed at preventing attacks and maintaining stability in areas affected by terrorism.

  • | |

    Afghan man married to Pakistani woman granted bail…

    The Supreme Court of Pakistan has granted bail to an Afghan national, who is married to a Pakistani woman, against surety bonds worth Rs20,000 in a case registered under the Foreign Act. During the hearing, the government lawyer informed the court that the accused had been arrested under the Foreign Act. He argued that the man did not possess a marriage certificate proving his marriage to the Pakistani woman at the time of his arrest. The prosecution further stated that the marriage certificate was obtained in 2024, although the accused claimed to have married in 1993. The lawyer also told the court that the man had no documentary evidence of his entry into Pakistan and was not carrying an Afghan passport. Justice Hashim Kakar questioned the prosecution’s arguments, observing that in many rural areas marriages are conducted without immediately registering a formal marriage certificate. The defence counsel told the court that the couple had married in 1993 and only later obtained official documentation. Justice Kakar also noted that two high courts had already directed authorities to issue the man a domicile, adding that the government itself had allowed Afghan nationals to enter Pakistan in the past. He remarked that they had even been provided ration support. The judge further questioned the prosecution, asking what additional proof of marriage was required when the couple had two children together. He also asked how the authorities had concluded that the accused was an Afghan citizen if he allegedly had no identification or official documents. After hearing the arguments from both sides, the Supreme Court approved the Afghan national’s bail, subject to the submission of surety bonds worth Rs20,000.

  • Thai Cabinet Extends 7% VAT Rate Until September 2027

    BANGKOK — The Cabinet has approved an extension of the reduced value-added tax rate, keeping it at 7 percent for another year in light of current economic conditions, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Ekniti Nitithanprapas announced. Thai Government Extends 7% VAT Rate for Another Year to Support Economy The rate, previously set to expire […]

  • | |

    Ride-hailing driver reveals final journey of Waffl…

      The ride-hailing driver who transported Wafflix owner Mir Raza Ali shortly before his death has shared details of the young man’s final journey, describing how Ali personally guided him through several roads in Karachi before being dropped outside a bank in Gulistan-e-Johar. Ali, 25, was allegedly abducted from the PECHS area before his body was discovered in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar. Police initially suspected that he may have been tortured before being shot. The circumstances surrounding his death remained unclear for some time, including speculation over whether he had been murdered or had died by suicide. However, a second post-mortem reportedly strengthened his family’s claim that Ali had been killed. In a video statement released on Wednesday, the driver, Ehsanullah, recalled accepting Ali’s ride during the early hours of the morning. He said the booking came through at around 3:57am. After accepting it, he reached the pickup location at approximately 4:06am and called Ali a minute later to inform him that he had arrived. According to the driver, Ali asked him to wait for a couple of minutes before coming outside. Ehsanullah said Ali arrived around 4:09am, after which the journey began. The driver said they initially left the street and headed towards Khalid bin Waleed Road. He recalled that when he was about to take a turn, Ali stopped him and instructed him to use another route towards a one-way road leading towards Imtiaz and Tariq Road. During the journey, Ali reportedly asked whether the vehicle had Bluetooth or a speaker. After connecting his mobile phone, he played music while continuing to guide the driver. Ehsanullah said he relied on the navigation system while also following Ali’s instructions. The route reportedly took them from Tariq Road to Bahadurabad and then towards Aga Khan Hospital, Stadium Road, Millennium Wall and Perfume Chowk. They subsequently travelled through Johar Mor, Mosamiyat and Samama before reaching Continental Bakery. The driver said Ali then directed him to take another turn and continue ahead before eventually asking him to stop. Ehsanullah said he dropped Ali outside a bank and then left the area. Meanwhile, Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho acknowledged shortcomings in the investigation into Ali’s death. Speaking at a ceremony at the Sindh Bar Council, he said the case was being reassessed following a new medico-legal report. Odho described Ali’s death as tragic and said a new investigation team had been instructed to conduct a transparent and independent inquiry. He acknowledged that there had been lapses, particularly concerning the medico-legal process, and said the shortcomings would be addressed. Ali’s body was discovered on July 29 with a gunshot wound. Investigators later recovered a .30-bore pistol casing from the crime scene on August 6, although the firearm itself had not been found. Following concerns raised by Ali’s family and evidence suggesting he had been shot from behind, the previous investigation team was dissolved. A new team, headed by DIG Investigation and Crime Amir Farooqi, was formed. The family’s lawyer, Jibran Nasir, had previously called for an impartial investigation and alleged that the family had been pressured to accept a suicide explanation. A judicial magistrate in Karachi’s East district has also directed police to submit a progress report in the case by August 15 as the renewed investigation continues.

  • | |

    Three-day curfew imposed in Nushki

    A three-day curfew has been imposed in Nushki district of Balochistan due to the deteriorating law and order situation. The curfew has been enforced to maintain peace and prevent further unrest in the district. Residents have been directed to remain inside their homes during the curfew period. Movement in the district will remain restricted. According to a notification issued by the Balochistan Home Department, the curfew will remain in force until 8pm on July 31. The notification said the decision was taken because of the prevailing security situation in Nushki. Under the curfew restrictions, residents will not be allowed to leave their homes without permission. Unnecessary movement and travel will also be prohibited. Public gatherings will not be permitted during the curfew. Processions and other activities involving large groups of people will also remain banned. The restrictions are aimed at controlling the situation and ensuring public safety. The notification further stated that the deputy commissioner has the authority to grant exemptions to certain categories of people. Government employees may be allowed to move during the curfew if their duties require it. Medical staff will also be exempted from the restrictions. Rescue personnel and utility workers will also be permitted to perform essential duties. The authorities have warned residents against violating the curfew. According to the notification, strict legal action will be taken against anyone found violating the restrictions. The administration has urged citizens to cooperate with the authorities and remain indoors until the curfew is lifted. The development comes amid heightened concerns over law and order in Nushki. Authorities have imposed the restrictions as a precautionary measure to prevent further incidents and maintain stability. Officials are expected to monitor the situation closely during the curfew period. The restrictions could help security personnel maintain control and ensure the safety of residents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *