modi8217s education minister
|

Modi’s Education Minister quits as Indian yo…

Indian youth protesters called off weeks of demonstrations and celebrated in the streets on Saturday after Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned and Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government bowed to demands including calls to fix a cheating-prone exam system. The worst political crisis of Modi’s third term had peaked this week when thousands of protesters marched on parliament, with police using tear gas to control them.

Young voters form a critical base of Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party. But youths calling themselves “cockroaches” had taken to the streets since late June, after national exam papers were leaked forcing a resit which affected 2 million students and galvanised anger about the lack of prospects for young Indians. The resignation of Pradhan, the students’ primary demand, came as a surprise because Modi’s government had refused to fix the exam system.

Celebrations erupted at the Jantar Mantar protest site in the capital Delhi, with thousands of youngsters chanting victory slogans and dancing. The youth-led Cockroach Janta Party movement, which spearheaded the demonstrations, said it would end its protests. “We have done it,” said Abhijeet Dipke, CJP’s founder, to loud cheers at the site. Youngsters shouted “Jai Hind” as the national anthem played on loudspeakers and sweets were distributed.

Roads around the central business district of Connaught Place near the protest site were shut amid celebrations and a swelling crowd of thousands of protesters. Delhi Metro rail stations in and around the area that were closed for much of four days this week were also opened. “Young generation is here. This is a win for the constitution,” protester Tluanga Ralte said, walking with a copy of the Indian constitution at the protest site after Pradhan’s resignation. “We are not a lazy generation.”

Pradhan, 57, a senior member of Modi’s BJP and the son of a veteran party leader, had been education minister since 2021. He is only the second minister to resign following a scandal since Modi came to power in 2014. Pradhan said he resigned to prevent anti-national forces from exploiting the situation. His resignation marks a significant victory for the youth-led movement, which has highlighted the systemic failures in India’s education system and the broader challenges facing young people in the country.

The protests and their resolution reflect the growing political consciousness and mobilisation of India’s youth, who are increasingly demanding accountability and transparency from their leaders. The government’s concession to the protesters’ demands signals a recognition of the power of youth activism in shaping the country’s political landscape. The movement, which began as a response to exam paper leaks, has grown into a broader critique of the government’s education policies and its approach to addressing the concerns of young Indians. The victory at Jantar Mantar has inspired other youth movements across the country, with activists hoping that this momentum will lead to further reforms. The resignation of Pradhan represents a turning point in the relationship between the government and the younger generation, offering a glimmer of hope for a more responsive and accountable governance system in India. The celebrations in Delhi serve as a reminder of the power of peaceful protest and the importance of listening to the voices of the youth, who are the future of the nation. The coming months will be critical in determining whether the government will follow through on its promises to fix the exam system and address the broader concerns of India’s young population. The youth-led movement has shown that collective action can bring about change, and its legacy is likely to inspire future generations to continue fighting for their rights and aspirations. The resignation of Pradhan is a significant milestone, but the journey towards a more equitable and just education system in India is far from over. The country’s youth remain hopeful that this victory will pave the way for meaningful reforms and a brighter future for all.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Tourist plane crash in Peru kills 13

    LIMA: A tourist aircraft crashed in southern Peru on Saturday, killing all 13 people on board during a sightseeing flight over the world-famous Nazca Lines, authorities confirmed. The aircraft, identified as a Cessna Caravan C-208, was carrying 11 foreign tourists and two pilots when it went down near the Nazca archaeological site shortly after taking off from Pisco Airport. According to officials, the passengers included seven Italian nationals, two Germans and two Spaniards. Emergency responders rushed to the crash site, but there were no survivors. Police and rescue teams launched recovery operations immediately after the accident. Authorities said the impact completely destroyed the aircraft, making rescue efforts impossible. Investigators have begun examining the wreckage to determine what caused the crash. The Nazca Lines, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, attract thousands of visitors every year. The enormous ancient geoglyphs, etched into the desert more than 1,500 years ago, are best viewed from the air, making sightseeing flights a popular tourist activity. Local authorities expressed deep sorrow over the tragedy and extended condolences to the victims’ families. The airline operating the flight said it would cooperate fully with investigators and review its flight operations in line with directives from aviation authorities. The accident is the latest in a series of aviation incidents involving sightseeing flights over the Nazca Lines. Similar crashes in previous years have raised concerns about the safety of tourist flights in the region. Officials said a full investigation is underway to establish the exact circumstances behind the fatal crash.

  • |

    Macron calls crisis meeting as wildfires threaten bordeaux

    French President Emmanuel Macron has called an emergency cabinet meeting to coordinate the response to massive wildfires sweeping through southwestern France, as firefighters work to stop the flames from reaching Bordeaux. The meeting comes amid forecasts of another heatwave later this week, raising concerns that high temperatures could further worsen the situation. Firefighters battled the blaze overnight, while authorities in Gironde, the wine-producing region that includes Bordeaux, described the situation as “broadly stable.” Bordeaux Mayor Thomas Cazenave said Sunday that the fire remained “at the gates of the metropolitan area.” At its closest point, the blaze was around 15 kilometres (9 miles) from the Bordeaux metropolitan area, which is home to roughly 850,000 people. Wildfires across France and Spain have caused widespread disruption and forced more than 300,000 people to evacuate their homes. The fires have intensified as Europe faces record-breaking temperatures, with scientists warning that extreme heat is leaving the continent increasingly dry and vulnerable to wildfires. Europe has already endured three heatwaves this summer, fuelling fires across several countries and contributing to new temperature records.

  • |

    Cuba plunges into darkness as national electric grid collapses

    Cuba’s state-owned grid operator, Union Electrica de Cuba, announced that the national electricity system collapsed late on Sunday night, leaving approximately 10 million residents without power. The widespread outage marks the fourth major blackout to hit the country in recent weeks following three similar grid failures recorded throughout July. The worsening energy crisis is driven by severe fuel shortages, which have left the nation’s ageing power generation facilities unable to meet basic electrical demand. Sanctions and geopolitical shifts have severely restricted the island’s ability to import crude oil. Following the ouster of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in January, a US-imposed oil blockade cut off Cuba’s primary source of imported fuel, while alternative shipments from Mexico have also stopped under pressure from Washington. To mitigate the escalating power supply emergency, the Cuban government has initiated unprecedented reforms by allowing private businesses and foreign-backed entities into its domestic wholesale fuel market.

  • | |

    NCCIA summons Asad Toor over ‘false information?…

    The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has summoned journalist Asad Ali Toor for questioning over allegations of spreading false or misleading information online. According to the notice issued by the agency, the state has been named as the complainant in the case. The inquiry relates to allegations of the dissemination, transmission or public display of information described as false or fake. The proceedings have been initiated under Section 26A of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (Peca) 2016, which deals with the dissemination of false and fake information. The NCCIA has directed Toor to appear before its Cybercrime Reporting Centre in Islamabad at 11am on July 31. The notice warned that failure to appear without a lawful reason could result in the inquiry continuing in his absence. The agency said non-compliance could also lead to action under Section 174 of the Pakistan Penal Code, which concerns failure to attend when ordered by a public servant. Toor confirmed receiving the summons through a post on X. He shared an image of the notice and accompanied it with verses by revolutionary poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz. The development has also raised concerns among journalist organisations over press freedom and the treatment of journalists facing legal proceedings. The National Press Club (NPC) in Islamabad criticised the notice and expressed concern over what it described as growing pressure on the media. The press club said freedom of expression is protected under the Constitution. It argued that journalists should not face legal pressure or retaliation simply for carrying out their professional responsibilities or expressing critical views. The NPC called on relevant institutions to perform their duties within the framework of the law, the Constitution and fundamental rights. It also stressed that free, responsible and safe journalism is essential for a healthy democratic system. The press body urged authorities to withdraw the notice and ensure that journalists’ constitutional and legal rights are protected. It also warned that measures restricting press freedom could create further insecurity among members of the journalist community. This is not the first time Toor has faced legal action under cybercrime laws. He was arrested in 2024 in a case registered under Peca over allegations of running a campaign against state institutions. His arrest at the time prompted criticism from sections of the journalist community. He was subsequently released.

  • | | | |

    Trump says Hormuz reopening near, warns Iran of consequences

    US President Donald Trump has said the Strait of Hormuz could reopen “very soon” as diplomatic efforts with Iran continue, while warning that Tehran would face a strong military response if negotiations fail. Speaking during an interview with Fox News, Trump expressed optimism about the ongoing talks, saying discussions had made significant progress. He claimed Iranian representatives had requested negotiations at a time when the United States was preparing for a large-scale military operation. According to Trump, Washington agreed to engage in dialogue after receiving signals from Tehran that it was willing to negotiate. He stressed that the United States remains committed to preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons and said abandoning the talks would have serious consequences. The US president said negotiators spent the entire day in discussions and described the atmosphere as positive. He added that a successful agreement could help restore normal shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy routes. Trump also suggested that reopening the strategic waterway would ease pressure on global energy markets. He said lower oil prices could eventually translate into cheaper fuel costs for consumers and urged energy companies to reduce gasoline prices if market conditions improve. Speaking later to reporters in California, Trump said developments with Iran were moving in the right direction and indicated that greater clarity on the negotiations could emerge within the next 48 hours. Diplomatic efforts are reportedly being supported by regional mediators, including Oman and Qatar. Discussions are focused on restoring safe maritime navigation through the Strait of Hormuz while reducing tensions between Washington and Tehran. However, Iranian officials have maintained that progress depends on an end to US threats and continued respect for Iran’s sovereignty. The Strait of Hormuz is a vital global shipping lane through which a significant share of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas exports passes. Any disruption to traffic through the waterway has immediate consequences for international energy markets and global trade. Financial markets reacted positively to reports of progress in the negotiations. Oil prices declined while Asian stock markets advanced on expectations that a diplomatic breakthrough could reduce regional tensions and restore uninterrupted shipping. Meanwhile, reports from Israel indicated growing concern over Washington’s diplomatic approach. Some Israeli officials reportedly believe the United States is prioritising a negotiated settlement with Iran, although no official Israeli government statement has confirmed those claims.

  • |

    US House approves $1.15 trillion defense budget package

    The US House of Representatives has passed a $1.15 trillion defense budget bill by a narrow vote of 216 to 212. Supported by a majority of Republicans and six Democrats, the legislation includes provisions to deepen defense ties and military technology integration with Israel. The bill faced internal pushback, with Congressman Thomas Massie raising concerns over integrating US military technology and supply chains with Israel. The passage follows a major funding request from the Trump administration, which asked Congress for nearly $87 billion in supplemental appropriations to support ongoing operations against Iran. Appropriations Committee, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth stated that military action against Iran has cost $37.5 billion so far, including projected costs through September 30. Hegseth urged lawmakers to maintain robust military spending, arguing that failing to provide the full defense budget represents the single greatest threat to national security.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *