|

Mohammad Amir questions Babar Azam’s Test captaincy return

LAHORE: Former Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir has questioned the Pakistan Cricket Board’s decision to reappoint Babar Azam as the national Test captain, saying the star batter should have been allowed to focus entirely on his batting rather than taking on the added responsibility of leadership.

Babar recently returned as Pakistan’s Test skipper after replacing Shan Masood, whose tenure ended after 16 matches, during which Pakistan recorded four wins and suffered 12 defeats.

The appointment marks Babar’s second stint as Test captain, having previously led the national side from 2020 to 2023. The PCB’s decision has generated considerable discussion among former players and cricket analysts, with opinions divided over whether the move will strengthen the team’s performance.

Speaking during an interview with Wisden, Amir said he was not convinced that handing the captaincy back to Babar was the right decision, especially at a time when the batter had only recently regained his form after a prolonged lean patch.

According to Amir, Babar’s improved performances with the bat should have been the team’s primary priority, rather than placing additional expectations on him through captaincy.

“He has only just started performing well again after a long period. He’s finally looking in good rhythm,” Amir said, suggesting that leadership duties could once again distract him from maintaining consistency with the bat.

The former left-arm pacer also highlighted the intense scrutiny faced by Pakistan’s captains, noting that media attention and public expectations make the role particularly demanding.

He argued that every decision taken by the captain is closely examined, creating constant pressure both on and off the field. In his view, such an environment could affect a player’s confidence and performance if they are already carrying the responsibility of being the team’s leading batter.

Amir, who represented Pakistan in 36 Tests, 61 One-Day Internationals and 62 T20 Internationals, described Babar as the country’s finest batter and said his greatest contribution comes through scoring runs.

“I believe Babar should have played as a player with a free mind and less pressure because he is the best player Pakistan has right now,” he said.

While stressing that his remarks reflected his personal opinion, Amir concluded that reappointing Babar as Test captain was not the ideal solution for Pakistan cricket. He added that protecting the team’s premier batter from additional pressure would have been a better long-term strategy as Pakistan looks to rebuild its Test fortunes.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    7 CBS Shows Going on Breaks Amid March Madness

    The NCAA’s 2026 March Madness tournament is upon us, and CBS’ scripted schedule will be looking a little bit different as basketball takes over the network for the rest of the month. Games for the annual men’s college basketball event begin Tuesday, March 17, but it’s not until the first round kicks off on Thursday, […]

  • | |

    Justice Babar Sattar told to vacate official house

    Justice Babar Sattar has been directed to vacate his official residence in Islamabad after the cancellation of its government allotment following his transfer to the Peshawar High Court. According to an official notice issued by the Registrar of the Islamabad High Court, Justice Sattar has been given 30 days to hand over the residence. The notice states that the Estate Office cancelled the allotment of the government house on July 3 after his transfer from the Islamabad High Court to the Peshawar High Court. The document explains that the one-month notice period began on July 3, the same day the official accommodation was withdrawn. Justice Sattar has been instructed to vacate the residence within that period in accordance with government rules governing official housing for judges transferred to another high court. The move follows Justice Sattar’s transfer to the Peshawar High Court, where he is expected to perform his judicial duties after leaving the Islamabad High Court. Sources familiar with the matter said that after the transfer, Justice Sattar did not apply for or obtain an official residence in Peshawar. Instead, he reportedly decided to continue staying in the government house allotted to him in Islamabad. The notice highlights that the cancellation of the residence allotment was carried out by the Estate Office, making the continued occupation of the house subject to the expiry of the notice period. The registrar’s office formally communicated the decision to ensure compliance with the applicable administrative procedures. The development comes as part of the routine administrative process that follows the transfer of judges between high courts. Under the existing rules, official accommodation is generally linked to the judge’s place of posting, and transferred judges are required to vacate residences allocated at their previous station once the prescribed notice period expires.

  • |

    North Korea official blasts ASEAN for urging denuclearisation

    Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and a central figure in Pyongyang’s foreign policy, has launched a fierce verbal attack against the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) following calls for the complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula. In an official statement published by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), she condemned the position adopted at last week’s annual ASEAN Regional Forum in Manila as “stupid and foolish”, dismissing regional hopes for nuclear disarmament as an outdated delusion. The dispute was triggered by the release of the ASEAN Regional Forum chair’s statement, in which foreign ministers from across the Indo-Pacific region expressed grave concern over North Korea’s continued development of nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs. The joint declaration urged compliance with relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions and called for international dialogue to achieve lasting peace and stability through a peaceful, denuclearised peninsula. Kim Yo Jong expressed strong dissatisfaction with the bloc, accusing ASEAN of displaying an undisguised hostile attitude and acting as a hired mouthpiece for the United States. She argued that adhering to the concept of denuclearisation represents a complete failure of strategic logic, stating that the objective has lost all meaning both conceptually and practically. She further accused the regional body of ignoring North Korea’s national constitution, which was updated in 2023 to formally enshrine its status as a nuclear-armed state. Pyongyang has maintained for years that its nuclear arsenal serves as an essential deterrence mechanism to protect national sovereignty, despite facing heavy international sanctions and prohibitions from the UN Security Council. Reaffirming the regime’s stance that its nuclear capabilities represent a “line of no retreat”, Kim Yo Jong emphasised that North Korea’s nuclear status is final and completely irreversible, adding that its arsenal will continue to be updated steadily without pause regardless of external pressure or diplomatic rhetoric.

  • | |

    Danish-Anmol’s Nishtar teaser sets screens on fire

    Pakistani actors Danish Taimoor and Anmol Baloch are set to share the screen in an upcoming drama serial, Nishtar, which is expected to be another major television project for the two stars. The first teaser of the drama has been released, giving viewers a glimpse into what appears to be an intense story filled with power, ambition, pride and romance. Danish Taimoor will reportedly play a powerful and confident young man whose life revolves around wealth, influence and authority. His character appears to have a strong personality and an attitude shaped by his privileged background. Anmol Baloch, meanwhile, will portray a fearless woman who enters his life and challenges his established way of thinking. The teaser suggests that her arrival could become a turning point for the central character and dramatically change the direction of his life. The drama has been written by renowned writer Maha Malik and directed by Seraj Ul Haq, who is known for his work on popular television projects. Abdullah Kadwani and Asad Qureshi are serving as producers. The project features a large ensemble cast, including Usman Peerzada, Haroon Shahid, Yousuf Bashir Qureshi, Shahnawaz Zaidi, Mahmood Aslam, Nida Mumtaz, Ali Dayyan Walji, Muhammad Faizan Sheikh, Ramsha Salahuddin, Syed Afzal Ali, Fatima Gohar, Ayesha Gul, Laiba Rehman Butt, Zarafshan Amir, Annie Zaidi, Muhammad Asad Gojar and Talia Jan. Danish Taimoor is among Pakistan’s well-known television actors and has appeared in several successful dramas over the years. His performances in projects such as Deewangi, Kaisi Teri Khudgarzi, Jaan Nisar and Ishq Hai have earned him a large following. Anmol Baloch has also gained recognition through her performances in dramas including Siyani, Sirf Tum and Iqtidar. Her pairing with Danish Taimoor has already generated interest among television audiences. The teaser has sparked excitement among fans, particularly those looking forward to seeing Danish return in an intense role. Many viewers have also expressed curiosity about the chemistry between the two lead actors.

  • |

    Salman Khan urges students to stay calm amid NEET protest

    Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has shared an important message amid the ongoing student protests over the alleged NEET examination paper leak, urging students to remain calm and reassuring them that the matter is receiving attention at the highest level. In a statement posted on his Instagram account, the actor addressed students participating in demonstrations related to the controversy surrounding the national medical entrance examination. He emphasized that the education and safety of young people should remain the country’s top priority. Salman Khan encouraged students not to let the situation create additional stress for themselves or their families. According to the actor, students should avoid unnecessary anxiety and trust that the authorities will investigate the matter thoroughly. He also referred to the Prime Minister’s public remarks on the issue, saying that he believes strict action will be taken against anyone found responsible for the alleged examination paper leak. Salman expressed confidence that those involved would be held accountable through the legal process. The actor appealed to students to return home and focus on their well-being while allowing the authorities to complete their investigation. He said that students should prioritize their health and avoid placing further emotional strain on their parents during this difficult period. In the same message, Salman Khan also addressed education reform activist Sonam Wangchuk, who has reportedly been observing a hunger strike for nearly 25 days. Speaking directly to Wangchuk, Salman requested that he end his fast, saying that enough time had passed and that continuing the hunger strike could put his health at serious risk. While acknowledging Wangchuk’s commitment to raising awareness through peaceful protest, the actor suggested that preserving his health was equally important. Salman added that if public demonstrations become necessary again in the future, Wangchuk could always continue his activism. However, he said he did not believe there was a need to prolong the hunger strike at the present moment In a light-hearted remark, the Bollywood star even offered to send food from his own home if Wangchuk agreed to end his fast, a gesture that quickly drew attention across social media. This was Salman Khan’s second public appeal on the issue within 24 hours. Earlier, he had also expressed concern over the alleged irregularities in the NEET examination process and stressed the importance of protecting students’ interests while ensuring that the investigation proceeds fairly and transparently. The NEET controversy has triggered widespread demonstrations in different parts of India, with students demanding a transparent inquiry into the alleged paper leak. Protesters have called for accountability, stricter measures against those responsible, and reforms aimed at safeguarding the credibility of the country’s examination system. The alleged paper leak has sparked a broader debate about the integrity of competitive examinations, with students and education advocates urging authorities to strengthen security measures and restore confidence in the examination process. As the investigation continues, the issue remains one of the most closely watched education-related developments in India, with thousands of students hoping for a fair resolution and stronger safeguards for future examinations.

  • | | |

    FBR starts fiscal year strong with rs810 billion t…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) kicked off the new fiscal year on a positive note by surpassing its July tax collection target, although a shortfall in income tax receipts and the government’s decision to reject a key enforcement proposal highlighted the challenges that lie ahead. According to provisional figures, the FBR collected Rs810 billion in July, exceeding its monthly target by Rs30 billion. The collection also marked a 7% increase compared to Rs757 billion collected during the same month last year. The strong performance was largely driven by robust sales tax collections, which reached Rs358 billion, surpassing the target by Rs53 billion and recording an 18% year-on-year increase. A significant 78% of total sales tax, amounting to Rs275 billion, was collected at the import stage, where tax compliance is generally higher. However, income tax collection remained below expectations. The FBR collected more than Rs300 billion in income tax, falling Rs23 billion short of the target. Analysts attributed the shortfall to advance tax collections made in June to meet last fiscal year’s revised revenue goals, along with reduced withholding tax rates for salaried individuals and property transactions introduced in the latest federal budget. Meanwhile, customs duty collection stood at Rs105 billion, matching the target, while federal excise duty generated Rs48 billion, slightly exceeding expectations. The July performance marks the beginning of a crucial fiscal year in which the government has committed to collecting Rs15.263 trillion in taxes under an agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Meeting the annual target is considered essential for securing future IMF loan disbursements and creating fiscal space for development, defence and water resource projects. The FBR also reported encouraging progress in tax compliance, receiving around 227,000 income tax returns during July after updated tax return forms became available. Additionally, the authority issued Rs98 billion in tax refunds, approximately Rs13 billion more than in the same period last year. Despite the positive revenue performance, the federal cabinet declined an FBR proposal to activate restrictions on high-value purchases by individuals with insufficient declared assets. Had the proposal been approved, it would have limited the purchase of luxury vehicles, expensive properties, large stock investments and major cash withdrawals by non-compliant taxpayers. Economic observers say the government’s ability to sustain monthly revenue growth will be closely watched, as consistent tax collection remains critical to maintaining fiscal stability and meeting commitments under Pakistan’s economic reform programme.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *