oil prices slide
|

Oil prices slide as US-Iran tensions ease

Global oil prices declined by about 1% on Tuesday as investors assessed the possibility of a diplomatic breakthrough between the United States and Iran.

Brent crude futures fell by 54 cents, or 0.6%, to $87.82 a barrel. US West Texas Intermediate crude dropped 66 cents, or 0.8%, to $81.95 a barrel.

Both benchmarks had fallen by around 1% earlier in the session. They reached their lowest levels in more than a week.

The decline came after US President Donald Trump said Washington was engaged in positive talks with Iran. He also indicated that a settlement could be possible.

However, Trump warned that US strikes could resume if negotiations fail. Iran has also indicated that it would respond to further attacks.

The possibility of diplomatic progress has reduced some concerns about disruptions to oil supplies from the Middle East.

Analysts said the market remained highly uncertain. Any breakdown in negotiations could quickly push oil prices higher.

Concerns about attacks by Yemen-based Houthi fighters have also influenced the market.

Officials in Yemen have warned that the Houthis could seek to disrupt shipping through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. The waterway is an important route for international energy shipments.

Market analysts remain uncertain about whether the Houthis have the ability to impose a complete blockade. However, shipping activity in the Red Sea and nearby waters has already declined significantly.

The Strait of Hormuz is another major concern for energy markets. It is a key route for global oil shipments.

Recent data showed that oil and refined product exports through the strait had dropped sharply.

Net exports averaged around 2.9 million barrels per day in the week ending July 24. The figure was nearly 5.9 million barrels per day during the previous week.

The lower shipping volumes have added to concerns about global energy supplies.

However, analysts said weaker demand was also preventing oil prices from rising further.

Demand in Asia has been particularly affected. Slower consumption could reduce pressure on the global oil market.

Investors are also watching US energy inventory data.

A preliminary market survey indicated that US crude oil stocks probably declined last week. Gasoline inventories were also expected to fall.

Distillate stocks, which include diesel and heating oil, were estimated to have increased.

The market is now closely following developments in US-Iran talks.

A successful diplomatic agreement could reduce fears about supply disruptions and support the normal flow of energy shipments.

A breakdown in negotiations, however, could revive concerns over attacks and shipping disruptions.

Similar Posts

  • |

    UK petrol theft hits £200,000 a day amid fuel price surge

    The sharp rise in fuel prices across the United Kingdom has triggered a significant increase in petrol theft, with filling stations now losing an estimated £200,000 worth of fuel every day, according to media reports. Petrol station operators have reported a growing number of “drive-off” incidents, where motorists fill their vehicles with fuel and leave without making payment. The trend has become increasingly common as higher fuel costs continue to put pressure on household budgets. Reports indicate that the overall financial impact of fuel theft has climbed by 48 percent following the recent surge in petrol and diesel prices. Retailers say the increase has added to the challenges already facing fuel station businesses, many of which are struggling with rising operating costs. The spike in fuel prices followed heightened tensions during the Iran conflict, when global oil markets experienced sharp volatility. During that period, the price of petrol reportedly increased by 27 pence per litre, while diesel prices rose by 37 pence per litre, making fuel significantly more expensive for consumers. Industry representatives warn that the consequences extend beyond financial losses. According to the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), the rise in fuel prices has also been accompanied by an increase in abusive and aggressive behaviour directed at petrol station employees. Pump attendants have reportedly faced more verbal harassment and confrontations from frustrated customers. Fuel retailers are urging authorities to take stronger action against theft and improve security measures at filling stations. They also stress the need for greater protection for frontline staff, who are increasingly being exposed to difficult and sometimes dangerous situations while carrying out their duties.

  • | |

    Dylan Mulvaney responds after Trump remarks

    Transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney has responded after US President Donald Trump mentioned her several times during his speech at the rescheduled White House Correspondents’ Dinner, saying she was surprised to remain a topic of conversation years after her controversial Bud Light partnership. Mulvaney addressed the remarks in a TikTok video, where she congratulated CNN correspondent Kaitlan Collins before responding to Trump’s comments. The White House Correspondents’ Dinner, originally scheduled for April, was postponed after a gunman opened fire while the event was underway. During his speech on Friday, Trump congratulated CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins on receiving a journalism award before joking about her success and comparing her to Mulvaney. Trump said, “I thought Kaitlan had really made it big with a major new sponsorship, but then I informed her that it wasn’t her on the Bud Light can, it was Dylan Mulvaney.” He went on to criticise Mulvaney’s 2023 promotional campaign with Bud Light, adding, “Dylan Mulvaney cost Bud Light $35 billion in market cap. That was the worst commercial ever made by the way, for those few people who want to hear that. Most people don’t care, but I would. I wouldn’t want to hire Dylan any time soon.” According to the report, Trump later shared an edited image on social media that placed Kaitlan Collins’ face onto Mulvaney’s body from the Bud Light advertisement, further extending the joke beyond the dinner. The post quickly circulated online and generated widespread discussion on social media. In a TikTok response posted on Sunday, Mulvaney began by congratulating Collins on her award. She said, “I would like to tell her that I’m incredibly honored to be compared to her in any way, and I hope that she keeps doing all the great work.” She then pointed out that Trump had mentioned her repeatedly during his speech, saying, “And yet I am still his topic of conversation all these years later.” Reflecting on the continued attention she receives, Mulvaney added, “It seems to me that I might be like the one that got away for these men.” She also made it clear that she would not want support from an administration whose policies she believes do not support her or many others, stating, “I wouldn’t want to be professionally supported by an administration that doesn’t personally support me or so many others in this country.” Mulvaney concluded her video with a pointed remark about the criticism she has received from the administration. “Maybe being publicly mocked and criticized by this administration is actually like the greatest compliment of all,” she said. Her response has since gone viral, drawing mixed reactions online, with supporters praising her composure while critics continued debating the controversy surrounding her Bud Light partnership and Trump’s remarks. 

  • | | |

    PM Shehbaz orders urgent flood relief nationwide

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has directed the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to intensify relief efforts and ensure maximum assistance for people affected by ongoing monsoon rains and floods. The prime minister issued the instructions during a meeting with NDMA Chairman Lieutenant General Inam Haider Malik in Islamabad on Saturday. He ordered authorities to utilise all available resources to support flood-hit communities and provide immediate relief to those facing difficult conditions. Shehbaz also stressed close coordination between the NDMA, provincial governments and Provincial Disaster Management Authorities (PDMAs) to ensure relief operations remain effective and reach affected populations without delay. During the meeting, the NDMA chairman briefed the prime minister on the latest weather conditions and the flood situation resulting from heavy monsoon rainfall. He also provided an update on relief operations and ongoing measures to rehabilitate people displaced or affected by the flooding. According to the briefing, federal authorities are supporting relief activities in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Rescue and assistance operations in these areas will continue with the cooperation of the federal government. The prime minister also praised the NDMA’s use of artificial intelligence and modern technology at the National Emergencies Operation Centre, saying advanced systems could strengthen disaster monitoring and response. The latest figures show the growing impact of monsoon-related incidents across the country. The NDMA reported that at least 155 people have died and 460 others have been injured in rain-related incidents between June 26 and August 14. Pakistan’s monsoon season generally lasts from June to September and plays an important role in replenishing water resources. However, intense rainfall can also cause flash floods, river flooding, landslides and displacement, particularly in vulnerable communities. The situation could remain challenging in the coming days. The Flood Forecasting Division of the Pakistan Meteorological Department has warned of possible high-level flooding in storm-water channels connected to the Chenab and Ravi rivers between August 15 and 21 as water levels continue to rise.

  • | |

    Kim Kardashian shares loved-up beach moment with b…

    Kim Kardashian has given fans another glimpse into her romance with Lewis Hamilton, and this time, the couple’s tropical getaway has offered a particularly sweet look at their growing relationship. The reality star and SKIMS founder recently shared a collection of vacation photos on Instagram, capturing sunny beach moments, family time and intimate snapshots with the Formula 1 champion. Kardashian captioned the post, “Somewhere over the rainbow 🌈,” adding a dreamy touch to the holiday memories. (People.com⁠) Among the photos was a loved-up selfie featuring Kardashian and Hamilton together. The pair appeared comfortable and affectionate, giving followers a rare look at their private time away from their busy careers. The getaway was not simply a romantic escape. Kardashian was joined by members of her family, including her sister Khloé Kardashian and Khloé’s children. Kardashian’s own children also appeared in the vacation pictures, enjoying activities such as surfing and playing on the beach. (People.com⁠) Hamilton’s presence during a family holiday is particularly notable because Kardashian has generally been careful about keeping her personal relationships private. His involvement in family occasions has increasingly suggested that the Formula 1 star has become an important part of her life. The couple’s romance first attracted widespread attention earlier in 2026. Kardashian and Hamilton had known each other for years, but dating rumors began gaining momentum after they were reportedly seen together during a romantic trip to Paris in February. (ELLE⁠) Their relationship later became more public. The pair made their romance Instagram official in April, when Hamilton shared a video featuring Kardashian during a high-speed Ferrari drive in Japan. They were also photographed enjoying a PDA-filled beach outing in Malibu, where they hugged and spent time together in the water. (People.com⁠) Since then, Kardashian and Hamilton have continued to share occasional glimpses of their time together. They have also been spotted supporting each other at professional and personal events, while managing demanding schedules on opposite sides of the Atlantic. For Kardashian, the latest beach photos appear to show a more relaxed side of her relationship. Rather than a glamorous red-carpet appearance, the pictures capture simple moments of travel, family and affection. Fans have naturally been paying close attention to the couple’s latest update, with many celebrating how comfortable they appear together. Although Kardashian has not publicly shared every detail of their relationship, her latest vacation post speaks volumes. The combination of romance and family time suggests that Hamilton is becoming increasingly woven into her everyday world. For now, the couple seems content enjoying their time together away from the spotlight. And with Kardashian offering another rare glimpse into their romance, fans are clearly eager to see what comes next.

  • |

    Oscar-winning musician Glen Hansard dies in Dublin motorcycle crash

    Oscar-winning Irish singer, songwriter and actor Glen Hansard has died following a motorcycle crash in Dublin. He was 56. Police said the single vehicle accident happened in the early hours of Wednesday on Lower Road in Lucan, west of the Irish capital, and have appealed for witnesses as investigations continue. Hansard rose to international fame as the lead singer of the rock band The Frames and later gained worldwide recognition through the independent film Once. He also appeared in the 1991 film The Commitments, where he played guitarist Outspan Foster. Before achieving success, he spent years performing as a street musician in Dublin, building a reputation for his powerful voice and heartfelt songwriting. His greatest international achievement came in 2008 when he and Czech musician Markéta Irglová won the Academy Awards for Best Original Song with Falling Slowly, written for the low budget film Once. The film, which tells the story of two musicians who form a creative partnership in Dublin, became a global success after winning the World Cinema Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival. Its Broadway adaptation later earned eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Hansard also performed as one half of the musical duo The Swell Season and released several solo albums during his career. His 2015 album Didn’t He Ramble received a Grammy nomination for Best Folk Album, further establishing him as one of Ireland’s most respected contemporary musicians. Away from the stage, Hansard was widely admired for his charitable work. In 2010, he launched Dublin’s annual Christmas Eve charity busk to raise funds for the Dublin Simon Community. The event became a yearly tradition, attracting well known artists including Bono, Sinéad O’Connor, Imelda May and Shane MacGowan while raising awareness and support for people experiencing homelessness. The charity paid tribute to Hansard following news of his death, describing him as a generous supporter whose compassion extended far beyond his music. It praised his dedication to social justice and said his work had made a lasting difference in the lives of vulnerable people across Ireland. Hansard is survived by his wife and their three year old son. In a BBC interview in 2023, he spoke about how becoming a father had transformed his life, describing the experience as something that changed his outlook completely and brought him immense happiness. His management company confirmed his death in a statement, saying his family was devastated by the tragic loss and requested privacy during this difficult time. Friends and fellow artists also shared heartfelt tributes. Actor Chris O’Dowd remembered Hansard as a musician whose songs deeply moved listeners, while fellow The Commitments actor Andrew Strong described his death as a heartbreaking and senseless loss. Waterboys frontman Mike Scott and Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin also honored Hansard’s contribution to Irish culture, praising his remarkable talent and expressing sympathy to his family, friends and fans. Hansard’s career spanned more than three decades, during which he became one of Ireland’s most recognizable musical voices. Through his songwriting, performances and charitable work, he left a lasting legacy that reached audiences far beyond his home country.

  • | | |

    Pakistan, US renew Fulbright partnership for five …

    Pakistan and the United States have renewed their cooperation in higher education through a new five-year agreement between the Higher Education Commission (HEC) and the United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP). The agreement will run from the 2026-27 financial year through 2031-32. It will continue several major academic exchange and scholarship programmes for Pakistani students, researchers and professionals. The renewed partnership covers the Fulbright Master’s and PhD programmes. It also includes the Visiting Scholar Programme for post-doctoral researchers, the Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Programme and the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme. Under the new arrangement, the partners aim to support 66 Pakistani PhD scholars over the five-year period. Additional opportunities will be available through the other programmes covered by the agreement. The initiative is designed to help Pakistani students and academics access advanced education and research opportunities in the United States. Scholars are expected to bring back their expertise and contribute to the country’s academic and socio-economic development. The HEC will provide at least $4.54 million each year under the agreement. Its overall financial commitment for the five-year period has been capped at Rs6.48 billion. The funding will be released according to an agreed schedule. The arrangement includes an initial payment of $2 million by June 30, followed by another $2 million by January 31. The remaining amount will be released by April 30, subject to the availability of government funds. Any interest generated from HEC funds held by USEFP will be used again for student grants. This will provide additional support to beneficiaries of the programme. The selection of candidates will remain strictly merit-based. There will be no fixed quotas based on region, group or category. HEC representatives will also participate in selection panels. The commission will help identify areas of study that are considered important for Pakistan’s development and national priorities. The two institutions will establish a Joint Review Committee to monitor the programme. The committee will meet twice a year to assess progress, performance and the overall impact of the initiative. Financial oversight has also been included in the agreement. USEFP will provide annual audited financial statements to HEC. Relevant financial records will also remain available for review by the commission when required. The partnership will also focus on increasing awareness about international education opportunities. HEC and USEFP plan to conduct joint outreach activities across Pakistan. The initiative will use HEC’s network of universities and higher education institutions to reach a wider pool of potential applicants. The agreement also leaves room for future cooperation in areas such as faculty exchanges, administrator exchanges and other academic initiatives. The renewed arrangement builds on the earlier Fulbright-HEC PhD partnership signed in February 2016. Under that agreement, $25.786 million was committed to support 125 Pakistani scholars between 2016 and 2020.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *