pakistan hails hamas
| | | |

Pakistan hails Hamas disarmament progress, under p…

Pakistan has welcomed recent progress under the Gaza Peace Plan, describing developments toward Hamas’ disarmament as a positive step that could help revive efforts for a lasting political solution and the creation of an independent Palestinian state.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif praised the mediation efforts of the United States, Egypt, Qatar, and Türkiye after US President Donald Trump announced that an agreement had been reached for the complete disarmament of Hamas. The announcement is viewed as a significant breakthrough in implementing the Gaza ceasefire framework, as the issue of Hamas’ weapons has remained one of the main obstacles since the truce was reached in October 2025.

In a statement shared on social media, the prime minister said Pakistan supports the ongoing work of the Board of Peace and expressed hope that all commitments under the Gaza Peace Plan would now move toward practical implementation. He emphasized that sustained diplomatic efforts should lead to a credible, time-bound political process in line with United Nations resolutions, ultimately ensuring the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination through the establishment of an independent state.

According to Hamas officials, a committee operating under the Board of Peace will supervise the storage of the group’s weapons as part of the agreed process. The organization has also urged mediators to ensure that Israel fulfills its obligations under the ceasefire, including the withdrawal of its forces from Gaza.

Although the ceasefire has reduced large-scale fighting, violence has not completely stopped. Fresh Israeli strikes reportedly killed at least four Palestinians, including two children, highlighting the fragile security situation despite ongoing diplomatic efforts.

Meanwhile, Egyptian media reported that Cairo is expected to host another meeting of the ceasefire mediators, including representatives from the United States, Qatar, and Türkiye, to discuss the next phase of the peace plan.

Pakistan has consistently maintained its support for the Palestinian cause and continues to advocate for an independent Palestinian state based on the pre-1967 borders, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital. Islamabad, which has no diplomatic relations with Israel, has repeatedly urged the international community to work toward a peaceful resolution of the conflict through dialogue and adherence to international law.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Rawalakot election possible on August 20 or 21 if …

    Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Chief Election Commissioner Ghulam Mustafa Mughal has said that elections in Rawalakot could be held on August 20 or 21 if the ongoing protest is resolved within the next three to four days. Speaking to the media in Muzaffarabad, Mughal said polling in Bagh and Haveli was scheduled to take place first due to security concerns. He said security personnel had already arrived in the two districts, while polling material was being transported under the supervision of the military. He added that eight security personnel would be deployed at each highly sensitive polling station to ensure the safety of voters and election staff. The chief election commissioner said efforts were also under way to restore internet services in Bagh and Haveli on August 9 and 10. Mughal said the Election Commission expected to be in a position to announce the polling date for Rawalakot within the next seven days. However, the final schedule would depend on the resolution of the ongoing protest. “If the protest is resolved within three or four days, elections in Rawalakot can be held on August 20 or 21,” he said. Responding to allegations made by political leaders, Mughal said the Election Commission could not engage in a war of words with politicians. He said the commission would provide the facts once the electoral process had been completed and would determine whether any irregularities had occurred and who was responsible.

  • |

    Banks, SBP and PSX to remain closed for three days

    Banks and other financial institutions across Pakistan will observe a three-day closure from August 14 to August 16 in connection with Independence Day and the regular weekend holidays. According to a circular issued by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), the central bank, commercial banks, financial institutions and the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) will remain closed on Friday, August 14, which has been declared a public holiday on account of Independence Day. The closure will be followed by the regular weekend holidays on Saturday and Sunday, August 15 and 16, respectively. As a result, banking and stock market activities will remain suspended for three consecutive days. The holiday schedule is expected to affect routine banking operations, including branch-based customer services and other in-person transactions. Customers who need to visit bank branches or carry out services that require physical processing have been advised to plan their transactions accordingly. However, the closure will not affect digital banking facilities. The SBP said automated teller machines (ATMs), internet banking and other online banking services will continue to operate during the holidays. Customers will therefore be able to access cash through ATMs and use digital channels for eligible transactions throughout the three-day break. Regular banking and financial market operations are expected to resume on Monday, August 17, when banks, financial institutions and the stock market reopen after the Independence Day holiday and weekend.

  • |

    South Korea heatwave death toll rises to 16

    South Korea is facing an intense heatwave that has claimed at least 16 lives so far this year, as soaring temperatures continue to put millions of people at risk. According to data released by the South Korean Ministry of the Interior and Safety, 2,025 people suffered from heat-related illnesses between May 15 and August 2. Of those affected, 16 people died from complications linked to the extreme heat. The country has experienced a sharp rise in temperatures over the past week, with daily heat records broken three times. On Sunday, the city of Yangsan recorded a temperature of 42.5 degrees Celsius, marking the highest temperature ever recorded in South Korea. Authorities have also issued a severe heatwave warning for the capital, Seoul, where temperatures are expected to climb close to 40 degrees Celsius again. Officials have urged residents to take precautions, particularly during the hottest hours of the day, and to stay hydrated while limiting outdoor activities. The extreme weather has raised concerns for vulnerable groups, including older adults and people with disabilities. To protect those most at risk, medical workers are monitoring the health of around 63,000 highly vulnerable individuals across the country. Officials are encouraging citizens to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, drink plenty of water and seek medical assistance if they experience symptoms such as dizziness, weakness, confusion or unusually high body temperature. The latest figures highlight the growing impact of the prolonged heatwave, with authorities continuing to closely monitor conditions and take measures to reduce the risks associated with extreme temperatures.

  • | | |

    Pakistan seeks early refinancing of $1.3 billion C…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has formally requested China to speed up the refinancing of a $1.3 billion commercial loan as Islamabad seeks to strengthen its foreign exchange reserves and ease pressure on its external financing position. According to sources, Pakistani authorities are currently holding discussions with their Chinese counterparts to complete the refinancing process at the earliest. The two sides are working to finalize the required terms, conditions, and procedural requirements. Officials expect the refinancing arrangements to conclude soon, with the funds likely to reach Pakistan within the current month if the remaining formalities are completed on schedule. Sources within the Ministry of Finance said the government expects the timely arrival of the funds to provide much-needed support to the country’s foreign exchange reserves. The refinancing would also help Pakistan manage its external debt obligations without placing additional pressure on its existing reserve position. Pakistan made external payments of around $2.2 billion in July, including the repayment of approximately $1.3 billion in Chinese commercial financing. The government now seeks to refinance the repaid amount to maintain liquidity and strengthen its financial position. The move comes as Pakistan continues to manage its external financing requirements and maintain adequate foreign exchange reserves to meet upcoming debt repayments and other international payment obligations. The successful completion of the refinancing deal with China would offer temporary relief to the country’s external account and support overall financial stability.

  • |

    Babar Azam’s England Test return in doubt after hand injury

    LEEDS: Pakistan captain Babar Azam’s participation in the opening Test against England has become uncertain after the star batter suffered a blow to his hand during a practice match against the PCC Select XI. Babar was batting on five in the 39th over when a delivery from fast bowler Manny Lumsden struck his hand. The right-hander immediately appeared uncomfortable and received treatment from the team’s medical staff before retiring hurt. The Pakistan Cricket Board later advised Babar to rest as a precaution, but a final decision on his availability for the first Test has not yet been made. The development comes at a crucial moment for Pakistan, with the three-match Test series against England scheduled to begin on Wednesday at Headingley. Babar had returned as Pakistan’s Test captain earlier this year and was selected to lead the side throughout the England tour. Babar’s possible absence would be a significant concern for Pakistan, particularly given his importance in the middle order and his leadership role. The team management is expected to take no risks with the experienced batter and will assess his condition before confirming the playing XI. Babar briefly took part in a training session at Headingley on Monday, offering some encouragement to Pakistan. However, his availability is expected to be assessed again after Tuesday’s practice session, when the medical team should have a clearer picture of his recovery. Meanwhile, Shan Masood has also resumed training in Leeds and could feature in the opening Test. Shan had been sidelined after fracturing a finger while batting during the first Test against the West Indies in Tarouba. Despite the injury, he returned to the crease in the second innings but was unable to bat in his regular position. Subsequent scans confirmed the fracture, ruling him out of the second Test. Pakistan will hope both senior batters are fit as they prepare for a demanding series in England. The first Test is scheduled for August 19-23 at Headingley, followed by matches at Lord’s and Edgbaston. With the opener only days away, Babar’s fitness has emerged as one of the biggest talking points around Pakistan’s preparations. The team will await medical clearance before deciding whether its captain is ready to take the field. Pakistan squad Babar Azam (c), Aamir Jamal, Ali Usman, Abdullah Shafique, Azan Awais, Imam-ul-Haq, Khurram Shahzad, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Mohammad Awais Zafar, Muhammad Ghazi Ghori (wk), Sajid Khan, Salman Ali Agha, Saud Shakeel* (subject to fitness), Shan Masood and Ubaid Shah.

  • |

    PMD issues high flood alert as Head Marala records over 205,000 cusecs inflow

    SIALKOT: The Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) has issued a High Flood Level Advisory for the River Chenab, warning that high water flows are expected to persist over the next 6 to 8 hours before gradually receding as rainfall over the upper catchments continues to decrease. According to the latest flood monitoring data, Head Marala has reached a high flood level, with water inflow recorded at 205,488 cusecs and outflow at 187,388 cusecs, indicating sustained high water levels in the Chenab River system. The Flood Forecasting Division (FFD) said the high flood situation has been caused by heavy rainfall across the upper Chenab catchment, as observed through hydro-meteorological data and the Sialkot weather radar. Although rainfall has now weakened across the major sub-catchments, river flows are expected to remain high for the next several hours before gradually declining. The advisory states that the River Chenab at Marala will likely remain at High Flood Level for the next 6 to 8 hours, provided current rainfall trends continue. It further warns that Khanki and Qadirabad are expected to reach High Flood Level within the next 10 to 12 hours. Besides the Chenab, the Jammu Tawi River is currently experiencing a medium-level flood, with a recorded inflow of 11,868 cusecs, while the Manawar Tawi is flowing at a low flood level, carrying 8,123 cusecs of water. The PMD has cautioned that residents living in riverine (Kacha) areas adjacent to the Chenab may face hazardous conditions and should avoid unnecessary movement near riverbanks and flood-prone locations until water levels begin to recede. The advisory also warns that standing crops, fodder fields and livestock in low-lying floodplain areas remain vulnerable to inundation. Low-lying roads, river crossings, embankment approaches and transport routes close to the river may also experience localized disruptions due to the elevated water levels. The Flood Forecasting Division said it will continue to closely monitor hydro-meteorological conditions, river flows and weather radar observations, issuing further updates if the situation changes. Meanwhile, provincial and district administrations, irrigation departments and other concerned agencies have been urged to maintain enhanced monitoring of river conditions and remain fully prepared for any emergency. The PMD noted that decisions regarding rescue, relief and emergency response will be taken by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) and the respective district administrations. Authorities have advised residents, particularly those living in riverine and low-lying areas, to stay alert, follow official instructions and avoid unnecessary travel near flood-affected locations until the situation improves.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *