iran rejects 60day
| | |

Iran rejects 60-day deadline in US MoU, blames Was…

TEHRAN: Iran has rejected claims that a 60-day deadline had expired under its memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the United States, saying the agreement never imposed a fixed deadline on Tehran and that its decisions would be guided by national interests and security.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei made the remarks during a press briefing on Monday as the period referenced in discussions between Tehran and Washington came to an end.

“There is no such thing as a 60-day deadline in the text of the MoU,” Baqaei said, according to Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency. He stressed that Iran would not formulate its policies under pressure, ultimatums or externally imposed time limits.

According to Baqaei, the agreement provided a 60-day window for negotiations focused on two key issues — sanctions relief and Iran’s nuclear programme. He said the period could have been extended if the two sides failed to reach an outcome.

However, Tehran argues that the understanding became irrelevant after what it described as widespread US violations of the agreement. Baqaei said no talks were ultimately launched under the framework because of Washington’s alleged actions.

The MoU was signed on June 18 following weeks of diplomatic efforts aimed at easing the wider Middle East conflict and reopening the strategically important Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is a major route for global energy shipments, making any disruption there a concern for international markets.

Tensions later escalated, with Iran accusing the United States of breaching the understanding. Hostilities resumed on July 7, when Iranian forces attacked commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, including a Qatari liquefied natural gas tanker. The United States subsequently carried out several waves of strikes against Iranian military targets.

The conflict also expanded beyond the Gulf, with Yemen’s Houthi rebels imposing a naval blockade affecting Saudi Arabia and adding pressure on another vital regional shipping route.

Missing pilots

Baqaei also raised the issue of three Iranian pilots whose fate remains disputed. Tehran says the pilots went missing during an operation targeting the US Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar in March.

Iran now considers the missing men prisoners until their fate is clarified. Qatar, however, denies holding them and says it previously invited Iranian officials to receive details about search-and-rescue operations.

Oil spill dispute

The Iranian spokesman also blamed US military operations for environmental damage in Gulf waters and called for Washington to be held responsible.

Iran recently demanded compensation over an oil slick that reached Qeshm Island, affecting beaches and mangrove areas. Tehran has blamed a foreign vessel for the spill, while outside reports have raised questions over the circumstances surrounding the incident.

With diplomacy stalled and tensions continuing around the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s latest statement signals that Tehran is unwilling to accept Washington’s interpretation of the MoU or negotiate under a deadline.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Flood surge damages railway bridge near Lahore

    A railway bridge near Mission Caller on the Sheikhupura-Lahore section was damaged after a strong flood surge hit the area, disrupting train services between Lahore and Faisalabad. Railway authorities said train operations on the Lahore-Faisalabad section have been temporarily suspended due to damage to the bridge. Trains travelling from Lahore towards Karachi via Sheikhupura and Faisalabad are being diverted through Sahiwal as an alternative route. Officials said the Badr Express and Ghouri Express have been cancelled due to the disruption. The Shalimar Express and Karakoram Express will operate via Raiwind and Sahiwal, while the Mianwali Express, which normally runs between Lahore and Mianwali, will be diverted through Lala Musa. Several other trains operating on the affected route have also been cancelled. Some services have been shifted to alternative routes to minimise disruption to passengers. According to railway officials, the flood surge that hit the area last night caused 30 of the bridge’s 110 pillars to collapse. Repair work has begun on the damaged structure. Railway authorities are working to restore the track and resume normal train operations as soon as possible. The flooding has also affected nearby communities. Residents said several settlements, including Hadiala Warkan village, were inundated after the flood surge entered the area during the night. The floodwaters have also caused significant damage to standing crops. Local residents expressed concern over losses to agricultural land and crops following the sudden rise in water levels.

  • Tourism Minister Proposes 1,000 Baht Exit Fee for Thais Traveling Abroad

    BANGKOK — Thai citizens planning international trips may soon face a new expense before boarding their flights: a 1,000 baht exit fee proposed by the Tourism and Sports Ministry as a way to fund domestic tourism from the pockets of those leaving the country. Thailand to Launch 300 Baht Tourist Entry Fee Under New Government […]

  • | |

    Madaris back Army, reject Fazlur remarks

    The Muttahida Madaris Council Pakistan has publicly distanced itself from recent remarks made by Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-F (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman regarding the Pakistan Army and the country’s martyrs. In an official statement, the council said religious seminaries across Pakistan have always stood with the country’s armed forces and fully respect the sacrifices made by military personnel in defending the nation. It stressed that no seminary or religious educational institution supports any narrative that could be interpreted as being against the armed forces. The council reaffirmed its commitment to national unity and expressed solidarity with Pakistan’s security institutions. It also paid tribute to the country’s martyrs, saying their sacrifices for national security and peace deserve the highest respect. The controversy began after Fazlur Rehman addressed a public gathering in Kasur, where he spoke about the security situation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. During his speech, his comments about soldiers and martyrdom sparked widespread criticism from political leaders and members of the public. Several politicians described the remarks as inappropriate and called on the JUI-F chief to publicly clarify or withdraw his statement. They maintained that the sacrifices of soldiers should not become part of political debate and should always be treated with respect. Punjab Assembly Speaker Malik Muhammad Ahmad Khan strongly criticised the remarks and urged Fazlur Rehman to issue a public apology. He also proposed the formation of a Senate committee to examine the issue and determine whether the veteran politician should be formally called to explain his comments. The matter has also entered the legal arena. A sessions court has issued a notice to the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) regarding the registration of a cybercrime case linked to the controversial remarks. The agency is expected to submit its response during the legal proceedings. Legal experts say the court will review the available evidence before deciding whether further action is warranted under the relevant laws. The controversy has continued to dominate political discussions, with leaders from different parties expressing contrasting views over the issue. While critics insist that the remarks were disrespectful to the sacrifices of the armed forces, supporters of Fazlur Rehman have defended his right to express political opinions.

  • Intense Clashes Persist at Key Thai-Cambodian Border Flashpoints

    BANGKOK – Fighting along the Thai-Cambodian border remained intense on Saturday, with particularly heavy exchanges reported in parts of Si Sa Ket province. According to a situation update from the 2nd Army Area, Cambodian forces launched repeated artillery strikes and armored attacks on Thai positions in several zones, prompting Thai counter-fire that destroyed multiple enemy […]

  • | | |

    Goods transporters begin indefinite strike across …

    The All Pakistan Goods Transporters Alliance has announced an indefinite strike across Pakistan from Saturday, August 8, in protest against rising fuel prices and additional financial burdens on the transport sector. Alliance President Malik Shehzad Awan confirmed the strike and said goods transporters would continue keeping their vehicles off the roads until further decisions were made. He said the federal government had invited representatives of the transport alliance to a meeting on Monday to discuss their concerns. Awan said a committee had been formed to represent the transporters during talks with government officials. He added that the strike would continue until the meeting was held and the alliance announced its next course of action. According to Awan, earlier negotiations between the transport alliance and government officials at the commissioner’s office had failed to resolve the dispute. Following the unsuccessful talks, the transporters decided to proceed with their planned indefinite strike. The alliance is protesting against higher petrol and diesel prices. It is also opposing the government’s decision to determine petroleum product prices on a daily basis. Another major demand concerns the seven percent withholding tax imposed on the transport sector. Transporters say rising fuel costs and additional taxes have increased their operating expenses and created serious financial difficulties for the industry. They have urged the government to review the current policies and provide relief to the transport sector. The transporters have warned that the strike could affect the movement of goods across the country if the dispute continues. Goods transporters play a major role in supplying food, industrial products, raw materials and other essential items to markets and businesses. A prolonged strike could therefore put pressure on supply chains and affect the availability and transportation of essential goods in different areas. The government’s scheduled meeting with the transport alliance on Monday is expected to determine the next course of action. Transport representatives will present their demands during the talks and seek a solution to the ongoing dispute.

  • | |

    Cockroach’ protests end in stunning victory

    India’s Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned on Saturday after days of youth-led protests over alleged irregularities in major entrance examinations. The resignation came as thousands of young people gathered in New Delhi and other parts of the country under the banner of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP). The protesters had demanded Pradhan’s removal and major reforms to the country’s examination system. They also raised wider concerns about unemployment and limited opportunities for young people. Pradhan confirmed that he had submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In a statement, he said he was deeply concerned about the events of the previous 10 days. He said the decision was not about personal prestige. He added that India’s youth were an important strength of the country and said efforts were needed to prevent young people from becoming trapped in uncertainty. The announcement immediately triggered celebrations at the main protest site at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke told the cheering crowd, “We have done it.” Hundreds of protesters responded with loud applause and celebrations. The CJP later announced that its demands had been accepted following talks with the government. It said the protests would therefore be called off. The movement had focused on alleged irregularities in examinations, including concerns over the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). Protesters demanded greater transparency and accountability in the examination system. They also called for compensation for people affected by examination irregularities. Another demand was the withdrawal of legal cases against protesters. The government held two rounds of talks with CJP representatives during the week. However, the discussions initially failed to produce an agreement. Pradhan submitted his resignation before a third round of talks was scheduled. The protests also faced a strong response from police. Authorities used tear gas and batons when demonstrators attempted to march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament. The campaign gradually expanded beyond examination issues. Protesters also highlighted unemployment, lack of opportunities for young people and broader concerns about governance. The demonstrations became one of the most significant challenges to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government since his re-election in 2024. India’s opposition leader Rahul Gandhi also backed the protesters. He described Pradhan’s resignation as a major development and urged Modi to apologise to students and address their concerns. Gandhi also called for action against those accused of violence against students during the demonstrations. The resignation brought an emotional response from protesters. One 27-year-old participant who visited the protest site for the first time on Saturday described the atmosphere as highly charged, particularly after the minister’s resignation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *