pakistanis get relief
| | |

Pakistanis get relief as US visa policy overturned

A US federal judge has struck down a State Department policy that suspended immigrant visa processing for applicants from Pakistan and 74 other countries.

US District Judge Jeannette Vargas issued the ruling in Manhattan, finding that the policy exceeded the legal authority of Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

The State Department had introduced the suspension in January, preventing consular officials from issuing immigrant visas to applicants based solely on their nationality.

Judge Vargas described the policy as unlawful and said it conflicted with federal immigration law. She ruled that the law does not give the Secretary of State the authority to impose a blanket suspension on immigrant visa issuance based on an applicant’s nationality.

The policy affected applicants from a wide range of countries, including Pakistan and Bangladesh in South Asia. Several countries in Latin America, the Balkans, Africa, the Middle East and the Caribbean were also included.

US authorities had defended the measure by arguing that applicants from the listed countries were considered more likely to become dependent on government-funded assistance after entering the United States.

The ruling came in a case brought by immigrant rights organisations, visa applicants and US citizens sponsoring family members from the affected countries.

The plaintiffs challenged the State Department’s decision, arguing that the blanket suspension unlawfully restricted access to the immigrant visa process.

The decision represents a legal setback for the Trump administration, which has pursued tougher immigration policies since returning to office.

The administration has said its immigration measures are intended to strengthen national security and reduce pressure on public resources.

Immigrant rights groups, however, have criticised several aspects of the crackdown. They have raised concerns about due process, discrimination and the treatment of ethnic minorities.

The State Department had not immediately issued a response to the judge’s decision.

Similar Posts

  • |

    France tightens borders after deadly Ceuta migrant crisis

    France has strengthened security checks along its border with Spain following the recent migrant influx into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez announced on Tuesday. The enhanced border measures were introduced over the weekend on the instructions of French President Emmanuel Macron after tens of thousands of migrants crossed into Ceuta from Morocco over two days, triggering one of the region’s largest migration emergencies in recent years. Spanish authorities said the vast majority of migrants who entered the enclave had already been returned to Morocco. Officials also confirmed that at least 75 people died while attempting the dangerous crossing, highlighting the human cost of the crisis. Speaking after an emergency video conference with European interior ministers, Laurent Nunez said European Union member states had unanimously expressed solidarity with Spain and pledged support in managing the situation. He said France remained ready to provide additional assistance through Frontex, the EU’s border management agency, if required. The French minister noted that Ceuta operates under special rules within the Schengen Area and stressed that strict border controls had prevented the migration crisis from spreading to mainland Europe. Nunez also praised the cooperation between Spain and Morocco in responding to the situation, saying close coordination between the two countries had been vital in managing the large-scale arrivals. Rejecting calls from some political groups in France to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-movement zone, he said EU member states agreed that the Schengen system remained part of the solution rather than the cause of the crisis. He emphasized that the Schengen Area had not been threatened despite the surge in migration and reaffirmed France’s commitment to coordinated European efforts to address irregular migration.

  • | |

    Nirmal Purja feared missing in Pakistan avalanche

    World-renowned mountaineer Nirmal Purja is among 10 climbers feared missing after a powerful avalanche struck an expedition on Broad Peak in Pakistan’s Karakoram mountain range. According to the Alpine Club of Pakistan, the avalanche hit the team around midday on Thursday while they were attempting to climb the 8,047-metre peak. Since the incident, all members of the expedition have reportedly lost communication, raising serious concerns about their safety. The missing group is said to include climbers from Pakistan, Oman, China and the United States. Rescue officials are working to gather more information as efforts continue to establish contact with the team. The Alpine Club stated that it is coordinating closely with government authorities and relevant agencies to launch an urgent search and rescue operation. Helicopter support and other emergency resources are being arranged, although rescue efforts may depend on weather conditions and access to the remote mountain. Nirmal Purja, a Nepal-born climber, is widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest high-altitude mountaineers. He gained global recognition in 2019 after becoming the first person to climb all 14 of the world’s mountains above 8,000 metres in just over six months, a record-breaking achievement that earned international acclaim. Broad Peak, located near K2 in northern Pakistan, is one of the world’s 14 highest mountains and is known for its challenging terrain and unpredictable weather. Avalanches and harsh conditions have made it one of the most dangerous climbing destinations in the region. Authorities have not yet confirmed the fate of the climbers. Search teams remain on standby, hoping for improved weather conditions to begin a full-scale rescue mission. The mountaineering community is closely monitoring developments as hopes remain that the missing climbers will be found safely.

  • |

    Bangladesh make history, overtake India in WTC table

    DARWIN: Bangladesh’s stunning nine-wicket victory over Australia in Darwin has not only delivered a landmark moment for the team but also lifted them above India in the ICC World Test Championship 2025-27 standings. Bangladesh secured their first-ever Test victory over Australia, doing so on Australian soil in a result that sent a strong message across the Test cricket world. The win also produced a significant shift in the World Test Championship points table. Australia remain at the top despite suffering their second defeat of the current cycle, holding a points percentage of 77.78. South Africa are second with 75 per cent, while New Zealand sit third on 72.22 per cent. Bangladesh have now climbed to fourth place with an impressive 66.67 per cent, moving ahead of India, who are fifth with 48.15 per cent. The result gives Bangladesh an important boost as they continue their WTC campaign and adds even greater significance to their historic success in Darwin. Sri Lanka occupy sixth position with 41.67 per cent, followed by England on 24.36 per cent. Pakistan are eighth with 22.22 per cent, while the West Indies remain ninth on 20.83 per cent. For Bangladesh, the victory represents more than just two points or a rise in the rankings. It marks their first Test triumph against Australia and could become one of the defining results of their current World Test Championship campaign. WTC Standings Details Bangladesh Position: 4th place Bangladesh Points Percentage: 66.67% (3 wins from 5 matches) India Position: 5th place India Points Percentage: 48.15% (4 wins from 9 Tests) Historic Milestone: Marked Bangladesh’s first Test win on Australian soil.

  • | |

    Multan airport records highest-ever 37 flights in …

    MULTAN: Flight operations at Multan International Airport have increased, with the airport recording a new daily high of 37 flights on Wednesday. According to the flight schedule, 449 flights were operated across Pakistan during the past 24 hours, while 68 flights were cancelled and 112 flights faced delays of up to seven hours. Of the 37 flights operated at Multan airport, 18 arrived and 19 departed, marking the highest number of daily flight operations recorded at the airport. The schedule showed that 135 flights were operated from Karachi, 118 from Islamabad, 105 from Lahore, 17 from Peshawar, 15 from Sialkot and 12 from Faisalabad. Flight delays were also reported at several major airports. Karachi recorded delays involving nine flights, while Lahore and Islamabad each reported 33 delayed flights. Multan had eight delayed flights, Peshawar six, Sialkot eight, Faisalabad nine and Quetta six. A number of flights were also cancelled during the same period. Karachi recorded 20 cancellations, Lahore 21, Islamabad 12 and Multan three. Peshawar, Faisalabad and Sialkot each recorded two cancelled flights, while six flights were cancelled at Quetta airport. The latest figures indicate increased flight activity at Multan International Airport, with the 37-flight total setting a new daily record for the southern Punjab city’s airport.

  • | |

    Taylor Swift reportedly stands by Jack Antonoff am…

    Taylor Swift is reportedly standing by longtime friend and collaborator Jack Antonoff following reports that he and actress Margaret Qualley have ended their marriage. According to recent reports, Antonoff and Qualley called it quits last month after nearly three years of marriage. While neither the music producer nor the actress has publicly commented on the reported split, new claims suggest that friends close to the former couple have begun taking sides as speculation surrounding their separation continues.  RadarOnline, citing an unnamed insider, claimed that Swift has remained firmly in Antonoff’s corner throughout the reported breakup. The source alleged that the Grammy-winning singer’s long personal and professional relationship with Antonoff has made her one of his strongest supporters during the difficult period.  “When a marriage like Jack and Margaret’s breaks up, and there aren’t any kids in the picture, the friends of the couple are forced to pick sides,” the insider reportedly said. The source also claimed that the separation did not come as a surprise to people who knew the couple closely. However, these claims have not been independently verified, and none of the individuals involved have addressed them publicly.  Swift and Antonoff have shared one of the music industry’s most successful creative partnerships for more than a decade. Since first working together on Sweeter Than Fiction in 2013, Antonoff has co-written and produced songs across several of Swift’s biggest albums, including 1989, Reputation, Lover, Folklore, Evermore, Midnights and The Tortured Poets Department. Their collaboration has earned multiple Grammy Awards and produced numerous chart-topping hits.  Reports of Antonoff and Qualley’s separation first surfaced in early July after the actress was absent from a high-profile event attended by Antonoff. Shortly afterward, multiple entertainment outlets reported that the couple had separated after what sources described as a rocky period in their relationship. Neither Antonoff nor Qualley has confirmed the reports, and their representatives have remained silent.  The latest speculation about Swift’s support comes from anonymous sources rather than official statements, making it difficult to verify the full picture. Even so, many fans believe it would not be surprising given the close friendship Swift and Antonoff have maintained for years, both inside and outside the recording studio.  For now, the reported split remains largely private, with the former couple choosing not to speak publicly about their relationship. Until Antonoff, Qualley or Swift address the situation themselves, much of the conversation continues to be driven by unnamed sources and media speculation. Meanwhile, Antonoff remains focused on his music career, while Swift continues her long-running collaboration with one of her closest creative partners. 

  • | |

    Gunmen target PPP MNA Qadir Patel’s office in Ka…

    KARACHI: Unidentified gunmen opened fire at the office of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) MNA and former federal minister Qadir Patel in Karachi’s Boat Basin area, prompting a police investigation and tighter security around the premises. According to police, the attackers fired several shots at the office entrance late at night before fleeing the scene. No one was injured in the incident, while the main gate sustained bullet marks. Investigators recovered five spent 9mm pistol casings from the site and secured them as evidence. Police teams also began examining CCTV recordings from the surrounding area to trace the attackers and determine the vehicle used in the shooting. Following the incident, security was increased around Patel’s office and nearby areas of Clifton. Police said efforts were underway to identify the suspects and establish the motive behind the attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *