police constable martyred
|

Police constable martyred , two suspected robbers …

A police constable was martyred and two suspected robbers were shot dead during an exchange of fire in Karachi’s Orangi Town early on Tuesday morning, according to police and rescue services officials.

The senior superintendent of police (SSP) of District West, Tariq Illahi Mastoi, said that four police officials of District West were conducting routine motorcycle patrolling near Liaquat Chowk, within the limits of Pakistan Bazaar Police Station, when they encountered armed robbers. Upon seeing the police party, the suspects opened indiscriminate fire. The police retaliated in self-defence, resulting in an exchange of fire, he said.

The SSP added that both armed suspects were killed during the exchange of fire. Two pistols along with ammunition, spent shell casings, and the motorcycle being used by the suspects were recovered from their possession. According to a police statement, there were “at least 13 criminal cases” registered against one suspect, while one case had been registered against the other.

The incident comes amid a recent surge in violent crime in the port city. Last week, a suspected robber was gunned down and a policeman was wounded in a shoot-out on Mauripur Road. Earlier this month, two suspected robbers were shot dead by citizens in Gulzar-i-Hijri and Cattle Colony. In another incident, a suspected robber was lynched by an angry mob and another was wounded by a bullet allegedly fired by an accomplice during a robbery in Korangi.

Police have reiterated their commitment to combating criminal activity in the city, while the latest encounter underscores the ongoing challenges law enforcement faces in maintaining public safety amid rising street crime.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    PPP alleges polling irregularities during second p…

    ISLAMABAD: The second phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections faced fresh controversy on Sunday after the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) alleged delays, administrative shortcomings and electoral irregularities in several constituencies. Meanwhile, the AJK Election Commission postponed polling in one constituency due to severe weather conditions. Polling continued in 21 constituencies, including nine seats in Muzaffarabad Division and 12 refugee constituencies across Pakistan. More than 1.2 million registered voters were eligible to cast their ballots under strict security arrangements. PPP AJK Election Cell In-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor claimed that polling was delayed in several constituencies because polling staff failed to reach polling stations before voting began. He said dozens of polling stations remained without election officials at the scheduled opening time, causing inconvenience to voters and delaying the electoral process. According to the PPP, similar problems were reported in multiple constituencies where polling staff arrived late, preventing voters from exercising their right to vote on time. The party urged the Election Commission and local administration to ensure immediate deployment of staff and restore normal polling. Separately, the AJK Election Commission announced that polling in LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I had been postponed after heavy rainfall and landslides blocked key roads, making it impossible for polling teams and election material to reach several polling stations. Election authorities said efforts were made to reopen the affected routes, but worsening weather conditions prevented polling from taking place. The Commission said a new polling date would be announced later and apologised to voters for the inconvenience. The PPP questioned the decision to postpone polling across the entire constituency. Party leaders argued that if only certain polling stations were affected by landslides, polling should have continued in the remaining accessible areas. They called on the Election Commission to release a detailed report explaining the reasons behind the postponement. The party also alleged delays in additional constituencies, claiming that polling staff had not reached several stations even hours after voting officially began. It maintained that the delays affected voter participation and raised concerns over the smooth conduct of the election. PPP leaders further alleged that blocked roads prevented hundreds of voters from reaching polling stations. The party demanded the immediate reopening of affected routes and called for measures to ensure that voters could cast their ballots without obstruction. In another complaint, the PPP claimed that some of its polling agents were prevented from performing their duties at polling stations despite fulfilling legal requirements. The party urged election authorities to intervene and ensure equal treatment of all contesting candidates and their representatives. The PPP also accused rival political workers of violating election rules in certain constituencies and alleged that government employees were participating in election activities in violation of the code of conduct. The party demanded an immediate investigation and legal action wherever irregularities were confirmed. Separately, PPP leader Nadeem Afzal Chan criticised the conduct of the elections, describing reported delays in ballot paper distribution and administrative issues as unacceptable. He said the party wanted the electoral process to remain transparent and credible and warned that unresolved issues could undermine public confidence.

  • | |

    Met Gala 2027 theme sparks backlash after John Gal…

    The Met Gala 2027 is already generating heated debate months before the event, following the announcement that legendary fashion designer John Galliano will be the focus of next year’s Costume Institute exhibition. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Vogue revealed that the 2027 exhibition will be titled “John Galliano: Horizon,” a decision that has drawn both praise for Galliano’s creative legacy and criticism over his controversial past. (vogue.com⁠) The annual Costume Institute exhibition serves as the inspiration for the Met Gala dress code, making the announcement one of the fashion industry’s biggest events. Organizers described John Galliano: Horizon as a celebration of the designer’s extraordinary impact on fashion, highlighting his groundbreaking work at fashion houses including Givenchy, Dior and Maison Margiela. The exhibition is expected to showcase his most influential collections and explore his decades-long contribution to haute couture. (metmuseum.org⁠) However, the announcement quickly sparked criticism online. Many social media users questioned the decision to honor Galliano because of his highly publicized antisemitic remarks made in 2011. At the time, the British designer was dismissed from Christian Dior after a video emerged showing him making offensive comments. He was later convicted by a French court for public insults based on religion and ethnicity. (bbc.com⁠) Supporters of the exhibition argue that Galliano has spent years rebuilding his career and taking responsibility for his actions. Following the scandal, he publicly apologized, sought treatment for addiction and gradually returned to the fashion industry. His creative revival at Maison Margiela has been widely praised, with many critics describing his recent couture collections as some of the finest work of his career. (vogue.com⁠) Critics, however, believe that celebrating Galliano with one of fashion’s highest-profile exhibitions sends the wrong message. Some argue that his past should not be separated from his artistic achievements, while others say the exhibition should provide broader context rather than simply celebrating his influence. The debate has quickly spread across social media, with fashion enthusiasts, journalists and cultural commentators expressing differing views. (theguardian.com⁠) Despite the controversy, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Vogue have defended their decision by emphasizing Galliano’s lasting impact on fashion history. They say the exhibition aims to examine his artistic vision and transformative role in modern design rather than overlook the complexities of his career. (vogue.com⁠) As anticipation builds for the 2027 Met Gala, discussions surrounding John Galliano: Horizon are likely to continue. While some view the exhibition as a celebration of one of fashion’s most imaginative designers, others believe it raises important questions about accountability, redemption and the legacy of influential public figures. The conversation has ensured that next year’s Met Gala will be about more than glamorous red-carpet looks—it will also be a reflection of the ongoing debate over art, history and responsibility.

  • | |

    PML-N challenges Rathore’s victory in AJK consti…

    MUZAFFARABAD: PML-N candidate Chaudhry Mohsin Aziz has challenged the election result of Azad Jammu and Kashmir’s LA-17 Haveli-Kahuta constituency, alleging irregularities in the compilation of results and seeking a recount of votes. The Azad Jammu and Kashmir Election Commission has accepted the petition for hearing and summoned the relevant parties in Muzaffarabad. Mohsin has alleged that the official result was changed through manipulation of election documents. He claimed that results received from polling stations showed him winning the constituency by a significant margin. According to his claim, the results compiled by presiding officers showed him leading by around 8,600 votes. He alleged that there was a substantial discrepancy between those results and the figures later submitted to the returning officer. The PML-N candidate said he had approached the returning officer and requested a recount but his request was rejected. He has also called on PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari to support a recount. Mohsin said he would leave politics if a transparent recount showed that he had not won the constituency by a substantial margin. The disputed constituency was won by PPP candidate and AJK Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore, according to the officially issued result. Form-27 showed Rathore securing 33,872 votes, while Mohsin Aziz received 32,354 votes. Independent candidate Tariq Saeed stood third with 12,538 votes. Mohsin has disputed these figures and alleged that the result was altered after the polling process. He also alleged that armed individuals intimidated voters at some polling stations during election day. He claimed tensions increased after the rival camp realised that it could face defeat. The PML-N candidate has vowed to pursue the matter through the electoral process and said he would not accept what he described as an attempt to deprive him of his mandate. The election commission’s decision to hear the petition has formally brought the disputed result before the relevant electoral forum. The proceedings will determine whether a recount or any further action is warranted. Political tensions in the constituency have also continued following the election. Several vehicles parked along a roadside in Hoter village were reportedly vandalised. Local residents said the windows of the vehicles were smashed during an alleged attack. The vehicles were reportedly parked outside the residence of senior PPP leader Zahid Hashmi, who is also president of the International Kashmir Peace Forum Europe. According to local sources, individuals associated with the PML-N and an independent candidate were allegedly involved in the incident. The allegations have not been independently verified. Some of the affected vehicles reportedly belonged to people who had travelled from Saudi Arabia to participate in the election. The affected individuals alleged that, besides damaging their vehicles, the attackers took passports and cash from some of them.

  • | |

    Natalie Portman shares heartfelt pregnancy update …

    Natalie Portman has delighted fans with a rare and heartfelt pregnancy update as she enters the final weeks before welcoming her third child. The Oscar-winning actress took to Instagram to share a beautiful photo of her growing baby bump, accompanied by a simple but emotional message that reflected her excitement for the journey ahead.  In the touching post, Portman posed in an oversized blue striped shirt while gently cradling her bare baby bump. Alongside the image, she wrote, “Counting the days until we meet you,” expressing her anticipation as her due date approaches. The intimate portrait, captured by photographer Shelby Duncan, quickly received an outpouring of love from fans and fellow celebrities, many of whom congratulated the actress on the next chapter of her life.  This will be Portman’s third child and her first with French music producer Tanguy Destable, also known professionally as Tepr. The couple has been together since 2025 and currently lives in Paris. Portman is already a proud mother to son Aleph and daughter Amalia, whom she shares with her former husband, choreographer Benjamin Millepied.  The actress first announced her pregnancy in April during an interview with Harper’s Bazaar. At the time, she described the experience as “a privilege and a miracle,” while acknowledging that she is especially grateful after witnessing how difficult pregnancy can be for many families. As the daughter of a fertility doctor, Portman said she has long understood the emotional challenges that often accompany the journey to parenthood.  Portman has also spoken about how this pregnancy feels different from her previous ones. Now in her mid-40s, she says she approaches motherhood with greater calm, patience and appreciation. She has been enjoying a quieter lifestyle in Paris, spending time with her children, staying active through swimming and gyrotonics, and embracing the slower pace of everyday family life.  Although the actress has largely stayed away from social media throughout her pregnancy, her latest post offered fans a rare glimpse into this special period of her life. Many praised the photo for its natural and understated beauty, while others admired Portman’s openness about cherishing what she has suggested may be her final pregnancy.  As Natalie Portman prepares to welcome her newest family member, her latest update reflects a mix of gratitude, excitement and quiet anticipation. While she continues to keep much of her private life out of the spotlight, this heartfelt glimpse into her final weeks of pregnancy has resonated with fans around the world, who are eagerly joining her in counting down the days until her baby’s arrival. 

  • Thailand Raises Diesel Price by Another 3.50 Baht per Liter

    BANGKOK — Diesel prices will rise another 3.50 baht per litre to 44.24 baht at service stations across Thailand on Thursday morning, marking a 48 percent increase from just one month ago as the government continues to scale back fuel subsidies. Thai Government to Promote B20 Biodiesel as Cheaper Alternative PTT and Bangchak subsequently announced […]

  • Pakistani team wins 1 gold, 2 silver medals at Nuclear Olympiad

    The Pakistani team has won one gold and two silver medals at the International Nuclear Science Olympiad. The International Nuclear Science Olympiad was held in Jeddah from August 2 to 8 with 120 students and experts from 19 countries participating in the competition. Students from China, Japan, Russia, Türkiye, Malaysia, Indonesia and Saudi Arabia also took part. The Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission team won one gold and two silver medals. Muhammad Ali from Government College University Lahore won the gold medal while Muhammad Usman from FG Sir Syed College Rawalpindi won a silver medal. Seerat Fatima Bhatti from Nixor College Karachi also won a silver medal. According to a statement issued by the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, Pakistan will host the 4th International Nuclear Science Olympiad in 2027.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *