rejects zahir jaffers
| |

SC rejects Zahir Jaffer’s plea in Noor Mukadam c…

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court has rejected a review petition filed by Zahir Jaffer challenging his death sentence in the Noor Mukadam murder case, ruling that the severity of the crime did not justify any reduction in punishment.

In its detailed 12-page judgment, authored by Justice Ishtiaq Ibrahim, the apex court said Jaffer had sought to have his death sentence commuted to life imprisonment on the basis of alleged mental illness. However, the court found that he had failed to provide evidence sufficient to support his claim or warrant reconsideration of the earlier verdict.

The judgment stressed that the material on record established the exceptionally serious nature of the offence. It held that the circumstances of the crime provided no basis for reducing the sentence imposed on the convict.

The court also clarified that its powers in a review petition are narrowly defined and that such proceedings cannot be used as a substitute for an appeal against an earlier judgment.

The Supreme Court further observed that violence against women and the creation of an atmosphere of fear and insecurity are incompatible with both Islamic principles and established legal norms. It emphasised that Islam guarantees women dignity, protection and respect.

Moreover, The Supreme Court has issued its detailed written judgment dismissing the review petition filed by convicted murderer Zahir Jaffer against his death sentence in the Noor Mukadam murder case. The 12-page judgment was authored by Justice Ishtiaq Ibrahim.

According to the written judgment, Zahir Jaffer had requested the court to reconsider his death sentence and convert it into life imprisonment on the grounds that he was suffering from a mental illness. However, the Supreme Court observed that the convict had failed to present any evidence that could justify reconsideration of the court’s earlier decision.

The judgment stated that the available record clearly established that Zahir Jaffer had committed an extremely serious crime. The court noted that the nature and circumstances of the offence did not warrant any reduction in the punishment awarded to him.

The Supreme Court further explained that its jurisdiction in a review petition is extremely limited. A review application cannot be treated as an appeal, nor can the petitioner use the review process simply to seek a fresh examination of the entire case.

The written judgment also highlighted the protection and respect afforded to women under Islam. The court observed that subjecting women to violence, abuse and insecurity is contrary to both Islamic principles and the laws of the state.

The Supreme Court’s decision means that the death sentence awarded to Zahir Jaffer remains intact. The trial court had previously sentenced him to death for the rape and murder of Noor Mukadam. The Islamabad High Court subsequently upheld the death sentence, and the Supreme Court also maintained the punishment before rejecting his review petition.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Mir Raza’s father raises new questions over son?…

    The father of businessman Mir Raza Ali has raised fresh concerns about the investigation into his son’s death. Speaking to the media on Monday, Mir Hassan claimed that his son’s business partner went missing after being questioned by police. He said police had questioned the business partner once. The man was allegedly not seen again after the questioning. Hassan said the family had not been informed about the investigation involving employees of the guest house in Gulistan-e-Johar. Mir Raza’s body was found near the guest house. “We have not been told what investigations were conducted with the employees,” he said. The victim’s father also questioned why CCTV footage from the guest house had not been made public. The latest concerns have emerged as investigators continue to review the circumstances surrounding Mir Raza’s death. The case took a new turn after the businessman’s body was exhumed for a second post-mortem examination. The second medical examination found a firearm injury and several wounds that had occurred before death. It also reported signs of internal bleeding. According to the findings, a bullet entered the upper right side of Mir Raza’s back and exited through the left side of his chest. The bullet fractured his sixth rib and caused internal bleeding. The report also documented injuries to different parts of his head, face, neck and chest. Following the medical findings, police added Section 302 of the Pakistan Penal Code to the case. The section relates to murder. The original FIR had been registered under Section 365, which concerns kidnapping. Mir Raza, 25, was allegedly abducted from the PECHS area. His body was later found in bushes near a wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Johar. Police had earlier suspected that he may have been tortured before being shot. The case initially faced uncertainty over whether Mir Raza had been murdered or had died by suicide. His family, however, consistently rejected the suicide theory. The second post-mortem has strengthened the family’s claim that Mir Raza was killed. Questions had also been raised about the first post-mortem report. Karachi Police Surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed had pointed out several issues in the initial examination. She had questioned why the body was not X-rayed and why hand swabs were not collected for gunshot residue testing. She had also raised concerns over the scientific measurement and photography of firearm injuries. Questions were further raised about the documentation of the bullet’s path and the examination of the entry and exit wounds. Following these developments, police dissolved the previous investigation team. A new team was formed under the leadership of DIG Crime and Investigation Amir Farooqi. The new team was tasked with conducting a fresh investigation based on the latest medical findings. Investigators were also expected to revisit the crime scene. They were directed to re-question the victim’s family and other relevant individuals. The team was also expected to examine forensic, technical, physical and circumstantial evidence. Mir Raza’s family has repeatedly criticised the handling of the case. They have maintained that he was murdered and demanded that those responsible be identified and brought to justice. The family’s lawyer, Jibran Nasir, had also alleged that investigators pressured the family to accept a suicide theory. He called for an independent and impartial investigation. The Sindh government has meanwhile decided to establish a judicial commission headed by a Sindh High Court judge. The commission is intended to oversee a transparent and impartial investigation into Mir Raza’s death.

  • | |

    Taylor Swift reveals the biggest stress of cheerin…

    Taylor Swift has become a familiar face at NFL stadiums while supporting Travis Kelce, but according to new reports, game days are far from relaxing for the global music superstar. Swift has attended numerous Kansas City Chiefs games since her relationship with Kelce became public, often drawing as much attention as the action on the field. While fans love spotting her in the stands, those close to the singer say watching her husband play is one of the most nerve-racking experiences she faces. According to reports, the hardest part for Swift is seeing Kelce put his body on the line every week. Football is one of the most physically demanding sports, and every tackle, collision and fall leaves her worried about his safety. Despite enjoying the excitement of the games, she reportedly spends much of the time hoping he walks off the field healthy.  The concern is understandable. Kelce has built a career as one of the NFL’s elite tight ends, a position that involves constant physical contact. While he has proven remarkably durable throughout his career, injuries are always a possibility in professional football. Swift’s presence at Chiefs games has also become a headline of its own. Television cameras frequently cut to her reactions, and every expression is analyzed by fans across social media. That level of public scrutiny adds another layer of pressure to an already emotional experience. Reports have suggested that she has intentionally kept a lower profile at some games to avoid becoming the center of attention and to keep the focus on Kelce and the team.  Despite the stress, Swift continues to show up whenever her schedule allows. Friends say supporting Kelce remains important to her, even if every game comes with anxious moments. The singer understands the demands of elite performance herself, while Kelce has previously spoken about admiring the dedication and physical endurance required during her record-breaking tours.  For Swift, the cheers, celebrations and victories are worth the nerves. But behind every smile from the VIP suite is the hope that the final whistle brings the same outcome she wants most—not just a Chiefs win, but seeing Kelce leave the field safe and healthy.

  • |

    US President Donald Trump backtracks on promise allowing Ukraine to produce Patriot missiles

    US President Donald Trump has walked back his previous offer to grant Ukraine a license to domestically produce Patriot interceptor missiles, stating during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David that the United States has “not agreed” to share the technology. Trump expressed caution over transferring sensitive defense hardware, warning that “they can someday turn on you” and emphasising the need to safeguard advanced military systems. The reversal comes just three weeks after Trump publicly promised Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky at a NATO summit in Ankara that Washington would grant Kyiv the manufacturing rights to build the air defense interceptors. Although Zelensky recently stated after a White House visit that the production licensing had been approved, Trump clarified that no final commitment has been made. The decision arrives as Kyiv faces intensified Russian drone and ballistic missile strikes, with Ukrainian military officials warning that critical shortages of Patriot interceptors are severely compromising their air defense capabilities.

  • |

    Babar creates another captaincy milestone for Pakistan

    TRINIDAD: Pakistan captain Babar Azam added another milestone to his illustrious career after leading the national side for the 150th time in international cricket, joining legendary captains Imran Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq in one of Pakistan cricket’s most exclusive leadership clubs. The landmark came during the second Test against the West Indies, further cementing Babar’s place among the country’s most successful and experienced captains. The 31-year-old recently returned as Pakistan’s Test captain, replacing Shan Masood ahead of the team’s tours of the West Indies and England. His return marked a new chapter in a leadership journey that has already produced numerous records across all three formats. With 150 international matches as captain, Babar now stands third on Pakistan’s all-time list. Former World Cup-winning captain Imran Khan remains at the top with 187 matches, while Misbah-ul-Haq occupies second place with 151. Babar is also closing in on another remarkable achievement. He has guided Pakistan to 84 international victories, the second-highest by any Pakistan captain. Only Imran Khan, with 89 wins, has recorded more triumphs, while Misbah follows with 77 victories. Across his 150 matches in charge, Babar has registered 84 wins, 51 defeats, two ties, four draws and eight no-results, giving him an impressive overall winning percentage of 56 percent. Former captain Wasim Akram ranks fourth on Pakistan’s captaincy list with 134 international matches, followed by Inzamam-ul-Haq with 119 and Sarfaraz Ahmed with 100. Babar first captained Pakistan in T20 Internationals in October 2019 before taking charge of the ODI side in May 2020. Later that year, he was appointed Test captain, becoming the leader across all three formats. He stepped down from the role after Pakistan’s disappointing campaign at the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, but was reappointed white-ball captain in March 2024 before resigning again later that year to focus on his batting. Following Pakistan’s recent leadership changes, the Pakistan Cricket Board restored Babar as Test captain ahead of the current overseas assignments. Reaching 150 international matches as captain places Babar among Pakistan cricket’s greatest leaders, and with several years of international cricket still potentially ahead of him, he now has an opportunity to surpass Misbah-ul-Haq and move closer to Imran Khan’s long-standing captaincy record.

  • | | |

    China reaffirms support for independent Palestinia…

    China has reaffirmed its steadfast support for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state, while pledging to continue providing humanitarian and development assistance to the Palestinian people. Speaking to the media, Chinese Ambassador to Palestine Sun Xin said Beijing remains firmly committed to strengthening its ties with Palestine and advancing bilateral cooperation. He noted that China is eager to deepen its strategic partnership with Palestine and further expand collaboration in the years ahead. The ambassador said his meetings with Palestinian leaders gave him a firsthand understanding of the immense hardships and suffering faced by Palestinians. He stressed that China remains concerned about the humanitarian situation and is committed to supporting efforts that contribute to relief, reconstruction, and long-term development. Sun Xin also highlighted that this year marks the third anniversary of the strategic partnership between China and Palestine, describing it as an important milestone in the two sides’ growing relationship. He reiterated that China will continue to stand by the Palestinian people through humanitarian assistance and development initiatives while maintaining its support for an independent Palestinian state.

  • | |

    Nawaz Sharif heading LHAR to give old Lahore a new…

    Lahore’s old city is going through a major change under a heritage revival plan, and the project has now been placed directly under the leadership of Pakistan Muslim League-(N) leader Muhammad Nawaz Sharif. According to a recent notification issued by the Punjab government’s Local Government and Community Development Department, Nawaz Sharif has been made chairman of the newly formed board of the Lahore Heritage Area Revival project, also known as (LHAR) and patron-in-chief of the Punjab Walled Cities and Heritage Areas Authority (PWCHAA) Earlier, Nawaz Sharif only held the position of chief patron of the project. This meant he could give advice but had no formal powers. Under the new rules, the project’s legal structure has been changed, and a proper board has been formed. This board is now headed directly by the three-time former prime minister. The notification was published in the Punjab Gazette on July 23. It was issued under Section 8-A of the Punjab Walled Cities and Heritage Areas Authority Act 2012. The notification was approved by the governor of Punjab. With this change, the Lahore Heritage Area Revival Board has been formally established. The board now has full executive and administrative powers. Officials say this step was taken to remove bureaucratic delays in restoring the city’s historic fabric. The heritage revival areas cover Mughal, Sikh and colonial-era sites. Details of the ongoing work will be shared soon. Several government departments are working together on the project. These include the Traffic Engineering and Planning Agency, known as TEPA, C&W and PWCHAA. TEPA is handling infrastructure work, such as building basements and parking. The PWCHAA is handling the restoration of old buildings. A major part of the plan is to turn old city streets into pedestrian zones. This includes the route from New Anarkali to Paan Gali in Lohari. It also includes Bora Bazaar, which has Bakshi Market inside it. Another walking route will run from Kacheri Chowk to Anarkali and then onward to Neela Gumbad. To name a few. Many buildings along these routes are old. All of them are being restored as part of the project. One of the biggest parts of the plan is a new public space called Neela Gumbad Square, where a two-floor underground parking garage is being built; it will become a place for families to walk and gather. Fountains and seating areas will be added. The Parks and Horticulture Authority will help plant trees and grass in the area. Other nearby heritage sites are also being restored. These include Ewing Hall and the first Bank of India building. The mosque near Neela Gumbad is also being renovated, while some roads nearby will be closed for traffic. LHAR spokesperson also responded to earlier criticism in media reports, where past reports only mentioned TEPA, even though other departments were also doing important work on the ground. The project now has a monitoring cell in place to track progress and check timely completion. The spokesperson further said that shopkeepers near Neela Gumbad were paid compensation a year before their shops were relocated. The officials had collected data on each shop’s daily business and income before deciding how much compensation to give; this was done so shopkeepers would not lose their livelihood during construction. With Nawaz Sharif now in the driving seat and his past records of completing mega projects on time, officials believe the project will move forward faster. The government says the goal is to restore Lahore’s historic buildings and streets while creating new public spaces for residents and visitors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *