trump returns white
| |

Trump returns to White House correspondents’ din…

United States President Donald Trump will address the White House Correspondents’ Association at a rescheduled gala on Friday, nearly three months after a shooting outside the Washington Hilton forced the cancellation of the April event.

The black-tie dinner, now relocated to the Waldorf Astoria hotel, will take place under heightened security. Secret Service Director Sean Curran said an advance team had implemented a comprehensive plan, acknowledging the risk of hostile actors but stressing that the agency was treating the venue with the same rigor as any presidential site.

The April 25 incident occurred as Trump and his cabinet were arriving. A man armed with a shotgun attempted to breach a security checkpoint and opened fire. Secret Service officer Victor Gonzales, credited with stopping the attack, was shot but survived thanks to his protective vest. Gonzales will be honored at Friday’s dinner, along with Hilton staff who assisted guests during the chaos. The suspect, Cole Allen, has pleaded not guilty to charges including attempted assassination of the president.

Trump has argued the attack underscored the need for a $400 million ballroom under construction at the White House, saying future events held there would enhance presidential security.

The correspondents’ dinner, a century-old Washington tradition, raises funds for journalism scholarships and celebrates the First Amendment. Trump is scheduled to deliver remarks, with entertainment provided by mentalist Oz Pearlman.

This year’s event carries added weight. Trump has frequently clashed with the press, denouncing coverage as “fake news,” restricting access for outlets such as the Associated Press, and threatening to revoke broadcast licenses. Yet he has also given reporters more direct access than recent presidents, often taking questions in unscripted settings.

Several journalism organizations have urged the WHCA to use the dinner to condemn what they describe as Trump’s attacks on press freedom. WHCA President Weijia Jiang said the gala would send a clear message: “Violence has no place in American life and a free press will not be intimidated into silence.”

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Who bullied Syed Mohammad Ahmed? Name emerges

    Actor and writer Syed Mohammad Ahmed has previously spoken about what he described as a difficult experience involving a younger male actor during the filming of a drama. Ahmed did not publicly identify the actor at the time. He said the alleged mistreatment had left him humiliated and made it difficult for him to complete the project. The matter has now resurfaced after a report by FHM Pakistan identified actor Fahad Sheikh as the person allegedly involved. The publication shared a video discussing the claim. The allegation has attracted attention on social media and within Pakistan’s entertainment industry. However, the claims have not been independently verified. Actor Shamoon Abbasi had earlier expressed support for Ahmed. He said he knew the younger actor involved and suggested that an apology should be offered. Abbasi had also indicated that the actor’s identity could eventually become public if no apology was made. According to the report, Ahmed and Sheikh worked together on two television dramas between 2020 and 2022. The report alleges that tensions arose between the two actors during their professional association. However, the details of the alleged incident have not been independently confirmed, and Ahmed himself did not name Sheikh when he first discussed the matter publicly. The renewed discussion has generated reactions among viewers and entertainment industry followers. Many social media users are calling for greater clarity from those involved. Fahad Sheikh has not publicly responded to the allegations at the time of publication. The controversy comes amid broader discussions within Pakistan’s entertainment industry about workplace conduct, professional respect and the treatment of senior artists.

  • | |

    Spotify reveals Atif Aslam nears 8 billion streams

    Atif Aslam is entering the release of his fourth studio album with a set of streaming numbers that underscore just how far his music has travelled and how deeply it has embedded itself in the listening habits of people around the world. With Subah Aye Na set to arrive on July 31, 2026, his first full-length album since Meri Kahani debuted in 2008, Spotify has released a series of listening insights that paint a remarkable picture of his global reach. According to the figures, Atif currently holds nearly 8 billion monthly streams on the platform, drawing in more than 80 million listeners spread across 184 countries. In 2025 alone, 96 percent of Atif’s listeners streamed his songs outside Pakistan, highlighting the strength of his international fanbase across the Middle East, North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, South Asia and beyond. (jang) It is a figure that speaks to something more than commercial success. It points to a voice that has crossed cultural and linguistic boundaries in a way that very few South Asian artists have managed at this scale. The generational dimension of his audience is equally striking. Spotify stats confirm that 85 percent of his streams come from younger listeners, suggesting that despite being a millennial himself, Atif’s music resonates deeply with Gen-Z audiences who have discovered him well into his career. (jang) That cross-generational appeal is one of the rarer qualities an artist can have, and the numbers suggest it is very much alive. Last year, more than 41 million listeners discovered or returned to his music on Spotify, a surge that reflects both new audiences finding him for the first time and long-time fans coming back. (jang) The platform also confirmed that his songs appear on more than 37.5 million user-created playlists, including wedding playlists, late night drive compilations and more, (jang) a detail that says as much about the emotional context of his music as it does about its streaming performance. His songs are not simply being listened to. They are being chosen for life’s most significant moments. Atif himself has been characteristically thoughtful in describing what the new album represents. “This album is a true representation of freeing myself from the chaos and meeting my real self,” he said. “Stay tuned. I can’t wait for all of you to hear it.” Subah Aye Na is an eight-track album featuring the songs Subah Aye Na, Safar Mein Hun, Ishq, Let’s Have Some Fun, Sun Sajna, Hun Ishq Mein, Char Yaar and Sachay Waday. For an artist whose career began with Doorie and Aadat and has since become the soundtrack to countless lives across the subcontinent and beyond, July 31 represents not just a new release but a return to something deeply personal.

  • |

    Central Command announces completion of two-hour retaliatory strike campaign against Iranian military targets

    The United States military has completed a concentrated two-hour campaign of heavy air strikes targeting dozens of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps installations across Iran, according to an official statement released by US Central Command. The precision operations focused primarily on disabling strategic military assets, including high-level command centres, missile production and drone manufacturing facilities, coastal radar surveillance outposts, integrated air defence networks, and naval infrastructure. Military officials confirmed that the retaliatory operation was executed following an attempted surprise ballistic missile attack launched by Iranian forces against American military personnel stationed in the region. Central Command stated that US defensive systems successfully intercepted all incoming Iranian missiles, preventing casualties or facility damage. According to defence spokespersons, the targeted strikes were designed to degrade Iran’s offensive capabilities, neutralise recurring threats posed by regional proxy forces, and safeguard commercial shipping corridors and partner nations across the Arabian Gulf.

  • |

    New anti-Taliban group emerges in Afghanistan

      Armed resistance against the Taliban appears to be expanding in Afghanistan, with a new anti-Taliban group reportedly emerging in the northern province of Faryab. Sources say growing opposition to the Taliban’s style of governance, alleged ethnic discrimination and corruption has fueled resistance among sections of the Afghan population. Opposition has also increased over restrictions on education, employment and basic human rights, while the ongoing situation has contributed to a rise in Afghan migration toward Europe. According to sources, fighters affiliated with the newly formed Liberation Front carried out an attack against Taliban forces in Faryab province on Monday. The group is expected to formally announce its organisational structure, leadership and future activities within the next few days. The emergence of the new group comes as other anti-Taliban factions also signal plans to intensify their activities. General Sami Sadat, head of the Afghanistan United Front, and General Yasin Zia of the Afghanistan Freedom Front have both announced their intention to step up resistance against the Taliban. The developments indicate growing challenges for the Taliban as it continues to face opposition from armed groups as well as criticism over its policies on governance, human rights, education and employment.

  • | |

    PML-N MNA Malik Iqbal Channar dies after prolonged…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Member of the National Assembly Malik Muhammad Iqbal Channar passed away after battling a prolonged illness, his family confirmed on Saturday. His death has been met with grief across political circles, with leaders and supporters paying tribute to his decades of public and political service. According to his family, Malik Iqbal Channar had been ill for several weeks. During his illness, he suffered a brain haemorrhage and was admitted to hospital, where doctors performed surgery in an effort to save his life. Despite medical treatment, he could not recover and passed away. Malik Iqbal Channar was serving as a member of the National Assembly from the NA-168 Bahawalpur constituency. He was considered a senior politician in the region and remained closely associated with the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz for many years. Throughout his political career, Channar actively participated in public welfare initiatives and maintained close contact with his constituents. He was known within the party as a loyal worker and a committed representative who remained dedicated to serving the people. Following the news of his death, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed profound sorrow and extended his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family. In his condolence message, the prime minister praised the late lawmaker’s political, social and public contributions. He said Malik Iqbal Channar devoted his life to serving the people and strengthening the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz through his commitment and hard work. Shehbaz Sharif said the country had lost a sincere public representative whose services would be remembered with respect. He described Channar as a loyal and ideological worker of the PML-N and a trusted companion of party president Nawaz Sharif. The prime minister also recalled his personal association with the late parliamentarian. He said he had the opportunity to know Malik Iqbal Channar personally and work alongside him on several occasions during his tenure in the Punjab government. He added that Channar’s loyalty, dedication and commitment to both the party and the people would always be remembered. The prime minister prayed for the departed soul and asked Allah Almighty to grant patience and strength to his family during this difficult time. The passing of Malik Iqbal Channar marks the end of a long political career spent in public service. His death has created a sense of loss among party workers, political colleagues and residents of Bahawalpur, many of whom remembered him as a dedicated leader who remained connected to his constituency throughout his time in office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *