syria rejects israels
|

Syria rejects Israel’s claim over airbase strike

Syria has rejected Israel’s explanation for an airstrike on a military airbase in northern Syria, saying there were no plans to establish a Turkish military base or permanent Turkish presence at the facility.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Damascus had informed Israeli officials about the nature of the work being carried out at Abu al-Duhur airbase before the attack.

According to Syrian officials, the facility was being repaired and prepared for use by the Syrian Air Force. The work was focused on restoring runways and infrastructure damaged during Syria’s civil war.

Israel carried out at least eight strikes on the airbase early Tuesday, hitting runways and hangars. The attacks reportedly damaged recently repaired sections of the facility. No casualties were reported.

Israeli officials said the operation was aimed at preventing what they described as a Turkish military buildup at the site. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also said Syria had previously been warned against allowing a Turkish military presence at the base.

Al-Shaibani strongly disputed that account. He said the airbase was largely empty and had not yet become fully operational.

“There was no Turkish military buildup at the base,” the Syrian foreign minister said, arguing that the situation on the ground did not support Israel’s justification for the strike.

He acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the facility shortly before the attack. However, he described the visit as part of broader military cooperation between Syria and Türkiye, including training and the exchange of expertise.

Al-Shaibani said Syria had also developed military cooperation with countries including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar and Russia as it works to rebuild its institutions.

He stressed that Syria is a sovereign country and has the right to establish partnerships with other states.

The Syrian minister also said Syrian and Israeli officials had remained in contact before the airstrike. Damascus had reportedly explained that the facility would remain under Syrian control and that no permanent Turkish deployment was planned.

Following the attack, Syria contacted the United States and other countries to protest the strike and seek measures to prevent similar incidents.

Al-Shaibani said Damascus had warned Washington about what it described as Israel’s increasingly aggressive policies toward Syria. He also called for respect for Syrian sovereignty and warned against turning Syrian territory into a battleground for wider regional disputes.

Despite the latest escalation, Damascus said it remained open to negotiations with Israel aimed at reducing tensions along their border.

Al-Shaibani said Syria and Israel had previously spent months negotiating a security arrangement through US mediation. According to him, the two sides had made substantial progress and reached an understanding on paper, but Israel later failed to implement the agreed framework.

The Syrian foreign minister said future negotiations could resume if there was genuine political will. He maintained that any security arrangement must address the concerns of both sides while respecting Syria’s sovereignty.

Meanwhile, Türkiye has strongly backed Syria following the Israeli strike.

Turkish Communications Director Burhanettin Duran criticised Netanyahu’s statements about Türkiye and accused the Israeli leadership of using threats against regional countries to divert attention from its own policies.

Duran said Türkiye would continue supporting Syria and other countries seeking peaceful solutions to regional conflicts.

He argued that Israel’s military actions in Gaza, Syria and Lebanon had contributed to growing instability across the region. He also said Ankara opposed policies that could widen the conflict.

Duran stressed that Türkiye’s objective was to reduce bloodshed and promote peace, with the Palestinian issue and the situation in Gaza remaining among its key concerns.

Similar Posts

  • Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canada as Carney vows to consider ‘All Options’ in response

    US President Donald Trump has imposed a 50% tariff on a wide range of goods imported from Canada, retaliating against what he called “unequal treatment” of US cars, dairy, and alcohol. Everyday consumer items like wine and hockey sticks, as well as industrial goods such as cement, are on the target list, though several key exports including energy, potash, critical minerals, and fish will be spared. Prime Minister Mark Carney said he had spoken to Trump and both leaders agreed to “intensify” trade talks in a bid to calm growing tensions between the North American neighbours. However, Carney warned that “all options” were on the table in terms of how Canada could respond to the fresh tariff threat. Since the tariff war broke out more than 18 months ago, Carney said Canadians have “stood together” by buying home-produced goods and agreeing new trade routes with other countries. “[The] country is stronger, stronger because we are united, and we will remain united,” he told reporters. Tensions between the major trading partners have been simmering since Trump returned to office in January last year and unleashed a wide-ranging global programme of tariffs. Asked about the latest tariffs, which the White House says will take effect in 30 days, Trump said Canada had been “very, very tough on us over the years” and “no other presidents done anything about it.” He added: “I love Canada, I love the people of Canada, many friends that live in Canada. Without us, there’s no way they can survive.” The latest move comes after the US Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that many of the tariffs imposed globally under emergency powers were illegally enacted. Trump has since sought other legal avenues to push through his flagship trade policy. Trump has said the levies will boost American manufacturing and jobs, but some economists have warned that higher charges on imported goods risk pushing up prices for consumers. This new round of duties on Canadian goods has also fuelled speculation about a potential wider tariff announcement by the US on countries across the world. US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on Tuesday that he expected to “see some action soon” when asked about the possibility of forthcoming levies. Canada, which is one of the US’s closest trading partners, was one of the few countries to retaliate last year against Trump’s tariffs, placing a 25% levy of its own on about C$30 billion worth of US goods. Carney later dropped some of them. As the trade war escalates, the implications for both economies remain significant. Canada’s reliance on US markets for exports and the interconnected nature of North American supply chains mean that any prolonged tariff dispute could have far-reaching consequences. Carney’s warning that “all options” are on the table suggests that Canada is prepared to respond forcefully if necessary, potentially escalating the conflict further. The coming weeks will be critical in determining whether diplomatic efforts can de-escalate the tensions or whether the trade war will intensify, impacting businesses and consumers on both sides of the border. The international community will be watching closely as two of the world’s largest trading partners navigate this dangerous standoff.

  • |

    Dhurandhar actress Ayesha Khan detained by Mumbai police, questions their silence

    Actress Ayesha Khan has spoken out against the Mumbai Police and was briefly detained during a protest in the city. Ayesha rose to fame with her song ‘Shararat’ in Dhurandhar. She was earlier a wildcard entry on Bigg Boss 17. She has also appeared in ‘Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon 2’. The actress was picked up near Dadar where she went in solidarity with student protesters. The students are demanding answers over the NEET paper leak and several have died by suicide amid the fallout. Ayesha said she was not part of the actual protest. She had only stopped because her brother and male friends were already detained. In emotional videos on Instagram, she said her hands were shaking. She shared that she did not raise a single slogan, yet she was pulled into the police van. She said several policewomen had to escort her by force. She was later moved from Dadar to Worli police station and two of her female friends were with her. She kept asking police why she was detained but no one gave her a clear answer. In another post, Ayesha claimed that she was dragged despite standing peacefully and her questions to police went unanswered. The Mumbai protest is linked to a larger movement. It began in Delhi under the Cockroach Janta Party and students and activists are behind the push. Their ‘Chalo Sansad’ drive has now spread nationwide. They demand the government to act on the NEET paper leak and deeper flaws in the education system. Ayesha is known for speaking up on social issues. She has a strong following online and one of several people detained as police cleared the area in Dadar. Her videos are now circulating widely while many are waiting to see if the Mumbai police will respond to her questions.

  • | |

    Israel quietly receives advanced INS Drakon submar…

    JERUSALEM: Israel has quietly taken delivery of the advanced INS Drakon submarine, with the handover reportedly taking place without the usual public ceremony or official fanfare. According to media reports, the submarine belongs to the Dakar-class fleet and was built in Germany by Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems (TKMS). The vessel is regarded as one of the most sophisticated additions to the Israeli Navy’s underwater fleet. Defense analysts say the INS Drakon is designed for long-range covert operations, intelligence gathering, and extended deployments at sea, significantly enhancing Israel’s naval capabilities. The submarine is part of Israel’s ongoing efforts to modernize its maritime defense amid evolving regional security challenges. Some defense experts have also suggested that Israel’s Dolphin-class submarines may be capable of carrying nuclear-armed missiles, although Israeli authorities have never officially confirmed such capabilities. The arrival of the INS Drakon further strengthens Israel’s strategic naval deterrence and expands its ability to conduct long-duration missions across distant maritime regions.

  • |

    Sistrology face backlash over Spider-Man movie outfits

    Spider-Man fever has reached Pakistan, but a recent appearance by popular YouTube sisters Sistrology has sparked an online debate over fashion and modesty. With Tom Holland returning as Peter Parker in the latest Spider-Man film, Spider-Man: Brand New Day, the superhero has once again become a global pop culture sensation. The film has dominated conversations worldwide, drawing huge crowds to cinemas and inspiring fans to celebrate the iconic Marvel character in different ways. The excitement has also been felt in Pakistan, where moviegoers have flocked to theatres to watch the superhero adventure. As the craze continues to grow, many fans have embraced the theme by wearing Spider-Man-inspired outfits and accessories during cinema visits. Among those joining the trend were the members of Sistrology, the popular Pakistani YouTube sisters known for sharing lifestyle content, vlogs, and family moments. The younger sisters recently attended a screening of the film dressed in Spider-Man-themed outfits, documenting the experience in a vlog that quickly gained traction across social media platforms. While many viewers enjoyed the fun and playful costumes, others reacted negatively after clips from the vlog began circulating online. The sisters’ appearance soon became the subject of widespread discussion, with social media users expressing mixed opinions about their clothing choices. Critics argued that the outfits were not suitable and questioned whether they aligned with local cultural values. Some users claimed the costumes were too revealing, while others suggested the sisters should have opted for more modest attire. A number of comments focused on the contrast between international pop culture trends and traditional expectations surrounding public appearances in Pakistan. Several social media posts criticizing the vlog quickly went viral. One user questioned the absence of modesty, while another described the outfits as inappropriate. Others used humour and wordplay to mock the costumes, creating memes and jokes that spread across various platforms. Despite the criticism, the sisters also received support from fans who defended their right to express themselves through fashion. Supporters argued that the costumes were inspired by a globally popular superhero and were intended purely for entertainment. Many also pointed out that dressing according to a movie theme is a common practice at cinemas around the world and should not automatically become a source of controversy. The incident has once again highlighted how quickly social media can turn a lighthearted moment into a national discussion. Public figures and influencers often find themselves under intense scrutiny, with even casual fashion choices becoming topics of debate. As of now, Sistrology have not publicly responded to the criticism surrounding their Spider-Man-themed outfits. However, the discussion continues online, with users divided between those who believe the sisters crossed a line and those who feel they are being unfairly judged for simply participating in a global movie trend. The episode reflects the growing influence of social media in shaping public opinion, where viral moments can spark conversations about entertainment, culture, fashion, and personal expression within just a few hours.

  • | |

    Aramco profit soars 44% despite Houthi attack thre…

    Riyadh: Saudi oil giant Aramco has reported a 44% increase in profits, with company officials saying recent attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels failed to disrupt its production or operations. Aramco President and CEO Amin H. Nasser said attempts to target the company’s facilities, including sites near the Red Sea, had no significant impact on its oil output or operational capacity. He credited the company’s strong security measures and operational planning for ensuring uninterrupted production and energy supplies. Speaking to reporters, Nasser said Aramco continued to operate normally despite heightened regional tensions, demonstrating the resilience of its infrastructure and workforce. He added that the company’s strong financial performance reflects its ability to maintain stable energy production while reinforcing its position as a leading global supplier. Energy analysts say Aramco’s ability to keep production steady despite ongoing security risks is crucial for maintaining stability in global oil markets. They also believe the company’s latest results highlight investor confidence and the resilience of Saudi Arabia’s energy sector amid continued regional uncertainty.

  • | |

    Former MPA accuses ex-wife of AI image deception

    Former Sindh Assembly member Ghulam Rasool Unar has accused his former wife of allegedly deceiving him through artificial intelligence-generated images. The case was heard by the Additional District and Sessions Court South in Karachi. During the hearing, the former MPA’s ex-wife opposed the petition filed by Unar. Her lawyer rejected several claims made in the petition. He said the former MPA’s claim that he had established contact with the woman through social media was not correct. The lawyer also told the court that the applicant had accepted certain conditions before the marriage. He said these conditions were acknowledged through an affidavit signed before the couple’s marriage. The dispute relates to allegations about photographs allegedly shared before the marriage. A few days earlier, Ghulam Rasool Unar had approached the court with his allegations. In his petition, he claimed that he had communicated with the woman through social media before their marriage. According to the former MPA, photographs were shared with him during their communication. He claimed that the woman appeared different in those photographs. Unar alleged that he saw his former wife in person for the first time after the marriage. He claimed that her appearance was completely different from the photographs he had received before the marriage. The former lawmaker alleged that the photographs had been manipulated or generated using artificial intelligence. He said the difference between the images and the woman’s actual appearance led him to distance himself from her. Unar further told the court that he stopped maintaining contact with the woman after seeing her in person. He also stated in his petition that he divorced her on August 9. The divorce followed the dispute over the alleged differences between the photographs and her actual appearance, according to his account. The former wife’s lawyer, however, disputed the allegations. The defence maintained that the claims made by the former MPA should not be accepted without proper legal examination. The court proceedings have brought attention to the growing legal questions surrounding AI-generated and digitally manipulated images. Such technology can create highly realistic photographs and has raised concerns about identity, consent and online deception. The case is still being heard. The allegations made by the former MPA have not been established by the court, while his former wife has challenged his claims through her legal counsel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *