trump says there
|

Trump says there is ‘Good Chance’ of deal with Iran as drone attacks continue

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that there is a “good chance” of reaching a deal with Iran, but warned that Washington would resume military operations if negotiations fail, even as Tehran appeared to test the pause in the US campaign with drone attacks on Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Iraq .

“They want to meet, and we are meeting. We’ll see what happens. There is a chance we can make a deal,” Trump told reporters . “Without what we did, they wouldn’t even be talking to us.”

Washington abruptly suspended a two-week campaign of air strikes against Iran on Saturday in the president’s latest strategic U-turn in the five-month-old conflict . “We’re talking right now,” Trump said aboard Air Force One. “We’re having good talks… I think there’s a good chance that something could happen, and if it does, good; if it doesn’t, we go back to doing what we were doing two days ago.”

However, Tehran appeared to quickly test the pause in the US military campaign. Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Iraq reported drone attacks on Monday . Saudi Arabia said it shot down drones aimed at petroleum targets, including in the capital Riyadh, and stated that the drones had been launched from Iraq by Iran-backed armed groups, reserving the right to respond .

Separately, Iran’s Houthi allies in Yemen said they had targeted the 1,200-km East-West Pipeline carrying oil to Saudi Arabia’s main Red Sea port of Yanbu, in retaliation for what they said were Saudi drone incursions into Yemeni airspace .

Iran has stated it is not seeking to resume peace talks with the US, although it would pause its own attacks for as long as Trump’s self-imposed ceasefire continues . Tehran also said it was still in control of the situation and would not let the US determine the end of the conflict .

The contrasting signals from Washington and Tehran come as Pakistan and Qatar continue their mediation efforts, proposing a joint de-escalation formula urging both sides to return to their pre-July 9 positions as a first step toward resuming stalled talks . The path to a deal remains fraught with challenges as hostilities on the ground persist .

Similar Posts

  • |

    Houthis launch deadly missile and drone strikes in Yemen

    Houthi forces launched a series of missile and drone attacks on several Yemeni government military bases in the provinces of Hadramout and Marib, killing at least 30 soldiers and injuring 15 others, according to the Yemeni government. Officials warned that the death toll could rise as some of the wounded remain in critical condition. Meanwhile, the Houthis claimed the attacks caused hundreds of casualties among government forces, although independent verification of that figure is not available. Houthi spokesperson Yahya Saree said the strikes came in response to recent military movements by government forces. The Yemeni military confirmed the attacks and said they followed its own operations against Houthi positions. Arab media reported that the Houthis fired eight missiles from Al Jawf province, targeting military camps in Al Thaniyah and Al Abr in Hadramout, as well as Al Rawk in Marib. The strikes hit while soldiers had gathered for training exercises, contributing to the high number of casualties. The attacks rank among the deadliest military operations in Yemen since 2022 and come as clashes between the two sides have intensified in recent weeks, raising fears of further escalation. The U.S. Embassy condemned the attacks, describing them as a “cowardly act of terrorism,” and expressed condolences to the families of the fallen Yemeni soldiers. Separately, the Saudi-led coalition said a Houthi attack on the Saudi border city of Najran wounded 11 civilians, including a woman and a child. The Houthis have not immediately claimed responsibility for that incident.

  • |

    45,000 attend arbaeen procession in Dearborn

    More than 45,000 mourners gathered in Dearborn, Michigan, for a major procession marking Arbaeen, the 40th day of mourning following the martyrdom of Imam Hussain (RA) and his companions at the Battle of Karbala. The large gathering brought together members of the Shia Muslim community from Dearborn and other parts of Michigan, with participants filling the city’s streets to pay tribute to Imam Hussain (RA) and remember the sacrifices made at Karbala. During the procession, mourners recited elegies and took part in traditional mourning rituals, expressing grief and devotion while commemorating the events of Karbala. The gathering also served as an opportunity for participants to reflect on the values associated with Imam Hussain (RA), including justice, courage, sacrifice, and standing against oppression. The procession featured a strong display of religious devotion as thousands of participants marched through the streets in an atmosphere of mourning and remembrance. Families and community members joined the event, making it a significant religious gathering for the local Muslim population. Organizers described the event as the largest Arbaeen gathering of its kind in the history of the United States. They said the growing number of participants demonstrates the increasing scale of the annual commemoration and the strong connection of the community with the religious and historical significance of Karbala. The turnout also marked a notable increase compared with last year’s event. Around 40,000 people reportedly attended the Arbaeen procession in Dearborn in the previous year, while this year’s gathering attracted more than 45,000 participants. Arbaeen holds deep religious importance for Shia Muslims worldwide. It marks the completion of 40 days of mourning for Imam Hussain (RA), who was martyred alongside members of his family and companions at Karbala in 680 AD. Millions of people participate in Arbaeen commemorations across different countries, with the annual pilgrimage in Iraq drawing one of the world’s largest religious gatherings. The Dearborn procession has become an important annual event for the city’s Shia Muslim community, allowing participants to come together to remember the tragedy of Karbala and honor the legacy of Imam Hussain (RA).

  • |

    Senegal court jails TikTok creators for insulting president

    A Senegalese court has sentenced three TikTok influencers to custodial sentences and fines for insulting President Bassirou Diomaye Faye. Critics have condemned the ruling as a direct blow to free expression within the country. The creators work for Feenal Digital, an online channel known for producing content supportive of former Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko. The decision follows a recent political rift between President Faye and Sonko. Mandoumbe Diop, operating under the moniker Lamignou Darou, received a three-month unconditional prison term. He represents the most prominent of the group, boasting over 500,000 followers on TikTok. Magueye Diaw and Moustapha Ndiaye were each handed two-month custodial sentences alongside fines of 500,000 CFA francs. Defence counsel Abdy Nar Ndiaye argued the posts were purely satirical and did not warrant criminal sanction.

  • |

    Powerful 7.7 quake kills 20 in Indonesia

    At least 20 people have been killed after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores Island early Saturday, triggering widespread panic, building damage and a series of strong aftershocks. The earthquake struck shortly before 5am local time at a depth of about 15 kilometres, according to Indonesia’s meteorological and geophysics authorities. The relatively shallow depth increased the potential for severe damage across affected areas. Indonesia’s disaster management authorities said several people were injured, with the figures still considered preliminary as rescue teams continue searching damaged buildings and assessing casualties. The strongest aftershocks included a 6.1-magnitude tremor, forcing residents to remain outdoors because of fears that weakened structures could collapse. Dramatic scenes were reported at the port of Maumere, where sections of a terminal building broke apart during the earthquake. A gangway leading to a ferry also collapsed, sending some passengers into the sea as people attempted to escape. East Nusa Tenggara Governor Emanuel Melkiades Laka Lena said some victims were killed while sleeping after rubble from collapsing structures fell on them. Residents described the earthquake as extremely frightening. People rushed out of their homes and moved towards safer areas, with many heading to higher ground after authorities issued a tsunami warning. The tsunami alert was later lifted about three hours after the earthquake when no significant rise in sea levels was detected. Authorities said around 2,000 people evacuated or moved to safer locations on their own during the warning. Officials reported fatalities in several provinces, including Sikka, Manggarai and East Manggarai. At least two people were seriously injured while 11 others suffered minor injuries. The earthquake also caused extensive structural damage. Initial assessments indicated that dozens of houses had been severely damaged along with healthcare facilities, places of worship, government buildings, an educational institution and a warehouse. Manggarai was identified as one of the worst-affected areas. Rescue and assessment teams are continuing to work in the region, although difficult mountainous terrain could make operations challenging. Authorities have urged residents to remain calm, avoid coastal areas and stay away from buildings that have been damaged or weakened by the earthquake and aftershocks.

  • | | |

    Ukraine claims strike on Russian weapons factory a…

    Ukraine has claimed responsibility for a series of long-range strikes targeting key Russian military infrastructure, including a weapons components factory, a warship, and a cargo vessel allegedly linked to the transportation of Iranian military equipment. The announcement was made by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who said the operations were part of Kyiv’s continued efforts to weaken Russia’s military capabilities. In a statement posted on the social media platform X, Zelensky said Ukrainian forces carried out precision strikes overnight against facilities that support Russia’s ongoing military campaign. He described the attacks as a response to continued Russian assaults on Ukrainian cities and infrastructure. According to the Ukrainian president, one of the primary targets was a factory in Russia’s Kirov region that manufactures components used in weapons deployed against Ukraine. Zelensky noted that the facility is located approximately 1,200 kilometers (745 miles) from the Ukrainian border, highlighting the growing range of Ukraine’s strike capabilities. Ukraine also claimed to have targeted an oil refinery in Tyumen, a logistics facility in Yekaterinburg, and a fuel and supply depot in Rostov-on-Don. These locations are considered strategically important for supporting Russian military operations and logistics. In addition to the strikes inside Russia, Zelensky said Ukrainian forces achieved significant results in the Caspian Sea. He claimed that a Russian warship and vessels allegedly involved in transporting Iranian military-related cargo were also targeted during the operation. Ukraine has not released further details regarding the extent of the damage. Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Ministry confirmed that one of its commercial ships was hit in the Caspian Sea and strongly condemned the incident. Iranian officials said the attack caused an explosion aboard the vessel, killing one civilian and injuring another. Tehran described the strike as an act of aggression and accused Ukraine of attempting to broaden the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Iran also stated that it would safeguard its national interests and security while condemning any attacks on its civilian maritime assets. The incident has added another layer of tension to an already complex regional situation involving Russia, Ukraine, and Iran. The claims made by Ukraine and Iran have not been independently verified, and Russian authorities have not issued a detailed public response regarding the reported strikes. As the conflict continues, long-range attacks on military and logistical targets remain a significant feature of the ongoing war, reflecting the evolving nature of the battlefield and the growing strategic reach of both sides.

  • | | |

    Iran warns tankers over Strait of Hormuz passage

    Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has claimed that one of three oil tankers caught fire after an explosion while attempting to navigate a route reportedly surrounded by naval mines south of the Strait of Hormuz. According to the IRGC, the other two tankers turned back and abandoned their attempt to continue through the area. The Iranian force said the incident occurred amid heightened tensions in the strategically important waterway, which serves as a major route for global energy shipments. The IRGC maintains that Iran controls the Strait of Hormuz and has closed the passage completely in response to what it describes as increased US military activity in the region. The IRGC also issued a warning to commercial vessels, saying that no tanker would receive permission to enter or pass through the strait without Iran’s approval. The statement signals a further escalation in tensions surrounding one of the world’s most important oil transit routes. The Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and remains a crucial corridor for international energy supplies. Any disruption to shipping through the waterway could affect global oil markets and raise concerns over the security of maritime trade. The reported tanker incident and Iran’s warning come as regional tensions remain high, increasing uncertainty for shipping companies and energy markets operating in and around the Gulf.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *