typhoon noul hits
| |

Typhoon Noul hits China, 715,000 evacuated

Typhoon Noul has made landfall in southern China, bringing powerful winds and heavy rainfall to Guangdong province and neighbouring Hong Kong.

The storm reached the coast of Huidong county in Huizhou, Guangdong, at around 3:50am local time on Sunday, according to China’s weather authorities.

Noul was reported to be the strongest typhoon to make landfall in China so far this year. Authorities warned that heavy rain and strong winds could continue across parts of southern Guangdong and southeastern Fujian.

More than 715,000 people in Guangdong had been moved to safer locations by early Sunday as authorities stepped up preparations for the storm. The number was more than double the evacuation figure reported a day earlier.

The typhoon brought winds of up to 110 kilometres per hour near its centre as it moved inland across Guangdong. Weather officials said the storm would gradually weaken after making landfall, but dangerous weather conditions were expected to persist.

Strong winds caused damage in several areas. Trees were uprooted in coastal Huilai county, while sections of scaffolding attached to a high-rise building in Hong Kong collapsed as Noul approached. Initial reports indicated that nobody was injured in the scaffolding incident.

The storm also severely disrupted air travel. Hong Kong’s airport authorities said around 350 flights were cancelled on Sunday because of the adverse weather.

At least nine people were injured in Hong Kong during the typhoon period, according to local authorities.

The storm also affected Taiwan, where authorities reported rainfall in parts of the southern and eastern regions. Noul was moving away from the island after passing over waters to its south.

China has faced several major tropical storms this month. Typhoon Bavi struck eastern China on July 11 after authorities evacuated more than two million people. Tropical Storm Maysak made landfall in southern China on July 3.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Syria condemns Israeli airstrikes as ‘flagrant violation’

    Syria has strongly condemned Israeli airstrikes on the Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in Idlib province, calling the attack a serious violation of its sovereignty. The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the strikes were an unjustified act of aggression. It warned that continued Israeli attacks could further destabilise the region. According to Syrian state media, Israeli aircraft carried out several strikes on the abandoned military airbase early Tuesday. The attacks targeted the runway and caused damage to the facility’s infrastructure. No casualties were reported in the strikes. The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the attacks were particularly concerning as Damascus was seeking to maintain stability and avoid further escalation in the region. It accused Israel of undermining those efforts and increasing tensions through repeated military operations inside Syrian territory. The ministry said Israeli attacks had continued since December 2024. It argued that the repeated strikes threatened Syria’s territorial integrity and regional security. The Abu al-Duhur airbase is located in the eastern countryside of Idlib in northern Syria. The facility has been largely inactive, but its strategic military infrastructure has remained a target during Israel’s operations in Syria. Israel has carried out numerous strikes in Syria in recent years. Its operations have previously targeted weapons depots, missile facilities and military positions linked to Iranian forces and Hezbollah. The latest strikes also drew concern from Washington. US envoy to Syria Tom Barrack said the United States was “deeply concerned” about the Israeli operation. He described the strikes as an unnecessary escalation that would not contribute to regional stability. Barrack said Syria’s current government had not adopted what he called a predatory approach or maintained proxy forces. He added that Damascus had repeatedly indicated a preference for reducing tensions with Israel. The US envoy said Washington remained willing to support diplomatic efforts between the two sides. He stressed that dialogue should be prioritised over military escalation. The latest developments come amid continued instability in Syria following the fall of the Bashar al-Assad government. Israel has expanded its military activity in Syria since then, citing security concerns. Damascus has repeatedly condemned Israeli military operations and called for respect for Syrian sovereignty.

  • | |

    Fahad Sheikh responds to Syed Mohammad Ahmed controversy

    Pakistani actor and host Fahad Sheikh has addressed the controversy surrounding allegations that he mistreated veteran actor Syed Mohammad Ahmed on a drama set. The controversy began after Syed Mohammad Ahmed spoke about an unpleasant experience involving a younger lead actor. Although he did not publicly name the actor, Fahad Sheikh was later identified by social media users as the person allegedly involved in the incident. The allegations quickly attracted attention across social media, with several Pakistani celebrities and fans expressing support for the veteran actor. Fahad also faced criticism over the incident and was urged to explain his side of the story. Responding to the controversy, Fahad Sheikh said the video circulating online was taken from what he described as a joking interaction among members of the cast. He maintained that the actors had developed a family-like bond while working together. Fahad also addressed Syed Mohammad Ahmed directly and offered an apology. He said he was willing to apologise publicly again if the senior actor wanted him to do so. However, Fahad expressed anger over the leaked footage. He warned that legal action could be taken against those responsible for recording or sharing the video without permission. His response has failed to end the controversy, as social media users continue to debate whether the incident should be dismissed as a joke or treated as inappropriate behaviour towards a senior colleague. Some users criticised Fahad for focusing on the leaked video and possible legal action rather than giving a stronger apology. Others argued that the complete context of the incident should be considered before reaching a final conclusion. The controversy has also reignited discussions about workplace behaviour and respect for senior artists in Pakistan’s entertainment industry. Syed Mohammad Ahmed remains a respected figure in Pakistani television and has received considerable support from fellow actors and viewers following his account of the incident.

  • | |

    Ex-army chief Qamar Bajwa undergoes Dubai check-up

    Former Chief of Army Staff General (retd) Qamar Javed Bajwa has been shifted to the United Arab Emirates for further medical examination and treatment. Family sources said Bajwa is currently in the UAE. He travelled abroad after completing his initial treatment in Pakistan. The former army chief was examined by a team of specialist doctors in Dubai. The doctors carried out a detailed medical check-up. According to family sources, Bajwa’s condition has improved considerably after the medical examination. However, the results of some important medical tests are still awaited. Doctors will review the remaining reports before giving their final recommendations. His further treatment and return to Pakistan will depend on the doctors’ advice. Family sources said Bajwa will stay in the UAE for a few days. He will remain with his son during his stay in the country. A final decision about his return to Pakistan will be taken after the doctors review all his medical reports. His family is also awaiting the doctors’ further instructions. Bajwa had suffered serious injuries around four and a half months ago. He reportedly slipped and fell at his residence. The accident caused injuries to his head and back. He was immediately shifted to Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Rawalpindi for treatment. The former army chief remained admitted to the hospital for around three weeks. He received treatment under the supervision of military doctors. At the time, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) officially confirmed that Bajwa had been injured after falling at his residence. The military’s media wing said he was receiving treatment at CMH Rawalpindi. His condition was monitored by doctors during his stay at the hospital. After completing his initial treatment in Pakistan, Bajwa later travelled to the UAE for further medical assessment. His current stay in the UAE is expected to continue until doctors complete their assessment. The results of the pending tests will help determine the next course of treatment. Family sources have not provided a specific date for his return to Pakistan. They said the decision will be made after consultation with doctors. General (retd) Qamar Javed Bajwa served as Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff from November 2016 to November 2022. He retired from the position after completing his tenure in November 2022.

  • |

    Google’s $15bn India data centre faces green bac…

    VISAKHAPATNAM: Google’s ambitious $15 billion data centre investment in India is facing mounting resistance from environmental groups, residents and legal activists, turning what was expected to be a landmark technology project into one of the country’s most closely watched development disputes. The massive project, being developed in partnership with Indian billionaire Gautam Adani’s group, is under construction in Tarluvada near the coastal city of Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. Touted as Google’s largest-ever investment in India, the facility is expected to strengthen the company’s cloud computing and artificial intelligence infrastructure while generating an estimated 188,000 jobs. However, critics argue that the economic benefits could come at a significant environmental cost. Water concerns spark protests In recent weeks, environmental activists have intensified protests against the project, warning that the data centre could worsen water shortages in a city already struggling to meet daily demand. Demonstrators, including schoolchildren, have marched through Visakhapatnam carrying banners reading “We Cannot Drink DATA”, while others painted handcuffs over Google’s logo to symbolise what they describe as the environmental consequences of unchecked technological expansion. At a public awareness gathering attended by local campaigners, members of the environmental organisation Green Visakha outlined plans for neighbourhood campaigns and beach demonstrations aimed at increasing public awareness. Raja Rama Mohan Roy, founder of Green Visakha, argued that development should never come at the expense of local communities. “Development should not be at the cost of the livelihood of the people,” Roy said, pointing to government figures showing that Visakhapatnam currently receives around 410 million litres of water daily, despite requiring approximately 480 million litres. Water rationing has become a regular feature of life for the city’s 2.5 million residents, raising concerns about future demand. Legal battle gains momentum Opposition to the project has now reached the courts. India’s Andhra Pradesh High Court this week directed the state government to respond to allegations raised by environmental group Jal Biradari (Water Community), which claims the project could place additional pressure on regional water resources. The court is scheduled to hear the public interest litigation again on August 24. Meanwhile, three additional petitions have been filed before India’s National Green Tribunal by the Human Rights Forum. The petitioners argue that authorities approved the project without conducting sufficient environmental assessments regarding water usage and ecological impacts. Environmental groups are questioning the government’s reported commitment to provide guaranteed water supplies for the project over the next two decades while many residents continue experiencing periodic shortages. Wildlife under threat? Another major concern centres on the project’s location. According to campaigners, the construction site lies only about 860 metres from the Kambalakonda Wildlife Sanctuary, a protected forest known for its biodiversity and home to species including leopards, pangolins, spotted deer and numerous bird species. Activists fear continuous construction, heavy machinery and increased industrial activity could disturb wildlife through noise, habitat disruption and increased human presence. The Andhra Pradesh government, however, insists the development complies with all legal requirements and maintains that the sanctuary is located at a safe distance under existing regulations. Google also said it intends to minimise environmental impacts by installing sound-dampening technologies designed to reduce noise pollution around the facility. Government and Google defend project Despite growing criticism, Andhra Pradesh authorities continue to describe the project as transformational for the state’s economy. Officials rejected accusations that environmental clearances were rushed or that local drinking water resources would be diverted for industrial use. In a statement, the state government acknowledged citizens’ right to protest but said many claims circulating about the project were “incorrect and misleading.” It added that authorities remain willing to examine legitimate concerns and provide clarification where necessary. Google has similarly defended the project, stating that construction will comply fully with Indian environmental regulations. The company said it plans to use advanced air-cooling technology, significantly reducing dependence on water compared with conventional cooling systems used by many data centres. Google also stressed that sustainability remains a key part of its global operations and that the Visakhapatnam facility would be designed to protect local water resources while supporting India’s rapidly expanding digital economy. Global debate over data centres The controversy reflects a broader international debate over the environmental footprint of modern data centres. As demand for artificial intelligence, cloud computing and digital services continues to surge, technology companies worldwide are investing billions in new infrastructure. Yet these facilities often require enormous amounts of electricity and cooling, placing additional pressure on local water and power supplies. Similar concerns have emerged across the United States and Europe, where communities have challenged large-scale data centre developments over resource consumption, environmental sustainability and their impact on nearby residents. For Google, the Andhra Pradesh project represents a major strategic investment in one of its fastest-growing markets. But with legal challenges pending and public protests gathering momentum, the future of the project may depend not only on engineering and investment, but also on the company’s ability to convince local communities that technological progress can coexist with environmental protection.

  • Twenty Road Fatalities on First ‘Dangerous Day’ of Songkran Holidays

    BANGKOK — Twenty people died and 132 were injured in 135 road accidents across Thailand on Friday, the first of the “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday travel period, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation reported on Saturday. Drunk foreign driver injures 8 in Pattaya for Songkran While any loss of life remains […]

  • Thailand’s Fishing Industry Grinds to Halt as Diesel Shortages Bite

    BANGKOK — Thailand’s vital fishing industry is facing a severe crisis as diesel shortages and soaring prices force vessels to remain in port, with industry leaders warning that more than half of the country’s 9,000 fishing boats may be unable to operate. Pump Prices to Rise Starting Wednesday as Government Adjusts Fuel Subsidies Many fishing […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *