forces disable two
| | | |

US forces disable two ships amid rising tensions i…

WASHINGTON: Tensions around the Strait of Hormuz have intensified after the United States said its forces had disabled two commercial vessels that failed to comply with orders linked to its naval blockade of Iranian ports.

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces had redirected 12 commercial vessels attempting to breach the blockade as of July 25. Two ships that allegedly refused to comply were disabled, while two others were boarded to verify compliance.

The latest development adds another layer of uncertainty to maritime traffic through one of the world’s most strategically important waterways, where any disruption can have consequences for global energy and shipping markets.

CENTCOM said the Mozambique-flagged M/T Lavine was disabled in the Gulf of Oman on July 24 after its crew allegedly attempted several times to violate the blockade and ignored repeated warnings. According to the US military, the vessel had been heading towards Iran but is no longer travelling to an Iranian port.

The US military also reported a separate operation involving the Comoros-flagged M/T Charminar in the Arabian Sea. American forces boarded the tanker on July 25 for verification. After the inspection, the vessel was allowed to continue its journey, according to CENTCOM.

CENTCOM has described the naval blockade as remaining fully in effect, saying its forces are continuing to monitor commercial shipping and enforce restrictions on vessels travelling to or from Iranian ports.

The confrontation comes amid heightened US-Iran tensions and growing concerns over the security of maritime routes around the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is a crucial passage for international trade and energy shipments, making military activity in the area particularly sensitive.

The US claims its measures are aimed at preventing vessels from violating the blockade, while Iran has continued to challenge restrictions on shipping in the region.

The latest incidents could further complicate efforts to maintain safe commercial navigation. With American forces increasing enforcement and vessels facing greater scrutiny, shipping companies operating near the region are likely to remain on high alert.

For now, the Strait of Hormuz remains a major flashpoint, with every confrontation at sea carrying the risk of a broader escalation.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Democrats select Crowley, Flanagan as Republicans back Demuth in key state races

    Democratic socialist Francesca Hong and moderate David Crowley are locked in an extraordinarily tight contest for Wisconsin’s Democratic gubernatorial nomination, while Minnesota voters selected progressive Peggy Flanagan for the US Senate and Republican Lisa Demuth for governor. With 80 per cent of the votes counted in Wisconsin, Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley held a narrow lead of just a few hundred votes over Hong. The outcome remains too close to call in a race widely seen as a major test of progressive policy appeal in a crucial battleground state. Hong, a state representative and former chef, ran on a platform advocating for the abolition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), a temporary moratorium on data centres, and increased corporate taxes. Her campaign faced late scrutiny over past social media posts concerning Thanksgiving, which she subsequently clarified. The victor of the Democratic primary will face Republican nominee US Representative Tom Tiffany in November. In Wisconsin’s 3rd Congressional District, Democrats selected Rebecca Cooke to challenge Trump-aligned Republican incumbent Derrick Van Orden. Cooke, a former small business owner and waitress who has out-fundraised Van Orden, secured backing from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s “Red to Blue” programme. Across the state line in Minnesota, Democratic voters chose Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan as their US Senate nominee over moderate Representative Angie Craig. Flanagan, who campaigned on dismantling ICE, will seek the seat being vacated by retiring Democratic Senator Tina Smith. In Minnesota’s Republican gubernatorial primary, State House Speaker Lisa Demuth secured the nomination, defeating former MyPillow chief executive Mike Lindell despite his high-profile endorsement from Donald Trump. Demuth now advances to challenge Democratic nominee Senator Amy Klobuchar in the general election.

  • |

    Myanmar’s detained former leader Aung San Suu Kyi meets Red Cross official

    Myanmar’s ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi met with Arnaud de Baecque, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) resident representative, in her first publicised meeting with a foreign official since the 2021 military coup. Government-released photographs show the 81-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner in Naypyitaw alongside images of her celebrating her June birthday under house arrest, where she is currently serving an 18-year sentence following commuted convictions. While Myanmar authorities maintain Suu Kyi is in good health, international bodies and her opposition supporters continue to demand her unconditional release and independent verification of her well-being.

  • | |

    Noreen Gulwani’s bold take on love, respect and freedom

    Actor Noreen Gulwani has spoken about financial independence, relationships and personal growth, saying respect and understanding should remain the foundation between men and women. In a recent interview, Gulwani said women should not become overconfident or self-centred after becoming financially independent. She explained that some women may develop such attitudes after experiencing years of social restrictions. She said earning money should bring confidence but should not lead to arrogance. According to her, everyone should remain open to advice and criticism regardless of their financial status. Gulwani also said men have an equal responsibility in building respectful relationships. She added that women want to be treated with kindness and dignity rather than feeling controlled or restricted. Talking about marriage, the actor said she has not rushed into the decision because she is waiting for the right partner. She said she meets people and tries to understand their thoughts and personalities before considering marriage. Gulwani encouraged young people to see their twenties as a time for exploring their identity and discovering their goals. She said society often creates pressure to complete education, get a job, marry and have children quickly, but people should also focus on understanding themselves. She shared that her priorities have changed over time. The actor said she now dreams of living closer to nature and raising children away from the pressures of city life and excessive screen use. Discussing her career journey, Gulwani revealed that she initially studied journalism and broadcasting abroad. However, she later realised that the field did not match her personality and decided to focus on writing and acting. She described theatre as her biggest artistic passion. According to Gulwani, stage acting requires more energy, creativity and quick decision-making compared with television performances. She recalled that live theatre often requires actors to handle unexpected situations immediately because there is no chance to stop and repeat a scene. Speaking about social media controversies, Gulwani said she avoids unnecessary public debates. She believes that not every statement requires a response and prefers to maintain a neutral approach. Commenting on singer Falak Shabir’s views about women’s clothing, she said she did not agree with his opinion but did not think responding publicly would change the situation. She added that everyone should have the freedom to make personal choices.

  • |

    Shreya Kalra wins Lock Upp season 2 after dramatic finale

    Digital creator and actress Shreya Kalra has emerged as the winner of Lock Upp Season 2, defeating a strong lineup of finalists after an intense grand finale. Television actress Shivangi Joshi finished as the runner-up, while Yogesh Rawat, Shilpa Shinde and Ram Kapoor also reached the final stage of the competition. The finale, hosted by Farah Khan and Riteish Deshmukh, featured several challenging rounds designed to test the contestants’ strategy, resilience and decision-making skills. The finalists also faced the Janta Ki Jury segment, where a panel of 25 audience members questioned them about their gameplay, relationships inside the house and controversies that unfolded during the season. Kalra’s victory marked the end of a journey filled with emotional moments, heated confrontations and controversial incidents that kept viewers engaged throughout the season. From the beginning of the competition, she established herself as one of the strongest contestants, earning both praise and criticism for her outspoken personality. Originally from Indore, Madhya Pradesh, Shreya Kalra first gained popularity as a digital content creator before expanding her career into acting, podcasting and reality television. Her growing online fan base helped her become one of the most recognizable contestants when she entered Lock Upp Season 2. One of the earliest moments that drew attention came during the premiere episode when Kalra confronted fellow contestant Ram Kapoor over remarks he had made in the past. The exchange quickly became one of the season’s most discussed moments and set the tone for her fearless approach inside the competition. As the weeks progressed, Kalra found herself involved in several arguments with contestants including Yogesh Rawat, Akanksha Choudhary, Dheeraj Dhoopar and Sufi Motiwala. While these clashes often divided viewers, they also kept her at the center of the show’s biggest storylines. Among the season’s most controversial incidents was a conversation in which Kalra disclosed fellow contestant Akanksha Chamola’s sexual orientation. Kalra later claimed she revealed the information after Akanksha had filed a chargesheet against her inside the game. The incident sparked widespread debate among viewers, with many questioning issues related to privacy, consent and personal boundaries. Kalra also faced backlash for making personal remarks about actor Harshad Chopda during the season. Despite the criticism, she continued to survive eliminations and remained one of the most talked-about contestants until the finale. Throughout the competition, Shreya balanced emotional moments with strategic gameplay, building alliances while also standing firm during conflicts. Her determination, confidence and willingness to express her opinions helped her maintain a strong presence inside the house. After weeks of challenges, rivalries and public scrutiny, Kalra was ultimately crowned the winner of Lock Upp Season 2. Her victory concluded a season packed with drama, controversy and high-stakes competition, while runner-up Shivangi Joshi and the other finalists also earned praise for their performances throughout the reality show.

  • |

    Rajab Butt reveals why he always shows off his wealth

    Rajab Butt has become one of Pakistan’s most talked-about YouTubers and social media influencers, often attracting attention not only for his content but also for the controversies surrounding his personal and professional life. From public disputes and legal issues to discussions about his marriage, the social media personality frequently finds himself in the spotlight. While he has a large following, his outspoken personality and extravagant lifestyle have also made him a polarizing figure, with some fans strongly supporting him while others criticize his approach. In a recent interview with 24 Digital, Rajab Butt opened up about his latest controversies, public disagreements and the reasons behind his highly visible lifestyle. During the conversation, the YouTuber addressed a topic that has repeatedly sparked discussion online: his habit of openly displaying his wealth. Rajab Butt has often shared glimpses of his expensive purchases, luxurious lifestyle and business activities with his audience. He has also previously claimed that he has achieved billionaire status through his YouTube career and various business ventures. His claims and lifestyle have generated considerable discussion among social media users, with many questioning why he chooses to make so much of his financial success public. Explaining his perspective, Rajab Butt said that showing his wealth is closely connected to the nature of his work as a content creator. According to him, if he purchases something expensive, it naturally becomes part of the content he creates for his audience. He gave the example of buying a car worth Rs 5 crore, saying that if he spends such a huge amount on a vehicle, he would make a vlog about it rather than keeping the purchase completely private. For him, such moments are not simply personal experiences but also opportunities to create content and keep his viewers interested. Rajab further pointed out that content creators have increasingly turned everyday occasions into material for their videos. He noted that YouTubers can create content even from events such as birthday celebrations, suggesting that almost every aspect of a creator’s lifestyle can become part of their online presence. He explained that he follows the same approach. Since his career depends on producing engaging videos, he believes he has to make his content interesting enough to hold the audience’s attention. Sharing expensive purchases, cars and other aspects of his lifestyle is therefore part of the entertainment value he offers to his viewers. His comments provide an insight into how Rajab Butt views the relationship between his personal life and his career. Rather than treating his wealth as something that should always remain private, he considers it a source of content that can help attract viewers and generate interest. For Rajab Butt, displaying his wealth is ultimately connected to the demands of being a modern YouTuber. As social media continues to blur the line between private life and entertainment, he appears comfortable turning major personal milestones, purchases and lifestyle choices into content for his audience.

  • | |

    Trump Media charges traders up to $100,000 monthly…

    More than ten firms have signed on to pay for Trump Media’s newly launched service that grants faster access to market moving posts published on its Truth Social platform, the company disclosed during an earnings call this week. The service, called Truth API, went live at the start of August and gives Wall Street traders early visibility into posts from the platform’s most influential accounts before the general public sees them. Interim chief executive Kevin McGurn said the earliest subscribers are largely high frequency trading firms, which pay between $60,000 and $100,000 a month for the access. McGurn detailed the pricing during a call held after Trump Media reported a net loss of $238 million for the April through June quarter, a figure more than ten times larger than the loss the company posted during the same period a year earlier. The steep quarterly loss comes as Trump Media and Technology Group has expanded into ventures far removed from its original media business, including cryptocurrency holdings. Despite still operating at a loss overall, the company says it intends to refocus on its core social media mission going forward. In July, the firm unveiled plans to offer Wall Street firms and institutional investors expedited access to posts on Truth Social, a platform where President Trump regularly shares public announcements. Critics have described the arrangement as a potential edge for subscribers looking to trade stocks and other actively traded assets ahead of market moving news. The initiative has also raised legal and ethical questions, particularly around the fact that a company in which the president’s family holds a majority stake could financially benefit from his own public statements reaching paying subscribers faster than the general public. In its earnings statement released Monday, Trump Media described the new offering as a service expected to generate a new revenue stream for the company. McGurn said executives believe the product will grow into a meaningful and durable source of income alongside the company’s broader media strategy, which already includes advertising and digital asset ventures. He added that Truth Media is also exploring potential partnerships with technology companies, news organizations and betting markets. The company reported revenue of $1.7 million for the quarter, an 89 percent increase compared with the same period last year, though the overall loss stemmed largely from declining cryptocurrency values. Trump Media said it closed the quarter holding total assets of $2 billion, including roughly $1.9 billion in financial assets made up of cash, short term investments and digital currencies. The firm continues to expand into new territory, including additional cryptocurrency holdings and clean energy investments. Markus Thielen, an analyst at 10x Research, described Trump Media as functioning more like a crypto holdings firm wrapped around a media company, noting that the bulk of its recent losses trace back to that crypto focused strategy. He said the company is working to diversify beyond its digital asset exposure into areas like social media services, though those newer ventures have not yet produced significant revenue. Earlier this month, Trump Media abandoned a planned partnership with Crypto.com that would have introduced prediction market features on the Truth Social platform.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *