violence rigging allegations
|

Violence and rigging allegations in first phase of…

A worker for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) was killed and multiple scuffles broke out as the first phase of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections concluded in Mirpur division on Monday, with both major parties trading accusations of violence and pre-poll rigging .

Polling took place across 13 constituencies in the three districts of Bhimber, Mirpur, and Kotli, beginning at 8am and concluding at 6pm after a one-hour extension . While minor skirmishes between PPP and PML-N workers were reported earlier in the day, the electoral process took a violent turn in the afternoon in LA-9 Kotli-II (Nakyal) .

In a statement on X, the PPP claimed that party worker Mukhtar Younus “died during incidents of display of arms and public harassment by PML-N candidate Sardar Umail Naeem” . Mirpur Commissioner Raja Tahir Mumtaz confirmed that a man was killed and two others, including the deceased’s father, were injured . The PML-N, however, claimed that Younus had been involved in its election campaign .

PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari expressed grief over the death, stating that Younus had been “martyred in Mirpur’s Nakyal” in “firing by” the PML-N candidate . “Where are the relevant authorities? What is the Election Commission doing?” he demanded . He noted that a video had emerged two days ago of Naeem and his companions “firing in public,” and argued that the loss of life could have been prevented if authorities had acted .

Younus had been running an election campaign with party candidate Javed Budhanvi, the current food minister . Bilawal had alleged last week that a criminal case registered against Budhanvi was politically motivated . That case was registered after a PML-N activist campaigning for Naeem was killed and two others were injured in a firing incident in Kotli on July 10 .

Despite the violence, AJK Inspector General of Police retired Captain Liaqat Ali Malik said the polling process was “largely peaceful,” describing the scuffles as “part of political activity” and noting that “temperatures are usually high” at polling stations . He affirmed that legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to disrupt polling, regardless of political affiliation .

The PPP and PML-N, allies at the Centre, have been engaged in a bitter war of words in the lead-up to the polls, with observers viewing the AJK race as a direct contest between Bilawal and PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif . The PML-N had previously gifted 10 e-buses to Muzaffarabad and Mirpur, prompting the PPP to decry poll code violations .

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    800 young swimmers compete in CM Punjab Championsh…

    The two-day CM Punjab Swimming Academies Championship has started at the Punjab International Swimming Complex. The event has attracted around 800 young swimmers from different swimming academies across Punjab. Boys and girls are taking part in the championship in various age groups. The competition includes participants from Under-6 to Under-19 categories. Young swimmers are displaying their talent and determination in front of coaches, officials and spectators. The championship features five competitive events. These include the 25-metre kickboard race, 25-metre floater race, 25-metre backstroke, 25-metre breaststroke and 25-metre freestyle. Every event is designed according to the age and skill level of the participants, allowing young athletes to compete fairly. The tournament aims to encourage children and teenagers to take part in sports from an early age. It also seeks to strengthen the culture of competitive swimming in Punjab and provide a platform for young talent to grow. Coaches believe such events help swimmers improve their technique, confidence and fitness while gaining valuable experience in a competitive environment. Officials said the large turnout reflects the growing popularity of swimming among young athletes in the province. The championship also gives coaches an opportunity to assess promising swimmers who may represent Punjab in future national competitions. Parents and supporters attended the opening day to cheer for the participants. The atmosphere remained lively as swimmers competed with enthusiasm in different races throughout the day.

  • | |

    Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman criticizes Pakistan’s…

      Renowned Islamic scholar Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman has strongly criticized Pakistan’s judicial and economic systems, stating that a justice system that fails to deliver justice even after forty years cannot be considered a true system of justice but rather a system of oppression. He made these remarks while addressing a public ceremony in Karachi, where he spoke about the country’s pressing legal and economic challenges. During his speech, Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman expressed concern over the prolonged delays in the judicial process. He argued that when people have to wait decades for justice, the very purpose of the legal system is defeated. According to him, justice delayed for such an extended period effectively becomes justice denied, leaving citizens frustrated and deprived of their fundamental rights. He emphasized that a judicial system should provide timely and fair decisions so that public confidence in the rule of law remains intact. The scholar also urged those in positions of authority to focus on resolving Pakistan’s domestic problems instead of concentrating solely on international issues. He remarked that while government leaders often discuss and engage with global affairs, the country’s internal challenges require immediate attention. He specifically called upon policymakers and those holding power to prioritize the welfare of the people by addressing the nation’s economic difficulties. One of the major issues highlighted by Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman was the problem of Independent Power Producers (IPPs). He appealed to the government to find a practical and sustainable solution to the IPP issue, which has been widely debated due to its impact on electricity prices and the country’s financial stability. According to him, resolving this matter would help reduce the economic burden on both the government and ordinary citizens. Speaking about the national economy, Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman painted a concerning picture of Pakistan’s financial condition. He stated that after distributing the constitutionally allocated shares to the provinces and making payments on interest obligations, the federal government is left with very limited financial resources. This situation, he suggested, reflects the severity of the country’s fiscal challenges and highlights the urgent need for comprehensive economic reforms. He stressed that policymakers should adopt measures that promote financial stability, reduce unnecessary expenditures, and improve revenue generation without placing excessive burdens on the public. The event also featured an address by Maulana Bashir Farooqi, who criticized the government’s approach toward eliminating the interest-based financial system. He argued that the authorities are not demonstrating sufficient seriousness in transitioning toward an Islamic banking framework. According to him, meaningful reforms require not only policy changes but also practical steps to prepare financial institutions for such a transformation. Maulana Bashir Farooqi announced that his organization is willing to provide training for approximately 100,000 employees working in conventional banks. He explained that this initiative aims to equip banking professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to operate within an interest-free Islamic banking system if the government decides to pursue such reforms. He maintained that the availability of trained professionals would facilitate a smoother transition and strengthen the implementation of Islamic financial principles in the country’s banking sector. The speeches delivered at the Karachi ceremony underscored concerns regarding Pakistan’s judicial efficiency, economic management, and financial policies. Both religious leaders called on the government to prioritize domestic reforms, strengthen public institutions, address long-standing economic challenges, and work toward a system that better serves the interests of the people.

  • | |

    Court orders Azma Bukhari to appear in person over…

    LAHORE: The Lahore Sessions Court has directed Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari to appear in person and record her statement in a case involving the alleged circulation of a fake video on social media. The matter was heard by Additional Sessions Judge Nusrat Ali Siddiqui, who rejected Bukhari’s request to record her statement through video link. The court ordered her to personally appear at the next hearing to record her statement. Bukhari had challenged an earlier order issued by a judicial magistrate requiring her to appear before the court in person. The case relates to allegations surrounding the circulation of a fabricated video attributed to the provincial minister. Bukhari had approached the authorities against the alleged dissemination of the video and lodged a complaint with the National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) against Falak Javed. The court’s latest order means Bukhari will have to appear before the Sessions Court at the upcoming hearing as proceedings in the case continue.

  • 3,182 kanals of ETPB land still occupied despite invalid transfers

    Islamabad: More than 3,182 kanals of federally owned Evacuee Trust Property Board land in Attock still has not been restored in government ownership records even after the transfers were declared invalid. The Ministry of Religious Affairs told a parliamentary committee that local revenue authorities allegedly failed to cooperate despite repeated requests. The Senate Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony reviewed the disputed transfer of ETPB land to private occupants under a Punjab provincial law. The issue was raised through a question by Senator Syed Waqar Mehdi, who sought details about how federally owned trust property was transferred and what action had been taken to restore ownership. The committee was informed that 1,907 kanals of ETPB land in Mouza Neeka had allegedly been transferred to occupants. Another 1,275 kanals and 12 marlas of ETPB land in Mouza Ameer Khan, Tehsil Fateh Jang, District Attock, had also allegedly been transferred. Together, the disputed properties amount to more than 3,182 kanals of land. According to the Ministry of Religious Affairs briefing, the transfers were unauthorised. The ministry alleged that the occupants obtained ownership rights through the connivance of local revenue officials. The briefing did not identify the individual revenue officials allegedly responsible in the material provided to the committee. The committee was also told that the ETPB Chairman had already declared the transfers invalid under the Evacuee Trust Property Management and Disposal Act. That decision was later upheld by the Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony. However, the land has still not been restored in the revenue record under the name of ETPB or the Federal Government. According to the briefing, ETPB field offices in Hassanabdal and Attock repeatedly contacted the concerned revenue authorities in an effort to restore federal ownership. Despite those written requests, the ownership record had not been corrected. The ministry blamed the delay on alleged non cooperation by local revenue authorities. The ministry also clarified that there was no evidence of internal involvement. It told the committee that no ETPB official was found involved in the disputed transfers. According to the official briefing, the occupants succeeded in obtaining ownership rights through the alleged connivance of local revenue staff rather than ETPB employees. The case has raised questions about how federally owned religious trust property could be transferred through a provincial law and why the land has not been restored even after the transfers were officially declared invalid. The disputed property belongs to the Evacuee Trust Property Board, which manages properties connected with religious trusts and heritage assets. The committee took serious note of the continuing problem and discussed the need to protect federal ownership of ETPB properties. Members were also concerned about the failure to update the official revenue record despite earlier administrative decisions against the transfers. The case now centres on restoration of legal ownership in government records and accountability for officials, if any, found responsible for facilitating the disputed transfers. The committee directed the concerned authorities to continue pursuing the ETPB land matter and bring further clarification before it in subsequent proceedings. The controversy is likely to remain under parliamentary scrutiny until the land is restored to ETPB or the Federal Government and responsibility for the allegedly unauthorised transfers is clearly determined.

  • | |

    PDMA warns of heavy rain, landslide risk in KP

    PESHAWAR: The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) has issued a weather alert forecasting rain across several parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from July 24 to July 27, warning of possible landslides, strong winds and lightning. According to the PDMA, districts including Chitral, Upper and Lower Dir, Swat, Shangla, Battagram, Mansehra and Abbottabad are at risk of landslides due to the expected rainfall. Authorities have advised residents in mountainous areas to remain cautious and avoid unnecessary travel during the forecast period. The authority also warned that strong winds and lightning could damage standing crops and weak structures. Farmers have been urged to take precautionary measures to protect their crops, while residents have been advised to secure vulnerable buildings and outdoor installations. PDMA said electricity poles, signboards and solar panels may also be damaged by strong winds. Citizens have been urged to stay away from unstable structures and avoid taking shelter under trees or near electricity infrastructure during thunderstorms. The authority has directed all district administrations to implement precautionary measures in vulnerable areas before the expected weather system arrives. Emergency response teams have also been asked to remain on alert to deal with any weather-related incidents. In addition, district authorities have been instructed to maintain continuous monitoring of rivers, streams and seasonal waterways to ensure timely action in case of rising water levels or flash flooding. PDMA has advised the public to follow official weather updates, exercise caution during the rainy spell and immediately report any emergency situation to the relevant authorities.

  • | |

    Suspended ASI gets four-day police remand

    A Lahore court on Wednesday handed a four-day physical remand of a suspended assistant sub-inspector (ASI) to police for further investigation into the alleged rape of a mentally challenged young woman inside Ghaziabad Police Station. The suspect, identified as suspended ASI Imran, was presented before Judicial Magistrate Iram Yousaf by the investigating team. Police requested a 14-day physical remand, stating that further custody was necessary to collect evidence and complete the investigation into the alleged sexual assault. After hearing the arguments, the court approved a four-day physical remand instead of the two-week period sought by investigators. The suspect will remain in police custody while investigators continue gathering evidence and recording statements. The case has sparked widespread concern after authorities alleged that the incident occurred within the premises of a police station. Following the allegations, Lahore police suspended the entire staff of Ghaziabad Police Station, citing administrative failures, negligence and poor supervision. According to the first information report (FIR), the case was registered on August 3 under Section 376 of the Pakistan Penal Code, which deals with rape, along with Section 155C of the Police Order 2002 concerning misconduct by police officials. The complaint was filed by the victim’s father. Police officials said senior officers immediately took notice of the incident after the FIR was registered. The accused officer was arrested, while departmental action was initiated against police personnel responsible for supervising the station. In a separate disciplinary move, authorities suspended 78 police officials posted at the station, holding them accountable for negligence and failure to ensure proper oversight. According to the complainant, his mentally challenged daughter, believed to be around 19 or 20 years old, left home on the afternoon of August 3 and did not return for several hours. During the search, a local resident allegedly informed the family that a policeman in plain clothes had taken the young woman away. The victim’s father said he rushed to the police station, where he was told that his daughter had already gone home. When the family returned, they found her distressed and crying. He alleged that his daughter told them she had been taken to the police station by a police officer and sexually assaulted. Following her statement, the family approached authorities and sought legal action against the accused officer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *