punjab university employees
| |

Punjab University employees intensify protest over…

LAHORE: Thousands of teachers and employees of the University of the Punjab took to the streets on Wednesday in a major protest organized by the Joint Action Committee, demanding the resolution of their longstanding grievances and payment of outstanding dues.

The demonstration was attended by office-bearers of the Punjab University Academic Staff Association and the Punjab University Administrative & Technical Staff Association, along with a large number of faculty members and university employees.

Addressing the protesters, Joint Action Committee Chairman Prof. Dr. Sardar Asghar Iqbal accused the university administration of favouring a particular group, alleging that the practice had adversely affected the institution’s financial and administrative affairs. Other faculty members, including Prof. Dr. Abdul Rehman Khan Niazi, Prof. Dr. Muqeet Javed, Dr. Abrar Zafar and Prof. Dr. Kamran Mirza, also participated in the protest.

Joint Action Committee President and President of the Punjab University Administrative & Technical Staff Association Chaudhry Basharat Mahmood said employees had been protesting peacefully for around one and a half years, but the administration had failed to address their concerns. He said the employees were now compelled to intensify their protest.

According to the announced plan, university offices will observe a two-hour work suspension every day, with employees wearing black armbands as a sign of protest. A protest rally will also be organized every Wednesday.

Mahmood warned that the protesters could block the Campus Bridge if the administration failed to take their demands seriously. He also announced plans for demonstrations outside the Punjab chief minister’s office and on the GT Road near the university’s Gujranwala and Jhelum campuses.

The protesters called for the immediate resolution of teachers’ and employees’ issues and payment of all outstanding dues. They also demanded the removal of DG Rehan Sadiq Sheikh, alleging that his conduct toward employees and role in administrative matters had contributed to the university’s deteriorating financial and administrative situation.

The Joint Action Committee further called on the Punjab government to conduct a forensic audit of the university’s financial and administrative affairs to ensure transparency and accountability.

Tayyab Ijaz Khan Swati, Tanveer Awan, Hammad Butt, Azhar Iqbal Baloch and former association president Nasir Rehmat were among the other speakers who addressed the gathering.

The Joint Action Committee said its protest campaign would continue until the administration accepts and addresses the protesters’ demands.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Shah Rukh Khan joins AR Rahman’s tribute to Asha Bhosle

    Shah Rukh Khan is set to be part of AR Rahman’s upcoming tribute music video celebrating the extraordinary musical legacy of legendary singer Asha Bhosle. The announcement has created excitement among fans, as the project brings together some of the biggest names in Indian entertainment. AR Rahman confirmed Shah Rukh Khan’s involvement through a post on social media, expressing his gratitude to the Bollywood superstar for agreeing to join the special project. The composer described Khan’s participation as a meaningful addition to the tribute dedicated to Bhosle’s remarkable contribution to Indian music. The news comes several weeks after Rahman unveiled a teaser for the tribute on World Music Day in June. The project was conceived as a celebration of Bhosle’s decades-long career and her lasting influence on generations of singers, musicians and listeners. Rahman previously revealed that the tribute had been planned while Bhosle was still alive. The team had hoped that the legendary singer would be able to witness the finished project and experience the love and appreciation behind it. Her presence in the teaser has made the upcoming release particularly emotional for those involved. The teaser showed Bhosle inside a recording studio alongside Rahman and other artists. Rahman, who has also contributed his vocals to the song, could be seen helping guide the musical collaboration. The footage offered a glimpse of the project and highlighted the respect and admiration surrounding Bhosle’s artistic legacy. With Shah Rukh Khan now confirmed as part of the music video, the tribute has gained even greater attention. Khan and Rahman are both internationally recognized figures in Indian cinema, making their collaboration for a tribute to Bhosle especially significant. Bhosle died on April 12 at the age of 92 following multiple organ failure. Her passing marked the end of one of the most influential singing careers in Indian music. Over several decades, she recorded thousands of songs across numerous Indian languages and became known for her extraordinary versatility. Her repertoire included romantic songs, classical compositions, cabaret numbers and experimental music. Her ability to adapt to different musical styles helped establish her as one of the most distinctive voices in Indian playback singing. Bhosle’s final farewell was held with full state honours at Mumbai’s Shivaji Park Crematorium. Several prominent figures from the Indian film industry attended the funeral to pay their respects and honour her unforgettable contribution to music and cinema. The complete tribute song has yet to be released. The project is expected to feature Rahman, Bhosle and a group of other artists, with Shah Rukh Khan’s confirmed participation adding another major attraction. Fans will now be eagerly waiting for the full release, which promises to serve as a heartfelt celebration of Asha Bhosle’s enduring musical legacy.

  • | |

    PPP alleges polling irregularities during second p…

    ISLAMABAD: The second phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections faced fresh controversy on Sunday after the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) alleged delays, administrative shortcomings and electoral irregularities in several constituencies. Meanwhile, the AJK Election Commission postponed polling in one constituency due to severe weather conditions. Polling continued in 21 constituencies, including nine seats in Muzaffarabad Division and 12 refugee constituencies across Pakistan. More than 1.2 million registered voters were eligible to cast their ballots under strict security arrangements. PPP AJK Election Cell In-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor claimed that polling was delayed in several constituencies because polling staff failed to reach polling stations before voting began. He said dozens of polling stations remained without election officials at the scheduled opening time, causing inconvenience to voters and delaying the electoral process. According to the PPP, similar problems were reported in multiple constituencies where polling staff arrived late, preventing voters from exercising their right to vote on time. The party urged the Election Commission and local administration to ensure immediate deployment of staff and restore normal polling. Separately, the AJK Election Commission announced that polling in LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I had been postponed after heavy rainfall and landslides blocked key roads, making it impossible for polling teams and election material to reach several polling stations. Election authorities said efforts were made to reopen the affected routes, but worsening weather conditions prevented polling from taking place. The Commission said a new polling date would be announced later and apologised to voters for the inconvenience. The PPP questioned the decision to postpone polling across the entire constituency. Party leaders argued that if only certain polling stations were affected by landslides, polling should have continued in the remaining accessible areas. They called on the Election Commission to release a detailed report explaining the reasons behind the postponement. The party also alleged delays in additional constituencies, claiming that polling staff had not reached several stations even hours after voting officially began. It maintained that the delays affected voter participation and raised concerns over the smooth conduct of the election. PPP leaders further alleged that blocked roads prevented hundreds of voters from reaching polling stations. The party demanded the immediate reopening of affected routes and called for measures to ensure that voters could cast their ballots without obstruction. In another complaint, the PPP claimed that some of its polling agents were prevented from performing their duties at polling stations despite fulfilling legal requirements. The party urged election authorities to intervene and ensure equal treatment of all contesting candidates and their representatives. The PPP also accused rival political workers of violating election rules in certain constituencies and alleged that government employees were participating in election activities in violation of the code of conduct. The party demanded an immediate investigation and legal action wherever irregularities were confirmed. Separately, PPP leader Nadeem Afzal Chan criticised the conduct of the elections, describing reported delays in ballot paper distribution and administrative issues as unacceptable. He said the party wanted the electoral process to remain transparent and credible and warned that unresolved issues could undermine public confidence.

  • | |

    Eman Fatima gets emotional discussing divorce controversy

    Content creator Eman Fatima has emotionally opened up regarding her ongoing divorce controversy with her estranged husband, prominent Pakistani YouTuber and vlogger Rajab Butt, sharing the intense emotional toll, public scrutiny, and personal heartbreaks that have accompanied their high-profile split. ​The public breakdown of their marriage captured widespread attention after legal divorce notices were issued, transforming a once-private marital dispute into a heavily debated online saga. Addressing her followers in an emotional video statement, Eman broke down while expressing her pain over how the fallout has affected both her and their infant son, Kivan. ​Responding to criticism accusing her of leveraging public sympathy and playing the “woman’s card” to sway opinion, Eman firmly rejected the claims, emphasizing that her primary motivation in speaking out has been to defend her character and safeguard her child’s future. She shared the immense difficulty of navigating pregnancy, health struggles, and legal complications largely in isolation, expressing deep regret over how private vulnerabilities were broadcast to digital audiences for content and engagement. ​”No woman marries expecting it to end in public humiliation or divorce, especially when a child is involved. To be accused of playing cards or seeking clout while simply trying to protect my dignity and my son is heartbreaking. I stayed silent through so much, but when false narratives threaten your integrity, you have no choice but to speak up. All I wanted was respect and a stable home for my child.” ​Eman also reflected on the breakdown of trust within the relationship, addressing allegations of infidelity and persistent domestic friction with in-laws that plagued their brief time together. She lamented that despite making compromises and forgiving past mistakes, the lack of private resolution and mutual respect ultimately made sustaining the marriage impossible. ​The emotional statement has reignited intense debate across social media, drawing widespread sympathy from fans and digital creators who condemned the trend of turning personal family tragedies into public online fodder. Many users voiced support for Eman, urging both parties to handle their remaining legal matters privately for the well-being of their young son. ​As the couple moves toward formal legal closure, Eman’s candid response highlights the dark side of influencer culture, where private grief and familial breakdown are increasingly exposed to the unforgiving spotlight of public judgment.

  • | | | |

    NAB clarifies Rs500 million jurisdiction threshold

    ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has internally clarified that inflation-based adjustments to the value of liabilities cannot be used retrospectively to bring older, lower-value corruption cases under its jurisdiction. The clarification follows the enforcement of the National Accountability (Amendment) Act 2026 on March 5. NAB has issued internal guidance for prosecutors and investigators to ensure a uniform legal position on the revised Rs500 million threshold. Under the amended law, an offence falls within NAB’s jurisdiction when it involves corruption or misconduct involving at least Rs500 million. The law also links the financial threshold to annual inflation indicators issued by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, with the adjustment taking effect from July 1, 2026. However, NAB’s internal interpretation distinguishes between the statutory jurisdictional threshold and the inflation-adjusted value of liabilities. The Rs500 million figure remains the basic test for determining jurisdiction. Inflation adjustment is applied only after the actual liability involved in a case has been finally determined. The guidance identifies three situations based on when the alleged offence occurred. For offences committed before July 2022, the original amount involved will be assessed according to the year in which the offence took place. No inflation adjustment will be applied retrospectively. If the final liability is Rs500 million or more, NAB will retain jurisdiction. If it is below Rs500 million, the case will fall outside NAB’s jurisdiction and may be transferred to the ordinary courts. For offences committed after July 2022, the Rs500 million threshold will initially determine NAB’s jurisdiction. Once an inquiry or investigation establishes the final amount involved, the relevant inflation index for the year in which the case reaches its final stage will be applied if the original liability is at least Rs500 million. The final reference will therefore contain both the original liability and its inflation-adjusted value. If the original liability is below Rs500 million, no inflation adjustment will be made and NAB’s jurisdiction will cease. The third category concerns continuing offences that began before July 2022 but continued after that date. Such cases will be treated in the same manner as offences committed after July 2022. The guidance further states that once the original liability has been finally established and the inflation-adjusted amount has been calculated, the resulting figure will be considered final. It will not be repeatedly revised on the basis of inflation increases in subsequent years. According to the internal legal position, linking the financial threshold to inflation was intended to keep the threshold realistic and relevant over time and prevent inflation from reducing its practical value. NAB has also clarified that the amendment was not intended to retrospectively expand the bureau’s jurisdiction or disadvantage accused persons. The 2026 amendments made another significant change by expanding provisions concerning the transfer of cases falling outside NAB’s jurisdiction. The relevant provision now extends to pending appeals as well, whereas the earlier framework was primarily limited to inquiries, investigations and trials.

  • |

    Lahore Mass Transit Authority phases out tokens and legacy transit cards for digital payments

    The Lahore Mass Transit Authority (LMTA) has officially discontinued tokens and legacy transit cards across its public transport network, including the Orange Line Train, Speedo buses, and Metro Bus services. Under the new system, commuters must switch to digital payment methods, which include the official T-Cash Card, the LMTA mobile application, or standard bank ATM cards. LMTA In-charge Uzair Shah confirmed that existing balances on old cards will not be refunded, though passengers can return their physical cards to designated transit stations to claim their security deposit. The sudden shift has drawn criticism from local commuters, who reported being instructed to recharge the legacy cards shortly before the change and cited a lack of advance public notice.

  • |

    US, Saudi Arabia sign major civil nuclear cooperation agreement

    The United States and Saudi Arabia have signed a major civil nuclear cooperation agreement, opening a new chapter in their strategic partnership and expanding cooperation in the peaceful use of nuclear energy. The agreement was signed by US Energy Secretary Chris Wright and Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman. Along with the civil nuclear cooperation pact, both countries also signed a bilateral safeguards agreement to ensure that nuclear technology is used only for peaceful and civilian purposes. The agreement establishes the legal framework for long-term cooperation in the civil nuclear sector. It is expected to support multi-billion-dollar investments, strengthen commercial ties, and create opportunities for collaboration on future nuclear energy projects. US officials said the partnership will allow American companies to participate in Saudi Arabia’s growing civil nuclear programme. The agreement is also expected to increase exports of US nuclear technology, equipment, and services while creating new employment opportunities and strengthening industrial supply chains in the United States. The two governments said the agreement reflects their shared commitment to expanding economic cooperation while maintaining the highest international standards for nuclear safety, security, and non-proliferation. Officials stressed that the partnership is designed to ensure that nuclear technology is used exclusively for peaceful purposes and remains under strict international safeguards. US Energy Secretary Chris Wright described the agreement as an important step toward strengthening relations between Washington and Riyadh. He said the partnership would promote economic growth, improve energy cooperation, and enhance security for both countries and their regional allies. He added that the agreement relies on advanced American nuclear technology and scientific expertise while fully complying with international nuclear safety and non-proliferation requirements. Officials also believe the agreement will strengthen the United States’ position in the global civil nuclear industry by expanding overseas markets for American technology and reinforcing its leadership in peaceful nuclear development. For Saudi Arabia, the agreement supports the country’s long-term energy strategy, which aims to diversify energy sources and reduce dependence on oil by developing a civilian nuclear power programme alongside renewable energy projects. The agreement will now be submitted to the US Congress for review before it can enter into force. Following congressional approval, both countries are expected to begin implementing the framework and advance cooperation on future civil nuclear projects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *