announces nationwide sitins
| |

JI announces nationwide sit-ins over rising fuel p…

Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Emir Hafiz Naeemur Rehman has announced sit-ins outside the chief minister’s residence in Lahore and governors’ houses across the country from August 16, protesting rising petroleum prices and the growing cost of living.

Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, Rehman said the Lahore demonstration would begin at 3pm from Masjid-e-Shuhada and move towards the Chief Minister’s House. He said the protests would continue until the government addressed the party’s demands, including immediate reductions in fuel, electricity and essential commodity prices.

Rehman accused the government of collecting Rs1,567 billion through petroleum levies, claiming the amount had exceeded the target set under the International Monetary Fund programme. He said JI would not remain silent while ordinary citizens faced increasing economic pressure.

The JI chief warned that any attempt to obstruct the demonstrations could escalate the campaign into a broader movement demanding the government’s removal. He maintained that the party’s previous sit-ins had been peaceful and caused no damage to public or private property.

JI has also launched a social media campaign against the petroleum levy, urging citizens to raise their voices against what is described as an unfair financial burden on the public.

Similar Posts

  • K-IV project delay, NA committee summons Sindh officials

    Islamabad: The future of Karachi’s major water supply project K IV came under discussion in the National Assembly Standing Committee on Water Resources as lawmakers questioned the scheme’s progress and summoned senior Sindh government officials for a detailed briefing. The committee was informed that the portion of the K IV Project under the responsibility of the Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) is expected to be completed by 2027. The WAPDA Chairman told the committee that the funds required for this part of the project have already been secured, removing a major financial hurdle. However, questions remain over the overall progress of the project, as the committee decided to summon key Sindh officials in its next meeting to seek a clear update on the remaining work and coordination between different departments. The National Assembly Standing Committee on Water Resources, chaired by Mr. Ahmad Atteeq Anwer, MNA, directed that the Chief Secretary Government of Sindh, Secretary Irrigation Department Sindh, CEO Karachi Water and Sewerage Corporation and Project Director K IV must attend the next meeting to explain the current status of the project. The K IV project is considered an important scheme for improving water availability for Karachi, a city that has faced long standing challenges related to water supply. The committee stressed the need for better coordination among federal and provincial institutions to ensure timely completion. During the meeting, the committee also reviewed the WAPDA Security Force Bill, 2026. After detailed discussions, members directed that a comprehensive comparison study of the proposed legislation should be provided before the next meeting so that lawmakers can examine its provisions in detail. The committee members emphasised that major water projects require continuous monitoring and effective implementation to ensure public benefit. The committee will continue reviewing progress and seek updates from concerned departments in future meetings.

  • | |

    Mufti Jana Mir killed in targeted blast in Wana

    Mufti Jana Mir was killed in a targeted explosion near Rustam Bazaar in Wana, the main town of Lower South Waziristan, on Monday, according to police officials. The blast occurred close to Rustam Bazaar, where unidentified attackers had allegedly planted explosive material on the ground floor of a building. The device exploded as Mufti Jan Mir passed through the area, killing him on the spot. Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) said the attack appeared to be a planned assassination. He confirmed that investigators believe the explosives had been installed in advance to specifically target Mufti Jana Mir. Police and security personnel rushed to the scene immediately after the explosion. The area was cordoned off, while bomb disposal and forensic teams collected evidence from the blast site. Officials said all available evidence has been secured and a detailed investigation is underway to identify those responsible and determine the circumstances surrounding the attack. Authorities have not yet claimed responsibility for the bombing, and no arrests have been announced. Security has been increased in and around Wana as investigators continue their inquiry. Mufti Jana Mir was widely respected for his efforts to promote peace and social harmony in South Waziristan. He regularly participated in peace initiatives and remained actively involved in campaigns aimed at improving law and order in the region. He was also a regular speaker at the National Peace Jirga, where he called for unity, dialogue and lasting peace. Community members regarded him as an influential religious figure who consistently encouraged peaceful coexistence and opposed violence.

  • | | | |

    RLNG prices jump up to 34.6% amid supply disruptio…

    ISLAMABAD: The Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) has increased the prices of re-gasified liquefied natural gas (RLNG) by up to 34.6% for July 2026, as continued disruptions in LNG supplies from Qatar forced Pakistan to rely on expensive spot market imports. According to an official notification, consumers of Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) will face the largest increase. The RLNG price for SSGC consumers has been fixed at $25.087 per MMBtu, following an increase of $6.4512 per MMBtu, representing a 34.6% rise. Consumers of Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) will also pay higher rates. The regulator fixed the RLNG price at $25.8388 per MMBtu, an increase of $6.316 per MMBtu, or 32.35%, compared with the previous month. Officials said the latest increase was mainly driven by a sharp decline in LNG imports during July. Pakistan received only five LNG cargoes throughout the month, making it the third-lowest monthly import volume since the country started importing LNG. The reduced supply forced the country to purchase all available LNG cargoes from the international spot market, where prices are generally much higher and more volatile than long-term contractual rates. Energy officials said state-owned Pakistan LNG Limited arranged all five cargoes from the spot market. Meanwhile, Pakistan did not receive any LNG shipments under its long-term agreements with Qatar during the month. The interruption in Qatari supplies has continued since damage to energy infrastructure earlier this year, affecting LNG exports to several countries in Asia and Europe, including Pakistan. Experts said the absence of lower-cost LNG from long-term contracts has significantly increased Pakistan’s import bill and placed additional pressure on the country’s energy sector. Since the regional conflict in the Middle East began earlier this year, RLNG prices in Pakistan have risen by more than 144%, making energy substantially more expensive for industries, businesses and other consumers.

  • |

    Infantino faces fresh challenge from three football confederations

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino is facing renewed criticism after three major football confederations jointly challenged his leadership and decision-making. UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) issued a strongly worded letter on Monday. They stressed that football is a collective institution and should not be controlled by any single individual. The latest criticism follows Infantino’s controversial proposal to allow private investment in FIFA competitions, including the World Cup. The plan was withdrawn only days after it was announced following strong opposition from several football bodies. The three confederations had previously criticised the proposal. Their latest statement indicates that tensions with FIFA’s leadership have not eased despite the withdrawal of the plan. The organisations argued that leadership in football should be based on responsibility, transparency and collective decision-making. They accused FIFA’s leadership of failing to meet those standards. The dispute could become particularly significant ahead of next year’s FIFA presidential election. Infantino is expected to seek a fourth and final term in office. The election is scheduled to take place in Rabat next March, while candidates must declare their intentions by November 18. CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani is considered a potential challenger to Infantino. Infantino had previously appeared likely to face little opposition after FIFA oversaw a successful 2026 World Cup in the United States, Mexico and Canada. However, the private investment controversy has changed the political landscape within world football. UEFA played a major role in forcing the proposal off the table. European football officials had warned that they could consider boycotting World Cups if the investment plan went ahead. Such a move could have seriously affected the tournament because it could have involved major football nations, including Spain, France and England. The three confederations said FIFA’s own explanation of the controversy had focused too heavily on communication problems. They argued that the issue was more serious and reflected what they described as a failure of judgment. They also questioned an emergency meeting in Morocco where senior FIFA officials expressed support for Infantino. According to the confederations, the meeting did not adequately address their concerns because only selected members of FIFA’s management leadership were involved. They argued that FIFA’s leadership should engage directly with its wider institutional structure and staff. Infantino still retains support in several parts of the football world. The Confederation of African Football has backed him, while South American football’s governing body CONMEBOL remains broadly supportive. Support for him also exists within CONCACAF and the AFC, although the confederations do not vote as unified blocs in the FIFA presidential election. The dispute comes after Infantino spent a decade at the helm of FIFA and oversaw major changes to the World Cup and the organisation’s distribution of financial resources. The three confederations acknowledged that football had experienced significant growth during the past decade. However, they stressed that these developments were achieved through cooperation between FIFA, continental confederations, national associations and thousands of people involved in the sport.

  • Senate seeks PM intervention over Khairpur Dates Research Centre

    Islamabad: A major agriculture research project aimed at improving Pakistan’s date production has faced a setback after the proposed Dates Research Centre in Khairpur was excluded from the Public Sector Development Programme 2026 and 2027, prompting the National Assembly Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research to demand immediate reconsideration of the decision. The committee expressed concern that a project designed to improve date farming, develop disease-resistant varieties, increase exports and support farmers was left out due to financial limitations. The matter was discussed during the 29th meeting of the National Assembly Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research, chaired by Syed Hussain Tariq, MNA, at Parliament House Islamabad. Officials informed the committee that the joint project of the Pakistan Agricultural Research Council and Shah Abdul Latif University Khairpur for establishing the Dates Research Centre could not be included in the PSDP 2026 and 2027 because of limited financial resources. The Ministry of Planning, Development and Special Initiatives informed the committee that the Ministry of National Food Security and Research had prioritized only three new development schemes for inclusion in the national development programme, leaving several important projects outside the plan. The committee strongly disagreed with the decision and highlighted the importance of the dates sector for Pakistan’s agriculture and economy. Members noted that Pakistan is among the leading date producers, and a dedicated research centre could help farmers increase production, fight crop diseases, improve quality, develop new varieties and boost the country’s share in international markets. The committee directed the Ministry of National Food Security and Research to formally approach the Ministry of Planning and request a review of the decision. The committee also decided to seek a meeting with the Prime Minister to discuss establishing the Dates Research Centre through cooperation between the Pakistan Agricultural Research Council and Shah Abdul Latif University Khairpur. During the proposed meeting with the Prime Minister, the committee also plans to discuss other major agriculture challenges including wheat imports, setting a fair minimum support price for wheat, providing DAP fertilizer subsidies similar to regional countries and investigating reasons behind wheat shortages despite earlier reports of surplus stocks. The committee said agricultural development requires long term planning and research facilities to support farmers and improve food security. The meeting also reviewed concerns regarding artificial sweeteners and flavored drinks, especially their possible health effects on children, pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers. Officials informed the committee that earlier recommendations were made after findings from the National Institutes of Health highlighted possible health risks linked with excessive consumption of such products. The committee was informed that frequent consumption of artificial sweeteners and flavoured drinks may contribute to health problems, including an increased risk of diabetes and other serious diseases. The committee expressed dissatisfaction over delays in implementing earlier recommendations and directed the Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority to urgently review existing regulations. PSQCA was directed to hold a meeting in Islamabad involving committee members, health officials, NIH representatives, mango growers and other stakeholders. The committee instructed that revised standards should include clear product labels, prevention of misleading claims, visible health warnings, proper expiry date information, suitable fruit pulp requirements and regulations for plastic bottle usage. The National Institutes of Health was also directed to provide scientific evidence regarding health impacts and international guidelines to help improve the regulatory framework.

  • |

    Sadia Imam’s eyebrow lift look sparks debate on social media

    Pakistani actress and television host Sadia Imam has become the center of discussion on social media after her latest appearance drew widespread attention for her noticeably lifted eyebrows. Photos and clips from the appearance quickly circulated online, with many users sharing mixed reactions to her changed look. Sadia Imam is regarded as one of Pakistan’s well-known television personalities, having earned recognition through her performances in several popular drama serials over the years. She rose to prominence with her work in classic PTV productions and later appeared in numerous successful projects, establishing herself as a familiar face in the country’s entertainment industry. Alongside acting, she has also built a successful career as a television host. The recent discussion began after Sadia Imam appeared via video link during a television program earlier this week. While viewers tuned in to hear her thoughts during the show, much of the online conversation shifted toward her facial appearance, particularly her prominently arched eyebrows. Shortly after the broadcast, screenshots and video clips from the program spread across social media platforms, prompting users to comment on what they described as an unusually lifted eyebrow look. Many questioned whether the appearance was the result of a beauty filter used during the video call, while others speculated that it could be linked to cosmetic procedures such as Botox or an eyebrow lift. Several social media users claimed that the change in her facial expressions made her look noticeably different from her previous television appearances. Some described the look as overly dramatic, while others suggested that cosmetic enhancements should remain subtle to preserve natural facial features. However, not all reactions were critical. A number of users urged others to avoid judging celebrities based solely on their appearance, arguing that every individual has the right to make personal choices regarding beauty treatments or cosmetic procedures. Others pointed out that lighting, camera angles, makeup, or video filters can significantly alter a person’s appearance on screen, making it unfair to draw conclusions from short video clips. The discussion once again highlighted how public figures often face intense scrutiny over their appearance, with even minor changes becoming a topic of widespread debate across digital platforms. In recent years, several celebrities from Pakistan and abroad have encountered similar reactions after appearing with different makeup styles, cosmetic enhancements, or aesthetic procedures. As the clips continue to circulate online, Sadia Imam has not publicly addressed the comments or responded to the speculation surrounding her appearance. Meanwhile, the conversation continues across social media, with opinions remaining divided between those criticizing the look and those calling for greater respect for personal choices and privacy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *