sherry rehman flags
| | |

Sherry Rehman flags polling delays, security lapse…

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Senator Sherry Rehman has voiced concern over delays in polling at several constituencies in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), saying the disruption has caused significant hardship for voters and raised serious questions about election management.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Rehman said delayed arrival of election staff had affected the voting process at a number of polling stations, preventing many voters from casting their ballots on time.

She identified constituencies LA-28, LA-31, LA-25 and LA-34 among the areas where polling was reportedly delayed, calling on the Election Commission to immediately investigate the matter and ensure that the electoral process proceeds without further disruption.

The PPP leader also expressed concern over security arrangements at a women’s polling station in Shark Kamal Bandi in LA-31, claiming that only one police officer had been deployed despite the polling station having previously been declared sensitive.

According to Rehman, inadequate security at such locations could undermine voter confidence and create unnecessary challenges for women participating in the electoral process.

She further highlighted transportation problems affecting voters in the region. Rehman said the road connecting Rangla to Katkair had remained blocked since Saturday night, leaving more than 50 vehicles carrying voters stranded and preventing many people from reaching their designated polling stations.

The senator said these issues had been formally reported to the Election Commission, urging the electoral body to conduct an immediate inquiry into the reported irregularities and take prompt corrective measures wherever necessary.

“Every voter must be given the opportunity to exercise their democratic right without obstacles,” she said, emphasizing that transparent, impartial and well-managed elections are essential for strengthening democratic institutions.

Rehman maintained that any compromise on the sanctity of the vote would be unacceptable and stressed the need for election authorities to ensure equal access to polling facilities for all eligible voters.

Her remarks come amid ongoing polling across Azad Jammu and Kashmir, where election authorities have been working to address logistical and weather-related challenges in some areas. The Election Commission has yet to issue a detailed response to the specific concerns raised by the PPP senator, while voting continues in constituencies where polling arrangements remain unaffected.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Australian court denies India exclusive claim over…

    The Federal Court of Australia has thrown out an appeal by India’s Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority seeking to register Basmati as a certification trademark for rice in the country, a ruling Pakistan’s Ministry of Commerce welcomed in a statement issued Wednesday. The Indian authority, known as APEDA, had originally applied to register Basmati as a certification trademark for rice sold in Australia. A delegate of the Australian Registrar of Trade Marks rejected that application on December 22, 2022, finding that the word Basmati could not distinguish rice certified by APEDA from Basmati rice legitimately grown and sold by other producers. APEDA then appealed the decision to the Federal Court of Australia, which has now upheld the original rejection. Pakistan’s commerce ministry said the ruling confirms its longstanding position that Basmati functions as a geographical indication tied to a historically recognized growing region spanning parts of both Pakistan and India, rather than a term any single country can claim exclusively. The ministry noted that the original registrar’s decision had already acknowledged that Basmati rice is grown in Pakistan as well, and that Pakistani traders hold an equally legitimate claim to use the name. By dismissing APEDA’s appeal, the ministry said, the Federal Court affirmed those earlier findings. The ministry added that the Australian court also ordered APEDA to cover the respondent’s legal costs, either through agreement or a formal assessment. Islamabad described the ruling as a significant setback to Indian efforts to secure exclusive international rights over the Basmati name. The ministry said no single national authority can claim sole ownership of the term while excluding producers and exporters who have an equally valid right to use it, adding that Pakistan has consistently pushed back against Indian attempts to monopolize the Basmati name and has worked with relevant institutions and industry stakeholders to protect the interests of the country’s growers, millers and exporters. According to the ministry, the outcome safeguards the commercial and intellectual property interests of Pakistan’s Basmati sector and preserves the right of Pakistani producers to market authentic Basmati rice in the Australian market. Officials said they intend to keep protecting Basmati as a core part of Pakistan’s agricultural heritage and export identity, pursuing similar protections in other foreign jurisdictions on the basis of the rice variety’s historical origin, established reputation and distinctive qualities. Commerce Minister Jam Kamal Khan praised ministry officials and other stakeholders involved in the case, calling the ruling an important win for Pakistan’s agricultural heritage, commercial interests and export identity. India and Pakistan have long disputed the origins of Basmati rice, which both countries grow extensively. The rice traces its roots to the Punjab region, which was split into East Punjab, now part of India, and West Punjab, now part of Pakistan, following partition in 1947. In 2006, the European Union formally recognized Basmati as a joint product of both countries under its special geographical indication rules.

  • | |

    Dylan Sprouse finally reveals how he met wife Barb…

    Dylan Sprouse has opened up about the story behind his first meeting with his wife, model Barbara Palvin, revealing how their relationship began years before they eventually got married. The 34-year-old actor discussed his relationship with Palvin during the Tuesday, August 4 episode of Amanda Hirsch’s Not Skinny But Not Fat podcast. Sprouse looked back on their first encounter in 2017 and shared details about how the pair initially crossed paths. Sprouse and Palvin have now been married for three years, but their romance did not begin with an immediate relationship. Instead, their first meeting happened through a professional connection that eventually developed into something much more personal. How Dylan and Barbara first met During the podcast appearance, Sprouse explained that he first met Palvin after being introduced to her through mutual connections. At the time, the two were beginning to get to know each other, although neither could have known that the meeting would eventually lead to marriage. Sprouse recalled being interested in Palvin from the beginning, but their relationship developed gradually. The actor has previously described their early connection as something that grew naturally rather than happening overnight. Palvin, meanwhile, has also spoken about their early relationship and the way they stayed connected after meeting. Their romance eventually became public in 2018, when the pair began appearing together at events and sharing glimpses of their relationship with fans. From dating to marriage After several years together, Sprouse and Palvin took their relationship to the next level. The couple became engaged in 2023 and married later that year in an intimate ceremony in Hungary. The wedding was especially meaningful for Palvin because it took place in her home country. The couple celebrated with family and close friends, keeping many details of the ceremony private. Since getting married, Sprouse and Palvin have continued to support each other’s careers while maintaining a relatively low-key personal life. Although both have major careers in entertainment and fashion, they often choose to keep their relationship away from the constant attention of Hollywood. Looking back at their beginning For Sprouse, revisiting their first meeting offers a glimpse into how an unexpected introduction can eventually become a lasting relationship. What began with a meeting in 2017 ultimately grew into a romance, an engagement and a marriage. Now, nearly a decade after they first crossed paths, Sprouse and Palvin have built a life together while continuing to pursue their individual careers. The actor’s recent comments also give fans a rare look at the early days of a relationship that has remained one of Hollywood’s more enduring celebrity romances.

  • |

    North Carolina man wins $1 million lottery after trusting his lucky number 7

    A North Carolina man has struck it rich after relying on what he has always believed to be his lucky number, winning a $1 million prize from a scratch-off lottery ticket. According to international media reports, Thomas Moonves, a resident of Biscoe in North Carolina, purchased a $10 Triple Red 777 Jackpot scratch-off ticket from a local convenience store. He said he chose the ticket because the number 7 has always held special meaning in his life. Moonves explained that his connection with the number dates back to his birth, as he was born on the 7th day of the month in 1977. Believing the number had consistently brought him good fortune, he decided to try his luck with a ticket featuring multiple sevens. Soon after buying the ticket, Moonves scratched it on the spot and was stunned to discover he had won the game’s top prize of $1 million. Recalling the unforgettable moment, he said he was overwhelmed with excitement and could hardly believe what he was seeing. The unexpected win turned an ordinary trip to the store into a life-changing experience.

  • | | |

    Mrunal Thakur breaks silence on dating rumors with…

    Indian actress Mrunal Thakur has reacted to dating rumors linking her with cricketer Yashasvi Jaiswal, calling the speculation baseless after a video of the two leaving the same café in Mumbai went viral on social media. The rumors involving Mrunal Thakur and Jaiswal gained attention after the pair were reportedly seen leaving a café in Mumbai’s Bandra West area. A video showing the two in the same location quickly circulated online, prompting social media users to speculate about a possible relationship. Mrunal, however, appeared to reject the claims through a comment on the social media account that shared the video. She questioned how people could treat such speculation as fact simply because the two had been seen at the same place. The actress also appeared frustrated by the attention surrounding the rumor and suggested that there were more important issues deserving public attention. She encouraged content creators to focus on more meaningful topics rather than relationship speculation. Although the original comment is reportedly no longer visible under the video, a screenshot of Mrunal’s alleged response has continued circulating on social media. The Mrunal Thakur Yashasvi Jaiswal dating rumors are not the first time the actress has been linked romantically with another celebrity. In 2025, speculation also connected Mrunal with South Indian actor Dhanush after the two were seen interacting warmly at the premiere of Son of Sardaar 2. Following their interaction, social media users speculated that Dhanush had attended the screening specifically to support Mrunal. Later reports even claimed that the two could marry in 2026. However, neither actor publicly confirmed those reports, while sources close to Mrunal reportedly dismissed claims that she was preparing to marry. Mrunal began her entertainment career on television before moving into films. She appeared in television projects including Mujhse Kuchh Kehti…Yeh Khamoshiyaan and Kumkum Bhagya, before making her Bollywood film debut with Love Sonia in 2018. She has since established herself in both Hindi and Telugu cinema and has appeared in several high-profile projects. Mrunal was most recently seen in Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai, alongside Varun Dhawan and Pooja Hegde. Her upcoming projects reportedly include Pooja Meri Jaan and the Telugu film Raka. For now, the actress’s response makes clear that the latest romance claims involving Jaiswal remain unconfirmed speculation, rather than an established relationship.

  • |

    Deadly 7.4 quake rocks Colombia, 111 killed

    BOGOTA: A powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake has killed at least 111 people and injured 87 others in western Colombia, leaving communities grappling with widespread destruction and fears that more victims remain trapped beneath collapsed buildings. The earthquake struck on Monday, with its epicentre near San José del Palmar in the Chocó region. The powerful tremor was felt across a wide area and caused buildings to collapse in several locations. Emergency crews have been working through piles of concrete, bricks and debris as they search for survivors. Authorities warned that the death toll could rise as rescue teams reach areas where communication and access remain difficult. The disaster has caused severe damage in cities including Pereira, Cali and Manizales, while infrastructure and public services have also been affected. Rescue workers have been using heavy machinery alongside manual searches to reach people believed to be trapped under the rubble. Colombian authorities have mobilised emergency resources and launched a large-scale response operation. The government has also declared a national disaster as officials assess the full extent of the destruction. The earthquake has left families anxiously waiting for news of relatives who remain missing, while hospitals and emergency services continue treating the injured. As rescue operations continue, authorities are urging residents to remain alert for possible aftershocks and avoid entering damaged structures. With 111 lives already lost, the focus remains firmly on finding survivors and bringing urgent assistance to communities devastated by the powerful quake.

  • | |

    Iran pressures Gulf allies to rein in Trump, threa…

    Iran has launched an intensive diplomatic campaign targeting Gulf states, warning them directly that Tehran will strike their oil, power and water facilities unless they persuade President Donald Trump to halt US military action and pursue a negotiated end to the war instead. According to a senior Iranian official, the warning covers potential attacks on energy facilities, oil fields, refineries, electricity grids, water systems, transport networks and other strategic infrastructure belonging to Washington’s closest Arab partners in the region. The message formed part of a wider Iranian strategy to discourage further American military action by raising the specter of significant economic damage across the Gulf. Sources familiar with the matter said the warning traveled through a wave of high level diplomatic contacts following Trump’s July 28 threat to strike Iran’s energy network and broader infrastructure. Two senior Iranian officials, two Gulf sources and a senior regional diplomat, all speaking on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the discussions, said Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi held conversations with his Saudi, Turkish and Qatari counterparts as well as Pakistan’s army chief. The senior diplomat said Araqchi pressed Washington’s Gulf allies to use their influence with Trump to head off renewed strikes, cautioning that any attack on Iran would trigger retaliation against American assets and critical infrastructure throughout the Gulf. The diplomat said Araqchi delivered a consistent message in each conversation, expressing readiness to retaliate while stressing that a diplomatic solution offers the best chance of avoiding wider regional destruction. One Gulf source described the Iranian position as unambiguous, saying Tehran made clear that any American strike on Iranian infrastructure would draw retaliation against Gulf energy facilities and other regional targets. The campaign illustrates how Iran is attempting to convert Gulf vulnerability into diplomatic leverage, presenting regional governments with the prospect that a renewed confrontation between Washington and Tehran could put the infrastructure their economies depend on directly at risk. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman subsequently spoke with Trump directly, urging him to hold off on military action, return to the negotiating table, pursue a ceasefire and seek a diplomatic resolution, according to the senior diplomat and Gulf sources. Another Gulf source said the warning was meant for every Gulf state but traveled primarily through Saudi Arabia and Qatar, both of which have rebuilt ties with Iran in recent years after a long period of regional rivalry. Qatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia have each urged Washington to resume talks with Tehran and prevent a fresh round of conflict, with Iran cautioning that further strikes could turn the region into what one Iranian official called a fireball. On August 2, Trump said he had agreed to call off a planned attack on Iran, provided a deal could be reached quickly. Concerns over wider escalation A Gulf source said Saudi Arabia believes additional escalation would only cause further destruction, explaining why Riyadh pushed Trump to give diplomacy more room to work. At the same time, Saudi officials made clear the kingdom would defend itself if directly threatened, with a second Gulf source saying Riyadh warned that any strike on Saudi territory would draw a military response of its own. Ali Shihabi, a Saudi analyst with ties to the royal court, said the kingdom’s assessment holds that further escalation is unlikely to produce the outcome Washington wants. He said Saudi officials believe a mix of proportionate military responses combined with sustained pressure on Iran around the Strait of Hormuz offers the most realistic route toward a workable diplomatic settlement. Iran’s clerical leadership has repeatedly called for the closure of US military bases across the Gulf and urged Gulf Arab states to stop sharing intelligence with Washington, which Tehran believes has enabled strikes against Iranian targets. Shihabi noted that memories of the September 2019 drone and missile strikes on Saudi Arabia’s Abqaiq and Khurais oil facilities still shape regional thinking, since that attack temporarily cut more than half the kingdom’s crude output and exposed how vulnerable Gulf energy infrastructure remains. A separate Iranian official reiterated that any damage inflicted on Iran would be met with far greater retaliation, again citing power grids and refineries among potential targets. From Tehran’s perspective, the senior Iranian official said, Trump now confronts two difficult options: escalate a conflict that risks engulfing the wider Gulf and disrupting global energy markets, or accept a negotiated settlement that falls short of the decisive win Washington has sought. The senior regional diplomat identified Washington’s reluctance to let Tehran claim any form of victory as one of the central obstacles blocking an agreement, noting that American officials want tangible proof they prevailed in the conflict.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *