110 stranded pakistani
| |

110 stranded Pakistani students return from Afghan…

Another group of 110 Pakistani students has safely returned from Afghanistan through the Torkham border crossing following efforts to facilitate the repatriation of citizens affected by tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

According to border security officials, the students were brought back as part of ongoing arrangements to ensure the safe return of Pakistanis who had remained stranded across the border. Earlier, around 70 Pakistani students were also repatriated through the same crossing about a month ago.

Authorities said the latest return reflects continued coordination between officials on both sides of the border to ease the movement of stranded individuals. The repatriation process was carried out smoothly under agreed arrangements aimed at addressing humanitarian concerns.

In addition to the return of students, authorities also permitted 592 Pakistani cargo trucks to re-enter the country through the Torkham border. The move is expected to provide relief to transporters and traders whose commercial activities had been disrupted due to restrictions at the border.

Border officials said the phased return of students and commercial vehicles was made possible through coordinated efforts involving diplomatic representatives, border security authorities from both countries and local facilitators working to improve cross-border movement.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Karachi crime remains high in July

    The Citizens-Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) has released its latest crime statistics for Karachi, showing a significant number of killings, extortion cases, mobile-phone thefts and vehicle-related crimes during July. According to the CPLC data, 40 people lost their lives in different incidents across the city during the month. The figures also showed that extortion remained a concern, with 18 cases of bhata khori reported in July. Street crime continued to affect residents, particularly through mobile-phone and motorcycle theft. The CPLC recorded 1,846 mobile phones stolen across Karachi during the month, highlighting the continued risk faced by citizens while travelling or moving through public places. Vehicle-related offences also remained a major challenge. Criminals stole 110 vehicles in July, while 12 cars were snatched from citizens. The figures indicate that vehicle owners continued to face the threat of both theft and armed or forced snatching. Motorcycles accounted for the largest share of vehicle-related crime. The CPLC recorded 2,648 motorcycle thefts during July, while criminals snatched 492 motorcycles from citizens. The latest figures reflect the scale of crime reported across Karachi during the month, with motorcycles, mobile phones and vehicles remaining frequent targets. The data also highlights continued concerns over public safety, particularly in relation to street crime and property offences. The CPLC regularly compiles crime data from across the city to provide an overview of reported criminal activity. The July figures are likely to keep the focus on law-and-order conditions in Karachi and the need for stronger measures to protect citizens and their property.

  • |

    Ronaldo hints at retirement as 1,000-goal dream nears

    LISBON: Cristiano Ronaldo has given his clearest indication yet that the end of his extraordinary football career could be approaching, saying the upcoming season may be his final one as a professional. The 41-year-old Portugal captain, however, appears determined to make his final chapter memorable. Ronaldo is chasing the extraordinary milestone of 1,000 goals and wants to leave the sport with a legacy that reflects more than two decades at the highest level. “This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told Vogue in an interview published on Sunday. Ronaldo made his senior debut for Sporting CP in 2002 and has since built one of the most decorated careers in football history. He has played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus before continuing his career with Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has also become one of international football’s most prolific scorers with Portugal. Ronaldo currently has 976 goals for club and country, leaving him just 24 goals short of the unprecedented 1,000-goal mark. Reaching that figure before retirement would add another remarkable achievement to a career already filled with records. Yet one major prize remains missing from his collection: the FIFA World Cup. Portugal’s failure to win the 2026 tournament means Ronaldo will likely finish his international career without lifting football’s biggest trophy. Despite his latest comments, Ronaldo has not announced a specific retirement date, leaving open the possibility that he could continue beyond the coming season. The veteran forward has also begun thinking about life away from football. He said he has plenty of interests that could keep him occupied once he finally steps away from the game. Ronaldo mentioned travelling more, playing padel and enjoying the rewards of a career built on years of discipline and sacrifice. For now, though, his focus remains on football — and perhaps the most eye-catching target of all: becoming the first player to reach 1,000 career goals.

  • | |

    UNESCO raises questions over Pakistan’s Taxila h…

    Islamabad: Pakistan’s ancient heritage sites have come under scrutiny after UNESCO raised questions over conservation work carried out at the historic Taxila archaeological sites of Mohra Moradu and Sirkap, prompting a Senate committee to seek detailed explanations from government officials. The Senate Standing Committee on National Heritage and Culture reviewed UNESCO’s concerns during a meeting at Parliament House and questioned whether restoration work at Pakistan’s internationally recognised heritage sites was being carried out according to global preservation standards. Officials informed the committee that UNESCO had asked for additional information regarding the conservation work conducted by the Directorate General of Archaeology, Punjab, at the Taxila sites. The committee was told that the required details had already been provided to UNESCO by the provincial authorities and no further objections had been received after the submission. Officials assured lawmakers that the restoration work followed UNESCO conservation guidelines and international standards. The meeting was chaired by Senator Hidayatullah Khan and attended by Senators Abdul Wasay, Bushra Anjum, Sarmad Ali and Syed Waqar Mehdi along with senior officials from the Ministry of National Heritage and Culture. During the briefing, officials explained that after the 18th Constitutional Amendment, responsibility for heritage conservation was transferred to provincial governments. They said the Government of Punjab started conservation activities at the Taxila archaeological sites and followed recommendations provided by UNESCO, ICOMOS and other expert organisations. Officials said the conservation strategy focused on protecting the original structure of the ancient remains while using scientific methods. They explained that the work included repairing damaged walls, improving drainage systems, protecting old structures from weather damage and using materials compatible with the original construction. Senator Syed Waqar Mehdi asked officials about the exact concerns raised by UNESCO. Officials explained that UNESCO’s observations mainly focused on the materials used during restoration, the method for rebuilding certain walls and the height of reconstructed structures. They said these issues were reviewed and addressed through detailed documentation submitted to UNESCO. The committee was informed that scientific cleaning and repair methods were used to protect the archaeological remains while maintaining international conservation principles. Pakistan currently has six sites listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, while documents for 24 more locations have been prepared for possible future inclusion. Officials told the committee that UNESCO usually considers only one nomination from each country annually.   They said Pakistan has requested UNESCO to give priority to its pending nominations so more historical locations can receive international recognition. The committee also discussed plans to develop Taxila as a major heritage and tourism destination.   Officials informed members that around Rs100 million had already been spent during the current year on conservation activities. They said further projects, including an open air museum and improved visitor facilities, were being considered to attract tourists while protecting ancient sites.   Senator Bushra Anjum stressed that stronger federal monitoring was needed despite heritage being mainly managed by provinces. She said Pakistan must improve tourism facilities around heritage sites, including better visitor services, accommodation options and a sustainable system that creates income while preserving history.   She warned that inappropriate materials or poor restoration methods could permanently damage important archaeological sites.   The committee directed the ministry to provide UNESCO’s official response once received and recommended that members visit the Taxila archaeological sites personally to review the conservation work. The meeting also discussed another major heritage issue involving the recovery of smuggled Pakistani archaeological artefacts from the United States. Officials informed the committee that 513 valuable archaeological artefacts had been returned to Pakistan through cooperation with US authorities. They said the recovered objects mainly belonged to the ancient Gandhara civilisation and had been seized after being illegally taken out of Pakistan over several decades. Officials described the artefacts as priceless national treasures representing Pakistan’s thousands of years of history. The committee was informed that plans were underway to establish a new museum where these recovered items could be safely preserved and displayed to the public. Officials said efforts were being made to acquire land for the museum in coordination with the Capital Development Authority and public private partnership options were also being explored. Committee members demanded details about the people involved in the smuggling network, the investigation process and the estimated value of the recovered artefacts. They directed the ministry to submit a complete report explaining how the artefacts were recovered and what action had been taken against those involved in illegal trafficking. The committee also discussed reports about the demolition of a historic Mughal era arch near Rohara Village for a housing development project. The chairman directed officials to collect complete information about the incident and present a detailed report at the next meeting.

  • | | |

    PSX extends decline as KSE-100 drops over 1,260 po…

    The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) remained under pressure on Friday, with the benchmark KSE-100 Index extending its recent losing streak during the morning trading session as investor sentiment stayed weak. By the time trading was suspended for the routine Friday prayer break, the KSE-100 Index had fallen 1,264.14 points, or 0.74%, to 170,475.30. The market opened in negative territory and continued to fluctuate throughout the session. The index reached an intraday high of 171,208.55 before declining to a low of 169,512.88, reflecting persistent selling pressure across the market. Trading activity remained moderate, with more than 114 million shares changing hands during the morning session. The total value of traded shares stood at approximately Rs7.83 billion before the temporary suspension. Market participants said investors remained cautious as profit-taking continued in several heavyweight stocks. The absence of strong buying interest also contributed to the downward trend, keeping the benchmark index below its previous closing level. The market moved within a wide range of nearly 1,700 points during the session, highlighting continued volatility as investors assessed economic conditions and overall market sentiment. Analysts said investors are closely monitoring developments that could influence market direction, including corporate earnings, economic indicators and broader financial conditions. They added that confidence has remained subdued in recent sessions, resulting in increased selling activity. Trading is expected to resume after the Friday prayer break, with investors watching for signs of a recovery. Market experts believe the direction of the afternoon session will determine whether the benchmark index can recover some of its losses or end the week on another negative note.

  • | |

    Heavy rain disrupts traffic, floods low-lying area…

    Heavy rainfall disrupted routine life across Lahore on Saturday, leaving several roads, underpasses and low-lying neighbourhoods inundated and causing difficulties for motorists and pedestrians. The downpour led to significant water accumulation in different parts of the city, slowing traffic and making several routes difficult to navigate. Residents in low-lying areas faced particular inconvenience as rainwater gathered on streets and roads. According to rainfall figures recorded by the Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa), Lahore received an average of 24.6 millimetres of rain. The highest rainfall was recorded at Lahore Airport, where 104mm was reported. Kahna received 75.6mm, while 62.6mm was recorded at Hadiara Defence Road and 58.6mm at Manawan. Rainfall was also recorded in Tajpura, Mughalpura, Shadipura, Defence Phase-VI, Farrukhabad, Saggian, Lakshmi Chowk, Chowk Nakhuda and other areas. Although the rain provided relief from the prevailing heat and brought cooler weather, waterlogging created problems for commuters and once again highlighted the challenges faced by Lahore’s low-lying areas during heavy showers. Wasa Lahore mobilised field teams and heavy machinery to remove accumulated water from affected locations. Officials continued drainage operations at several underpasses, major roads and low-lying points across the city. Wasa Managing Director Ghufran Ahmed inspected drainage activities at several key locations, including Mubeen Shaheed Underpass, Noor Jehan Road, MM Alam Road, Main Boulevard Gulberg, Qaddafi Stadium and Liberty Chowk. He also reviewed operations at Kalma Chowk Underpass and other emergency drainage facilities. Officials said disposal stations in areas affected by power outages were being operated with generators to ensure that drainage work continued without interruption. Wasa Vice Chairman Chaudhry Shehbaz Ahmed also inspected water drainage arrangements at several locations, including Shalimar Link Road, Bhagwanpura, UET and nearby areas. Meanwhile, Chief Traffic Officer Abdul Rahim Shirazi directed traffic officials to remain present in the field and closely monitor traffic flow and vulnerable points during the rainfall. Traffic police coordinated with Wasa teams to facilitate the removal of standing water and advised motorists to drive carefully on slippery roads. Drivers were urged to maintain a safe distance, avoid sudden braking and reduce speed. Motorcyclists were advised to wear helmets and avoid unnecessary overtaking. Citizens were also warned against entering roads where floodwater appeared deep or unsafe.

  • |

    Weight-loss jabs like Ozempic linked to higher hair loss risk

    Millions of people rely on weight-loss injections like Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro to shed extra pounds. Now, new research suggests these drugs may come with an unexpected downside. A recent study found that these medications significantly raise the risk of hair loss. Patients using them were found to be 70 percent more likely to experience hair loss compared to those on other diabetes medications. The research came from a team at the University of Pennsylvania. They reviewed more than 50,000 health records for the study and their findings showed a clear link between Wegovy, Mounjaro, and a higher chance of developing alopecia. Since these drugs are also prescribed for type 2 diabetes, researchers compared them against other diabetes treatments. These included SGLT-2 inhibitors and DPP-4 inhibitors. The results were striking. People taking GLP-1 drugs were 69 percent more likely to experience hair loss than those on DPP-4 inhibitors. They were also 37 percent more likely to face hair loss compared to SGLT-2 inhibitor users. Researchers noted that hair loss tended to appear around the one-year mark after starting treatment. The pattern showed up in both men and women, though it seemed more pronounced in women. The study’s authors explained that hormonal shifts triggered by the drugs could affect hair growth. This effect may be stronger in people who already have underlying hormonal conditions. They said their findings build on earlier informal reports and offer clearer evidence for doctors to consider. Importantly, the hair loss identified was non-scarring. This means the hair follicles remain intact, leaving room for regrowth over time. The FDA has reportedly been collecting reports of hair loss linked to these medications. The agency is said to be reviewing the issue as a possible safety concern. Experts pointed to several possible explanations. Strict calorie cutting can create psychological stress and lead to shortages of key nutrients like iron, zinc, and biotin. These deficiencies can interfere with normal hair growth cycles. Hormonal changes caused by the drugs themselves were also flagged as a contributing factor. A weight-management researcher from the University of Cambridge added some context. They noted the increased risk translates to roughly three extra recorded hair loss cases per 1,000 person-years of treatment, compared to other diabetes drugs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *