ajk polling postponed
| | | |

AJK polling postponed in LA-27 after landslides

MUZAFFARABAD: Polling for the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly constituency LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I was postponed on Sunday after heavy monsoon rains and landslides cut off key roads, preventing election officials and polling materials from reaching voting stations on time.

According to the AJK Election Commission, severe weather disrupted transportation routes across parts of the constituency, making it impossible for polling staff and election equipment to arrive before the scheduled start of voting. As a result, polling in the constituency was suspended for the day.

The commission said the decision was taken after assessing the situation on the ground and consulting the district administration, which had been working to reopen blocked roads since early morning. However, despite continued efforts, several affected routes remained inaccessible due to landslides and debris caused by the intense rainfall.

Election authorities announced that a new polling date for LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I would be declared later in the day, with an official announcement expected at 2pm.

The Election Commission expressed regret over the inconvenience caused to voters and appealed for public cooperation, stressing that the postponement was necessary to ensure the safety of election personnel and to conduct the electoral process in a fair and orderly manner.

While polling was halted in LA-27, voting in all other constituencies across Azad Jammu and Kashmir continued according to schedule under security arrangements. Election officials said polling activities elsewhere remained unaffected by the weather.

The suspension highlights the challenges posed by the ongoing monsoon season in the mountainous region, where heavy rainfall frequently triggers landslides and road closures, disrupting transportation and public services.

Authorities said they were closely monitoring weather conditions and coordinating with local administration to restore road access as quickly as possible so that polling in the affected constituency can be held without further delay.

Voters in LA-27 have been advised to stay updated through official Election Commission announcements regarding the revised polling schedule and any additional instructions.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Echoes of 1971 in Pakistan’s Kashmir policy

    History rarely repeats itself in exact terms, but it frequently rhymes through patterns of power, dissent and state responses. In Pakistan, analysts and political observers are increasingly highlighting the parallels between historical missteps. It is specifically the events leading up to the loss of East Pakistan in 1971 and the contemporary public grievances in Pakistan-administered Kashmir. The Cost of Ignoring Electoral Mandates In 1970, General Yahya Khan permitted general elections across Pakistan. The Awami League in East Pakistan secured a decisive democratic victory by winning 162 out of 300 national seats. However, rather than facilitating a peaceful transfer of power, military leaders stalled negotiations in Dhaka through early 1971. This breakdown in dialogue culminated in Operation Searchlight, a military crackdown targeting intellectuals, students, and Bengali civilians. The resulting violence triggered a massive refugee crisis. Approximately ten million people were sent to India. A war that ultimately led to the creation of Bangladesh. Pakistan’s own Hamoodur Rahman Commission concluded that political failure and operational excess by military leadership were central to the catastrophe. Despite these official findings, the report remained suppressed for decades, leaving fundamental lessons about the dangers of military overreach largely unexamined within state institutions.  Unrest in Pakistan-Controlled Kashmir Today, army leadership under General Asim Munir continues to champion strong nationalistic rhetoric regarding Kashmir. He has been asserting it as the nation’s core and a willingness to fight further conflicts over Indian-administered territory. Yet, a  different internal dynamic has been evolving since 2025 within the territories Pakistan actually controls. Local populations have mobilized in widespread demonstrations driven by clear economic and political grievances. Unmanageable costs for basic essential goods. Disproportionately high pricing for local power distribution. Legislative structures that assign disproportionate authority to mainland administrators rather than local residents. State institutions responded with heavy-handed measures rather than operating for meaningful negotiation. The organizing groups were banned, communication blackouts were implemented and arrests occurred. Security forces deployed live fire against demonstrators  and caused dozens of civilian casualties. The Danger of Ignoring Unheard Grievances The concern raised by historians is not that history will reproduce the exact outcome of 1971, but that the state is relying on the same flawed logic. State is again attempting to suppress domestic economic and political grievances through state force. When state policy prioritizes coercion over political engagement, it risks alienating populations. The lingering question for Pakistan’s establishment is whether the lessons of past governance failures will finally be integrated, or whether suppressed grievances will once again lead to deep institutional crises.  

  • | |

    AJK rejects firing allegations against forces

    The Government of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) has strongly rejected allegations that security forces opened fire on protesters or were responsible for civilian deaths during the recent unrest in Rawalakot, describing the claims as false, unverified and part of an organised disinformation campaign. Responding to a report by the BBC on the recent incidents, the AJK government said armed members of the banned Joint Awami Action Committee opened fire on security personnel in Rawalakot, resulting in the deaths and injuries of several officers. It also alleged that the attackers set multiple vehicles on fire during the violence. According to the government, security forces acted only to maintain law and order and enforce the law, insisting that civilians were not deliberately targeted during the operation. The AJK government cited information from the police spokesperson, who said seven security personnel were killed and 143 others were injured in firing allegedly carried out by armed members of the banned Joint Awami Action Committee. It further claimed that the banned group has a history of violent activities. According to the statement, attacks carried out in 2024 and 2025 resulted in the deaths of four security personnel and left hundreds of others injured. The government also said two individuals arrested on July 28 and 29 were under investigation. It alleged that one of the suspects claimed a reward of Rs10 million had been offered for the killing of each Ranger, raising questions about the possible funding of the group. According to the statement, verified videos show armed individuals linked to the banned Joint Awami Action Committee using modern weapons and firing during the unrest. The AJK government maintained that law enforcement agencies carried out their constitutional responsibilities with restraint and professionalism. It insisted that no action was taken against peaceful civilians and that operations were conducted solely to restore public order. The government also categorically denied allegations of indiscriminate firing, the use of snipers or claims that bodies of victims were withheld from their families. It further alleged that the banned Joint Awami Action Committee had previously been involved in blocking roads, stopping or burning cargo vehicles and disrupting the supply of essential goods. According to the statement, law enforcement agencies made efforts to keep roads open and ensure the uninterrupted movement of essential supplies. The AJK government added that the Joint Awami Action Committee has been declared a banned organisation under the Anti-Terrorism Act and said all legal proceedings against the group are being carried out in accordance with the law.

  • | |

    Bas Tera Saath Ho fame Rizwan Ali Jaffri addresses marital status

    Model, singer, and actor Rizwan Ali Jaffri—currently drawing significant audience attention for his performance as Faham Qureshi in the drama series Bas Tera Saath Ho—has opened up regarding his personal life and single marital status, offering fans a rare glimpse into his private perspectives on relationships. ​Appearing as a guest on a digital talk show, the multi-faceted artist addressed ongoing public curiosity surrounding his bachelorhood. Jaffri, who initially rose to prominence as one of the fashion industry’s premier male models and a Lux Style Award-winning musician before transitioning into acting, shared that while he remains open to finding love, he firmly believes in allowing personal relationships to develop naturally rather than bowing to societal expectations. ​Elaborating on his outlook, Jaffri emphasized that emotional maturity, mutual respect, and genuine compatibility are fundamental pillars for any prospective life partner. He noted that while navigating a demanding career in the entertainment industry requires intense focus and energy, he maintains a grounded view on romance and family life, prioritizing long-term emotional stability over external pressures to settle down prematurely. ​”I am at a point in my life where I am open to love and building a meaningful connection, but finding the right person requires patience. Emotional compatibility and shared values mean far more to me than simply fulfilling societal expectations.” ​Jaffri’s recent turn as the suave yet manipulative Faham Qureshi in ARY Digital’s Bas Tera Saath Ho has reignited widespread interest in his acting career. Starring alongside Farhan Saeed, Sana Javed, and Zoya Nasir, Jaffri’s character plays a pivotal role in driving the drama’s central conflict, earning recognition from television critics for injecting dynamic tension into the prime-time narrative. ​Addressing the stark contrast between his on-screen persona and real-life personality, Jaffri underscored the importance of maintaining clear boundaries between his professional roles and personal life. While his character in the drama navigates complex, opportunistic relationships, the actor reaffirmed his commitment to living an authentic, low-profile personal life anchored by family, close friendships, and creative pursuits. ​As Bas Tera Saath Ho continues its successful television run, Jaffri’s candid commentary on marriage, fame, and personal balance has resonated strongly with viewers, further solidifying his reputation as a thoughtful and grounded figure in the Pakistani entertainment landscape.

  • | |

    Pakistani journalist Murtaza Ali Shah assaulted du…

    Pakistani journalist Murtaza Ali Shah was assaulted and injured while covering a protest march in central London. According to reports, Shah was attacked while reporting on a march organised by supporters of the banned Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), which began at Hyde Park and proceeded towards the Pakistan High Commission. A large number of British Kashmiris gathered at Hyde Park before the march to express concern over the deteriorating situation in Azad Kashmir. Protesters called for an end to violence, the restoration of fundamental rights, and the resumption of dialogue. Eyewitnesses and videos showed that Shah came under attack as the march approached the Pakistan High Commission. While reporting from the scene, he was allegedly kicked and punched from both the front and behind by at least three individuals. A crowd quickly surrounded the journalist, escalating tensions until Metropolitan Police officers, protest organisers, and other participants intervened to prevent the situation from worsening. Police later escorted Shah away from the crowd and ensured his safety. According to reports, when Shah returned to the Pakistan High Commission to continue his reporting, members of the same group allegedly attempted to harass him again.

  • | |

    Security forces kill militants in Lakki Marwat ope…

    Security forces carried out intelligence-based operations in Lakki Marwat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, killing several militants and destroying multiple hideouts during the latest counterterrorism action. According to security sources, the operation targeted militant hideouts following intelligence reports about their presence in the area. During the operation, several militants were killed, while others were reportedly injured as security forces engaged the suspects. Officials said a cache of weapons, ammunition and other militant-related material was recovered from the sites cleared during the operation. Security sources added that the operation dealt a significant blow to the militant network operating in the area. Clearance and search activities continued to ensure that no militants remained in the vicinity. Meanwhile, Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi praised the security forces for the successful operation. He commended the professionalism, courage and commitment displayed by the personnel in carrying out the intelligence-based action. The interior minister said the forces had foiled the militants’ plans through timely action and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to eliminating terrorism from the country. He added that intelligence-based operations would continue until militant groups are completely dismantled and lasting peace is restored. He also said the nation stands with the security forces and values their sacrifices in maintaining peace and protecting the country from terrorist threats.

  • | |

    Justin Bieber playfully challenges Novak Djokovic …

    Justin Bieber brought plenty of laughs to this year’s Fanatics Fest in New York City after confidently claiming he could beat tennis legend Novak Djokovic in a game of table tennis. However, the friendly competition quickly proved that the 24-time Grand Slam champion is just as impressive away from the tennis court. The lighthearted moment took place during a bonus table tennis match held as part of Fanatics Fest, a major sports and entertainment event that brought together athletes, celebrities, and fans for a weekend of competitions and interactive activities. Bieber and Djokovic were among the event’s biggest attractions, with their unexpected matchup becoming one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. (fanaticsfest.com⁠ and people.com⁠) Before stepping up to the table, Bieber confidently joked about his abilities, telling those around him that he believed he was a better ping pong player than Djokovic. The singer appeared full of confidence as he prepared to face one of the greatest athletes in sports history. “I think I’m better than Novak,” Bieber joked before the match, drawing laughter from spectators. His playful confidence set the stage for a fun contest that quickly entertained the crowd. (people.com⁠) Once the game began, however, Djokovic showed why elite athletes often excel in multiple sports. Displaying quick reflexes, excellent hand-eye coordination, and remarkable control, the Serbian star comfortably outplayed Bieber during the friendly match. Despite the result, Bieber took the defeat in good spirits. The pair shared laughs throughout the game, exchanged friendly banter, and embraced after the match, highlighting the relaxed and entertaining atmosphere of the event. Fanatics Fest has become known for creating unique moments by bringing together stars from different industries. This year’s edition featured athletes from the NBA, NFL, MLB, WWE, and tennis alongside musicians, actors, and digital creators. The Bieber-Djokovic showdown quickly became one of the weekend’s standout highlights, generating widespread attention across social media. (fanaticsfest.com⁠) Djokovic, widely regarded as one of the greatest tennis players of all time, has often spoken about enjoying table tennis as a recreational activity. His impressive performance against Bieber surprised some fans but also reinforced the athletic versatility that has defined his remarkable career. Meanwhile, Bieber has increasingly appeared at major sporting events in recent months, often supporting friends and enjoying competitions outside the music world. His willingness to laugh at himself after the loss earned praise from fans, who appreciated the singer’s sense of humor and competitive spirit. Clips from the match quickly spread online, with many viewers enjoying the playful exchange between the global pop star and the tennis icon. Rather than creating a fierce rivalry, the contest showcased mutual respect, good sportsmanship, and plenty of laughter. While Justin Bieber may have entered the match believing he had the upper hand, Novak Djokovic ultimately let his paddle do the talking. The entertaining encounter proved that sometimes the best moments in sports come not from serious competition, but from friendly challenges between stars who know how to have fun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *