8216i never said
| |

‘I never said Rawalakot people aren’t …

SIALKOT: Defence Minister Khawaja Asif has rejected claims that he questioned the Kashmiri identity of the people of Rawalakot, saying his remarks had been misunderstood and reaffirming Pakistan’s support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir.

Addressing a public gathering in Sialkot on Friday, the senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader said he had “never said that the people of Rawalakot are not Kashmiris.” He stressed that Pakistan’s bond with Kashmir remains unwavering and added that pro-Pakistan slogans continue to be raised in Indian-administered Kashmir.

Khawaja Asif also pledged that the government would not allow the abolition of refugee-reserved seats, describing Kashmiri refugees as the rightful stakeholders whose political representation must be protected.

“The refugee seats will not be abolished. Kashmiri refugees are the true heirs of these constituencies,” he told supporters, adding that the government remained committed to safeguarding their constitutional and political rights.

The defence minister also criticized the Action Committee operating in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, accusing it of encouraging unrest despite the government having previously accepted many of its demands. He claimed that financial assistance amounting to Rs24-25 billion had already been provided to address public concerns.

Without presenting evidence, Asif further alleged that some members of the committee were “suspicious” and receiving foreign funding, asserting that their activities were creating unnecessary instability instead of contributing to constructive dialogue.

Turning to politics, the PML-N leader expressed confidence that his party would form the next government in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, saying the party remained committed to development, stability and public welfare in the region.

His remarks come amid heightened political debate over Kashmir-related issues and governance in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, where political parties continue to campaign on questions of representation, development and regional stability ahead of future electoral contests.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Karachi aerial firing leaves dozens injured on eve…

    Pakistan’s Independence Day celebrations turned tragic in Karachi after celebratory aerial firing injured dozens of people across the city. According to rescue officials, at least 86 people were injured in separate incidents of aerial firing on the eve of August 14. The victims included 59 men, 17 children and 10 women, highlighting the serious danger posed by the unlawful practice. (Dawn⁠) The injured were transported to several major hospitals in Karachi for immediate medical treatment. Rescue officials reported that 24 victims were taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, while 35 were shifted to Jinnah Hospital. Another 26 people were transported to Civil Hospital. One additional injured woman was taken to a private hospital. (PakTribune⁠) The incidents were reported from several areas of Karachi, including Lyari, Saddar, Korangi, Malir, Azizabad, North Nazimabad, Nazimabad, Gulbahar, Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Orangi Town, Jamshed Quarters and Defence. The injuries occurred as residents gathered to celebrate Pakistan’s Independence Day. While Independence Day is traditionally marked with flags, decorations, patriotic songs and family gatherings, the use of firearms during celebrations has repeatedly turned festive occasions into dangerous situations. Authorities have consistently warned citizens against aerial firing. Despite these warnings and existing restrictions, celebratory gunfire continues to occur during major occasions such as Independence Day and New Year’s Eve. Police also launched a crackdown against people allegedly involved in aerial firing in different parts of Karachi. (Dawn⁠) The danger of aerial firing is particularly serious because bullets fired into the air can travel significant distances before falling. People who are completely unaware of the firing can be struck while standing outside, travelling through the city or even staying inside their homes. The latest incident also comes after a similarly tragic Independence Day last year. In 2025, three people, including a minor girl, were killed and more than 100 others were injured in celebratory gunfire across Karachi. Authorities subsequently arrested suspects and recovered illegal weapons. (Dawn⁠) The repeated incidents have renewed concerns about public safety and the enforcement of restrictions against celebratory firing. What some people consider a form of celebration can result in permanent injuries, loss of life and lasting trauma for innocent families. Independence Day is meant to celebrate Pakistan’s freedom and national identity. However, the injuries reported in Karachi serve as a painful reminder that celebrations should never put other people’s lives at risk. As authorities continue efforts to control aerial firing, citizens are also being urged to celebrate responsibly. Fireworks, flags, music and family gatherings can create a festive atmosphere without putting innocent people in danger. The Karachi incidents underline a simple message: patriotism should bring people together, not leave families rushing to hospitals. (Dawn⁠)

  • | |

    Influencer Shay Martin remarries a year after husband’s death

    LOS ANGELES: Social media influencer Shay Martin has announced that she has remarried, nearly a year after the death of her husband, Tanner Martin, marking the beginning of a new chapter in her life. Shay shared the news with her followers through a heartfelt post on Instagram, where she reflected on her journey over the past year and thanked supporters who had stood by her family during one of the most difficult periods of their lives. In a statement, she said she understood that many people had questions about how her life had changed since Tanner’s passing. She explained that she chose to share her story personally so that her followers could hear directly from her rather than through speculation. Shay revealed that she and her late husband had spoken openly about the future before his death. According to her, Tanner had hoped that one day she would find someone who would love both her and their daughter, AmyLou, while respecting the family they had built together. She said those conversations gave her strength to move forward and embrace a new beginning without forgetting the memories she shared with her late husband. The influencer encouraged followers to watch the full video she posted online, saying it explains her emotions, Tanner’s wishes, and the reasons behind her decision to remarry. Shay stressed that starting a new relationship does not diminish the love she continues to hold for Tanner. She said he will always remain an important part of her life and will forever be remembered as AmyLou’s father. She also recalled one of Tanner’s lasting messages, urging people to treat others with kindness and to assume good intentions in difficult situations. Her announcement received widespread attention on social media, with many followers offering messages of support and wishing her happiness as she begins the next phase of her life while continuing to honour the memory of her late husband.

  • US Incursion Into Venezuela Fuels Thai Baht Rally

    The Thai baht strengthened significantly this week, trading between 31.00 to 31.85 against the US dollar, as global markets reacted to geopolitical tensions following a US military incursion into Venezuela. The move triggered a surge in gold prices and spurred capital inflows into Thailand’s financial markets, the Bangkok Post reported. Thailand Tightens Reporting on Non-Resident […]

  • |

    Priyanka Chopra reveals next Hollywood project with Russell Crowe

    Priyanka Chopra has officially revealed her next Hollywood project, Bluefly, a science-fiction action thriller that will see her star alongside Academy Award winner Russell Crowe. The announcement marks another major international venture for the actress, who continues to expand her presence in global cinema with high-profile productions. The actress shared the update with fans on Instagram on Thursday, posting a behind-the-scenes image and captioning it simply, “On to the next.” The brief message quickly drew widespread attention, with fans and celebrities alike celebrating the exciting casting announcement. Bluefly will be directed by Nimród Antal, known for his work on action and thriller films. The screenplay has been written by David Frigerio together with William Eubank and Carlyle Eubank, promising a story packed with suspense, mystery and large-scale action. Set against the backdrop of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the film follows a grieving United Nations translator who unexpectedly becomes involved in a highly classified black-operations mission. The assignment centres on recovering a mysterious aircraft that was never meant to exist, forcing a Special Operations team to travel through dangerous militia-controlled territory. As the mission unfolds, the team discovers that retrieving the aircraft may not have been the true objective. Hidden agendas, dangerous secrets and unexpected twists transform what initially appears to be a recovery operation into a fight for survival. The storyline is expected to combine military action, science-fiction elements and psychological suspense. The film boasts an experienced production team, with Michael Jefferson, David Frigerio, Deborah Glover, Arianne Fraser, Delphine Perrier and Vanessa Yao Guo serving as producers. Their collaboration aims to deliver a large-scale thriller for international audiences. Speaking about the project, producer Delphine Perrier described Bluefly as a gripping action thriller filled with surprising twists and an emotionally layered story. She also expressed confidence that director Nimród Antal and the film’s cast would bring the ambitious project to life for viewers around the world. Priyanka’s Instagram announcement quickly attracted support from friends and colleagues across the entertainment industry. Her husband, singer Nick Jonas, reacted with fire emojis, while actress Huma Qureshi also showed her excitement in the comments section. Fans flooded the post with congratulatory messages, praising the casting and expressing enthusiasm about seeing Chopra and Crowe share the screen. Many described the pairing as one of the most exciting casting announcements of the year. Russell Crowe adds significant star power to the project. The veteran actor remains one of Hollywood’s most respected performers, earning worldwide acclaim and an Academy Award for his iconic portrayal of Maximus in Gladiator. His addition is expected to elevate the film’s international appeal. Meanwhile, Priyanka Chopra has a busy schedule ahead. Alongside Bluefly, she is preparing for her much-awaited return to Indian cinema with director SS Rajamouli’s upcoming film Varanasi. The project reunites her with Indian audiences after an eight-year gap and features an impressive ensemble cast, including Mahesh Babu and Prithviraj Sukumaran. The Indian epic is currently slated for a theatrical release in April 2027, while production on Bluefly is expected to begin soon as Chopra continues balancing major projects across Hollywood and India.

  • Anutin Charnvirakul Secures Second Term as Thailand’s 32nd Prime Minister

    BANGKOK — Anutin Charnvirakul has been re-elected as Thailand’s prime minister after securing a decisive parliamentary majority on March 19, paving the way for his second consecutive term at the helm of the Southeast Asian nation . Anutin Orders Thai Government Officials to Work From Home Amid Middle East Crisis The House of Representatives convened […]

  • |

    Destructive earthquake hits Western Colombia

    An omnipotent earthquake hit western Colombia in the early morning hours, leaving destruction, multiple fatalities and dozens of collapsed structures across several municipalities. Emergency responders and local residents are rushing  to pull survivors from beneath piles of heavy rubble. In the heart of the country’s coffee-growing region, Pereira Mayor Mauricio Salazar confirmed that 18 residents lost their lives due to the tragic event. Salazar stated, “The situation is critical.” He addressed Caracol Radio regarding the growing casualty toll and structural collapse. Reports from neighboring municipalities highlighted the widespread reach of the disaster. In nearby Manizales, Mayor Jorge Eduardo Rojas reported three fatalities resulting from the shaking. Along Colombia’s Pacific coastline, the key port city of Buenaventura also suffered casualties. Mayor Ligia del Carmen Cordoba confirmed one death after a building caved in, trapping several individuals inside. Cali, one of the nation’s largest urban centers, was among the hardest hit. The municipal authorities have yet to confirm official death tolls there, though. Mayor Alejandro Eder informed Caracol Radio that at least 30 buildings had completely collapsed. The collapse happened even with rescue crews actively operating at 10 high-priority sites across the city. Speaking earlier to Blu Radio, Mayor Eder detailed the urgency of the ongoing efforts: At this point, two people have already been rescued alive, one elderly woman and one young girl. There are more people trapped, he explained, emphasizing the scale of the emergency. He noted further, We have at least 12 critical points and 25 collapsed structures that we are responding to. In order to handle the overwhelming strain on local resources, the city requested emergency disaster support from authorities in Bogota and Medellin. Cali resident Juan Carlos Osorio described the immediate aftermath while sifting through wreckage: The building completely collapsed. It sounded like a bomb. It was horrible, Osorio told Caracol Television. He added, All of us neighbors are working together, forming human chains. We need heavy equipment. There are many people trapped. The immense intensity of the tremor shook neighboring nations including Ecuador, Panama, and Venezuela. However, Colombian officials confirmed that there was no threat of a tsunami. In the capital city of Bogota, the morning quake caused widespread alarm. They’re prompting frightened residents to run into the streets in their pajamas as emergency sirens echoed. Bogota Mayor Carlos Galan reassured the public via Blu Radio that damage within the capital appeared relatively minor, consisting primarily of cracked building facades. Elsewhere, news footage revealed severe structural damage, including multi-story buildings with their outer walls completely sheared off. In Choco province, the governor posted on X that multiple injuries and severe structural damage occurred in the departmental capital of Quibdo. News outlets broadcast images of destruction across cities in the coffee-growing region, known locally as Eje Cafetero. 66-year-old Eje Cafetero resident Martha Estrada told reporters, “There is no electricity or cell phone coverage. It was strong, really strong. Things fell in my house,” recounting the blackout and sudden movement inside her home. Cali’s mayor, Alejandro Eder, re-emphasized that the city was managing major damage and noted that officials were deploying drones to assess structural integrity across neighborhoods. He reiterated that at least 20 buildings had collapsed with individuals trapped inside, driving the urgent appeal for specialized rescue reinforcement from Bogota and Medellin. Residents in Bogota also recalled the intensity of the event, with 29-year-old content creator Valeria Polo remarking, The quake was very, very strong. To safeguard air travel, Colombia’s civil aeronautics agency announced on X that six regional airports temporarily suspended operations. The affected terminals serve Pereira, Manizales, Quibdo, Armenia, Cartago, and Buenaventura, allowing inspection crews to verify runway and building safety. Geographically, Colombia experiences frequent seismic activity because it is situated across three ranges of the Andean mountains. Historically, however, landslides have proven to be the country’s most lethal natural hazards, such as the 1985 Armero disaster that claimed approximately 25,000 lives. Major earthquakes have also left dark marks on the region; in 1999, a 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck the coffee region, resulting in over 1,000 fatalities in Armenia and Pereira. De La Espriella, a right-wing politician who has not previously held elected office, released a video filmed aboard a flight to Bogota following the disaster. He announced that he was suspending his scheduled activities to personally oversee emergency coordination efforts from the national capital.   This natural disaster follows severe regional seismic activity earlier in the summer, when twin earthquakes measuring 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude struck Venezuela on June 24, leaving over 6,000 dead and causing catastrophic damage along the coast near Caracas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *