govt increases petrol
|

Govt increases petrol by Rs1.09, HSD by Rs2.42

The government on Thursday increased the prices of petrol and high-speed diesel (HSD) by Rs1.09 and Rs2.42 per litre, respectively, passing on the impact of fluctuating global oil prices amid ongoing Middle East tensions.

Following the revision, petrol will retail at Rs336.15 per litre, while HSD will cost Rs393.04 per litre. The government continues to levy Rs110 per litre in taxes and duties on petrol and Rs96 per litre on diesel. The Petroleum Division’s notification said the new prices would be applicable for July 31 (Friday).

The diesel price has come down from a peak of Rs520.35 recorded on April 3, after beginning its upward trajectory from Rs281 per litre when the US-Iran war broke out on February 28. Similarly, petrol had peaked at Rs458.41 on April 3 after rising from Rs266 in the first week of March.

Earlier, Petroleum Minister Ali Pervaiz Malik announced that fuel prices would now be fixed on a daily basis due to fluctuations in international market prices following renewed hostilities between Iran and the US. The government had been announcing weekly revisions since early March, alongside conservation measures amid possible oil supply disruptions due to the ongoing conflict in the Middle East. In April, the federal government also announced targeted relief measures to provide subsidised fuel.

The petroleum minister stated that the cabinet and the prime minister had decided to give the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) the responsibility of deciding fuel prices on a daily basis based on international market trends. The daily pricing decision was rejected by the All Pakistan Dealers Association, which said it would consider a protest plan this week.

Petrol is mainly used in private transport, small vehicles, rickshaws and two-wheelers, and changes in its price affect the middle and lower-middle classes. Similarly, diesel price changes impact the public at large, as it is primarily used in the heavy transport sector, power plants and large generators. Petrol and HSD are the major revenue earners, with monthly sales of about 700,000 to 800,000 tonnes, compared to just 10,000 tonnes of monthly demand for kerosene.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    George and Amal Clooney evacuate beloved French ho…

    George and Amal Clooney have been forced to leave their picturesque home in southeastern France after fast-moving wildfires swept through the region, placing thousands of residents at risk. The Hollywood couple, who live in Brignoles with their nine-year-old twins, Ella and Alexander, confirmed their evacuation as emergency crews battled the devastating blazes.  The Clooneys revealed the news in a heartfelt letter addressed to Brignoles Mayor Didier Brémond. In the message, the couple admitted they had no way of knowing whether their cherished home would survive the disaster. Despite the uncertainty, they expressed hope for the safety of their neighbors and pledged to stand by the local community during the recovery effort.  “At this point we have no idea whether our beautiful home makes it through this terrible moment,” the couple wrote. They also stressed that, regardless of what happens to their property, they remain committed to helping Brignoles rebuild. “We love Brignoles and our friends who live there,” the letter added.  The wildfires have spread rapidly across several parts of southern Europe, including France, Spain, Italy and Greece, fueled by extreme heat and dry weather. French authorities have carried out thousands of evacuations as firefighters continue working around the clock to contain the flames. Reports indicate that some of the fires have grown to cover an area several times larger than Paris, highlighting the scale of the crisis.  George and Amal made France their primary family home in recent years, choosing the quieter lifestyle of Brignoles over the constant attention of Hollywood. The couple has previously spoken about wanting their children to enjoy a more private upbringing, away from the spotlight. George has often described life in the French countryside as peaceful and ideal for family life.  Although the family has temporarily left the area, their message made it clear that they remain emotionally connected to the town they now call home. Their promise to help with recovery efforts has been widely praised by local residents and supporters, who have applauded the couple’s commitment during a difficult time.  As firefighters continue battling the blazes, the fate of the Clooneys’ home remains uncertain. However, the couple’s focus appears to be on the safety of their community rather than their own property. Their response serves as a reminder that natural disasters affect everyone, regardless of fame, while also highlighting the importance of standing together in times of crisis. 

  • | |

    Trump imposes up to 100% tariff on Chinese drones

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has announced tariffs of up to 100 per cent on imported drones and certain drone components, escalating Washington’s efforts to reduce dependence on Chinese technology and strengthen America’s domestic unmanned aircraft industry. The White House said the new duties were introduced on national security grounds and would target specific unmanned aircraft systems considered particularly sensitive. The measures cover larger unmanned aerial systems weighing more than 25 kilograms at take-off. Drones equipped with technologies considered important to national security, including thermal imaging systems and drone docking stations, will also face the additional tariffs. Under the new policy, smaller drones will be subject to a 25pc tariff, while larger and more technologically sophisticated systems could face duties of up to 100pc. The structure means the final tariff will depend on a drone’s weight, size and capabilities. The decision comes as the United States seeks to reduce its reliance on Chinese-made drones and strengthen domestic supply chains for critical technologies. Chinese manufacturers have long held a significant position in the global and US drone market, particularly in consumer and commercial unmanned aircraft. The Trump administration argues that drones have become increasingly important to national security, surveillance and other sensitive operations. Officials therefore want to encourage greater production of drones and key components inside the United States. The tariffs could have an immediate impact on the prices of some imported drones, potentially making Chinese-made models significantly more expensive for American buyers. Businesses that rely on drones for commercial, industrial or specialised operations could also face higher costs. At the same time, Washington expects the policy to encourage US manufacturers to expand production and invest in domestic drone technology. The move marks another step in the broader US strategy of limiting dependence on China in strategically important technologies while promoting American manufacturing and supply-chain security.

  • |

    Pakistan names first lunar rover “Jinnah-1”

    Islamabad: The Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) has officially announced the name of Pakistan’s first lunar rover. According to SUPARCO, Pakistan’s first lunar rover has been named “Jinnah-1.” The name was selected from suggestions submitted through a nationwide competition. More than 4,000 proposals were received from across the country. SUPARCO stated that seven participants had suggested the name “Jinnah-1.” The winner was selected through a lucky draw and 17-year-old Tayyab Karim from Bahawalnagar was declared the winner for proposing the name. Tribute to Quaid-e-Azam The Chairman of SUPARCO said that “Jinnah-1” is a tribute to Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. He added that the name represents Pakistan’s determination, progress and pursuit of new frontiers in space exploration. It is worth mentioning that Pakistan’s first lunar rover is scheduled to be sent to the Moon in 2029 as part of China’s Chang’e-8 mission. The Jinnah-1 rover will conduct scientific research on the Moon’s south pole.

  • | |

    Anne Hathaway celebrates 25 years of The Princess …

    Anne Hathaway is celebrating a major career milestone as she marks 25 years since The Princess Diaries introduced her to audiences around the world and launched her journey to becoming one of Hollywood’s most beloved stars. The Oscar-winning actress took to Instagram to commemorate the anniversary of the iconic Disney film by sharing a behind-the-scenes video from the movie that changed her life. The nostalgic clip featured memorable moments from the set, giving fans a glimpse into the making of the coming-of-age classic that remains popular with audiences decades after its release. (people.com⁠) Alongside the video, Hathaway reflected on the life-changing opportunity she received when she was cast as Mia Thermopolis, an ordinary teenager who discovers she is the heir to the throne of the fictional Kingdom of Genovia. The actress expressed gratitude for everyone who played a role in bringing the film to life, thanking the cast, crew and fans who have continued to support the movie over the past 25 years. (people.com⁠) Released in 2001 and directed by the late Garry Marshall, The Princess Diaries became an instant success and turned Hathaway into an overnight sensation. Starring alongside legendary actress Julie Andrews, Hathaway earned widespread praise for her charming performance as the awkward but lovable Mia, whose transformation into a confident young princess became one of Disney’s most memorable stories. The film’s success also led to the 2004 sequel, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, which reunited Hathaway and Andrews. Over the years, fans have continued to hope for another installment, and Hathaway has repeatedly expressed excitement about returning to the role if the right story comes together. Recent reports have suggested that a third film is in development, adding to the excitement surrounding the anniversary. (entertainmentweekly.com⁠) Since her breakout role, Hathaway has built an impressive career with acclaimed performances in films including The Devil Wears Prada, Les Misérables, Interstellar, The Intern and The Idea of You. Her portrayal of Fantine in Les Misérables earned her the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, cementing her place among Hollywood’s leading performers. Despite her many achievements, The Princess Diaries continues to hold a special place in Hathaway’s heart. The anniversary celebration reminded fans of the film’s lasting impact and the beginning of a remarkable career that has spanned a quarter of a century. As fans celebrated alongside her online, Hathaway’s heartfelt tribute served as a reminder that some stories never lose their magic. Twenty-five years later, Mia Thermopolis remains an unforgettable character, and the film that launched Hathaway’s career continues to inspire new generations of viewers with its timeless message of confidence, kindness and believing in yourself.

  • | |

    Pakistan monsoon death toll hits 110

    The death toll from monsoon rains, flash floods and landslides across Pakistan has risen to 110, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). The authority said 360 people have been injured in rain-related incidents since June 26. Nearly 800 houses have also been damaged across the country. Most fatalities have been reported in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, followed by Punjab. Several areas have also faced flooding and damage caused by heavy rainfall. The NDMA briefed Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on the latest situation. The authority warned that northern parts of the country could face more flash floods and glacial lake outburst floods in the coming weeks. Rapidly melting glaciers have increased the risk in mountainous areas. Authorities have been asked to remain prepared for sudden flooding and other weather-related emergencies. Prime Minister Shehbaz directed officials to use all available resources to protect lives and property. He also stressed the importance of early warning systems and timely emergency measures. The Pakistan Meteorological Department has forecast another strong monsoon spell from July 29. The system is expected to affect Islamabad, upper Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Azad Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan. The upper catchment areas of major rivers may also receive heavy rainfall. The weather system is expected to continue until August 5. The weather department has warned of possible urban flooding. Rising water levels in rivers, hill streams and nullahs are also expected in vulnerable areas. Authorities have urged residents to remain cautious and follow official warnings during the latest spell of rainfall. Meanwhile, the Punjab Home Department has imposed Section 144 across the province for 60 days. The restrictions ban swimming, bathing and unauthorised boating at various water bodies. Pakistan faces heavy monsoon rainfall every year between late June and September. The season frequently causes flooding, landslides, infrastructure damage and loss of life.

  • | |

    Sindh announces August 4 school holiday

      The Sindh School Education and Literacy Department has announced that all public and private educational institutions across the province will remain closed on Tuesday, August 4, 2026, in observance of the Chehlum of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA). According to an official notification issued by the department, the holiday will be observed on 20th Safar 1448 AH, marking the annual commemoration of Chehlum. The decision applies to all government and privately managed schools operating under the administrative control of the School Education and Literacy Department throughout Sindh. The notification stated that the closure was approved following a decision taken during a meeting of the provincial Steering Committee held on February 12, 2026. It confirmed that all educational institutions under the department’s jurisdiction would remain closed on August 4 to facilitate the observance of the religious occasion. Chehlum is observed every year on the 20th of Safar and marks the conclusion of the 40-day mourning period following the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA), his family members, and companions in the historic Battle of Karbala in 680 AD. The occasion holds immense religious significance for Muslims, particularly for those who participate in mourning gatherings and commemorative processions held across the country. As part of the annual observances, mourning processions featuring Alam, Tazia, and Zuljinah are expected to take place in several cities and towns across Sindh. Thousands of devotees traditionally participate in these events to pay tribute to the sacrifices made by Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) and the martyrs of Karbala. In light of the large public gatherings expected during Chehlum, the Sindh Home Department has also announced additional security measures aimed at maintaining law and order throughout the province. A day before the school holiday notification was issued, the Home Department imposed a province-wide ban on pillion riding for the day of Chehlum. The temporary restriction is intended to strengthen security arrangements and minimise the risk of any untoward incidents during the religious processions and gatherings. Authorities have clarified that the ban forms part of a broader security plan implemented each year for major religious occasions. Law enforcement agencies have been directed to ensure strict compliance with the measures while facilitating the safe conduct of mourning events. In a separate notification, the Sindh Home Department also announced the extension of Section 144 across the province for another month. The renewed restrictions came into effect on August 1 and will remain in force as part of ongoing efforts to preserve public order. Under Section 144, several activities have been prohibited throughout Sindh, including wall chalking, public rallies, demonstrations, and the open display of weapons. The restrictions are designed to prevent any activities that could disrupt peace or pose security concerns during the mourning period. The provincial government has urged citizens to cooperate with the authorities and follow the issued guidelines to help ensure that Chehlum observances are conducted peacefully and securely across Sindh.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *