customs seize 55000
| |

Customs seize $55,000 from Dubai-bound family

KARACHI: Customs authorities have recovered a large amount of foreign currency from six passengers travelling from Karachi to Dubai.

According to officials, the passengers belonged to the same family. Authorities recovered $55,000 in US currency and Rs950,000 in Pakistani cash from them.

Officials said the passengers were carrying foreign currency above the limit permitted by the State Bank of Pakistan. The currency had also not been properly declared before their travel.

The authorities took action under the Customs Act 1969 after the undeclared currency was discovered.

Customs officials said the case involved six members of one family. The recovery was made during checks at the airport before the passengers could leave the country.

Officials said the passengers had exceeded the permissible limit for carrying foreign currency abroad. They also failed to meet the required declaration procedures.

Customs authorities stressed that travellers must comply with regulations governing the movement of foreign currency. Passengers carrying amounts above the permitted limits are required to follow the applicable declaration procedures.

The incident has once again highlighted the importance of checks at international airports. Customs officials regularly monitor passengers and baggage to detect undeclared currency and other restricted items.

Authorities said preventing currency smuggling remains a priority. They are maintaining strict checks to identify attempts to move large amounts of undeclared foreign currency out of Pakistan.

Customs officials said they are following a zero-tolerance policy against currency smuggling. They added that action would be taken against anyone found violating the relevant laws.

The recovered amount included both US dollars and Pakistani rupees. The officials did not provide further details about the intended use of the money or the identities of the passengers.

The case also highlights the need for travellers to understand currency rules before leaving Pakistan. Failure to declare currency or carrying amounts beyond the permitted limits can lead to legal action under the applicable laws.

Authorities are continuing proceedings in the case under the Customs Act 1969.

The recovery is among the latest incidents showing the role of airport customs checks in preventing the illegal movement of currency. Officials said such measures are necessary to protect Pakistan’s financial system and enforce foreign exchange regulations.

Customs authorities reiterated that passengers travelling abroad must comply with all currency declaration requirements. They said strict action would continue against attempts to move undeclared currency across Pakistan’s international borders.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point Gaza plan

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected US President Donald Trump’s proposed 15-point plan for Gaza, insisting that Israel will not withdraw its forces until Hamas is fully and genuinely disarmed. Netanyahu made the statement during a cabinet meeting on Sunday. He said Israel would not accept any arrangement that allows Hamas to retain its weapons while Israeli troops are required to leave Gaza. “Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Netanyahu said, adding that the Israeli military would continue operating against threats to its forces and citizens. The dispute has created another obstacle for Trump’s efforts to establish a lasting ceasefire and political settlement in Gaza. Trump’s Board of Peace had previously announced that an agreement had been reached on the complete disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups operating in the territory. Hamas, however, has linked the handover of its heavy weapons to wider conditions. The group has demanded an end to Israeli military operations and a withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. Netanyahu said disarmament must take place before any Israeli military withdrawal. He rejected the possibility of what he described as a symbolic or “fictitious” disarmament process. The Israeli premier said his government was discussing the next steps with US officials. He indicated that some American proposals were acceptable to Israel, while others remained unacceptable. “We know how to stand our ground on these matters,” Netanyahu said. The disagreement represents a major challenge for Trump’s Gaza initiative, which was presented as a framework for ending the conflict and creating conditions for reconstruction. The proposed plan includes the disarmament of Hamas, a phased Israeli military withdrawal and the rebuilding of Gaza. It also envisages the creation of an international Board of Peace to oversee implementation of the agreement. Hamas had previously signalled support for aspects of the disarmament framework. However, the group has maintained that weapons cannot simply be surrendered while Israeli forces remain in Gaza and military operations continue. Israel, meanwhile, has continued military strikes in Gaza despite the initial ceasefire agreement reached last October. Netanyahu is also facing political pressure at home. His far-right coalition partners have strongly opposed concessions that could allow Hamas to remain armed or secure a significant Israeli withdrawal. National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir has rejected the proposed framework and called it unacceptable. With Israeli elections approaching, Netanyahu faces pressure from both domestic allies and international partners. Any major concession on Gaza could create tensions within his governing coalition. The latest rejection therefore puts Trump’s peace initiative under renewed pressure. The central disagreement remains over the sequence of events: Hamas wants Israeli forces to withdraw and military action to end before completing disarmament, while Israel insists that Hamas must first surrender its weapons.

  • | | |

    Rising chip costs may increase phone prices in Pak…

    The rising cost of semiconductor chips in the global market could lead to another increase in mobile phone prices in Pakistan, as smartphone manufacturers continue to face higher production expenses. Industry experts say the global technology sector is experiencing a sharp rise in the cost of key components used in smartphones. The increasing demand for advanced semiconductor chips, particularly those used in artificial intelligence (AI) data centres, has placed significant pressure on chip manufacturers and global supply chains. In addition to AI-related demand, the prices of memory chips, silicon wafers, chip packaging materials and other electronic components have also increased. These factors have raised the overall cost of manufacturing smartphones, forcing companies to review their pricing strategies. The impact is being felt across the international mobile industry. Manufacturers are facing higher production costs, while suppliers are adjusting prices to cope with increased manufacturing expenses. As a result, smartphone companies are expected to pass part of the additional cost on to consumers. Pakistan’s mobile phone market is closely linked to global supply chains because most smartphones and their components are imported. Any increase in international production costs is likely to affect the prices of devices sold in the local market. Industry analysts say consumers may have to pay more for both premium and mid-range smartphones if the trend continues. They added that the exact increase will depend on international market conditions, import costs and currency exchange rates in the coming months. The expected rise would come at a time when consumers are already dealing with higher prices for electronic goods due to inflation and increased import expenses. A further increase in smartphone prices could reduce purchasing power and slow demand in the local market.

  • | | |

    Police officer martyred in gun attack near Jamali …

    A police officer was martyred after unidentified gunmen opened fire on two policemen near Jamali Bridge on Karachi’s Super Highway on Monday. The attack has prompted senior police officials and the Sindh government to order an immediate investigation and intensify efforts to apprehend those responsible. According to police, the two officers were deployed on duty near Jamali Bridge when unidentified assailants riding a motorcycle approached and opened indiscriminate fire. Constable Zaman, who was serving at Site-A Police Station, sustained fatal injuries and died at the scene. His fellow officer survived the attack without injury. Authorities have not yet confirmed the motive behind the shooting, and an investigation is underway to determine whether the incident was a targeted attack or linked to other criminal activity. Police have begun collecting evidence from the crime scene and reviewing available information to identify the suspects. Following the incident, Inspector General (IG) Sindh Javed Alam Odho took immediate notice of the attack and directed the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) East to submit a detailed report without delay. The IG instructed law enforcement officials to ensure that those involved in the attack are arrested and brought to justice as quickly as possible. The police chief also ordered investigators to utilize all available resources, including modern technology, intelligence networks, and investigative tools, to trace and capture the suspects. He further directed police units to strengthen patrolling, checkpoint operations, and snap checking across the area while maintaining strict surveillance of suspicious individuals and vehicles. Separately, Sindh Home Minister Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjar also sought an immediate report from the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) East regarding the incident. He emphasized that every available resource should be employed to identify and arrest the attackers and ensure they face the full force of the law. The home minister instructed police to make effective use of intelligence information, forensic techniques, and modern investigative methods during the operation. He also called for enhanced police patrols, tighter security measures, and increased monitoring of suspicious activity to prevent similar incidents. Paying tribute to the fallen officer, Lanjar said the sacrifice of police personnel would not be forgotten and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to pursuing those responsible. The attack highlights the continued security challenges faced by law enforcement officers in Karachi, where police personnel remain on the frontline against crime and violence. Investigations into the shooting are ongoing, and authorities have yet to announce any arrests.

  • |

    Karan Johar credits Shah Rukh Khan for filmmaking success

    Indian filmmaker Karan Johar marked the occasion of Guru Purnima with an emotional tribute to two people he says transformed his life and career—superstar Shah Rukh Khan and filmmaker Aditya Chopra. Through a heartfelt social media post, Karan reflected on the guidance, encouragement, and unwavering faith they showed in him long before he became one of Bollywood’s most successful directors. Sharing nostalgic photographs with Shah Rukh Khan and Aditya Chopra, Karan looked back on the early days of his journey in the film industry. He recalled a life-changing moment when Aditya Chopra invited him to assist on the iconic film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. At the time, Karan was planning to continue his studies, but Aditya convinced him to stay back and experience filmmaking from behind the scenes. According to Karan, Aditya spoke to him late one night and urged him to work on the film. More importantly, he encouraged Karan to become a director, insisting that he had the talent for it. Karan remembered Aditya telling him that avoiding this path would be one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Those words remained with him and eventually changed the direction of his future. The following morning, Karan discussed the opportunity with his father, the late producer Yash Johar. He asked for one year to work on a film set before making any long-term decisions. Karan shared that his father questioned whether he understood the responsibilities of working on a set. When Karan admitted he did not, Yash Johar offered advice that stayed with him forever. He explained that technical knowledge alone could make someone a producer, but becoming a director required genuine passion and commitment. Karan acknowledged that Aditya Chopra believed in his potential at a time when he lacked confidence in himself. That encouragement gave him the courage to step into filmmaking and eventually direct his first feature film. The filmmaker also reflected on another unforgettable moment involving Shah Rukh Khan. During a trip to Switzerland, the actor confidently told Karan that he would one day become a director and that Shah Rukh himself would star in his debut film. Karan admitted he did not take the promise seriously at the time, assuming it was simply a kind gesture. However, after returning to India, Shah Rukh Khan fulfilled that promise. He stood by Karan and supported him as he prepared for his directorial debut. That support eventually led to the creation of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, the film that launched Karan Johar’s career as a director and became one of Bollywood’s biggest successes. Concluding his Guru Purnima message, Karan expressed deep gratitude to both Shah Rukh Khan and Aditya Chopra. He said their trust, mentorship, and belief helped him overcome self-doubt and pursue storytelling with confidence. Karan added that every success and failure he has experienced in his career has been possible because of the guidance and support they gave him. He described the two as the greatest influences on his journey and thanked them for making it possible for him to tell stories on the big screen.

  • | |

    Bangladeshi model Ridhika Ridhi found dead

    Bangladeshi model and actress Ridhika Ridhi was found dead at her residence in Dhaka on Saturday, according to Bangladeshi media reports. Ridhi was found in the Bashundhara residential area of the capital. Police said she was discovered hanging from a ceiling fan at around 6am. Family members and others reportedly took her to a nearby hospital soon after she was found. Doctors examined her after she arrived at the hospital. The doctors later confirmed that she had died. Mazharul Islam, officer-in-charge of Vatara Police Station, said police received information about the incident and reached the hospital. According to the police official, Ridhi’s body was recovered at the hospital. Authorities have initially suspected that the actress may have died by suicide. However, police have not reached a final conclusion. An investigation is underway to determine what happened before her death. Police are expected to examine the circumstances surrounding the incident. They will also gather relevant information as part of the investigation. Ridhi was active in Bangladesh’s entertainment industry. She worked as a model and also appeared in television dramas.

  • | |

    HSA controversy: representation before president a…

    Islamabad: A representation submitted before the President of Pakistan has requested an early decision in a workplace harassment case involving Dr. Shahzad Ali Khan and Dr. Ayesha Khan, after the applicant claimed the matter remained pending despite the completion of hearings. The application was addressed to the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan through the Secretary to the President, seeking directions for an early decision on Representation No. 18/WO/2026 pending before the Consultant to the President. According to the application, the Federal Ombudsperson for Protection Against Harassment of Women at Workplace (FOSPAH) issued an order on 13 February 2026, dismissing Dr. Shahzad Ali Khan’s complaint and ordering his removal from service. The applicant later filed a representation under Section 9 of the Protection Against Harassment of Women at Workplace Act, 2010. The representation states that both parties appeared before the Consultant to the President and presented their arguments. After hearing the matter, the Consultant reserved the decision on 12 May 2026, but according to the application, the final decision has not yet been announced. The applicant argued that unnecessary delay in deciding the representation is increasing difficulties and hardship, requesting that the matter be decided without further delay according to legal principles of timely justice. The case relates to proceedings under the workplace harassment law involving Dr. Shahzad Ali Khan and Dr. Ayesha Khan. The President Secretariat had earlier issued hearing notices regarding the representation against the FOSPAH order dated 13 February 2026 in Complaint No. FOH HQR H/0341/2025. The President Secretariat scheduled hearings before Mr. Justice (Retired) Irfan Qadir, Consultant Legal Affairs to the President, first on 2 April 2026 and later refixed the matter for 12 May 2026. The notices stated that the matter would be decided on the basis of available record. The dispute has attracted attention because the representation challenges a previous order passed by FOSPAH, while the final decision on the pending matter remains awaited. The available record shows that filing a representation does not itself establish innocence or final relief. The matter remains subject to examination under the applicable legal process, and the final outcome depends on the decision of the competent authority.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *