petrol prices may
|

Petrol prices may improve soon: Petroleum minister

Federal Minister for Petroleum Ali Pervaiz Malik has expressed optimism that petroleum product prices may start moving downward in the coming days, offering potential relief to consumers amid recent price increases.

Speaking to the media in Islamabad, the petroleum minister said that oil tankers previously stuck near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait had now begun moving out, which could help ease pressure on the country’s fuel supply and transportation system.

Ali Pervaiz Malik said the recent upward trend in petroleum prices could soon reverse as supply-related challenges ease. He added that the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) would determine the prices of petroleum products in accordance with the established pricing formula.

The minister also addressed concerns raised by oil tanker owners over freight rates and allocated transportation quotas. He said the government had formed a committee to examine these issues and work toward resolving the problems faced by the tanker industry.

He further explained that the committee would review matters related to tanker rents and quotas and recommend measures to address the concerns of stakeholders.

The minister’s remarks come as consumers closely monitor fuel prices, with any reduction potentially easing transportation costs and providing some relief to households and businesses.

Similar Posts

  • Senate orders probe into customs seizure of 11 trucks

    Islamabad: The Senate Sub Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control ordered an investigation into an alleged media campaign against committee members following a previous meeting on a customs seizure case. The committee also raised serious questions regarding the handling of seized goods, legal procedures and possible weaknesses in the customs monitoring system. The committee, convened by Senator Saifullah Abro, directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to conduct an impartial inquiry into TV channels and media platforms accused of running targeted coverage against Senate members after the committee discussed the seizure of 11 loaded trucks on the motorway. The committee stated that after the previous meeting held on July 20, 2026, an official handout was issued and circulated on different media platforms which allegedly targeting the Chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Interior and other members. Taking notice of the matter, the committee directed the Member FBR to personally examine the handout issued by the FBR media wing and identify the officials responsible for preparing and issuing the material. The FIA was instructed to complete a detailed inquiry and submit a report to the committee regarding the alleged campaign. During the meeting, the committee also raised serious questions about the seizure of 11 trucks and the legal process Customs authorities followed. Senators questioned whether Customs had proper jurisdiction over the motorway operation, stating that motorway operations primarily fall under other relevant authorities while Customs provides assistance when required. The committee expressed concern over different valuation figures linked to the seized trucks, pointing out a major difference involving Rs 22 crore. The owners of the transport company and steel company were directed to provide complete details regarding the matter. The committee also questioned the FIR’s registration in the case and asked why 11 truck drivers were produced before the court after a delay of six days. Members directed the inspector responsible for preparing the FIR to appear before the committee and explain the legal basis and details mentioned in the case. The Deputy Collector of Customs was also asked to explain why certain names mentioned during the site presence were not included in official reports. The Inspector General Motorway Police informed the committee that a Memorandum of Understanding exists between Motorway Police and Customs, allowing operational support for stopping suspicious vehicles. The committee also raised concerns over the system of issuing Consumption Certificates and questioned why manual certificates were still being issued despite official digital procedures. The Convener asked Customs officials whether physical inspections were conducted before issuing such certificates. Officials informed the committee that they did not always conduct physical verification visits and often relied on available information and administrative authority. The committee expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation and stressed the need for stronger verification mechanisms. Another major issue discussed was the handling of tax exempted imports. The committee examined details related to approximately Rs 1,120 billion worth of imports in tax exempted areas and stated that the information provided was incomplete. Officials were directed to provide a detailed breakdown of goods imported, their movement and their sale in local markets under the 2025 and 2026 quota registration system. The committee said that weaknesses in customs monitoring could create opportunities for smuggling, tax losses and misuse of exemptions. Members emphasized that customs posts, dry ports and revenue institutions must operate with greater transparency and accountability. The committee reaffirmed that it would continue investigating issues related to smuggling networks, anti narcotics controls, seized assets and possible revenue leakages.

  • | | |

    Ministers seek PM’s approval for prices of 52 vi…

    ISLAMABAD: The federal health ministry has sought an urgent meeting with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to obtain approval for the pricing of 52 newly registered life-saving medicines. Health Minister Syed Mustafa Kamal and Finance Minister Senator Muhammad Aurangzeb are expected to attend the meeting along with Federal Health Secretary Muhammad Aslam Ghauri and Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) Chief Executive Officer Dr Obaidullah. Officials said the health ministry has contacted the prime minister’s adviser, Tauqeer Shah, requesting an early appointment for the delegation. The Cabinet Committee on Drug Pricing had already approved prices for the 52 medicines during its meeting on July 24. However, the medicines cannot be legally marketed in Pakistan until the federal cabinet gives its final approval. After cabinet approval, DRAP will be able to issue notifications fixing the maximum retail prices of the medicines, allowing pharmaceutical companies to formally launch the products in the regulated market. Health ministry officials said the proposed meeting with the prime minister is aimed at obtaining his support for placing the pricing decision before the federal cabinet at the earliest. The delegation is also expected to raise the issue of hardship cases involving several essential medicines. Manufacturers and importers of these medicines have requested price adjustments, arguing that continued production or imports at the existing prices have become increasingly difficult. A senior health ministry official said the government was concerned because several registered medicines remained unavailable in the regulated market despite their prices having been approved by the drug pricing committee. The official said the delegation would brief the prime minister on the situation and seek immediate action to prevent further shortages. Among the medicines facing supply pressure are essential products such as influenza vaccines and morphine used in cancer treatment, along with other drugs whose manufacturers have reported difficulties in maintaining supplies at existing prices. The Cabinet Committee on Drug Pricing, chaired by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, approved the 52 pricing cases after reviewing recommendations submitted by DRAP’s Drug Pricing Committee and Policy Board. All 52 cases forwarded by the Drug Pricing Committee and endorsed by the DRAP Policy Board were approved by the cabinet committee. However, the committee’s decision is not the final step in the process. The federal cabinet must endorse the recommendations before DRAP can officially notify the maximum retail prices. The medicines covered by the proposed pricing decision are used to treat a range of serious and chronic conditions. They include medicines for cancer, diabetes, haemophilia, Parkinson’s disease, autoimmune disorders, blood-clotting conditions and severe infections. Some are also used in intensive-care units and emergency treatment. Officials believe timely approval could help bring the newly registered medicines into the regulated market and improve availability for patients requiring specialised treatment.

  • EV Station PluZ Introduces Idle Fees To Combat Charger Congestion Across Thailand

    BANGKOK, Thailand — EV Station PluZ, the leading electric vehicle charging network in Thailand operated by PTT Oil and Retail Business Public Company Limited (OR), has announced the implementation of a new idle fee policy designed to penalize drivers who leave their vehicles plugged in after their charging sessions have concluded. The strategic measure aims […]

  • | |

    Zelensky removes army chief Syrskyi after week of …

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has dismissed the country’s commander in chief, Oleksandr Syrskyi, just days after removing popular Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov in a move that triggered widespread street protests across Ukraine. Early speculation that Fedorov’s removal stemmed from tension between him and Syrskyi was soon confirmed. Fedorov, 35, has drawn broad praise for reenergizing the defence ministry, driving reforms across the armed forces and pushing an anti corruption campaign. Syrskyi, 60, has been viewed by many in Ukraine as a Soviet trained commander resistant to sweeping changes within the military. In a farewell message posted on Telegram, Syrskyi defended his record, noting that the army he led through a difficult defensive campaign two years ago now stands on the offensive. He said he was handing over to his successor a force that is not just holding ground but advancing, and expressed hope that the offensive would continue. Zelensky named Mykhailo Drapatyi, 43, a popular and battle tested general, as Syrskyi’s replacement. Drapatyi said on Facebook that he would approach the role with full focus, responsibility and respect for those currently defending the country. He also thanked Syrskyi for his consistent work strengthening the Ukrainian army, saying he had grown up within it professionally. In a video posted late Tuesday, Zelensky thanked Syrskyi for his military leadership, including his role defending Kyiv during the earliest days of Russia’s full scale invasion in 2022. Zelensky also said he met with Fedorov earlier that day and offered him a worthy position within the government, though he did not specify whether Fedorov had accepted. Fedorov had been replaced last week by Yevhenii Khmara, a former senior official at Ukraine’s Security Service. Zelensky said all decisions would be formalized the following day. Fedorov congratulated Drapatyi on his new role, describing the appointment as a new source of hope in the broader fight of free people for freedom and justice, and calling it the voice of change that could no longer be ignored. Fedorov also said he called Syrskyi personally to thank him for defending the Kyiv region and for other significant battles, while adding that Ukraine needs to move even faster and correct past mistakes. Fedorov had only taken over as defence minister in January but quickly earned praise for using data driven analysis to improve battlefield performance. A former minister of digital transformation, he built a volunteer cyber unit known as the IT Army of Ukraine early in the full scale invasion. He later led a successful fundraising initiative called the Army of Drones and introduced elements of gamification into the war effort, creating a system that rewarded Ukrainian military units with credits for striking Russian targets. Fedorov’s removal sparked six days of widespread protests, placing mounting pressure on Zelensky to dismiss Syrskyi. Zelensky appeared to respond to that pressure by replacing him with Drapatyi, viewed as a younger and more innovative commander who is also considered a close friend of Fedorov’s. Fedorov’s clear support for Drapatyi’s appointment is likely to help ease the political tension that built up over the past week. Acting Defence Minister Khmara remains in his position for now, with Zelensky asking him and Drapatyi to develop a new defence strategy addressing issues including reform of the military corps system, weapons supply and drone capabilities. In an op-ed published Monday on the Militarny website, Syrskyi described his relationship with Fedorov as strictly professional and offered an apology if he had offended him. He said decisions surrounding military contracts, procurement and mobilization involve far more complexity than most people recognize, arguing that real progress, not public drama, ultimately determines the outcome of the war. Protesters are expected to continue pushing for Fedorov’s return to a position of genuine authority where he can keep driving innovation in Ukraine’s fight against Russia. Should that happen, Zelensky may succeed in repairing much of the immediate political damage, though many Ukrainians remain unlikely to forgive what they viewed as his original misstep in removing Fedorov in the first place.

  • | | | |

    Gen Aamer Raza honoured with Nishan-i-Imtiaz

    Commander National Strategic Command General Syed Aamer Raza has been conferred the Nishan-i-Imtiaz (Military), one of Pakistan’s highest military honours. President Asif Ali Zardari conferred the prestigious award on General Syed Aamer Raza during a ceremony held at Aiwan-e-Sadr in Islamabad. President Zardari, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir and the chiefs of the armed services attended the ceremony. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, the chairman of the Senate, federal ministers and other senior government officials were also present. The ceremony was held to recognise General Aamer Raza’s services and contributions in his capacity as Commander National Strategic Command. General Raza has previously received two major military honours, the Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) and the Sitara-i-Basalat. Before his latest appointment, he was serving as Chief of General Staff. The position is considered one of the Pakistan Army’s key operational assignments. During his tenure, he was involved in implementing organisational changes following the 27th Constitutional Amendment. He also oversaw restructuring within the military after last year’s conflict with India. The changes included the creation of the Army Rocket Force Command, as part of efforts to strengthen the army’s organisational and operational capabilities. General Raza began his military career as a cavalry officer. He trained at the Officers Training School and was commissioned into the 6th Lancers in 1988. Over the course of his career, he held several important command positions. These included command of an armoured regiment and an armoured brigade. He also commanded an infantry brigade in South Waziristan. Later, he served as the commander of an infantry division. His senior field appointments included command of Lahore-based IV Corps, one of the Pakistan Army’s major corps formations. General Raza has also held a number of important institutional and staff positions. He headed Heavy Industries Taxila, a major defence production organisation. He also served as Director General of Weapons and Equipment. In another senior assignment, he worked as Chief of Staff at II Corps. His professional background has largely focused on conventional military operations, command responsibilities and force development. Unlike some senior officers associated with Pakistan’s strategic institutions, General Raza has not served in the Strategic Plans Division or the Army Strategic Forces Command. He has also not held an appointment directly linked to the country’s strategic missile programme.

  • Thailand to Implement 7 New School Security Measures After Nonthaburi Tragedy

    BANGKOK – Thailand’s lawmakers have swiftly approved seven urgent measures to overhaul safety protocols at schools nationwide. This decisive action follows the tragic shooting that recently occurred at Debsirin Nonthaburi School. Authorities are now mandating strict screening for weapons, illegal items, and drugs before anyone enters school premises. The government’s primary goal is to restore […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *