iran vows continue
| | |

Iran vows to continue strikes as regional tensions rise

Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Secretary Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr said Saturday that Iranian forces would continue their attacks until they defeat their enemies and take what he called revenge for the deaths of innocent children in Minab and Lamerd.

State news agency IRNA quoted Zolghadr as saying Iran would also seek retribution for the US-Israeli war and the killing of schoolchildren. Iranian authorities say an attack on a girls’ school in Minab caused the highest number of casualties, killing 168 people and injuring 95, most of them children.

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said there was no military solution to the growing conflict between Saudi Arabia and Houthi rebels in Yemen. In an interview with the state-run Iran Daily, Araghchi called for dialogue to address tensions involving Yemen, the Bab al-Mandab Strait and other regional disputes.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei also accused the European Union of hypocrisy over its criticism of Iran’s human rights record. Responding to EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, Baghaei alleged that European support for military actions against Iran contradicted the bloc’s stated commitment to human rights. He also accused the EU of failing to condemn attacks that Iran says have targeted civilians and critical infrastructure.

Iranian authorities reported no new US strikes overnight into Saturday, marking a pause after nearly two weeks of attacks. Health Ministry spokesman Hossein Kermanpour described the night as peaceful. According to Iranian figures, the conflict has killed more than 3,400 people in Iran, while casualties have also been reported in Israel and other countries across the region.

In a separate development, Egypt’s foreign minister held talks with his Iranian and Omani counterparts on efforts to reduce regional tensions and strengthen maritime security.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Indian student protest to continue after clashes in Delhi leave nearly 180 injured

    A youth led protest movement in India has vowed to continue demonstrations demanding the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan after violent clashes with police in New Delhi left nearly 180 people injured. The movement, known as the Cockroach Janta Party, cancelled plans for another march to parliament but said protests would continue at the Jantar Mantar demonstration site. Organisers said they wanted to avoid further injuries after Monday’s confrontation with security forces. The campaign began as an online satirical movement but has rapidly grown into one of the biggest public challenges facing Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his third term in office. It has attracted widespread support from young people angered by repeated examination paper leaks and allegations of corruption in India’s education system. Thousands of protesters from Delhi and nearby regions gathered outside parliament on Monday to demand accountability over a national medical entrance examination leak that affected more than two million students earlier this year. The exam had to be conducted again after question papers were leaked, while reports of several student suicides linked to the controversy intensified public outrage. Police used batons and tear gas to disperse demonstrators after violence broke out during the march. According to Delhi Police, more than 118 police and security personnel, along with around 60 protesters, were injured during the clashes. Most of those hurt received medical treatment and were later discharged from hospital. Authorities also detained around 70 protesters and said legal action would be taken against them. Police accused demonstrators of ignoring restrictions on public gatherings and behaving aggressively despite repeated warnings. On Tuesday, around 500 protesters gathered peacefully at Jantar Mantar despite light rain and heavy security across central Delhi. Paramilitary forces remained deployed while barricades were placed on several roads to prevent further unrest. CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke apologised to supporters for the violence they faced during Monday’s protest. He expressed particular concern over female demonstrators who he claimed were assaulted by male police officers during the clashes. Dipke announced that while the movement would continue its campaign, organisers would not attempt another march towards parliament because they feared more young people could be injured. The protest movement gained significant momentum after social activist Sonam Wangchuk joined the campaign with a hunger strike in late June. Wangchuk was later moved to hospital by authorities, a move that further fuelled criticism of the government among supporters. The group’s demands include the resignation of the education minister, the release of Wangchuk and financial compensation for the families of students who reportedly died by suicide following the examination leak. Government officials have indicated they are open to discussions. Health Minister JP Nadda recently met representatives of the movement and requested time to consider their demands. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju also called for calm and said ongoing talks should not be disrupted. Opposition parties criticised the government’s handling of the protests and accused authorities of using excessive force against peaceful demonstrators. Leaders of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party rejected those claims and argued that the violence appeared to have been deliberately provoked. Political analysts believe that even if negotiations reduce immediate tensions, the wider frustration among India’s younger generation is unlikely to disappear. Concerns over unemployment, repeated examination scandals and growing distrust in public institutions continue to drive dissatisfaction, making youth unrest an increasingly important political issue for the government.

  • |

    Idaho restaurant shooting leaves three dead

    IDAHO: A shooting at a busy fast-food restaurant in the US state of Idaho left three people dead, including the suspected gunman, and injured seven others, authorities said. The attack occurred at an In-N-Out Burger restaurant in Twin Falls on Saturday, triggering a major emergency response as police, paramedics and other first responders rushed to the scene. According to local police, the suspect opened fire inside or near the restaurant before the incident came to an end. Officials later confirmed that the gunman was among those killed. The identities of the victims have not yet been released as authorities continue notifying their families. Police Chief Matthew Hicks said officers believe there was only one attacker and assured residents that there is no ongoing threat to the community. Investigators are working to establish the motive behind the shooting and determine the sequence of events that led to the violence. Witnesses described scenes of panic as gunfire erupted. One eyewitness said he saw an armed man carrying a rifle before shots were exchanged. Restaurant employees also rushed to help injured victims, with one worker reportedly pulling a wounded woman to safety while waiting for emergency medical teams. Seven injured people were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials have not yet released updates on their conditions. Law enforcement agencies have secured the area and launched a full investigation. Detectives are examining evidence, reviewing surveillance footage and interviewing witnesses to understand what triggered the deadly attack. Public officials praised the swift response of emergency services, saying their actions helped secure the scene and prevent further casualties. Authorities have urged anyone with additional information or video footage to assist investigators as the inquiry continues.

  • |

    Women allege rape, abuse at UK Army teen college

    Four former female recruits have accused the UK’s Army Foundation College (AFC) in Harrogate of fostering a culture of sexual abuse, harassment and misogyny, with one woman alleging she was raped by several fellow recruits when she was 17 years old. The women, who attended the military training college over the past five years, shared their experiences publicly for the first time. They said they faced sexual violence, harassment and degrading treatment while undergoing training at the college, which prepares teenagers for military service. One former recruit said she accepted an invitation to another recruit’s room, believing it was harmless. She alleged that several male recruits sexually assaulted and raped her over the course of several hours. The traumatic incident forced her to leave the Army within weeks, saying she could no longer continue her training after the attack. Another former recruit alleged that a fellow trainee trapped her inside a room before sexually assaulting her. She said she managed to escape after struggling with the attacker. A third former recruit’s mother said her daughter endured repeated sexual harassment throughout her training and even blocked her dormitory door at night because the room’s lock was broken and she feared male recruits entering. A fourth woman claimed some instructors openly made sexist remarks, rated female recruits based on their appearance and entered female dormitories without warning. She alleged that such behaviour encouraged disrespectful attitudes toward women among male trainees. Official data obtained through freedom of information requests revealed that police received 16 reports of sexual offences linked to the college during the year ending in June. The reported incidents included allegations of sexual assault, exposure and voyeurism. Separate Ministry of Defence figures showed that 176 complaints involving inappropriate sexual behaviour were recorded at the college between January 2018 and June 2025. Most complaints involved junior soldiers, while dozens concerned permanent staff members. The British Army described the allegations as extremely serious and distressing, stating that criminal or unacceptable behaviour has no place in the armed forces. It said several reforms have been introduced to improve victim support and strengthen the handling of serious offences, including specialist investigations conducted outside the normal chain of command. The Army also said it encourages anyone who has experienced or witnessed misconduct to report it and maintained that the college remains committed to providing a professional, safe and supportive environment for all recruits. However, concerns have grown over the safety of young recruits following previous convictions involving Army personnel for sexual offences and wider reports highlighting sexual misconduct within the armed forces.

  • | |

    Cockroach’ protests end in stunning victory

    India’s Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned on Saturday after days of youth-led protests over alleged irregularities in major entrance examinations. The resignation came as thousands of young people gathered in New Delhi and other parts of the country under the banner of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP). The protesters had demanded Pradhan’s removal and major reforms to the country’s examination system. They also raised wider concerns about unemployment and limited opportunities for young people. Pradhan confirmed that he had submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In a statement, he said he was deeply concerned about the events of the previous 10 days. He said the decision was not about personal prestige. He added that India’s youth were an important strength of the country and said efforts were needed to prevent young people from becoming trapped in uncertainty. The announcement immediately triggered celebrations at the main protest site at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke told the cheering crowd, “We have done it.” Hundreds of protesters responded with loud applause and celebrations. The CJP later announced that its demands had been accepted following talks with the government. It said the protests would therefore be called off. The movement had focused on alleged irregularities in examinations, including concerns over the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). Protesters demanded greater transparency and accountability in the examination system. They also called for compensation for people affected by examination irregularities. Another demand was the withdrawal of legal cases against protesters. The government held two rounds of talks with CJP representatives during the week. However, the discussions initially failed to produce an agreement. Pradhan submitted his resignation before a third round of talks was scheduled. The protests also faced a strong response from police. Authorities used tear gas and batons when demonstrators attempted to march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament. The campaign gradually expanded beyond examination issues. Protesters also highlighted unemployment, lack of opportunities for young people and broader concerns about governance. The demonstrations became one of the most significant challenges to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government since his re-election in 2024. India’s opposition leader Rahul Gandhi also backed the protesters. He described Pradhan’s resignation as a major development and urged Modi to apologise to students and address their concerns. Gandhi also called for action against those accused of violence against students during the demonstrations. The resignation brought an emotional response from protesters. One 27-year-old participant who visited the protest site for the first time on Saturday described the atmosphere as highly charged, particularly after the minister’s resignation.

  • | |

    Trump halts Iran strike, pushes for deal

    US President Donald Trump has announced that he is postponing plans for a new military strike against Iran, saying he is giving diplomacy another opportunity to resolve tensions over Tehran’s nuclear programme and restore navigation through the Strait of Hormuz. In a statement posted on his social media platform, Trump said Iran, along with other countries in the Middle East, had requested additional time to finalize an agreement aimed at reopening the strategic waterway and addressing international concerns over Iran’s nuclear activities. Trump said he had agreed to suspend military action for the time being, provided that negotiations lead to a rapid and meaningful agreement. He added that the decision was made in the interest of regional stability, global security and the future prosperity of Iran. He also claimed that Israel supports the diplomatic approach, although Israeli officials had not publicly commented on the statement. Despite the temporary pause, tensions remain high across the region. Iranian officials warned that any military action by the United States or its allies would trigger an immediate and decisive response. Tehran maintained that it would defend its sovereignty against any form of aggression. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi held separate telephone conversations with senior officials from Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia to discuss the rapidly evolving regional situation. During the talks, he warned that any attack on Iran would have serious consequences for regional peace and stability. Araqchi also stressed that Iran would respond proportionately if the United States, Israel or any regional country participated in military action against Iranian territory. The discussions focused on preventing further escalation and encouraging diplomatic efforts to avoid a wider conflict. Meanwhile, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also held talks with President Trump to seek clarification on Washington’s plans regarding Iran. Although officials confirmed that the conversation took place, no further details were released. Iranian media affiliated with the country’s security establishment warned that attacks on Iran’s energy infrastructure could result in retaliatory strikes against oil and gas facilities across the Gulf region. The warning has heightened concerns among energy producers and international markets. President Trump acknowledged that negotiations remain difficult and admitted that his confidence in reaching an agreement has weakened. However, he said his administration continues to pursue diplomatic engagement before considering further military action. Senior US officials remain involved in efforts to secure a negotiated settlement. The conflict has already had a significant impact on global energy markets. Fighting between US, Israeli and Iranian forces has disrupted regional stability and increased uncertainty over international oil supplies. The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most important shipping routes for crude oil exports. Continued security threats have reduced commercial shipping through the passage, raising concerns over global energy supplies and increasing pressure on oil prices. Analysts say prolonged instability in the Gulf could further affect international markets if diplomatic efforts fail. Rising oil prices have already placed additional economic pressure on many countries dependent on imported energy. Regional security concerns have also expanded beyond the Strait of Hormuz. Maritime authorities reported separate incidents involving commercial vessels near Oman, including damage to a tanker after it was struck by an unidentified projectile. Another vessel reported a nearby explosion but escaped without damage.

  • |

    Police arrest suspect in the murder of British woman

      Authorities in Greece have detained a suspect in connection with the brutal murder of 38-year-old British national Elizabeth Jane Ross, whose body was discovered inside a suitcase in Athens. The case has attracted significant public attention due to the disturbing circumstances surrounding the crime and the victim’s humanitarian work. According to police, Elizabeth Jane Ross had been visiting Greece for several years and was well known for her involvement with organizations that supported refugees and other vulnerable communities. Through her humanitarian efforts, she worked with various charities and non-governmental organizations dedicated to assisting people in need. Friends and colleagues described her as a compassionate and caring individual who devoted much of her time to helping disadvantaged groups. The investigation began after a homeless man discovered a suspicious suitcase in a car park in the Kypseli district of Athens on 18 July. After noticing the abandoned luggage, he alerted the authorities, who responded to the scene and opened the suitcase. Police were shocked to find the body of a woman inside. The victim was later identified as Elizabeth Jane Ross through official procedures. Following the discovery, Greek police launched an extensive investigation involving forensic experts, detectives, and crime scene specialists. Investigators collected evidence from the suitcase and surrounding area in an effort to determine the identity of the perpetrator and reconstruct the events leading up to the murder. According to reprts, the suspect is a 26-year-old Afghan national who was taken into custody in central Athens. Police believe he may have been directly involved in the killing of Elizabeth Jane Ross. During the initial stages of

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *