indian student protest
|

Indian student protest to continue after clashes in Delhi leave nearly 180 injured

A youth led protest movement in India has vowed to continue demonstrations demanding the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan after violent clashes with police in New Delhi left nearly 180 people injured.

The movement, known as the Cockroach Janta Party, cancelled plans for another march to parliament but said protests would continue at the Jantar Mantar demonstration site. Organisers said they wanted to avoid further injuries after Monday’s confrontation with security forces.

The campaign began as an online satirical movement but has rapidly grown into one of the biggest public challenges facing Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his third term in office. It has attracted widespread support from young people angered by repeated examination paper leaks and allegations of corruption in India’s education system.

Thousands of protesters from Delhi and nearby regions gathered outside parliament on Monday to demand accountability over a national medical entrance examination leak that affected more than two million students earlier this year. The exam had to be conducted again after question papers were leaked, while reports of several student suicides linked to the controversy intensified public outrage.

Police used batons and tear gas to disperse demonstrators after violence broke out during the march. According to Delhi Police, more than 118 police and security personnel, along with around 60 protesters, were injured during the clashes. Most of those hurt received medical treatment and were later discharged from hospital.

Authorities also detained around 70 protesters and said legal action would be taken against them. Police accused demonstrators of ignoring restrictions on public gatherings and behaving aggressively despite repeated warnings.

On Tuesday, around 500 protesters gathered peacefully at Jantar Mantar despite light rain and heavy security across central Delhi. Paramilitary forces remained deployed while barricades were placed on several roads to prevent further unrest.

CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke apologised to supporters for the violence they faced during Monday’s protest. He expressed particular concern over female demonstrators who he claimed were assaulted by male police officers during the clashes. Dipke announced that while the movement would continue its campaign, organisers would not attempt another march towards parliament because they feared more young people could be injured.

The protest movement gained significant momentum after social activist Sonam Wangchuk joined the campaign with a hunger strike in late June. Wangchuk was later moved to hospital by authorities, a move that further fuelled criticism of the government among supporters.

The group’s demands include the resignation of the education minister, the release of Wangchuk and financial compensation for the families of students who reportedly died by suicide following the examination leak.

Government officials have indicated they are open to discussions. Health Minister JP Nadda recently met representatives of the movement and requested time to consider their demands. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju also called for calm and said ongoing talks should not be disrupted.

Opposition parties criticised the government’s handling of the protests and accused authorities of using excessive force against peaceful demonstrators. Leaders of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party rejected those claims and argued that the violence appeared to have been deliberately provoked.

Political analysts believe that even if negotiations reduce immediate tensions, the wider frustration among India’s younger generation is unlikely to disappear. Concerns over unemployment, repeated examination scandals and growing distrust in public institutions continue to drive dissatisfaction, making youth unrest an increasingly important political issue for the government.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Kelly Clarkson reveals why she is happy staying single

    Kelly Clarkson has shared a candid update about her personal life, revealing that she is happy being single and has no plans to rush into a new relationship. During her residency show at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas on Friday, July 24, the Grammy-winning singer spoke honestly with the audience about life after heartbreak, explaining why she appreciates the peace that comes with being on her own. Addressing questions she often receives about her relationship status, Clarkson said many people assume she should be dating again. However, she explained that watching the challenges some couples face has only reinforced her decision to enjoy single life. “People are like, ‘Why are you single?’” Clarkson told the crowd, adding that there are plenty of examples that make being single seem like the better option. She joked that she is grateful she can return home without dealing with unnecessary relationship drama. The singer also reflected on the realities of maintaining a long-term romance. According to Clarkson, one of the biggest challenges for couples is preventing a relationship from becoming repetitive over time. She explained that keeping the excitement alive requires continuous effort, saying partners need to keep dating each other and find ways to preserve the sense of magic that often exists at the beginning of a relationship. Without that effort, she suggested, relationships can become routine and lose their spark. Clarkson’s remarks offered fans a rare glimpse into her personal life, as she has largely kept her romantic life private in recent years. The 44-year-old singer was previously married to talent manager Brandon Blackstock. The pair began dating in 2012 and married the following year in an intimate ceremony at Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee. During their marriage, they welcomed two children together—a daughter born in 2014 and a son born in 2016. After nearly seven years of marriage, Clarkson filed for divorce in June 2020, citing irreconcilable differences. The divorce became one of the most closely followed celebrity separations, involving legal disputes over finances and custody before it was finalized. In August 2025, Blackstock died following a battle with cancer, marking another emotional chapter in Clarkson’s life. Since then, the singer has remained focused on her family, music career and television work while keeping her personal relationships out of the spotlight. Clarkson first rose to fame after winning the inaugural season of

  • | |

    Rajab Butt claims his net worth has crossed Rs1 billion

    LAHORE, July 26: Pakistani YouTuber and social media personality Rajab Butt has claimed that his net worth has crossed Rs1 billion, saying he officially became a billionaire last year. Butt made the claim during a podcast appearance where he was asked whether he considered himself a millionaire or a billionaire. The YouTuber responded by asking the host whether she understood the difference between the two terms. After the host confirmed that she did, Butt revealed that he had crossed the billionaire mark in terms of his wealth. According to Butt, his net worth has exceeded Rs100 crore, which is equivalent to more than Rs1 billion. He attributed his financial success to years of hard work and his career as a digital content creator. Butt has built a large following on YouTube and other social media platforms in a relatively short period. His content has also generated significant attention because of his publicly displayed lifestyle. The YouTuber has frequently shared glimpses of an expensive lifestyle with his followers. His social media presence has included luxury items, costly watches, international trips and lavish celebrations. His wedding also attracted considerable attention online and further increased public interest in his personal life and financial status. Butt said his reported wealth was not achieved overnight. He described it as the result of around 12 years of hard work. The rise of creators like Butt highlights the growing financial potential of Pakistan’s digital content industry. YouTube, brand promotions and other online platforms have created new opportunities for creators to build businesses and generate substantial income. However, Butt’s net-worth claim is based on his own statement during the podcast. No independent financial records were provided in the discussion to verify the figure.

  • | |

    Imran Khan asks Akbar S Babar to reunite former PT…

    PTI founder Imran Khan has sent an important message to former party colleague and founding member Akbar S Babar from jail. According to Babar, Khan has asked him to play a role in bringing together the party’s early members. He has also been asked to reach out to disgruntled leaders and workers. Babar confirmed that he received the message through another longtime associate of the PTI founder who is currently in jail. The message reportedly focuses on reconnecting with people who were associated with the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf during its early years. It also includes party members and workers who later became unhappy with the party leadership or distanced themselves from it. Babar said the message reflects Khan’s desire to bring former colleagues closer together. The aim is to create greater unity among PTI’s old associates and workers. The former PTI leader also shared another significant part of the message. He said Imran Khan told him that after being released from jail, he would first visit Babar’s home. The message is being viewed in the context of PTI’s efforts to maintain political unity. The party has faced internal disagreements and differences among several of its former and current leaders. Akbar S Babar was among the founding members of PTI. He later developed serious differences with the party leadership. His disagreements with the party eventually led to a long-running legal and political dispute. Babar has remained critical of several aspects of PTI’s internal affairs. However, the latest message indicates a possible attempt to reconnect with the party’s early associates. The reported communication also highlights the importance of PTI’s original members and workers. Many of them played a role in establishing the party during its early political years. According to Babar, the message from jail was clear. He has been asked to help bridge differences and bring people together. The development could become significant if former leaders and workers respond positively to the outreach. It may also open the possibility of renewed communication between PTI’s current leadership and some of its former associates. For now, Babar has publicly confirmed receiving the message. Further details about the proposed efforts to reunite former PTI members have not been disclosed.

  • | |

    Police chief: Missing weapon may crack Mir Raza my…

    Karachi Police Chief Azad Khan has said that investigations into the death of Mir Raza are continuing from every possible angle, adding that recovering the missing weapon could be crucial in determining what happened. Speaking to the media, Azad Khan said the initial medical report was prepared by a doctor working under the police surgeon. The medico-legal officer (MLO) examined the body and submitted the report to the police surgeon, who kept it for two days before it was released. He questioned why any concerns regarding the report were not addressed immediately. According to the police chief, the police surgeon neither personally examined the body nor conducted the medical examination, and any reservations about the findings should have been communicated to investigators without delay. Azad Khan said police based their early investigation on the preliminary medico-legal report provided by the MLO. He added that confirmation of gunpowder residue on the deceased’s hands was also essential to the investigation. The police chief said the Crime Scene Unit collected evidence from the scene and handed all relevant material over to the medical team. He also questioned why the medical team did not visit the crime scene, noting that in many countries medical experts inspect the scene themselves, particularly in high-profile cases. He said that if Mir Raza’s family requests it, another medical examination can be conducted. Meanwhile, investigators are looking into the disappearance of the weapon believed to be linked to the case. Azad Khan also confirmed that police are searching for a waste collector seen in a video recorded near the scene. He said locating the missing weapon could help investigators resolve key questions surrounding Mir Raza’s death. The investigation remains ongoing, with police continuing to gather evidence and examine all possible leads.

  • | | |

    Sharif promises motorways, international airport f…

    MIRPUR, Azad Jammu and Kashmir: Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) President and former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced a series of major development promises for Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) while addressing a large public gathering in Mirpur. He said the PML-N would focus on improving infrastructure, healthcare, education and public transport if it returned to power in the region. During his speech, Nawaz Sharif also made a light-hearted political remark directed at Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari. He said Bilawal should not take his comments personally, adding that political rivalry should remain limited to healthy debate rather than conflict. Referring to the venue of the rally, he jokingly said Mirpur should not be confused with Kashmore or Mirpur Khas, stressing that it is Mirpur in Kashmir. The former prime minister said Kashmir has always held a special place in his heart and described Azad Kashmir as his “first home” rather than a second home. He said he shared a strong emotional bond with the people of the region and had always worked for their welfare during his time in office. Nawaz Sharif said Mirpur is one of the most beautiful cities in Azad Kashmir but added that its development had slowed after his government left power. He questioned what later governments had done for the people of Azad Kashmir and claimed that most major development projects in the region were initiated during the PML-N government. He said he had come to Mirpur with a clear development agenda and a comprehensive manifesto for Azad Kashmir. According to him, every major project completed in Pakistan and AJK carries the stamp of the PML-N’s performance and commitment. Speaking about future plans, Nawaz Sharif said education would remain the party’s highest priority. He stressed that young people must be provided with quality educational opportunities so they can contribute to the country’s progress. He also announced plans to strengthen the healthcare system in Azad Kashmir. He said more specialised hospitals for cancer treatment and heart diseases should be established to ensure patients receive advanced medical care without travelling to distant cities. Highlighting ongoing initiatives, Nawaz Sharif said Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz had arranged to provide modern electric buses for the people of Azad Kashmir. He added that 10 mobile hospitals would also be sent to improve healthcare services, especially in remote and underserved areas. The former prime minister promised that if the PML-N formed the government in Azad Kashmir, it would launch large-scale infrastructure projects. These include the construction of new motorways and an expressway linking Murree with Muzaffarabad to improve regional connectivity, boost tourism and support economic growth. Nawaz Sharif also pledged to personally visit every part of Azad Kashmir if his party received the public’s mandate. He promised to expand natural gas facilities to homes across Mirpur, saying better public services were essential for improving the quality of life.

  • |

    Eight Palestinians killed in fresh Gaza strikes

    At least eight Palestinians were killed in fresh Israeli airstrikes across the Gaza Strip on Sunday, according to Gaza’s civil defence authorities, as violence continued despite renewed diplomatic efforts aimed at restoring a ceasefire. Officials said the latest strikes targeted several locations across the enclave, including Deir el-Balah, Khan Younis and Gaza City. Among the victims were a man and a woman who were killed when an Israeli helicopter struck a residential apartment in southern Deir el-Balah. Additional attacks claimed the lives of three people in Khan Younis and another person in Gaza City’s Old City. The latest escalation came just days after the United States unveiled a new roadmap intended to revive the stalled Gaza ceasefire agreement. The proposed plan reportedly includes steps toward Hamas’ disarmament and a phased Israeli military withdrawal from the territory. However, both sides remain divided over the conditions for implementing the proposal. Hamas has maintained that it will only place its weapons under supervision after Israeli military operations end and troops withdraw in accordance with the previously agreed ceasefire framework. Israeli officials, meanwhile, have insisted that any withdrawal depends on what they describe as the complete and genuine disarmament of Hamas. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not publicly commented on the latest proposal, while some members of his coalition have rejected the initiative and called for continued military operations against Hamas. Diplomatic contacts are continuing in an effort to reduce tensions and revive negotiations. Former Palestinian official Mohammed Dahlan said discussions involving senior US representatives were ongoing and focused on securing an end to the fighting, although no breakthrough has yet been announced. Meanwhile, another Israeli strike reportedly destroyed a medical supply warehouse in central Gaza, causing extensive damage and raising further concerns over the humanitarian situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *