france wildfires force
| |

France wildfires force 150,000 to evacuate amid he…

A relentless heatwave has triggered massive wildfires across southwestern France, forcing around 150,000 people to evacuate as flames swept through forests and threatened homes in one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations.

French authorities ordered the complete evacuation of Cap Ferret, a renowned coastal resort, after fast-moving fires engulfed nearly 47,000 acres of forest. Officials said more than 100 homes had been damaged as firefighters continued battling the blaze under extreme weather conditions.

The rapidly spreading fire has prompted an extensive emergency response, with President Emmanuel Macron directing the French military to assist firefighting teams in containing the flames and protecting nearby communities.

The crisis has also spread beyond France. In neighboring Spain, authorities declared the country’s first-ever national emergency over a wildfire near Madrid, highlighting the growing impact of the ongoing heatwave across southern Europe.

According to media reports, the Spanish wildfire has destroyed more than 43 homes, while approximately 19,000 residents living in mountainous areas west of Madrid were ordered to evacuate. More than 2,000 emergency personnel, supported by 10 firefighting aircraft, have been deployed to contain the flames.

Officials warned that soaring temperatures, dry vegetation and strong winds have created ideal conditions for wildfires, making firefighting operations increasingly difficult.

The latest disaster comes only weeks after France experienced one of its deadliest heatwaves in recent years. According to the country’s national public health agency, 21,674 deaths were recorded between June 17 and July 2, compared with an expected 15,910 deaths under normal conditions.

The agency said the period saw 5,764 excess deaths—an increase of 36% above normal mortality levels—underscoring the severe health impact of prolonged extreme heat.

Climate experts have repeatedly warned that rising global temperatures are increasing the frequency and intensity of heatwaves and wildfires across Europe. As emergency crews continue to battle the blazes in France and Spain, authorities remain on high alert, warning residents that worsening weather conditions could fuel further fires in the coming days.

Similar Posts

  • |

    25 US states challenge Trump’s new tariffs in court

    NEW YORK: A coalition of 25 US states has filed a lawsuit against the administration of President Donald Trump, seeking to block a new round of tariffs imposed on imports from dozens of countries. The legal challenge was submitted to the US Court of International Trade in New York, where the states asked the court to suspend the tariffs, declare them unlawful and order the federal government to refund businesses that have already paid the import duties. The coalition argued that the administration exceeded its legal authority by introducing sweeping tariffs under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974. According to the lawsuit, the investigations cited by the administration as justification for the tariffs were used as a pretext to impose broad trade restrictions. The disputed tariffs, ranging from 10% to 12.5%, were introduced last month and apply to imports from 60 trading partners, covering a significant share of goods entering the United States. The Trump administration has defended the measures, saying they are intended to address concerns related to forced labour in international supply chains and to protect American trade interests. The White House maintains that the tariffs were imposed within the government’s legal authority and remain an important tool for securing fair trade practices. A White House spokesperson said the administration is using powers granted under US trade law to respond to what it considers unfair policies and practices affecting American commerce. Officials also argued that Section 301 tariffs have previously withstood legal scrutiny and continue to be a lawful instrument of trade policy. The lawsuit follows earlier legal disputes over President Trump’s tariff policies. Previous tariffs introduced under emergency economic powers were struck down by the US Supreme Court earlier this year, prompting the administration to replace them with the current Section 301 measures after a temporary global tariff expired in July. The states involved in the case contend that the latest tariffs are arbitrary and unlawful, arguing that while they support efforts to combat forced labour worldwide, such concerns cannot be used to justify what they describe as an illegal expansion of presidential tariff powers.

  • | |

    Egypt could join expanding Mecca Agreement, says E…

    Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Egypt could become part of the Mecca Agreement in the future, describing the framework as open to participation by additional countries. Speaking to Arab media, Erdogan said the agreement provides for collective action if any participating member comes under external attack. He suggested that the inclusion of Egypt could further broaden the scope of the regional arrangement. Erdogan also said Turkey’s immediate priority is not the European Union, arguing that Europe is currently facing serious shortcomings. He further stressed the need to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, warning that keeping the strategic waterway closed for an extended period would serve no country’s interests.

  • | | | |

    Gen Aamer Raza honoured with Nishan-i-Imtiaz

    Commander National Strategic Command General Syed Aamer Raza has been conferred the Nishan-i-Imtiaz (Military), one of Pakistan’s highest military honours. President Asif Ali Zardari conferred the prestigious award on General Syed Aamer Raza during a ceremony held at Aiwan-e-Sadr in Islamabad. President Zardari, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir and the chiefs of the armed services attended the ceremony. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, the chairman of the Senate, federal ministers and other senior government officials were also present. The ceremony was held to recognise General Aamer Raza’s services and contributions in his capacity as Commander National Strategic Command. General Raza has previously received two major military honours, the Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) and the Sitara-i-Basalat. Before his latest appointment, he was serving as Chief of General Staff. The position is considered one of the Pakistan Army’s key operational assignments. During his tenure, he was involved in implementing organisational changes following the 27th Constitutional Amendment. He also oversaw restructuring within the military after last year’s conflict with India. The changes included the creation of the Army Rocket Force Command, as part of efforts to strengthen the army’s organisational and operational capabilities. General Raza began his military career as a cavalry officer. He trained at the Officers Training School and was commissioned into the 6th Lancers in 1988. Over the course of his career, he held several important command positions. These included command of an armoured regiment and an armoured brigade. He also commanded an infantry brigade in South Waziristan. Later, he served as the commander of an infantry division. His senior field appointments included command of Lahore-based IV Corps, one of the Pakistan Army’s major corps formations. General Raza has also held a number of important institutional and staff positions. He headed Heavy Industries Taxila, a major defence production organisation. He also served as Director General of Weapons and Equipment. In another senior assignment, he worked as Chief of Staff at II Corps. His professional background has largely focused on conventional military operations, command responsibilities and force development. Unlike some senior officers associated with Pakistan’s strategic institutions, General Raza has not served in the Strategic Plans Division or the Army Strategic Forces Command. He has also not held an appointment directly linked to the country’s strategic missile programme.

  • |

    Cuban president accuses US of attempting to seize island amid economic pressure

    Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has denounced Washington’s escalating pressure campaign against Cuba as a “genocidal policy”, alleging that the United States is seeking to “appropriate” the nation. Speaking in Pinar del Río during the 73rd anniversary of the Moncada Barracks assault, Díaz-Canel stated that “Cuba is today waging a historic battle … against the walls of a genocidal policy whose objective is to suffocate an entire people in order to appropriate the country”. He further described the US blockade as “a weapon of war” that “causes deaths” and accused Washington of attempting to trigger a “social explosion with the sole aim of installing governments aligned with its imperial interests”. The sharp condemnation comes amid severe energy shortages, rolling blackouts, and financial distress brought on by expanded US sanctions, an oil blockade, and recent restrictions targeting Cuba’s overseas medical missions program. While Washington maintains that Cuba poses a regional security threat, Díaz-Canel called for national unity and the implementation of recent economic reforms, reaffirming that Cuba’s political model remains non-negotiable.

  • | | |

    AJK election first phase concludes, vote counting …

    Polling for the first phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections concluded on Monday, with vote counting now underway across 13 constituencies in Mirpur Division. The first phase covered three districts — Mirpur, Kotli and Bhimber. Polling was initially scheduled to end at 5pm but was extended by one hour. Voting continued until 6pm to provide voters with additional time to cast their ballots. More than 1.4 million registered voters were eligible to participate in the first phase. The Election Commission had established 2,454 polling stations across the three districts. Of these, 597 polling stations were set up across four constituencies in Mirpur district. Kotli had 1,107 polling stations across six constituencies, while 608 polling stations were established in three constituencies of Bhimber. A total of 296 candidates, including nominees from the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Istehkam-e-Pakistan Party and independent candidates, contested the 13 seats. Polling disrupted at some stations Although polling remained largely peaceful, some polling stations reported disruptions. In Kotli’s Aghaar Colony, voting continued at Polling Station 38. However, polling could not begin at Stations 36 and 37 because voters did not arrive. PPP AJK Election Cell in-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor claimed that disturbances occurred at polling stations 119, 120 and 121 in LA-5 Barnala. He said polling was affected for some time. According to Shakoor, voting resumed after security forces reached the area. However, he said the polling process remained slow. The PPP also established a central election monitoring cell in Islamabad. Senior party leaders, including Sherry Rehman, Nadeem Afzal Chan, Shazia Marri, Sharjeel Memon and Saeed Ghani, monitored developments and remained in contact with election officials, district administrations and party candidates. Former National Assembly speaker Raja Pervez Ashraf expressed concern over alleged irregularities at different polling stations. He called for additional security personnel at sensitive locations, including Gulpur, Thurochi and Muhajir Camp. He urged the Election Commission to immediately and impartially investigate all complaints and ensure free, fair and transparent elections. Political leaders urge voters to participate PML-N candidate Chaudhry Tariq Farooq cast his vote at Polling Station 161 in Bhimber’s LA-7 constituency. Speaking after voting, Farooq said voter turnout was expected to be higher in rural areas than in cities. He also expressed confidence in the security and election arrangements in Bhimber. PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, accompanied by his sister Aseefa Bhutto Zardari, appealed to voters in Mirpur to participate in the elections. In a video message, Bilawal urged people to leave their homes and exercise their right to vote if they wanted Kashmir’s future to be decided by its people. He also asked voters to support PPP candidates. PPP Karachi Division President Saeed Ghani described the election as a contest between the genuine issues of Kashmiris and what he called false promises. Ghani said Kashmiris needed political rights, ownership rights and employment opportunities. He criticised the focus on providing a limited number of buses, saying development should address wider public needs. PPP leader Nadeem Afzal Chan also raised concerns about alleged federal interference and the use of government resources during the elections. He demanded that the polls remain free, fair and transparent. He also called on the federal government to avoid any involvement that could influence the electoral process. PPP spokesperson Shazia Marri said the people of Kashmir would deliver their verdict through their votes. She said the party’s election symbol, the arrow, represented hope for the people of Mirpur. Police praise peaceful polling AJK police said the first phase of polling remained peaceful across Mirpur Division. A spokesperson for the AJK police chief said voters had rejected calls for unrest and instead chose to exercise their democratic right. Voters began arriving at polling stations soon after voting opened at 8am. AJK Inspector General of Police Liaquat Ali Malik thanked residents for cooperating with law enforcement agencies and helping maintain peace during the election. He warned that no individual, including political workers, would be allowed to take the law into their own hands. Mirpur Commissioner Raja Tahir Mumtaz and DIG Kamran Ali also visited Ward 16/17 in LA-3 to review the polling arrangements. The commissioner said polling had remained peaceful across Mirpur, Kotli and Bhimber. He urged voters to come out without fear and assured them that the administration had made arrangements for a secure environment. Security arrangements strengthened Authorities made extensive security arrangements for the elections. AJK Chief Election Commissioner Justice (retd) Ghulam Mustafa Mughal said legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to disrupt the voting process. AJK Chief Secretary Khushal Khan said state institutions were fully prepared to maintain peace during the elections. He said the people had rejected attempts to create disorder and demonstrated confidence in the democratic process.

  • |

    Rani Mukerji honoured in Melbourne after three decades in film

    Rani Mukerji continues adding accolades to her three-decade-long career. On Friday, August 14, the 48-year-old actress received a Special Citation for Excellence in Acting at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne. The honour recognised Mukerji’s broader contribution to Indian cinema, particularly her role in bringing Hindi-language stories to international audiences. Organisers specifically highlighted her work in socially significant films, alongside her humanitarian efforts. Reflecting on the milestone, Mukerji admitted she never imagined her work would resonate so strongly in a country as far from home as Australia. She said stepping into Bollywood as a young girl came with no expectation of this kind of global reach. She expressed gratitude that her films and characters had carried her across oceans over the years. According to her, being embraced so warmly by Australian audiences remains one of the most meaningful parts of her career. Mukerji described entertaining audiences worldwide as the greatest gift her profession has given her. She said Australia has consistently welcomed both her and Indian cinema with genuine warmth over the years. She added that storytelling has a unique way of connecting cultures without needing any kind of translation. According to her, emotions like love, laughter and hope speak a language that transcends borders entirely. Mukerji also reflected on how deeply her roles have shaped her as both an actor and a person. She explained that a performance only truly matters once it reaches someone else’s heart. She said knowing her work has travelled so far and stayed relevant for three decades feels genuinely humbling. According to her, every character she’s played has quietly influenced who she’s become over the years. She described playing women who laughed loudly, loved deeply and never stopped believing in themselves as one of the most rewarding parts of her journey. Mukerji said these roles didn’t just shape her craft, but helped her grow as a person too. Looking ahead, Mukerji is reportedly set to reunite with Shah Rukh Khan in his upcoming action-thriller “King,” releasing worldwide on December 24, 2026. She’s expected to play the mother of Suhana Khan’s character, joining an ensemble that includes Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *