fury wins lowkey
| |

Fury wins lowkey warm up to keep Joshua fight on t…

Tyson Fury stopped Mariusz Wach in a low-key bout in Thailand, attended by no more than 1,500 fans and not televised live anywhere in the world. The 37-year-old British heavyweight dominated for seven rounds at the Max Muay Thai Stadium in Pattaya before the overmatched Wach, 46, retired on his stool at the start of the eighth.

Friday’s bout was not broadcast on any television or radio platform and will instead form part of the third series of the Netflix reality show ‘At Home With The Fury’s’. The 36th victory of his career moves Fury closer to a potential blockbuster meeting with fellow Briton Anthony Joshua, who has his own comeback fight against Albanian Kristian Prenga in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

“I went through my test tonight. Let’s see if he can get through his,” Fury said. Many expected ‘the Gypsy King’ to fly straight to Jeddah for Joshua’s fight, with the pair potentially announcing their long-awaited showdown in the ring afterwards if Joshua wins. Instead, Fury said he was going home. “I’ve got to face off with my wife. I’ve got to iron when I get home. I’ve been away for six out of the last seven months. I’m not going to Jeddah, I’m going home to my wife and kids. I’m going to regroup and hopefully we’ll have a big fight signed next week.”

Questions still linger over where the all-British bout would take place, with Eddie Hearn saying Joshua’s contract stipulates the UK, but industry whispers suggesting a venue in America. “We’ll head wherever we’re going to head,” Fury said. “Who knows? It could be in Vegas, New York, Ireland, London. Who knows where the fight’s going to be?”

The low-key warm-up in Thailand was a strategic move for Fury, who has been basing his training camps in the country. The fight, though not broadcast live, allowed him to shake off any ring rust and stay active ahead of a potential megafight with Joshua. Wach, a durable veteran, provided rounds for Fury, who was able to dominate at his own pace without taking unnecessary risks.

The fight between Fury and Joshua has been one of the most anticipated in boxing history, with fans around the world eager to see the two British heavyweights finally meet. Both fighters have expressed interest in the bout, and negotiations have been ongoing for months. Joshua’s fight against Prenga is seen as a final tune-up before the potential clash, and a victory would likely set the stage for the showdown.

Fury’s decision to skip Joshua’s fight and return home has raised some eyebrows, but the heavyweight champion has always marched to the beat of his own drum. His focus remains on the future, and he has made it clear that he is ready for the big fight. As the boxing world waits for official confirmation, fans are hopeful that the long-awaited clash between Fury and Joshua will finally come to fruition, delivering a spectacle worthy of the sport’s biggest stage. The coming weeks will be crucial in determining whether the fight will be made and where it will take place, with the potential to become one of the biggest events in boxing history.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Violence and rigging allegations in first phase of…

    A worker for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) was killed and multiple scuffles broke out as the first phase of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections concluded in Mirpur division on Monday, with both major parties trading accusations of violence and pre-poll rigging . Polling took place across 13 constituencies in the three districts of Bhimber, Mirpur, and Kotli, beginning at 8am and concluding at 6pm after a one-hour extension . While minor skirmishes between PPP and PML-N workers were reported earlier in the day, the electoral process took a violent turn in the afternoon in LA-9 Kotli-II (Nakyal) . In a statement on X, the PPP claimed that party worker Mukhtar Younus “died during incidents of display of arms and public harassment by PML-N candidate Sardar Umail Naeem” . Mirpur Commissioner Raja Tahir Mumtaz confirmed that a man was killed and two others, including the deceased’s father, were injured . The PML-N, however, claimed that Younus had been involved in its election campaign . PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari expressed grief over the death, stating that Younus had been “martyred in Mirpur’s Nakyal” in “firing by” the PML-N candidate . “Where are the relevant authorities? What is the Election Commission doing?” he demanded . He noted that a video had emerged two days ago of Naeem and his companions “firing in public,” and argued that the loss of life could have been prevented if authorities had acted . Younus had been running an election campaign with party candidate Javed Budhanvi, the current food minister . Bilawal had alleged last week that a criminal case registered against Budhanvi was politically motivated . That case was registered after a PML-N activist campaigning for Naeem was killed and two others were injured in a firing incident in Kotli on July 10 . Despite the violence, AJK Inspector General of Police retired Captain Liaqat Ali Malik said the polling process was “largely peaceful,” describing the scuffles as “part of political activity” and noting that “temperatures are usually high” at polling stations . He affirmed that legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to disrupt polling, regardless of political affiliation . The PPP and PML-N, allies at the Centre, have been engaged in a bitter war of words in the lead-up to the polls, with observers viewing the AJK race as a direct contest between Bilawal and PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif . The PML-N had previously gifted 10 e-buses to Muzaffarabad and Mirpur, prompting the PPP to decry poll code violations .

  • | | |

    Drone attack damages oil tanker in Strait of Hormuz

    A drone attack targeted an oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, causing minor damage to the vessel but leaving all members of the crew safe, according to the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO). The maritime security agency said the incident took place as the tanker was navigating the strategically important waterway. The drone strike caused limited damage to the vessel, but authorities reported no casualties or injuries among the crew. UKMTO also said the incident did not result in any environmental damage. There were no reports of an oil spill, leakage or other pollution following the attack, easing concerns about a possible impact on the marine environment. The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most important shipping routes, particularly for global energy supplies. Large volumes of crude oil and petroleum products pass through the narrow waterway every day, linking major oil-producing countries in the Gulf with international markets. The latest attack has once again highlighted security concerns surrounding commercial shipping in the region. Any disruption or attack involving an oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz can raise concerns about the safety of maritime traffic, insurance costs and the uninterrupted movement of energy supplies. Authorities continue to monitor the situation and advise commercial vessels operating in the area to remain alert to potential security threats.

  • |

    Shaheen stars as Pakistan Gold storm into Champions Cup final

    MULTAN: Shaheen Shah Afridi produced a match-winning bowling performance as Pakistan Gold defeated Pakistan Whites by five wickets to book their place in the National Champions Cup 2026 final at Multan Cricket Stadium. Chasing 173, Gold reached their target in just 28 overs, although they lost five wickets along the way. Haider Ali led the chase with an impressive 69 off 48 balls, smashing seven fours and three sixes in an aggressive innings. The victory was particularly striking because Gold had entered the match after suffering two defeats and sitting at the bottom of the table. Their superior net run rate, however, kept their qualification hopes alive, and they capitalised when it mattered most. Gold faced early trouble during the chase, slipping to 61-3 after 10 overs. Haider then steadied the innings alongside Kamran Ghulam, who contributed 30 from 26 deliveries, including four boundaries. Saad Khan also played a valuable supporting role, scoring a patient 33 off 55 balls as Gold moved steadily towards victory. Mohammad Wasim claimed two wickets for Whites, but his efforts were not enough to stop the chase. Earlier, Whites were bowled out for 172 in 41.4 overs after choosing to bat first. Gold’s bowlers immediately put their opponents under pressure, reducing Whites to 26-2 inside the opening 10 overs. Shahzaib Khan fell for two while Haseebullah Khan managed only three. The situation worsened as Usman Khan was dismissed for three and Saim Ayub departed after scoring 30, leaving Whites struggling at 45-4 in 14.5 overs. Hasan Nawaz provided some resistance, scoring a determined 55 off 74 balls with three fours and two sixes. His efforts helped Whites cross the 150-run mark, but the lower order could not carry the innings further. Shaheen led Gold’s attack with three wickets, while Faisal Akram claimed two. The National Champions Cup is being staged in Multan from August 11 to 18 as part of Pakistan’s 2026-27 domestic season and preparations for the 2027 ODI World Cup. Match 6 – Sparco Paints Pakistan Gold beat UOL Pakistan Whites by five wickets at Multan Cricket Stadium Pakistan Whites 172 all out, 41.4 overs (Hasan Nawaz 55, Saim Ayub 28, Saad Masood 20; Shaheen Shah Afridi 3-26, Mubasir Khan 2-29, Faisal Akram 2-48) Pakistan Gold 173-5, 28 overs (Haider Ali 69 not out, Saad Khan 33, Kamran Ghulam 30; Mohammad Wasim Jnr) Player of the match – Shaheen Shah Afridi (Pakistan Gold) Tournament schedule: (All matches at Multan Cricket Stadium; All matches to begin at 3pm) 11 August – Pakistan Greens beat Pakistan Whites by five wickets 12 August – Pakistan Blues beat Pakistan Gold by six wickets 13 August –Pakistan Whites beat Pakistan Blues by six runs 14 August – Pakistan Greens beat Pakistan Gold by 128 runs 15 August – Pakistan Greens beat Pakistan Blues by 192 runs 16 August – Pakistan Gold beat Pakistan Whites by five wickets 18 August – Final (Pakistan Greens v Pakistan Gold)

  • | |

    FBR collects record Rs44bn income tax from salarie…

    ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) collected Rs44 billion in income tax from the salaried class during July, the first month of the current financial year. The collection was higher than the amount collected from salaried individuals during the same month in the previous two years. FBR had collected Rs42 billion from the salaried class in July 2025 and Rs30 billion in July 2024. According to sources, the higher collection from salaried individuals came despite an overall decline in income tax collection in some sectors. The figures indicate that the salaried class continued to contribute a significant share of income tax revenue at the beginning of the new financial year. Sources said property buying and selling transactions increased during July this year. However, tax collection from property transactions remained lower compared with the corresponding period last year. The development comes after the government introduced changes to income tax rates for several salaried income brackets in the federal budget for the current financial year. The government reduced tax rates on annual incomes above Rs2.2 million as part of its budget measures. Under the revised tax structure, the income tax rate for individuals earning between Rs2.2 million and Rs3.2 million annually was reduced from 23 per cent to 20 per cent. Similarly, the tax rate for the annual income bracket of Rs3.2 million to Rs4.1 million was reduced from 30 per cent to 25 per cent. For individuals earning between Rs4.1 million and Rs5.6 million annually, the income tax rate was reduced from 35 per cent to 29 per cent. The tax rate for people earning between Rs5.6 million and Rs7 million annually was also reduced from 35 per cent to 32 per cent. Despite these reductions in tax rates, FBR’s collection from salaried individuals increased in July compared with the previous two years. The figures show that the tax contribution from the salaried class remained strong despite changes in the tax slabs.

  • | |

    Khawaja Asif predicts PML-N AJK government

    Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders on Sunday expressed confidence that the party would emerge victorious in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections and form the next regional government. At the same time, they rejected allegations of election rigging and violence raised by the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), insisting that the polling process remained peaceful and transparent. Defence Minister Khawaja Asif made the remarks while visiting party election camps in Union Council Fatehgarh, Sialkot. He said polling across AJK and the refugee constituencies was conducted in a calm and orderly manner. According to him, voters actively participated in the electoral process and the turnout remained encouraging throughout the day. He said reports received from various election camps reflected a positive trend in favour of the PML-N. He added that voter participation was expected to increase further as polling continued. Khawaja Asif expressed confidence that the party would secure enough seats to form the next AJK government. The defence minister said a PML-N government in AJK would focus on development, public welfare and political stability. He added that the party wanted to continue serving the people under the leadership of Nawaz Sharif. Speaking about the Kashmir issue, Khawaja Asif reiterated Pakistan’s longstanding position. He said Kashmir remained an integral part of Pakistan’s national policy. He also criticised what he called propaganda aimed at strengthening India’s narrative on the dispute. According to him, there could be no compromise on Pakistan’s stance regarding Kashmir. He also highlighted the political importance of Sialkot, saying the district has a large population of refugees from Jammu. He noted that nearly 100,000 voters were registered in the LA-36 Jammu-III constituency, making it one of the important refugee seats in the elections. Khawaja Asif urged all political parties to respect the decision of the voters. He said every party should accept the election results in the spirit of democracy, regardless of victory or defeat. Later, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah also addressed a press conference in Islamabad alongside Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Amir Muqam. Rana Sanaullah strongly rejected PPP allegations of widespread rigging and violence. He said the elections were held peacefully and voters exercised their democratic right without major disruptions. He explained that polling hours were extended by one hour at some polling stations because of difficult weather conditions. He added that voters who had already entered polling stations before the closing time were allowed to cast their ballots in accordance with election rules. According to Rana Sanaullah, nearly 95 to 96 per cent of the polling process had been completed smoothly by the end of the day. He said ballot counting had already started in most constituencies. The adviser criticised allegations of election manipulation. He said one political party began accusing the authorities of rigging early in the morning without presenting any evidence. He maintained that such claims were politically motivated and intended to create unnecessary controversy. Commenting on incidents of violence, Rana Sanaullah said only three isolated cases were reported during polling. He insisted these incidents did not affect the overall election process. He also responded to reports involving AJK Acting President and Speaker Chaudhry Latif Akbar. According to Rana Sanaullah, the incident resulted from a personal dispute linked to an old court case. He denied reports of any serious physical assault and said the matter had been exaggerated for political purposes. The adviser also addressed the death of an elderly man, Mushtaq, during polling. He said the deceased was a heart patient and suffered a cardiac arrest after an argument between rival political supporters. He rejected claims that the man had been killed in election-related violence, saying no post-mortem report had confirmed such allegations. Meanwhile, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said PML-N supporters participated enthusiastically in the elections. He said voters showed confidence in the party’s leadership by casting their ballots in favour of the lion, the party’s election symbol. In a statement shared on social media, Tarar described allegations of rigging as baseless and unsupported by evidence. He said the public had once again expressed trust in the PML-N’s agenda of development, public service and economic progress.

  • | |

    Dar vows continued rescue efforts after Broad Peak…

    ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar has expressed profound grief over the deaths of 10 mountaineers who lost their lives in the devastating avalanche on Broad Peak in Gilgit-Baltistan. He assured that Pakistan will continue search, rescue and recovery operations until all possible efforts have been exhausted. In his statement, Dar extended heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families and expressed solidarity with the governments and people of Nepal, China, Oman, the United Kingdom and the United States, whose citizens were among those killed in the tragedy. The deputy prime minister paid special tribute to legendary Nepali climber Nirmal Purja, describing him as one of the world’s most accomplished mountaineers. He also honored Pakistani climber Sohail Sakhi of Hunza, saying his bravery, determination and passion for the mountains would always be remembered. Dar said the courage and dedication shown by all the climbers reflected the true spirit of mountaineering. He added that their achievements would continue to inspire climbers across the world despite the tragic loss. He also praised the rescue personnel, Pakistan Army Aviation teams, high-altitude porters and emergency responders who have been working in extremely difficult conditions at high altitude. He said their commitment and professionalism deserve the nation’s appreciation. The foreign minister reaffirmed that Pakistan remains fully committed to the ongoing rescue and recovery mission. He said the government is maintaining close coordination with the embassies of the affected countries to facilitate the operation and provide all possible assistance. The deadly avalanche struck an international climbing expedition on Broad Peak while the team was moving from Camp 2 to Camp 3. The incident claimed the lives of climbers from Pakistan, Nepal, China, Oman, the United Kingdom and the United States. Among those killed was Nirmal Purja, who gained worldwide recognition after climbing all 14 mountains above 8,000 metres in a record six months and six days in 2019. He had returned to Pakistan in an attempt to become the first mountaineer to summit all 14 eight-thousanders twice without using supplemental oxygen. Rescue teams later recovered Purja’s body from an altitude of approximately 5,700 metres, several days after he and other members of the expedition went missing following the avalanche. The victims also included climbers from Nepal, China, Oman, the United States and Pakistan, making it one of the deadliest mountaineering disasters in the region in recent years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *