leadership crisis epzs
|

Leadership crisis at EPZs threatens Pakistan’s industrial future

Islamabad: The Senate Standing Committee on Industries and Production today exposed alarming governance lapses and structural vulnerabilities in Pakistan’s industrial sector, raising serious questions over the future of Export Processing Zones (EPZs) and the proposed Automotive & Auto Parts Manufacturing Policy 2026–31.

The session, chaired by Senator Saleem Mandviwalla, revealed that the Export Processing Zones Authority has been operating without a permanent chairman for an extended period, leaving critical decisions in limbo. Committee members expressed deep concern that this leadership vacuum is undermining investor confidence and delaying strategic initiatives crucial for industrial growth. Mandviwalla warned that the prolonged absence of leadership threatens compliance with Pakistan’s commitments under the IMF Extended Fund Facility (EFF), particularly the phase-out of incentives and restrictions on EPZ sales to the domestic market.

Industry representatives attending the committee highlighted growing discontent over the draft Auto Policy 2026–31. While the policy aims to boost New Energy Vehicles (NEVs), increase domestic value addition, and expand exports, local manufacturers face crippling challenges. High tariffs on raw materials, steep duties, and overall cost disadvantages were flagged as severe obstacles that could prevent the policy’s objectives from materializing.

“The government’s plan is ambitious, but without resolving operational bottlenecks, domestic producers will be left behind while international competitors gain an advantage,” said a senior industry official. The committee directed all stakeholders to submit formal grievances and scheduled a follow-up joint session with the Ministry of Commerce and the Ministry of Industries and Production to ensure these issues are addressed before the next IMF review.

Officials confirmed that EPZ incentives and operational rules require immediate reform, warning that failure to act decisively could deter foreign and domestic investment, compromise manufacturing growth, and slow Pakistan’s economic recovery.

The committee stressed that rectifying these issues is critical not only for industrial expansion but also for maintaining Pakistan’s international credibility in trade agreements and IMF compliance.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Wafflix owner found dead after alleged abduction

    The owner of popular dessert chain Wafflix was found dead in Gulistan-e-Jauhar days after he was allegedly kidnapped from his home in Karachi’s PECHS area. The victim was identified as 25-year-old Mir Raza Ali, son of Mir Hassan Ali. He lived in PECHS Block 2 and operated Wafflix near Bahadurabad Chowrangi. Police recovered Raza’s body from bushes near Shadi Qila wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Jauhar Block 1 on Wednesday. The body was shifted to Jinnah Hospital for a post-mortem examination. Investigators said the body appeared to be one to two days old. They also found apparent burn marks on parts of the body, which had made identification difficult. Raza’s father reportedly identified him through his clothes. Police also found a mark on the victim’s back. Authorities said the exact cause of death would be established through the post-mortem report. Ferozabad police said preliminary findings indicated that Raza may have been subjected to torture before being shot. Station House Officer Kamran Qureshi said investigators were collecting CCTV footage from cameras around the wedding hall to identify and trace the suspects. A kidnapping case had already been registered at Ferozabad Police Station on Tuesday following a complaint by Raza’s father. According to the initial police report, Raza returned home from his shop during the night between July 27 and 28. At around 4am, he told his mother that he was going outside for around 10 minutes. He never returned. His mother later tried calling his mobile phone, but it had been switched off. The family searched for him and contacted Madadgar 15 before approaching the police. The case was registered against unidentified suspects, while police launched an investigation into the alleged abduction and subsequent killing. The death of the young entrepreneur sparked grief among people who knew him. Condolences and messages of concern spread on social media, with many also raising questions about the worsening security situation in Karachi.

  • | |

    Arjumand Rahim opens up about anxiety and multiple ER visits

    Arjumand Rahim is one of Pakistani television’s most enduring and respected performers. She began her career in the 1990s and has built a body of work that spans three decades, evolving alongside the industry itself and consistently delivering performances that leave a mark. Her recent role in Sher reminded audiences precisely what she is capable of, earning widespread praise and reinforcing her standing as one of the finest actors of her generation. Away from the screen, however, she has been quietly navigating a health struggle that was far more frightening than anything she has portrayed on camera. Appearing as a guest on Vasay Chaudhary’s show, Arjumand spoke with remarkable candour about a period in her life when she repeatedly found herself in the emergency room with no clear explanation for what was happening to her body. She described feeling faint and physically unwell on multiple occasions, with each ER visit leaving her more shaken than the last. Adding to her fear was a deeply personal detail: her father had passed away due to cardiac arrest, and the physical symptoms she was experiencing brought that grief rushing back in the most frightening way possible. Every episode of faintness or discomfort carried the shadow of that loss. It was only when she received a proper diagnosis that the picture began to make sense. She was found to be suffering from extreme anxiety and depression, conditions that had been manifesting through very real and alarming physical symptoms. For someone who had not understood what was happening to her, the diagnosis, while difficult to hear, was also the beginning of clarity. She sought professional help, underwent therapy, and received the treatment she needed to begin recovering. She described the period before the diagnosis as truly frightening, a time when she did not know what was wrong with her and could not explain what her body was doing or why. The uncertainty, layered on top of grief and the physical toll of the episodes themselves, made for an extraordinarily difficult stretch of time. The good news, and she was clear about this, is that she is doing significantly better now. The treatment worked, and the willingness to seek help made the difference. Her decision to speak openly about what she went through carries weight beyond her own story. In Pakistan, conversations around mental health and its physical manifestations remain challenging, and the stigma surrounding anxiety, depression and therapy continues to prevent many people from reaching out. When a figure of Arjumand Rahim’s stature speaks plainly about her own diagnosis and her experience of getting treatment, it sends a message that reaching for help is not weakness but the beginning of getting better. That is a message worth hearing.

  • |

    19 dead as 49,000 rush Spain’s Ceuta border

    Spain and Morocco have strengthened security along the border of the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after an unprecedented surge saw around 49,000 migrants cross by land and sea within a single day, triggering a humanitarian and political crisis. Authorities from both countries reinforced border fences and increased security deployments on Friday, effectively halting further mass crossings. Moroccan security forces used water cannons to disperse crowds attempting to reach the enclave, while damaged vehicles and signs of violent clashes were visible near the border. Spanish officials confirmed that at least 19 bodies were recovered from the waters during the chaotic crossings, raising concerns over the growing human cost of irregular migration. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez was expected to visit Ceuta alongside Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska to assess the situation and oversee the government’s response. Ceuta, a Spanish territory on Morocco’s northern coast, represents one of the European Union’s only land borders with Africa. While the enclave has experienced migration waves in the past, officials described the latest influx as the largest recorded in recent years. Spain’s government said migrants who entered the enclave illegally would be returned in accordance with Spanish law while respecting recent court rulings and international human rights obligations. Officials believe the sudden increase in crossings may have been influenced by a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling that placed new limits on the immediate return of migrants intercepted while attempting to reach Ceuta and the nearby enclave of Melilla. On the Moroccan side, thousands of migrants gathered near the border town of Fnideq despite heavy security. Many searched for alternative routes after official crossing points were sealed, while others attempted to reach Ceuta by swimming along the coastline. The crowds included men, women, and children from Morocco as well as several Sub-Saharan African countries. The crisis has sparked political tensions across Europe. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni warned that Italy could consider extraordinary measures, including suspending participation in the Schengen border-free travel system with Spain, if migration pressures continue to escalate. Italy also criticized Spain’s immigration policies, arguing that recent measures to regularize the status of hundreds of thousands of undocumented migrants could encourage further irregular migration. Spain rejected the criticism, insisting that migration requires a coordinated European response based on solidarity rather than political rhetoric. Spanish officials stressed that migrants contribute to the country’s economy while reaffirming their commitment to tackling illegal border crossings.

  • | |

    Pakistan plans digital system for private Hajj 202…

    The Ministry of Religious Affairs has decided to introduce a new digital system for the private Hajj operation in 2027 in line with Saudi Arabia’s Nusuk Masar system. Under the new arrangement, bookings for private Hajj will be processed through the Ministry of Religious Affairs instead of being handled directly by private Hajj operators. For the first time, both the government and private Hajj operations will come under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Religious Affairs, according to sources. Sources said the private Hajj scheme will be operated through the ministry’s official Pak Hajj app, which will serve as the digital platform for managing bookings and related arrangements. The move is aimed at bringing greater transparency, centralised oversight and digital management to the private Hajj scheme. It will also align Pakistan’s private Hajj operations with the digital procedures being implemented by Saudi authorities. Under the proposed system, pilgrims seeking to perform Hajj through the private scheme will be able to access the relevant services through the official digital platform, while the ministry will maintain direct oversight of the process. The decision marks a significant change from the existing arrangement, under which private Hajj operators play a central role in booking and managing pilgrims. The ministry is expected to announce further details regarding registration, booking procedures, packages, payments and the role of private operators as preparations for Hajj 2027 progress.

  • | |

    IHC issues cause list with eight benches for next …

    The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Registrar’s Office has issued the cause list for the upcoming week. According to the cause list, eight benches will be available to hear cases during the week. These include six single benches and two division benches. The court has constituted two division benches to hear cases involving matters requiring consideration by two judges. The first division bench will comprise Justice Khadim Hussain Soomro and Justice Umair Majid Malik. The second division bench will consist of Justice Muhammad Asif and Justice Shah Rukh Arjumand. The cause list also includes six single benches. These benches will hear cases assigned to individual judges during the upcoming week. The six single benches will comprise Justice Sarfraz Dogar, Justice Khadim Hussain Soomro, Justice Muhammad Asif, Justice Ayaz Shaukat, Justice Umair Majid Malik and Justice Shah Rukh Arjumand. The Registrar’s Office has issued the schedule as part of the court’s regular judicial proceedings. Cases listed before the respective benches will be taken up according to the cause list. The cause list determines which cases are scheduled for hearing and which judges will hear them. Lawyers and litigants will appear before the relevant benches on the dates fixed by the court. The Islamabad High Court will continue hearing cases through the six single benches and two division benches during the coming week.

  • | | |

    PM Shehbaz, Field Marshal Munir begin Saudi visit

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir will pay an official visit to Saudi Arabia from August 6 to 8 to hold high-level talks aimed at strengthening bilateral ties and discussing key regional developments. According to the Foreign Office, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar will also join the delegation after completing his visit to Jordan. During the visit, Prime Minister Shehbaz is scheduled to meet Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The discussions will focus on expanding cooperation between the two countries, enhancing strategic relations and reviewing regional and international issues of mutual interest. The Foreign Office said the visit reflects the deep-rooted relationship between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, built on decades of close cooperation, mutual trust and strong brotherly ties. Officials said the high-level engagements are expected to further strengthen political, economic and strategic cooperation between the two countries. Both sides are also likely to discuss ways to improve coordination on regional security and international affairs. The visit comes at a time of heightened tensions in the Gulf region, giving the meetings added diplomatic significance. However, Pakistani officials said the agenda extends beyond the current regional situation and is aimed at reinforcing the long-term strategic partnership between Islamabad and Riyadh. The Foreign Office added that the visit will help deepen bilateral relations, expand cooperation in areas of shared interest and enhance collaboration at multilateral forums. Prime Minister Shehbaz last visited Saudi Arabia in April, where he held meetings with the kingdom’s top leadership to discuss bilateral cooperation and regional developments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *