cancer patient girl
| | |

Cancer patient girl stuck in Karachi traffic jam d…

A young girl undergoing cancer treatment was reportedly caught in a Karachi traffic jam while her family was taking her to a hospital for a medical check-up on Thursday.

According to local media reports, the girl and her family became stuck near Essa Nagri after residents staged a protest over prolonged electricity and water outages in the area. The demonstration resulted in severe traffic congestion and long queues of vehicles on surrounding roads.

The girl’s family said they were taking her to hospital for a scheduled check-up when they became trapped in the traffic. According to the family, the child is suffering from chest cancer and had a urine bag attached to her at the time, making the delay particularly distressing.

Residents said they had been facing shortages of both electricity and water for around 15 days. Frustrated by the prolonged disruption, they took to the streets to demand an improvement in basic services.

The protest caused significant disruption to traffic movement in the area. The road connecting Gharibabad to Hasan Square was reportedly closed to traffic, with vehicles being diverted through Liaquatabad No. 10, Karimabad and an internal bypass near Gharibabad.

Traffic heading from the Hasan Square U-turn was also diverted towards University Road and NIPA. Meanwhile, motorists travelling from Hasan Square towards Liaquatabad faced further congestion and delays.

The incident has drawn attention to the difficult balance between residents’ right to protest over essential services and the impact such demonstrations can have on emergency and medical journeys.

For the affected family, the traffic jam created an especially difficult situation because of the child’s medical condition and the need to reach the hospital on time. The case also highlights the broader consequences of prolonged civic service disruptions, which can affect not only daily commuters but also patients requiring urgent or scheduled medical care.

Residents maintain that repeated power and water outages have left them with little choice but to protest. Authorities, meanwhile, face the challenge of resolving the underlying service complaints while ensuring that major roads remain accessible, particularly for ambulances and people travelling for medical treatment.

The situation has once again highlighted Karachi’s traffic and infrastructure challenges, as protests and road closures can quickly cause widespread congestion across major routes.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Diego Luna to receive Honorary Heart of Sarajevo for his lasting impact on cinema

    Diego Luna, an actor known for an impressive string of standout roles throughout his career, is about to reach a significant milestone. The Sarajevo Film Festival has announced it will honor him with its prestigious Honorary Heart of Sarajevo award in 2026, recognizing what organizers describe as his lasting contribution to filmmaking. Luna, who earned widespread acclaim for his role in “Andor,” expressed genuine gratitude upon hearing the news. He shared that he has long wanted to visit Sarajevo, having heard glowing accounts from fellow industry colleagues about their experiences at the festival over the years. Beyond receiving the honor, Luna will also use the festival as a platform to showcase his latest project. The “Narcos: Mexico” star will present “Ashes,” marking his newest work as a director, to festival audiences. He described feeling honored by the recognition while also expressing excitement about finally sharing his directorial project with viewers. Festival director Jovan Marjanović spoke warmly about Luna’s artistic journey, recalling how the actor first captured audiences’ attention roughly twenty-five years ago through his breakout performance in “Y Tu Mamá También.” Marjanović noted that even then, it was clear they were witnessing the rise of an artist unafraid to explore new creative territory, someone capable of moving fluidly between blockbuster Hollywood projects and smaller, deeply personal stories rooted in Latin American culture. The festival director further praised Luna’s substantial body of work, describing its lasting influence on modern cinema and calling it a genuine privilege to present him with this honor. Luna first gained international recognition through Alfonso Cuarón’s coming-of-age drama “Y Tu Mamá También,” a role that launched him into the global spotlight. Since then, he has built an extensive filmography, collaborating with numerous respected filmmakers, including Steven Spielberg, Gus Van Sant, and Harmony Korine, further cementing his reputation as a versatile and accomplished performer. This year’s Sarajevo Film Festival, marking its 32nd edition, will run from August 14 through August 21, bringing together filmmakers, actors, and cinema enthusiasts from around the world. Luna’s dual presence, both as an honoree and as a filmmaker presenting new work, positions him as one of the festival’s central figures this year, highlighting both his acting legacy and his evolving voice behind the camera.

  • |

    Alexandrova shocks world No. 1 Sabalenka in Toronto

    TORONTO: Russian tennis player Ekaterina Alexandrova produced a major upset at the WTA Toronto Masters by defeating world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka in the fourth round. The 16th-seeded Alexandrova secured a hard-fought 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4 victory over the four-time Grand Slam champion in a match lasting two hours and 29 minutes. The win booked Alexandrova’s place in the quarter-finals and improved her career record against Sabalenka to 5-5. Sabalenka made a strong start, breaking Alexandrova early in the opening set to take a 2-0 lead. However, the Russian responded by winning four consecutive games. The set remained closely contested, with both players exchanging breaks late in the set. Alexandrova eventually dominated the tie-break and took the opening set 7-6. Sabalenka fought back in the second set. She secured a crucial break to move 4-3 ahead before holding her next two service games to level the match. The deciding set again featured intense rallies and momentum shifts. Alexandrova broke Sabalenka early to establish a 3-1 advantage. Sabalenka managed to recover one break, but Alexandrova remained composed under pressure. The Russian created two match points in the 10th game after a series of errors from the top seed. Sabalenka saved the first two opportunities with a service winner and an ace. However, she then sent a backhand beyond the baseline before committing her sixth double fault of the match, handing Alexandrova victory. Alexandrova said she entered the contest without any particular expectations because she knew defeating Sabalenka would be extremely difficult. She explained that she deliberately played aggressively and took risks because she believed it was the best way to create opportunities against the powerful Belarusian. The victory sends Alexandrova into the Toronto quarter-finals, where she will face either American eighth seed Amanda Anisimova or Ukraine’s ninth seed Elina Svitolina.

  • | | |

    Oil prices jump as US-Iran tensions rattle markets

    Oil prices climbed sharply on Wednesday as fresh military developments involving the United States, Iran and Saudi Arabia raised fears of further escalation in the Middle East. Brent crude futures rose $3.30, or 3.9%, to $87.39 a barrel. US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude also gained $3.05, or 3.8%, to $82.31 a barrel. The latest increase came after the United States and Saudi Arabia carried out strikes against Iran-backed groups in Iraq. The developments followed Iran’s reported missile attack targeting US forces in the region. The renewed tensions have increased concerns about oil supplies from the Middle East. Investors are now watching closely for signs that the conflict could spread further across the Gulf. US officials said American forces intercepted ballistic missiles launched by Iran towards US military positions in the Middle East. Washington described the incident as an attempted surprise attack. Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps later said it had launched several ballistic missiles at a US air base and the US Central Command facility in Jordan. Saudi Arabia also confirmed that its forces had conducted targeted strikes against Iran-backed groups in Iraq. Riyadh said the strikes were carried out jointly with the US Central Command. Saudi authorities linked the operation to drone attacks targeting energy facilities in the kingdom. The developments have added to concerns over the security of critical oil infrastructure in the region. Market analysts said the latest escalation has reduced expectations of a quick easing of tensions in the Persian Gulf. Any disruption to oil production or transportation routes could put additional upward pressure on crude prices. US oil inventories have also provided support to the market. Crude stocks fell by around 3.3 million barrels during the week ending July 24, according to data cited from the American Petroleum Institute. Official inventory figures from the US Energy Information Administration are expected later on Wednesday. Traders will closely examine the data for further signs of changes in demand and supply. Meanwhile, OPEC+ could provide another boost to oil prices. Sources said the producer group is likely to pause planned increases in oil output for three months starting in October. The possible pause would come after OPEC+ completes its scheduled return of barrels that had previously been removed from the market through voluntary production cuts. For now, traders remain focused on developments between Washington and Tehran. Any further military escalation could increase concerns over regional oil supplies and push crude prices higher.

  • | |

    Lahore police station assault case sparks mass sus…

    Lahore: A shocking alleged sexual assault inside Lahore’s Ghaziabad Police Station has triggered the suspension of the entire station staff, including the Station House Officer (SHO), as authorities investigate the incident. According to police officials, Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Imran allegedly brought a young woman to the police station on the pretext of questioning her. A sentry on gate duty reportedly asked about the woman, and the ASI claimed she was a suspect being taken in for investigation. He then allegedly took her into an investigation room, where the assault is said to have occurred. Police said the officer later dropped the woman back home. Her family had gone to the police station to report her missing but were informed during the process that she had already returned. Following the allegations, the accused ASI was arrested, while the investigation in-charge was also suspended. The incident prompted the suspension of all 78 personnel posted at Ghaziabad Police Station, including the SHO. DIG Operations Faisal Kamran said that although different police units operate within a station, the SHO is ultimately responsible for maintaining discipline and oversight. He added that all activities taking place inside the station should fall under the SHO’s knowledge and supervision. Police also confirmed that the alleged victim is mentally vulnerable, and an investigation into the case is underway.

  • | |

    Pakistan rejects Imran Khan’s sons’ allegation…

    The Government of Pakistan has categorically rejected allegations by the sons of former Prime Minister Imran Khan that he has been kept under a seven-month communications blackout and denied access to his family, lawyers and doctors, terming the claims “unsubstantiated” and contrary to official prison records. In a detailed response, the government said documented records showed that Imran Khan had continued to receive visitors, legal access and medical care during his imprisonment, rejecting what it described as an attempt to create an international controversy without evidence. According to the government, since the beginning of his conviction, prison records show 198 meetings involving more than 900 visitors, including family members, legal representatives and political associates. It said Khan was also allowed a weekly meeting with his wife, with the latest meeting taking place on 4 August 2026, the same day his sons made allegations of a communications blackout during an appearance on CNN. The government said prison authorities maintain records of approved visits and communications, including WhatsApp and landline calls with family members in Pakistan and abroad. It added that Khan’s last call with his son was recorded on 21 March 2026. The statement said any temporary restrictions were imposed under Pakistan Prison Rules, court orders and security requirements applicable to high-profile prisoners, particularly due to political activities outside the prison. “There is no prohibition on access; it is regulated under the law,” the government said, adding that prison meetings cannot be used as unrestricted political communication channels. Rejecting claims regarding medical treatment, the government said Imran Khan had received regular medical examinations by specialist teams and medical boards from institutions including the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Shifa International Hospital, Shaukat Khanum Memorial Hospital and Al-Shifa Trust Eye Hospital. The government said Khan underwent treatment for a retinal condition, including five intravitreal anti-VEGF injections, specialist examinations and retinal imaging. It added that his latest specialist assessment was carried out in July 2026, with further medication and follow-up care prescribed. According to the official statement, medical records describe Khan as “oriented and stable”, with no reported acute or unmanaged deterioration. The government said disclosure of medical reports remained subject to legal procedures, patient confidentiality and ongoing proceedings before the Supreme Court of Pakistan. Addressing the issue of Khan’s sons’ travel to Pakistan, the government said the matter involved separate processes relating to NICOP and visa requirements. It stated that overseas Pakistanis holding a valid NICOP are eligible for visa-free entry and rejected what it called an attempt to present an administrative matter as political victimisation. The statement also detailed the facilities provided to Imran Khan in prison, saying he was being kept in a separate compound with accommodation and amenities exceeding minimum requirements for prisoners in the same category. The government maintained that Imran Khan was being treated according to constitutional guarantees, prison laws and court directives, while insisting that no individual was entitled to a separate legal framework or exemption from security regulations.

  • |

    Hammad Azam guides San Francisco Unicorns to thrilling GSL win

    San Francisco Unicorns secured a hard-fought five-run victory over Perth Scorchers XI in their Global Super League (GSL) 2026 clash at Providence Stadium on Sunday, thanks to an outstanding all-round team performance led by Hammad Azam. After being put under pressure early in their innings, the Unicorns recovered impressively to post 152-8 in their allotted 20 overs. The foundation of the total was laid by Hammad Azam, who produced a composed unbeaten knock of 64 from 46 deliveries. The Unicorns’ batting line-up struggled at the start, slipping from 42-1 to 46-5 inside the opening six overs as the Scorchers’ bowlers dominated with the new ball. With wickets falling regularly, Hammad steadied the innings and prevented a complete collapse. He mixed caution with aggression, striking four boundaries and five sixes during his match-defining innings. His ability to rotate the strike while punishing loose deliveries helped the Unicorns recover from a difficult position and reach a competitive total. Chasing 153 for victory, Perth Scorchers XI also found themselves in early trouble. Opener Andre Fletcher was dismissed for just one in the opening over, while Joel Curtis managed only 16 before departing. Experienced batter D’Arcy Short anchored the chase with a patient 43, attempting to guide his side through the middle overs. He built useful partnerships with Usman Khan, who scored 14, and Ashton Turner, who contributed 13. Despite those efforts, regular wickets kept disrupting the chase and prevented the Scorchers from building lasting momentum. The turning point came in the 16th over when Short was dismissed with the score on 103-7, leaving Perth Scorchers XI with a difficult task in the closing stages of the innings. Just when the contest appeared to be slipping away, Brody Couch produced a spirited late assault to revive his team’s hopes. The lower-order batter blasted 23 runs from only 12 balls, smashing two fours and two sixes in an entertaining cameo. Couch and Akeal Hosein added 39 runs for the ninth wicket, reducing the target significantly and setting up a tense finish. Hosein also played an important supporting role with 16 runs as the pair pushed the match into the final over. However, the Unicorns held their composure under pressure. Hosein was dismissed on the penultimate delivery of the innings, ending the Scorchers’ hopes of completing a remarkable comeback. Perth Scorchers XI finished on 147-9, falling just five runs short of the target. With the ball, Ghulam Mudassar delivered a match-winning spell for San Francisco Unicorns, claiming four wickets at crucial moments to derail the Scorchers’ chase. His breakthroughs, combined with disciplined bowling in the closing overs, ensured the Unicorns successfully defended their total. Hammad Azam’s unbeaten half-century and Ghulam Mudassar’s four-wicket haul proved decisive as San Francisco Unicorns registered a memorable victory in a closely contested Global Super League encounter, strengthening their campaign with an impressive all-round performance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *