oil prices jump
| | |

Oil prices jump as US-Iran tensions rattle markets

Oil prices climbed sharply on Wednesday as fresh military developments involving the United States, Iran and Saudi Arabia raised fears of further escalation in the Middle East.

Brent crude futures rose $3.30, or 3.9%, to $87.39 a barrel. US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude also gained $3.05, or 3.8%, to $82.31 a barrel.

The latest increase came after the United States and Saudi Arabia carried out strikes against Iran-backed groups in Iraq. The developments followed Iran’s reported missile attack targeting US forces in the region.

The renewed tensions have increased concerns about oil supplies from the Middle East. Investors are now watching closely for signs that the conflict could spread further across the Gulf.

US officials said American forces intercepted ballistic missiles launched by Iran towards US military positions in the Middle East. Washington described the incident as an attempted surprise attack.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps later said it had launched several ballistic missiles at a US air base and the US Central Command facility in Jordan.

Saudi Arabia also confirmed that its forces had conducted targeted strikes against Iran-backed groups in Iraq. Riyadh said the strikes were carried out jointly with the US Central Command.

Saudi authorities linked the operation to drone attacks targeting energy facilities in the kingdom. The developments have added to concerns over the security of critical oil infrastructure in the region.

Market analysts said the latest escalation has reduced expectations of a quick easing of tensions in the Persian Gulf. Any disruption to oil production or transportation routes could put additional upward pressure on crude prices.

US oil inventories have also provided support to the market. Crude stocks fell by around 3.3 million barrels during the week ending July 24, according to data cited from the American Petroleum Institute.

Official inventory figures from the US Energy Information Administration are expected later on Wednesday. Traders will closely examine the data for further signs of changes in demand and supply.

Meanwhile, OPEC+ could provide another boost to oil prices. Sources said the producer group is likely to pause planned increases in oil output for three months starting in October.

The possible pause would come after OPEC+ completes its scheduled return of barrels that had previously been removed from the market through voluntary production cuts.

For now, traders remain focused on developments between Washington and Tehran. Any further military escalation could increase concerns over regional oil supplies and push crude prices higher.

Similar Posts

  • 3,182 kanals of ETPB land still occupied despite invalid transfers

    Islamabad: More than 3,182 kanals of federally owned Evacuee Trust Property Board land in Attock still has not been restored in government ownership records even after the transfers were declared invalid. The Ministry of Religious Affairs told a parliamentary committee that local revenue authorities allegedly failed to cooperate despite repeated requests. The Senate Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony reviewed the disputed transfer of ETPB land to private occupants under a Punjab provincial law. The issue was raised through a question by Senator Syed Waqar Mehdi, who sought details about how federally owned trust property was transferred and what action had been taken to restore ownership. The committee was informed that 1,907 kanals of ETPB land in Mouza Neeka had allegedly been transferred to occupants. Another 1,275 kanals and 12 marlas of ETPB land in Mouza Ameer Khan, Tehsil Fateh Jang, District Attock, had also allegedly been transferred. Together, the disputed properties amount to more than 3,182 kanals of land. According to the Ministry of Religious Affairs briefing, the transfers were unauthorised. The ministry alleged that the occupants obtained ownership rights through the connivance of local revenue officials. The briefing did not identify the individual revenue officials allegedly responsible in the material provided to the committee. The committee was also told that the ETPB Chairman had already declared the transfers invalid under the Evacuee Trust Property Management and Disposal Act. That decision was later upheld by the Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony. However, the land has still not been restored in the revenue record under the name of ETPB or the Federal Government. According to the briefing, ETPB field offices in Hassanabdal and Attock repeatedly contacted the concerned revenue authorities in an effort to restore federal ownership. Despite those written requests, the ownership record had not been corrected. The ministry blamed the delay on alleged non cooperation by local revenue authorities. The ministry also clarified that there was no evidence of internal involvement. It told the committee that no ETPB official was found involved in the disputed transfers. According to the official briefing, the occupants succeeded in obtaining ownership rights through the alleged connivance of local revenue staff rather than ETPB employees. The case has raised questions about how federally owned religious trust property could be transferred through a provincial law and why the land has not been restored even after the transfers were officially declared invalid. The disputed property belongs to the Evacuee Trust Property Board, which manages properties connected with religious trusts and heritage assets. The committee took serious note of the continuing problem and discussed the need to protect federal ownership of ETPB properties. Members were also concerned about the failure to update the official revenue record despite earlier administrative decisions against the transfers. The case now centres on restoration of legal ownership in government records and accountability for officials, if any, found responsible for facilitating the disputed transfers. The committee directed the concerned authorities to continue pursuing the ETPB land matter and bring further clarification before it in subsequent proceedings. The controversy is likely to remain under parliamentary scrutiny until the land is restored to ETPB or the Federal Government and responsibility for the allegedly unauthorised transfers is clearly determined.

  • |

    ICC bans USA cricketer Akhilesh Reddy for eight years

    DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has imposed an eight-year ban on USA off-spinner B Akhilesh Reddy after he was found guilty of multiple breaches of the governing body’s Anti-Corruption Code linked to the 2025 Abu Dhabi T10 tournament. The 26-year-old cricketer, who represented Aspin Stallions during the competition, was charged following an investigation into alleged corrupt activities during the tournament. He had been provisionally suspended in November 2025 while the inquiry was underway. After a formal hearing, the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Tribunal concluded that Reddy had committed several serious offences under the Anti-Corruption Code. According to the ICC, Reddy was found guilty of attempting to improperly influence the outcome, progress or conduct of matches during the Abu Dhabi T10. He was also found to have encouraged another participant to engage in corrupt activities related to match-fixing. In addition, the tribunal ruled that the spinner obstructed the investigation by deleting data and messages from his mobile phone that could have been relevant to the anti-corruption inquiry. As a result of the findings, the ICC banned Reddy from all cricket-related activities for eight years. The sanction has been backdated to November 21, 2025, the date on which his provisional suspension first came into effect. Reddy made his international debut for the United States in April 2025 and went on to play four Twenty20 Internationals for the national team before his career was derailed by the corruption investigation. The case highlights the ICC’s continued efforts to protect the integrity of the sport through strict enforcement of its anti-corruption regulations. The governing body has repeatedly warned players at all levels that any involvement in match manipulation or attempts to obstruct investigations will result in severe penalties. The lengthy suspension effectively sidelines one of USA cricket’s emerging players for the remainder of the decade and serves as a strong reminder of cricket’s zero-tolerance approach to corruption. The ICC has reaffirmed its commitment to preserving the game’s credibility by taking firm action against anyone found guilty of breaching its anti-corruption code.

  • Thai Tourism Operators Urge Government To Revise Indian Visa Policy

    PHUKET, Thailand — The private sector across Thailand’s premier Andaman coast provinces has formally petitioned the government to urgently revise the visa policy for Indian nationals, warning that current regulations could cost the country up to 8 billion baht in lost revenue during the upcoming high season. The coalition, comprising 13 major organizations including the […]

  • | |

    Azma Bukhari: Opposition can’t stop PML-N wi…

    Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari has expressed confidence that the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) will emerge victorious in the second phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections. In a statement, Azma Bukhari said political opponents alleging electoral rigging would continue to make such claims, but the people would keep placing their trust in the PML-N through the democratic process. She maintained that the party’s candidates were expected to secure victories with comfortable margins. The minister said polling during the second phase of the AJK elections was conducted in a peaceful atmosphere, with voters actively participating and exercising their democratic right across the constituencies. Azma Bukhari claimed that many voters were supporting the PML-N because they appreciated the performance of Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz. She said the provincial government’s development initiatives had strengthened public confidence in the party and encouraged voters to support its candidates. Criticising the opposition, she said parties raising allegations about the electoral process had failed to gain significant public support. According to her, such criticism did not reflect the overall mood of the electorate. Highlighting the party’s development agenda, Azma Bukhari said the people of Azad Kashmir also deserved modern infrastructure and public welfare projects. She referred to improved road networks, electric bus services, and the Apni Chhat Apna Ghar housing programme as examples of initiatives that could also benefit the region.

  • |

    Fernandez defends Argentina after World Cup Final controversies

    BUENOS AIRES: Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez has defended his team’s FIFA World Cup 2026 campaign, saying the players represented their country “in the best possible way” despite a series of controversial incidents that overshadowed their run to the final. The Chelsea star shared an emotional message on social media after Argentina’s 1-0 extra-time defeat to Spain in Sunday’s World Cup final, insisting the team had given everything for the national jersey throughout the tournament. Fernandez’s own campaign ended on a disappointing note after he was sent off late in normal time for a second yellow card following a challenge on Spanish defender Pau Cubarsi. Reduced to 10 men, Argentina struggled to contain Spain before Ferran Torres scored the decisive winner in the 106th minute to hand La Roja the world title. The final was also marred by post-match controversy. Reports alleged that midfielder Leandro Paredes attempted to confront members of the Spanish squad during their celebrations, prompting FIFA to open an investigation into possible disciplinary breaches. Argentina’s players also drew criticism after turning their backs while Spain collected their medals and lifted the World Cup trophy. Earlier in the tournament, the team sparked political controversy by displaying a banner reading “Las Malvinas son Argentinas” following their semi-final victory over England. The slogan refers to Argentina’s long-standing claim over the Falkland Islands, a dispute that remains highly sensitive between Argentina and the United Kingdom. Despite the criticism, Fernandez chose to focus on the team’s commitment and unity rather than the controversies. “As time goes by, you realise there is something much bigger than just a result,” he wrote. “For years, this group has represented Argentina in the best possible way. Competing is not only about winning, but about giving everything for the shirt and never giving up.” The 25-year-old also thanked Argentina’s supporters for standing by the team throughout the tournament, describing wearing the national jersey as the greatest honour of his career. Fernandez, who lifted the FIFA World Cup with Argentina in Qatar in 2022, admitted that missing out on a second consecutive title was painful but vowed to continue giving his all whenever he represents his country. Although Argentina fell short in the final, Fernandez’s message sought to shift the focus from controversy to the dedication and determination shown by the squad throughout their journey to another World Cup final.

  • | |

    Over 60,000 Gaza children lose parents amid ongoing war

    More than 60,000 children in Gaza have lost at least one parent since the conflict began in October 2023, according to figures released by the Palestinian health ministry on Wednesday. The ministry reported that 60,737 children had either been orphaned or left with only one surviving parent. Of these, 52,095 children lost their fathers, while 5,929 lost their mothers. Another 2,713 children lost both parents during the conflict. The figures highlight the devastating impact of prolonged violence on children across the Gaza Strip. The ministry also reported that thousands of families had been completely erased from Gaza’s civil registry. According to its figures, 2,276 families comprising 8,858 people have been wiped out during the conflict. The overall death toll in Gaza has also exceeded 73,000 since the start of the war, the ministry said. A ceasefire reached in October has failed to end all violence in the territory. Palestinian authorities say Israeli forces have continued carrying out strikes, with more than 1,100 people reportedly killed since the truce began. The latest figures have renewed concerns over the humanitarian consequences of the conflict. Thousands of children have been left without one or both parents, while many families have lost multiple members. The United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry has also documented serious violations involving Palestinian children. In a report released in June, the commission said Israeli authorities and security forces had deliberately targeted Palestinian children. It alleged that violations amounted to genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Gaza, as well as war crimes in the occupied West Bank. The commission examined alleged violations against Palestinian children since the conflict began on October 7, 2023. It found that children accounted for around 30 per cent of those killed in the Gaza war. In an earlier report released in September, the commission concluded that Israel had committed genocide in Gaza and said senior Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, had contributed to incitement. Israel has rejected the accusations, describing them as unfounded and deeply offensive. The latest Palestinian figures underline the long-term consequences of the conflict for Gaza’s youngest population. Beyond the immediate loss of life, thousands of children are now facing life without parents, while entire families have disappeared from official records.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *