ajk fully prepared
| | |

AJK fully prepared for polls as Mirpur voting begi…

MUZAFFARABAD, July 26: Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) authorities have completed preparations for the first phase of the general elections, with polling scheduled to begin in the Mirpur division on Monday.

AJK Chief Secretary Khushal Khan said all necessary arrangements had been finalised for the elections. He assured voters that the process would be conducted peacefully, transparently and fairly.

Speaking at a joint press conference with Election Commission Secretary Raja Mohammad Shakeel Khan, the chief secretary said the formal election process would begin on July 27 in accordance with the Constitution.

He said polling material had already been sent to returning officers and all state institutions were ready to perform their responsibilities during the elections.

Around 17,000 security personnel have been deployed to maintain peace during polling. Police contingents from all four provinces will also assist AJK Police with security arrangements.

Khushal warned that strict legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to disturb law and order or interfere with the electoral process.

Authorities are also monitoring social media activity ahead of polling. The chief secretary said action would be taken against individuals involved in spreading misleading propaganda aimed at creating confusion or disrupting the elections.

Election Commission Secretary Raja Mohammad Shakeel Khan said preparations for the first phase in Mirpur division had been completed. Polling material has already been delivered to the relevant polling stations.

Around 22,000 election staff have been assigned duties for the voting process. Khan said election personnel had received training to ensure that polling is conducted efficiently and transparently.

He said the chief election commissioner recently visited Mirpur and expressed satisfaction with the arrangements.

Police, Rangers and the Federal Constabulary have also been placed on high alert. Security officials will remain deployed to protect polling stations and voters.

Khan urged citizens to participate in the elections. He described voting as one of the most important democratic rights available to the public.

He also warned voters about misleading material circulating online. According to him, old videos related to election boycotts were being reshared on social media to create confusion.

The election official said no major untoward incident had been reported during the campaign. He added that political parties and candidates had accepted the election code of conduct.

He urged voters to ignore rumours and uncertainty and cast their votes for their preferred candidates.

The first phase of the AJK general elections will be held across Mirpur division on July 27.

The AJK Information Department has separately urged media organisations and journalists to exercise extra caution during election coverage. It asked them to publish only verified and balanced information, particularly during polling, counting and the announcement of results.

The department also warned against sharing unverified material that could create panic, confuse voters or affect public order during the sensitive election period.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Oil prices climb on fears of prolonged Middle East supply disruptions

    LONDON: Global oil prices moved higher on Friday and remained on course for weekly gains as fresh threats from the United States to maintain an indefinite naval blockade of Iran heightened concerns over the security of crude shipments from the Middle East. Brent crude futures gained $1.43, or 1.64%, to reach $88.50 a barrel by 0810 GMT. US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude also advanced, rising $1.56, or 1.92%, to $82.81 a barrel. The latest rally reflected growing market anxiety that the conflict in the region could persist for an extended period, potentially placing further pressure on one of the world’s most important oil supply routes. Bjarne Schieldrop, chief analyst at SEB Research, said the prospect of prolonged US pressure on Iran had increased uncertainty in the oil market. He noted that the latest developments offered little indication of a quick return to normal conditions in the region. US pressure raises supply concerns Oil markets reacted strongly after the United States warned on Thursday that its naval blockade of Iran could continue indefinitely while Washington considers additional economic measures against Tehran. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the administration was preparing further measures aimed at increasing economic pressure on Iran, signalling that Washington could take steps beyond those already announced. The comments added to concerns that tensions between the United States and Iran could remain elevated, making it more difficult for shipping and energy companies to operate normally in the region. Schieldrop said expectations for a rapid restoration of regular shipping through the Strait of Hormuz had weakened significantly as a result of the latest developments. The waterway is particularly important to global energy markets. Before the current conflict began in late February, roughly one-fifth of the world’s daily oil and liquefied natural gas supplies passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Any prolonged disruption could therefore have consequences far beyond the Middle East, potentially affecting crude availability, transportation costs and fuel prices in major consuming markets. Strait of Hormuz traffic under pressure Shipping activity through the strategic waterway declined below the monthly average toward the end of the week as tensions increased and both sides issued competing claims regarding control of the passage. The situation escalated further on Thursday when two vessels belonging to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company were attacked while travelling through the strait, according to the UAE’s state news agency WAM. The UAE government condemned the incident and attributed the attack to Iran, adding another layer of uncertainty for commercial shipping operators using the vital route. Market participants are closely monitoring developments in the strait because even a partial disruption could force vessels to take longer and more expensive alternative routes. Demand outlook limits oil gains Despite the immediate supply concerns, expectations of weaker global oil demand growth are acting as a counterweight to the price rally. Recent forecasts from the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and the International Energy Agency (IEA) have pointed towards slower growth in oil consumption, suggesting that demand may not be strong enough to absorb a prolonged increase in prices without affecting economic activity. US inventory data also provided a bearish signal. American crude stockpiles recorded their biggest weekly increase in more than three and a half years, indicating that supplies in the world’s largest oil-consuming economy remain relatively comfortable. Norbert Rucker, head of economics and next-generation research at Julius Baer, said recent reports from the IEA and US Energy Information Administration showed that oil storage levels were holding up better than markets had initially feared. According to Rucker, stronger-than-expected inventories could eventually put downward pressure on crude prices if geopolitical risks ease. For now, however, the possibility of further escalation between Washington and Tehran is keeping traders focused on supply risks. The market is expected to remain highly sensitive to developments surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, particularly any signs of prolonged restrictions on tanker movements. Analysts said the direction of oil prices in the coming sessions would depend on whether geopolitical tensions intensify further or whether diplomatic efforts succeed in restoring more predictable shipping and energy flows from the region.

  • Thailand denies false reports about visa-free entry limits

    BANGKOK – The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society has issued a strong warning regarding false information circulating online about a supposed cap on visa-free entry into Thailand. The fake announcement claimed foreigners would be limited to just two visa-free entries per year. Thailand Launches National Crackdown on Foreigners Abusing Visa-Free Entries In a statement, […]

  • | |

    IHC issues cause list with eight benches for next …

    The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Registrar’s Office has issued the cause list for the upcoming week. According to the cause list, eight benches will be available to hear cases during the week. These include six single benches and two division benches. The court has constituted two division benches to hear cases involving matters requiring consideration by two judges. The first division bench will comprise Justice Khadim Hussain Soomro and Justice Umair Majid Malik. The second division bench will consist of Justice Muhammad Asif and Justice Shah Rukh Arjumand. The cause list also includes six single benches. These benches will hear cases assigned to individual judges during the upcoming week. The six single benches will comprise Justice Sarfraz Dogar, Justice Khadim Hussain Soomro, Justice Muhammad Asif, Justice Ayaz Shaukat, Justice Umair Majid Malik and Justice Shah Rukh Arjumand. The Registrar’s Office has issued the schedule as part of the court’s regular judicial proceedings. Cases listed before the respective benches will be taken up according to the cause list. The cause list determines which cases are scheduled for hearing and which judges will hear them. Lawyers and litigants will appear before the relevant benches on the dates fixed by the court. The Islamabad High Court will continue hearing cases through the six single benches and two division benches during the coming week.

  • | |

    Stephen Baldwin explains why he chose faith over H…

    Stephen Baldwin has opened up about one of the biggest decisions of his career, revealing why he stepped away from mainstream Hollywood despite enjoying major success in the 1990s. The actor said he deliberately chose a different path from fellow movie star Tom Cruise, explaining that fame and blockbuster success were never his ultimate goals.  Baldwin, now 60, reflected on his career in a recent interview with People, looking back at the period following his acclaimed performance in the Oscar-winning film The Usual Suspects. At the time, many believed he was on track to become one of Hollywood’s biggest stars. Instead, Baldwin said he decided to walk away from that path after experiencing a profound change in his personal life.  “I didn’t want to be Tom Cruise and have to make $100 million at the box office,” Baldwin said, adding that he preferred living a simpler life over chasing blockbuster success. He stressed that the comment was not intended as criticism of Cruise but as an explanation of his own priorities and ambitions.  According to Baldwin, everything changed in the early 2000s when he became a born-again Christian. His spiritual journey began after a Brazilian housekeeper working for his family shared what he described as a prophetic message, saying he and his wife, Kennya Baldwin, would one day dedicate their lives to ministry. Although skeptical at first, Baldwin said his perspective shifted after attending Christian events with his sister Beth Baldwin.  One event featuring Christian skateboarders particularly inspired him. The experience led him to create Livin It, a faith-based skateboarding video that combined extreme sports with Christian teachings. The project became a success and eventually grew into a nationwide ministry that took Baldwin to more than 125 churches over four years. That, he said, was the moment he realized his future was no longer in mainstream Hollywood.  Since then, Baldwin has focused on producing faith-based content while remaining active through podcasts, speaking engagements and independent projects. He admitted that his outspoken religious beliefs and political views may have made him less appealing to traditional Hollywood studios, but he has no regrets about the direction his life has taken.  The actor also credited his family for keeping him grounded. Married to Kennya Baldwin since 1990, he said his wife has been his “anchor,” while describing his faith as the foundation of everything he does. As the father of Hailey Bieber and grandfather to two young children, Baldwin said family remains his greatest blessing.  Looking back, Baldwin believes choosing purpose over fame was the right decision. While his career could have followed a more conventional Hollywood trajectory, he says he found greater fulfillment by dedicating his life to faith, family and meaningful work. Rather than measuring success by box office numbers, Baldwin now defines it through the impact he can have on others and remains convinced that his best years are still ahead. 

  • | |

    Nestle turns to AI to build products for weight lo…

    Nestle is working to convert the rapid rise of GLP-1 weight loss drugs from a business threat into an opportunity, deploying artificial intelligence and nutritional research to develop products aimed at the millions of consumers now taking medications like Ozempic and Wegovy. The fast growing adoption of drugs made by Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly has raised concerns among investors that appetite suppressing medications could permanently dent demand for packaged foods, snacks and beverages. Nestle sees the same trend differently, believing the drugs are creating a new market for products that address the side effects associated with rapid weight loss. Chief Technology Officer Stefan Palzer told a foreign news agency that Nestle is using artificial intelligence and other technology to analyze clinical research, identify effective nutrient combinations and build products tailored specifically to GLP-1 users. He said the company believes its existing product portfolio positions it well to capture what he described as a major opportunity. Materials shown to reporters outlined side effects tied to rapid weight loss, including muscle loss and the loss of facial volume sometimes referred to informally as Ozempic face, along with areas where Nestle believes its products could help address those issues. The GLP-1 drug market remains dominated by Eli Lilly’s Mounjaro and Zepbound alongside Novo Nordisk’s Wegovy and Ozempic. Roughly 16 million Americans currently take GLP-1 medications, according to Boston Consulting Group, a number expected to grow significantly by the end of the decade. Nestle’s strategy centers on developing products suited to the needs of weight loss drug users while relying on AI to speed up research, product development and consumer analysis. Addressing side effects directly Palzer said Nestle scientists have spent time studying the downstream effects of rapid weight loss and building products intended to help consumers manage them. The company uses AI tools to process large volumes of clinical research and identify nutrient combinations that may support muscle health, hydration and overall nutritional intake. Nestle has already begun adding collagen protein to products under its Vital Proteins brand to address concerns about skin, hair and nail health linked to rapid weight loss. In the United States, Nestle’s business created the Boost Advanced Nutrition Shake, marketed as containing 35 grams of protein to support muscle health during weight loss. In Asia and Australia, the company introduced a higher protein version of its Milo malt drink called Milo PRO High Protein. Rival ice cream makers are grappling with similar pressures, shifting toward higher protein products, smaller portions and simpler ingredient lists. An AI powered recipe database Artificial intelligence plays an increasingly central role throughout Nestle’s product development process. The company has built internal systems to analyze scientific literature, simulate consumer behavior, spot emerging trends and help product developers navigate a database containing roughly 120,000 recipes. One such tool, an internal platform called Food Genie, helps scientists and developers predict how recipes might perform and identify opportunities for reformulation, according to Palzer. He said the scale of Nestle’s recipe database gives the company an advantage, noting that a smaller company with only a thousand recipes would struggle to model and predict outcomes using AI, since the technology depends heavily on large volumes of data. Nestle is also testing AI driven consumer simulations designed to predict how shoppers will respond to new products and health claims before they reach store shelves, and the company uses AI to monitor social media activity and identify emerging consumer trends. Palzer said the technology helps distinguish genuine, lasting trends from short term noise around particular topics, and said he expects AI to play a growing role in that kind of trend analysis going forward. Skepticism remains among some experts Not everyone is convinced specialized products offer meaningful advantages over conventional food. Amanda Avery, an associate professor of nutrition and dietetics at the University of Nottingham in central England, said it is unfortunate that consumers keep turning to new, more expensive products that often contain the same protein and nutrients found in whole, fresh foods. She noted that meat, fish, eggs, dairy, beans, nuts and pulses remain relatively affordable sources of protein and other nutrients. Even so, Avery said she expects products marketed specifically to GLP-1 users to find a ready customer base, acknowledging that marketing exerts significant influence over consumer choices and suggesting Nestle has likely done its homework before entering the space.

  • Thailand Fast-Tracks Deportation Rules for Foreigners Violating Laws and Social Norms

    BANGKOK – Thailand’s Cabinet has approved a new draft regulation to quickly deport foreign nationals who violate local laws or act against Thai social norms. Spearheaded by Deputy Prime Minister Pakorn Nilprapunt, the measure aims to replace outdated, slow administrative procedures. It allows authorities to swiftly remove those who commit crimes, work illegally, or threaten […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *