ajk poll body
| |

AJK poll body issues strict election warning

The Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Election Commission has warned political parties and election candidates against violating the electoral code of conduct ahead of the upcoming general elections.

The commission said strict action would be taken against anyone found using government resources or machinery for election campaigning.

An AJK Election Commission spokesperson said federal and provincial ministers could participate in election campaigns but would not be allowed to use official protocol, vehicles or government resources for political purposes.

The commission also prohibited the announcement of new development schemes, financial packages and public welfare projects during the election campaign. Any such announcement would be treated as a violation of the electoral code.

The spokesperson warned that vehicles, equipment and relief supplies provided by the federal or provincial governments could be confiscated if they were used for electoral purposes. Legal action would also be taken against those responsible for violations.

The warning came during a meeting in Mirpur chaired by AJK Chief Election Commissioner Ghulam Mustafa Mughal to review preparations for the upcoming polls.

Senior officials from the Election Commission, district administrations and police departments attended the meeting. Officials briefed the chief election commissioner on security and administrative arrangements in Mirpur, Kotli and Bhimber.

Mughal expressed satisfaction with the preparations and stressed that the elections must be conducted in a peaceful, free, fair and impartial manner.

He said all relevant institutions would have to work together to ensure the smooth completion of the polling process and counter rumours surrounding the elections.

The chief election commissioner said security agencies were responsible for protecting polling stations, voters and election staff. He added that security forces had begun arriving at polling stations ahead of the phased voting process.

Mughal also rejected concerns that holding elections in phases could allow results from one division to influence voting in another. He said AJK had its own political and local dynamics and that the phased polling arrangement would not affect the integrity of the election process.

The AJK Election Commission had earlier announced that polling would begin on July 27 and take place in three phases.

Voting in Mirpur Division is scheduled for July 27. Muzaffarabad Division and 12 refugee constituencies will vote on August 2, while polling in Poonch Division will be held on August 10.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Malaysian PM Anwar Ibrahim undergoes medical proce…

    KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim is undergoing medical examinations and procedures, with his aide saying he is expected to remain under observation for two days. Anwar’s Press Secretary Tunku Nashrul Abaidah confirmed the development on Monday but did not disclose details about the nature of the medical procedures or the condition that prompted them. In a statement, the aide said Anwar was undergoing examinations and procedures arranged by a team of medical experts. The statement also appealed for prayers for the premier’s health and expressed hope that he would be able to return to his regular duties soon. “Let us pray … that he is blessed with long-lasting health so that he can return to his usual duties in the near future,” the statement said. The news prompted a message of support from Pakistan, with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif wishing his Malaysian counterpart a swift recovery. “Wishing my dear brother, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, a swift and smooth recovery during his medical procedures,” Shehbaz wrote in a post on X. He added that the people of Pakistan were joining him in praying for Anwar’s continued good health and well-being, reflecting the close ties between the two countries. Anwar, who turned 79 on Monday, has served as Malaysia’s prime minister since 2022. His current medical observation has drawn attention partly because of previous health issues involving his back and shoulder. The Malaysian leader was hospitalised in 2018 after experiencing shoulder and back pain. More recently, he cancelled a planned visit to Pahang state in November last year because of back discomfort. Despite those previous problems, Anwar received a clean bill of health following a routine medical examination in January, according to a statement from the hospital where the check-up was conducted. The latest announcement has not indicated that Anwar is facing any serious health condition. Officials have also not provided details about when he is expected to leave medical care or resume his full schedule. For now, the Malaysian government and Anwar’s supporters are awaiting further updates from his medical team. His aide’s statement sought to reassure the public while asking for prayers as the veteran politician undergoes the procedures. Anwar’s health is closely watched as he continues to lead Malaysia through a period of economic and political challenges, making his expected return to official duties a matter of considerable public interest.

  • |

    Zara Noor Abbas grabs attention with slimmer figure

    Pakistani actress Zara Noor Abbas has left fans surprised with her noticeably slimmer appearance and a fresh new look. The actress, who is known for her strong performances and distinctive personality, has recently been sharing pictures on social media that highlight a visible transformation in her physique and fashion style. Zara Noor Abbas enjoys a strong following among Pakistani entertainment fans, with more than 6.7 million followers on Instagram. She is married to actor Asad Siddiqui, and the couple welcomed their daughter, Noor Jahan, in 2024. Since becoming a mother, Zara has continued to remain active in the entertainment industry while also frequently sharing glimpses of her personal and professional life with her followers. The actress recently attracted considerable attention for her performance in the drama Dil Dhoondta Hai Phir Wohi. Her appearance in the project also became a topic of discussion after she gained weight for the role. While her transformation was connected to her professional work, it unfortunately exposed her to criticism and body-shaming comments on social media. However, Zara has now surprised her followers with a noticeably different appearance. In recent social media posts, the actress has been seen wearing a variety of Western-style outfits while confidently showing off her slimmer figure. Her latest pictures have sparked considerable discussion among fans, with many noticing the difference in her overall appearance and styling. The actress appears to have embraced a more confident and contemporary fashion aesthetic. Her recent looks include stylish Western outfits that complement her changed physique, while her overall presentation reflects a renewed sense of confidence. Fans have responded to Zara’s transformation with mixed reactions. Many praised her new look and complimented her fashion choices, saying that she appears stylish and confident. Others, however, pointed out that the actress had always looked beautiful and questioned why she felt the need to lose weight in the first place. Her dramatic change in appearance has also led to speculation among some social media users. A few commenters attempted to link her weight loss to Ozempic, a medication that has gained widespread attention because of its association with weight management. However, there is no confirmed information that Zara used Ozempic, and such speculation remains unverified. Despite the discussions surrounding her transformation, Zara has continued to confidently share her latest pictures with her followers. Her recent appearance has once again placed her in the spotlight, with fans closely following her evolving style and fitness journey. Whether discussing her acting, fashion choices, or personal transformation, Zara Noor Abbas continues to attract significant attention online. Her latest weight-loss transformation has generated a wide range of reactions, but the actress appears comfortable with her new look and is embracing her changing style with confidence.

  • | |

    Sajal Aly’s edgy photoshoot sparks debate

    Pakistani actor Sajal Aly has become the centre of attention after unveiling a dramatic new fashion photoshoot that has generated widespread discussion across social media. Known for her elegant screen presence and natural beauty, the award-winning star surprised fans by embracing a bold, gothic-inspired look that marked a sharp departure from her recent television appearance. Sajal, who is currently earning praise for her performance as Rabiya in the drama Zanjeerain, transformed her image for the latest editorial shoot by wearing a long black wig, dark-toned makeup and all-black designer outfits. The high-fashion concept presented the actor in a mysterious and unconventional style rarely seen by her fans. The photos quickly went viral, attracting thousands of reactions on social media. While many fashion enthusiasts applauded Sajal for experimenting with a new aesthetic and praised her confidence in carrying such a challenging look, others expressed surprise and preferred her more natural on-screen appearance. Several users admired the actor’s willingness to step outside her comfort zone, describing the photoshoot as artistic, stylish and visually striking. Supporters said the concept showcased her versatility as a model and performer, proving she can adapt to different fashion trends with ease. However, not everyone was convinced by the transformation. Some social media users compared her appearance to fictional gothic characters, while others questioned the styling, saying they preferred the softer and more traditional look she has become known for in television dramas. A few comments also criticised the makeup and styling, arguing that it did not complement her usual appearance. Despite the divided opinions, the photoshoot has succeeded in creating a strong online buzz, with fans and fashion followers continuing to debate the creative direction behind the project. Industry observers note that celebrity fashion editorials often aim to challenge conventional beauty standards and encourage artistic expression rather than reflect everyday style. Sajal Aly has built a reputation as one of Pakistan’s most accomplished actors through her performances in numerous hit television dramas and films. Beyond her acting career, she has also become a prominent fashion icon whose public appearances and photoshoots frequently attract attention

  • |

    Ancient Roman shipwreck found off Sicily carrying hundreds of 2,000-year-old amphorae

    Italian authorities have uncovered an ancient Roman merchant ship off the coast of Sicily, dating back to the 2nd or 1st Century BC. The vessel was discovered lying 46 metres underwater roughly three nautical miles off Mazara del Vallo. Measuring 21 metres long and 6 metres wide, the vessel’s cargo holds remain piled with hundreds of well-preserved amphorae, primarily Dressel 1A ceramic jars used during the late Roman Republic to transport commodities such as wine, olive oil, and grain. Italian Culture Minister Alessandro Giuli described the site as “one of the most important underwater archaeological discoveries of recent years”. Local fisherman and free-diver Giacomo De Mola first flagged the site after detecting an anomaly on his sonar scanner that resembled a massive reef or rock. Upon diving down to investigate, he encountered the intact cargo mound surrounded by marine life. Following De Mola’s report, specialist divers from the Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage (Carabinieri Art Squad), working alongside the Sicilian Region’s Superintendency of the Sea, were dispatched to survey and document the seabed. Archaeologists also identified two lead anchor stocks alongside the vessel’s structure. Italian maritime authorities have implemented security measures to safeguard the wreckage from illicit looting while further documentation and cargo analysis take place.

  • | |

    Dr Summaiya flags 14 flaws in Mir Raza Ali post-mo…

    KARACHI: Police Surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed has identified 14 serious deficiencies in the post-mortem examination of Mir Raza Ali and formally raised concerns with the police, calling for a thorough review of the forensic findings. In a letter addressed to the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) District East, Dr Summaiya questioned the quality and completeness of the autopsy report prepared by Dr Osama Sheikh. She highlighted several procedural and forensic shortcomings that, according to her, could affect the accuracy and credibility of the investigation. According to the letter, no X-rays were conducted on the body before or during the post-mortem examination. Dr Summaiya stated that such imaging is a standard forensic requirement and can help identify bullet trajectories, fractures and other internal injuries that may not be visible during a routine examination. She further pointed out that no chemical analysis was carried out to determine the presence of gunpowder residue around the entry wound. The absence of such testing, she noted, limits the ability to determine the firing distance and other important forensic details. The police surgeon also stated that the internal examination of the skull and neck was not performed. She said these examinations are essential in cases involving firearm injuries, particularly when determining the exact cause of death and the path of the bullet. Dr Samia’s letter also criticised the documentation process followed during the autopsy. She said no measurement scale was used while recording the injuries, making it difficult to accurately assess the size of the wounds. She added that photographs of the injuries were not taken in accordance with accepted forensic standards. She further observed that the report did not adequately explain the bone characteristics associated with the entry and exit wounds, making the injury assessment incomplete. The letter also highlighted that the nature and stage of decomposition of the body had not been clearly described in the report. According to Dr Summaiya, documenting decomposition is important in estimating the time of death and assessing the condition of the body. Another major concern raised was the reported size of the wounds. The post-mortem report recorded the entry wound as significantly larger than the exit wound, a finding Dr Summaiya described as unusual and requiring immediate re-examination and verification. She also questioned the identification process, stating that although the face of the deceased was reportedly unrecognisable, no DNA sample was collected to scientifically confirm the identity of the body. Dr Summaiya urged the investigating authorities to carefully review the post-mortem findings and address the identified shortcomings to ensure that the forensic investigation meets professional standards and supports a fair and transparent legal process.

  • | |

    Three minors allegedly sexually abused in Chakwal;…

    CHAKWAL: Three minors were allegedly subjected to sexual abuse in separate incidents reported in Chakwal district, with police registering cases against the suspects and arresting three men, including a mosque imam, while two others were taken into custody after an alleged exchange of fire. The incidents, reported in the jurisdictions of Wanhar and Kallar Kahar police stations, have caused concern among residents and prompted calls for effective protection of children and swift action against those found responsible. In the first case, a 10-year-old girl was allegedly sexually assaulted by a local mosque imam after other children attending Quran lessons had left the mosque, according to the complaint lodged by her father with Wanhar police. The complainant said his two daughters regularly went to a nearby mosque in Mohallah Bawa Khan Baig to learn Quranic recitation. On the day of the alleged incident, the imam allegedly sent the 5years younger sister home early and dismissed the other children after hearing their lessons. According to the complaint, the suspect then allegedly called the 10-year-old girl into a room and sexually assaulted her. The girl was allegedly threatened with a knife and warned that she would be killed if she disclosed the incident to anyone. Police registered a case against the imam and launched an investigation. The suspect was subsequently arrested in an injured condition during an operation in the Manara area, police said. According to police, a raid on Wasnal Road, Manara, to arrest the suspect when he allegedly attempted to flee after seeing the police party. Police said the suspect stumbled and fell while fleeing, causing a pistol allegedly concealed in his waistband to discharge. He sustained a gunshot wound and was arrested before being shifted to the Trauma Centre in Kallar Kahar for medical treatment. The suspect was identified as Maulvi Saqlain Hussain, son of Nazar Hussain, a resident of Manara. In a separate incident within the jurisdiction of Kallar Kahar police station, a 16-year-old boy was allegedly sexually assaulted by a man who was staying at a local mosque in Shamsabad, near Khai village. According to the complaint filed by the boy’s father, who is a prayer leader at the mosque, the suspect allegedly assaulted his son and later attempted to assault him again. The complainant said the boy had initially remained silent about the alleged earlier incident out of fear. However, when he went to serve food to the traveller staying at the mosque, a commotion was heard after some time. The mosque caretaker and the boy’s father allegedly reached the spot and saw the suspect attempting to assault the boy, prompting the suspect to flee, according to the complaint. The boy later informed his father about the alleged earlier incident as well. In the third incident, two men allegedly involved in the sexual assault of a Class 10 student were arrested in an injured condition following an alleged exchange of fire in Chak Nagri, an area falling within Wanhar police jurisdiction. According to police, the suspects and two unidentified accomplices had allegedly taken the student to a nearby forest several days earlier, subjected him to severe physical assault and sexually assaulted him. Police alleged that the suspects recorded the incident and subsequently used the video to blackmail and intimidate the student. A police team later raided the suspected hideout to arrest the accused, police said. The suspects allegedly opened fire on the police party along with their two unidentified accomplices. During the ensuing exchange of fire, the two wanted suspects sustained gunshot wounds, allegedly after being hit by firing from their own accomplices, according to police. The two unidentified men escaped under the cover of darkness and the forest terrain. The injured suspects were arrested and shifted to a medical facility for treatment. Police said further investigation and legal proceedings were under way. The three cases have highlighted concerns over the vulnerability of children to sexual violence and exploitation. Residents have called for prompt investigation of the allegations, protection of the victims and strict action against suspects if the charges are established in court. Police officials said investigations into all the cases were continuing and that further action would be taken in accordance with the law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *