chelsea complete million
| |

Chelsea complete £52 million signing of France defender Maxence Lacroix from Crystal Palace

Chelsea have signed France international defender Maxence Lacroix from Crystal Palace in a deal reported to be worth 52 million pounds, or roughly 69 million dollars.

Lacroix has put pen to paper on a six year contract with the Blues and will now join his new teammates for pre season training. The 26 year old has earned seven caps for France and featured for his country at the recent World Cup.

Speaking after the move was confirmed, Lacroix said he felt proud to become part of a club with Chelsea’s history and winning tradition. He said his conversation with the club’s manager convinced him they share the same vision and ambition, adding that the quality of the squad and the resources around the club make winning trophies a realistic goal he is eager to help achieve.

Lacroix joined Crystal Palace from Wolfsburg in 2024 and went on to make 98 appearances for the club. During his time at Selhurst Park, he helped Palace win the FA Cup, the UEFA Conference League and the Community Shield.

The defender becomes the latest addition to new Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso’s rebuilding effort this close season. Alonso has already overseen a British record 117 million pound deal for Aston Villa forward Morgan Rogers and a 47 million pound move for Atalanta right back Marco Palestra. Winger Geovany Quenda and forward Emmanuel Emegha have also joined the club, completing transfers that were initially agreed last year. Chelsea have further been linked with moves for Brighton striker Danny Welbeck and Brentford midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Alonso took charge of the club on July 1 and is tasked with reviving a Chelsea side that finished a disappointing 10th in the Premier League last season, a result that left the club without European football for the upcoming campaign.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Ahad Raza Mir and Yumna Zaidi to star in Hum TV’s Cafe Firaq

    Ahad Raza Mir is all set to return to Hum TV with an exciting new project, and this time he will be sharing the screen with one of Pakistan’s most celebrated actresses, Yumna Zaidi. The highly anticipated drama, titled Cafe Firaq, has already created significant buzz among drama enthusiasts, thanks to its impressive cast and creative team. Ahad Raza Mir has established himself as one of Pakistan’s leading television actors in a relatively short span of time. He made his acting debut with Sammi and quickly gained recognition for his performances in several successful dramas. Over the years, he has built a reputation for portraying diverse characters and delivering memorable performances. He is currently receiving praise for his role as Haroon Malik in Green Entertainment’s drama Aik Mohabbat Aur, where his performance has once again won the appreciation of viewers. For the past few months, there had been widespread speculation about Ahad Raza Mir’s return to Hum TV. Fans had been eagerly waiting for confirmation of his next major television project, and it now appears that the actor has signed one of the channel’s most anticipated upcoming productions. Joining him in Cafe Firaq is award-winning actress Yumna Zaidi, who remains one of the biggest names in the Pakistani entertainment industry. Known for her ability to transform into every character she plays, Yumna has consistently delivered critically acclaimed performances throughout her career. Her versatility and dedication have earned her a loyal fan following both in Pakistan and internationally. The actress was last seen in Qarz-e-Jaan, after which she has stayed away from television screens, making fans even more eager for her next project. Cafe Firaq will mark her much-awaited return to Hum TV, and viewers are particularly excited to see her paired with Ahad Raza Mir for the first time in a major television serial. The upcoming drama is written by renowned novelist and screenwriter Hashim Nadeem, whose scripts have produced several memorable television hits over the years. His projects are known for combining emotional storytelling with compelling characters, making every new announcement from the writer a topic of discussion among drama lovers. Direction for Cafe Firaq will be handled by Ali Hassan, while the production is expected to feature a strong supporting cast alongside its lead stars. According to reports, the casting process has now been finalized, increasing anticipation for the official launch of the drama. The collaboration of Ahad Raza Mir, Yumna Zaidi, Hashim Nadeem, and Ali Hassan has already generated considerable excitement on social media. Fans are looking forward to seeing how the fresh on-screen pairing and the much-talked-about script come together in what is expected to be one of Hum TV’s biggest projects. Although the makers have yet to announce an official premiere date, Cafe Firaq is expected to go on air toward the end of 2026 or in early 2027. Until then, viewers will be eagerly awaiting teasers, first-look posters, and further updates about what promises to be one of the most anticipated Pakistani dramas of the coming television season.

  • |

    FIA arrests 15 passport agents in crackdown outside regional passport offices

    GUJRANWALA: The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Gujranwala Zone has arrested 15 alleged agents during a coordinated crackdown on individuals operating outside passport offices in Gujranwala, Gujrat and Sialkot, accusing them of illegally charging citizens by promising expedited passport processing. The operation was launched on the directions of FIA Director General Dr Usman Anwar and the Director FIA Gujranwala Zone, according to an FIA spokesperson. The spokesperson said the suspects allegedly lured applicants by claiming they could secure passports quickly in exchange for money. Preliminary investigations have also indicated the alleged involvement of some passport office officials, and further inquiries are underway to determine their role. According to the FIA, seven suspects were arrested by the Gujranwala Circle, three by the Gujrat Circle and five by the Sialkot Circle. Those arrested in Gujranwala were identified as Hafiz Ayub, Muhammad Afzal, Muhammad Tariq, Ali Hassan, Muhammad Asad, Jamshed Ali and Sajjad Ali. An FIR (No. 578/2026), dated July 22, 2026, has been registered against them under Section 6 of the Passport Act, 1974, along with Sections 419, 420 and 34 of the Pakistan Penal Code. In Gujrat, FIA officials conducted a raid outside the Passport Office in Mandi Bahauddin and arrested Zahid Iqbal, Zubair Aslam and Shahroz Ali. An FIR (No. 03/2026 ACC), dated July 22, 2026, has been registered against them under Sections 419 and 420 of the Pakistan Penal Code. The FIA said five more suspects were arrested by the Sialkot Circle, where separate cases have also been registered under relevant legal provisions. Their identities were not disclosed in the press release. The agency said investigations are continuing to identify other members of the network and examine the alleged involvement of officials who may have facilitated the illegal activities. The FIA urged the public not to approach unauthorized agents for passports or other government services. Citizens have been advised to deal directly with the relevant government offices and report anyone demanding money or offering illegal facilitation so that legal action can be taken. An FIA spokesperson said the agency would continue its crackdown against agents exploiting citizens and those involved in corruption related to public services.

  • |

    Azad Kashmir goes to polls under revised schedule following civil unrest

    Voting has commenced in the Mirpur division of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) for the first phase of the region’s general elections, following weeks of political instability and civil unrest. The election commission announced a three-phase schedule across 45 assembly constituencies after campaign activities were severely disrupted by protests led by the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), a civil rights movement recently banned under anti-terrorism laws. The unrest primarily stems from JAAC’s demand to abolish 12 legislative seats reserved for Kashmiri refugees living in Pakistan, which the group contends allow mainstream Pakistani political parties to improperly influence local government formation. While the AJK Supreme Court ruled that these reserved seats hold constitutional protection and cannot be removed by executive decree, security remains high across polling areas, with officials warning of strict legal measures against any attempts to disrupt the voting process. Following the Mirpur phase, voting for the Muzaffarabad division and refugee constituencies will take place on August 2, concluding with the Poonch division on August 10.

  • | |

    Iran war spreads beyond Gulf, raising regional ten…

    WASHINGTON: The conflict involving Iran widened significantly over the weekend, spilling into the Red Sea and the Caspian Sea despite a temporary halt in direct US military strikes, raising fresh concerns over regional stability and global energy security. The United States military confirmed that its naval blockade against Iran remains in place but offered no explanation for suspending a series of nightly airstrikes that had continued for nearly two weeks. A senior official in President Donald Trump’s administration said Washington still preferred a diplomatic solution, while warning that Iran would face serious consequences if negotiations failed. According to US media reports, President Trump has decided to pause plans for intensified military action after advisers expressed concerns about the risks of expanding the conflict, including pressure on US weapons stockpiles, potential strain on relations with Gulf allies and disruptions to global energy markets. While the Gulf region remained relatively calm, tensions escalated elsewhere. Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi movement claimed responsibility for missile and drone attacks targeting Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Jizan and Yanbu along the Red Sea coast. Videos circulating online showed smoke rising near the Jizan refinery, one of Saudi Arabia’s major oil-processing sites, while Saudi air defences reportedly intercepted additional missiles aimed at Yanbu. The attacks have heightened fears that the conflict could spread further across key international shipping routes, particularly after earlier disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz. Despite the escalation, Houthi officials said they were not seeking to block the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, another vital maritime corridor for global trade. Meanwhile, Iran accused Ukraine of attacking one of its commercial vessels in the Caspian Sea, claiming the strike killed one sailor and injured another. Tehran summoned Ukraine’s senior diplomat to lodge a formal protest, describing the alleged attack as a hostile act. The accusation came shortly after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia had been providing Iran with satellite intelligence to assist its military operations in the region. In Yemen, fighting also intensified as forces aligned with the internationally recognised government launched airstrikes on Houthi positions in Marib and Al-Jawf provinces. Military officials reported troop movements on both sides, raising concerns that the country’s fragile ceasefire has effectively collapsed after years of relative calm. Analysts warn that the expanding conflict now threatens to destabilise multiple regions simultaneously, with growing risks to international shipping, oil supplies and broader Middle East security.

  • |

    Love marriage turns fatal in Khanewal as father allegedly kills daughter

    KHANEWAL: A young woman was allegedly murdered by her father and other family members in Khanewal after she married a man of her choice, police said. The incident took place in Chak No. 170, Tens-R, within the jurisdiction of Sadar police station. According to the initial information, the victim, identified as Iqra, had married Muhammad Sohail three days before the incident. Police said Iqra’s father, Falak Sher, allegedly went to his daughter’s in-laws’ residence and persuaded her to accompany him, reportedly assuring the family that she would be sent off respectfully. However, after taking her with him, he allegedly killed her with the assistance of his two brothers and son. The incident came to light after Iqra’s husband, Muhammad Sohail, approached the police and filed a complaint. A murder case was subsequently registered against the deceased’s father, Falak Sher, and his three sons. Following the registration of the case, police arrested Falak Sher and initiated further investigation. Authorities are also working to determine the exact circumstances surrounding the killing and the alleged involvement of other suspects. Rescue officials shifted Iqra’s body to the district headquarters hospital, where doctors conducted a post-mortem examination to establish the cause and nature of her death. The case has once again raised concerns over violence against women who choose to marry according to their own wishes. Police said further legal action would be taken in light of the investigation and evidence collected from the crime scene.

  • |

    Man arrested over US Consulate bomb threat

    A man has been arrested in Halifax, Canada, after allegedly threatening to blow up the US Consulate, triggering a major security operation in the area. According to US media reports, Canadian authorities found flammable materials inside the suspect’s vehicle near the consulate. Police responded quickly to the bomb threat and evacuated several blocks surrounding the diplomatic facility as a precaution. The security operation continued for more than five hours as police and emergency teams searched the area and assessed the potential threat. Authorities later cleared the site and confirmed that there was no longer any danger to the public. Canadian police said they had taken a man into custody in connection with the incident. However, authorities have not yet filed criminal charges against him, and investigators are continuing to examine the circumstances surrounding the threat. The incident prompted heightened security measures around the US diplomatic facility and temporarily disrupted activity in the surrounding area. The security scare comes amid increased concern over attacks targeting US diplomatic facilities in Canada. US media reports that the American Consulate in Toronto has come under gunfire twice this year, although the Halifax incident has not been publicly linked to those attacks. Canadian authorities are expected to continue their investigation to determine the suspect’s motive and whether he intended to carry out an actual attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *