dhabeji power fault
| |

Dhabeji power fault puts Karachi water supply at r…

Karachi’s water supply has come under fresh pressure after a power disruption at the Dhabeji Pumping Station affected the operation of three pumps.

The Karachi Water and Sewerage Corporation (KWSC) warned on Sunday that several areas of the city could experience a temporary reduction in water supply following the disruption.

According to KWSC, the power failure occurred around 8:45am in the third phase of the Dhabeji Pumping Station. The affected section remained without electricity, forcing three pumps to stop working.

The disruption is expected to reduce Karachi’s water supply by around 75 million gallons per day.

Areas that could face lower water pressure or interruptions include North Nazimabad, Nazimabad, Gulberg Town, New Karachi, Landhi, Korangi and Scheme 33.

KWSC said it was coordinating with K-Electric to restore the electricity supply and bring the affected pumps back online. Officials said normal water distribution would resume as soon as the pumps were operational again.

However, K-Electric disputed the cause of the outage. The power utility said the issue was an internal fault in KDA Pumping Feeder 2, which supplies electricity to the Dhabeji station, and was not caused by a problem with its wider distribution network.

K-Electric said electricity to 19 of the station’s 22 pumping motors remained available. Its technical team was also in contact with KWSC to help resolve the problem.

The latest disruption comes as Karachi is already struggling with recurring water shortages and distribution problems.

KWSC officials have previously raised concerns over damage to major water pipelines during ongoing development and construction activities. Officials said excavation work linked to the Red Line Bus Rapid Transit project and the K-IV water project has repeatedly damaged pipelines along University Road.

The repeated damage has disrupted the city’s water distribution network and affected supplies to several neighbourhoods.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Pakistan’s Ehsan Mehsud wins gold at Thailand Taekwondo championship

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s rising taekwondo star Ehsan Mehsud delivered an outstanding performance at an international taekwondo championship in Thailand, securing the gold medal after defeating opponents from Kazakhstan, India, and Sri Lanka in an impressive campaign. Mehsud began his journey in the tournament with a confident victory over a strong competitor from Kazakhstan in the opening round, setting the tone for what would become a memorable performance. His speed, tactical awareness, and attacking style earned him a place in the next stage of the competition. The Pakistani athlete continued his winning momentum in the semi-final, where he faced a formidable opponent from India. Displaying remarkable discipline and technical skill, Mehsud outclassed his rival to book a place in the championship final. In the title clash, Mehsud took on a Sri Lankan athlete and produced another dominant display. Maintaining control throughout the contest, he secured victory to claim the gold medal, bringing international recognition to Pakistan and proudly raising the country’s green crescent flag at the medal ceremony. Speaking after his triumph, Mehsud dedicated the gold medal to the people of Pakistan. He expressed gratitude to Almighty Allah for blessing him with success and thanked his parents for their unwavering prayers and support throughout his sporting journey. The champion said the achievement belonged to the entire nation and hoped his victory would inspire more young athletes to pursue taekwondo and represent Pakistan with pride on the international stage.

  • |

    Galle Gallants go top with 60-run win over Jaffna …

    Sahan Arachchige’s fifty, backed by a resounding bowling effort, powered Galle Gallants to a 60-run victory over Jaffna Kings in the 10th fixture of the Lanka Premier League 2026 at the Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium on Thursday. Set a daunting 194, Kings were bowled out for 133 in 17.5 overs. Tharindu Ratnayake tore through Jaffna Kings’ batting lineup, leaving them at 50-5 at the end of the powerplay. Kamil Mishara scored 15 while Avishka Fernando managed only six. Seasoned batter Shakib Al Hasan was castled without scoring, while Ibrahim Zadran made 11 before holding out to deep square leg. David Wiese and Dunith Wellalage tried to arrest the slide with a 39-run stand, but Wiese departed after scoring 27 from 20 balls. Kings slipped from 89-6 to 99-8 in 12.3 overs. Wellalage resisted with a half-century and eventually emerged as the top scorer with 56 off 39 balls, hitting four fours and sixes. For Gallants, Eshan Malinga and Tharindu Ratnayake remained impressive with the ball, both picking up three wickets. Earlier, Arachchige’s gutsy half-century and Mohammad Nawaz’s cameo propelled Galle Gallants to a strong total. Asked to bat first, Gallants racked up 193-8 in 20 overs despite a jittery start. They slipped to 16-2 and then 86-5 at the halfway mark. Chris Lynn remained the bright spot in the top order, scoring 46 off 22 balls, including four sixes and three fours. With the side in dire trouble at 110-6 in 14.1 overs, Nawaz and Arachchige added 68 off just 30 balls to put Gallants into a strong position. Arachchige hit 63 from 36 balls, including three sixes and four fours, while Nawaz contributed 27 from 16 deliveries, with the aid of two sixes and two fours. Lizaad Williams and Dilshan Madushanka shared four wickets between them. Earlier in the day, Colombo Kaps secured a 23-run win over Kandy Royals in the ninth match played at the same venue. Set 193, Kandy Royals fell short and could only manage 169-8 in 20 overs. Skipper Angelo Mathews top-scored with 53 off 39 balls, but his efforts were not enough to overcome Kaps’ total. The results have shaken up the LPL standings, with Galle Gallants moving to the top of the table. The tournament continues to provide thrilling cricketing action, with teams battling for supremacy in the competitive league. Fans are eagerly anticipating the upcoming fixtures as the race for the playoffs intensifies. The win for Galle Gallants highlights their strong form and depth in both batting and bowling, making them a formidable side in the competition. As the LPL progresses, the performances of players like Arachchige and Ratnayake will be crucial for their team’s success. The league has showcased the talent of Sri Lankan and international players, contributing to the growth of cricket in the region.

  • |

    Afghan fathers struggle as girls remain barred from secondary schools

    KABUL: Afghan fathers are facing growing distress as their daughters remain unable to continue their education beyond primary school under restrictions imposed by the Taliban authorities. Families across Afghanistan say the education ban is creating deep emotional and financial pressure. Some fathers are openly questioning the policy, despite their religious beliefs and support for other government measures. The Taliban administration has defended the restrictions as temporary and based on its interpretation of religious principles. However, many Afghan men say they cannot understand why girls should be prevented from receiving secondary education. A United Nations survey conducted last year found that about nine out of 10 Afghan men considered it important for girls to attend secondary school. Nearly two-thirds also viewed supporting a daughter’s education as a religiously commendable act. Girls were barred from secondary schools after the Taliban returned to power in 2021. Women were later also prohibited from attending universities. The restrictions have affected a large number of young Afghan women and girls. For many families, the approaching end of primary education has become a source of fear. Fathers worry that their daughters will lose their chance to pursue higher education and build professional careers. One father, identified as Ahmad, said he had never imagined that his daughters could be forced to stop studying. His wife is a mathematics teacher who is also unable to continue teaching secondary-level students. Ahmad said his eldest daughter is approaching the end of primary school. The family has considered private and underground educational options, but the cost is difficult to manage. Another father, a doctor identified as Mohammad, said he had always wanted his daughters to attend leading universities. He believes women are essential to Afghanistan’s development and should have opportunities beyond household responsibilities. His daughters are approaching the age when they will be forced to leave formal schooling. The family has considered sending them abroad, including to Pakistan, but changing regional circumstances have made that option difficult. Some families have turned to private schools that secretly provide general education alongside religious studies. These institutions often charge high fees and may not provide recognised graduation certificates. Parents also fear that authorities could take action against schools operating outside official restrictions. This leaves families caught between protecting their children and trying to continue their education. Another father from Kandahar said his young daughter has a strong interest in astronomy. She asks questions about the solar system, gravity and science. The girl reportedly asked her father how she could continue learning if she could not study beyond the sixth grade. Her question has become a painful reminder of the limited opportunities available to girls. Some families have moved to Kabul in search of better educational opportunities. Others are relying on online courses, home schooling and secret classes. The restrictions are also affecting children emotionally. Parents say many girls feel frustrated, isolated and uncertain about their future. One father said his teenage daughter often stays at home and becomes deeply upset when she thinks about her education. He said he sometimes leaves the room because he cannot control his emotions and ends up crying privately. Another family has created a home-schooling routine using old secondary-school textbooks. The parents try to maintain a school-like schedule so their daughters can continue learning. However, the parents say home education cannot fully replace a formal school environment. They worry about the lack of recognised qualifications, social interaction and access to trained teachers. Some girls have also begun attending secret classes. Their families remain concerned about possible consequences if the authorities discover them. The prolonged restrictions have created uncertainty for an entire generation of Afghan girls. Parents fear that years without formal education will limit their daughters’ future opportunities

  • |

    Meghan and Harry urged to pause business ventures

    Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been advised to step back from their growing list of business ventures and focus on building a single successful project after the theatrical debut of their documentary, “Cookie Queens.” The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have continued to explore opportunities across entertainment, media and business since stepping away from their senior royal roles. However, a royal commentator believes the couple should now reduce their public announcements and concentrate on creating work that can establish long-term credibility. Royal expert Kinsey Schofield, host of the YouTube program “Kinsey Schofield Unfiltered,” said Meghan and Harry have significant name recognition but have struggled to turn their global fame into sustained consumer interest and revenue. According to Schofield, the couple would benefit from taking a quieter professional approach instead of constantly introducing new projects or pursuing another public rebrand. She suggested that they temporarily “disappear professionally” and significantly reduce the number of announcements they make. The expert recommended that Meghan and Harry select one strong project and surround themselves with experienced professionals who understand how to successfully execute it. In her view, producing a genuinely successful project could do more for their public image than another publicity campaign. Schofield argued that reputation recovery does not necessarily require another rebranding exercise. Instead, she believes the couple should allow their work to speak for itself. She emphasized that success can be one of the most effective ways to improve a celebrity’s reputation, particularly in Hollywood. If Meghan and Harry were able to produce something widely praised and commercially successful, the public conversation surrounding them could potentially change. The royal commentator also warned against trying to establish themselves as authorities across too many industries at the same time. She suggested that attempting to build a presence in multiple categories could ultimately prevent them from becoming strongly associated with any particular field. Her advice was for the couple to choose one area, develop genuine expertise and allow their achievements to gradually rebuild their credibility. Schofield further suggested that Meghan and Harry should stop relying primarily on their celebrity status as the selling point of their ventures. Instead, they should focus on creating products and projects that are strong enough to succeed independently of their royal connections and personal fame. The comments come after reports surrounding “Cookie Queens,” which marked a major theatrical feature debut for Meghan and Harry as executive producers. The documentary reportedly earned around $354,000 from 446 theaters. While the figure represents a theatrical release, the reported performance has renewed discussion about the couple’s business strategy and their ability to convert their considerable public profile into commercially successful projects. With Meghan and Harry continuing to develop their careers outside the royal institution, the latest advice suggests that a period of fewer announcements and greater focus could help them build a more sustainable presence in the entertainment industry.

  • |

    Kashmir solidarity protest held outside Indian High Commission in London on Youm-e-Istehsal

    A large number of Pakistanis and Kashmiris gathered outside the Indian High Commission in London on Wednesday to mark Youm-e-Istehsal-e-Kashmir, protesting against India’s August 5, 2019 decision to revoke the special constitutional status of Jammu and Kashmir. The demonstrators raised slogans in support of the right to self-determination for the people of Kashmir and expressed opposition to the policies implemented in the region following the 2019 decision. Participants also chanted slogans in support of Pakistan and the Pakistan Armed Forces, while carrying banners and placards highlighting their concerns over the Kashmir issue. Addressing the gathering, speakers said that the August 5, 2019 move had affected the political identity and rights of the Kashmiri people. They urged the international community to pay attention to the situation in Kashmir and play a role in addressing the long-standing dispute. The protesters called for a peaceful and lasting resolution of the Kashmir issue and reiterated their commitment to continuing support for what they described as the Kashmiri people’s right to self-determination. The demonstration concluded peacefully, with participants reaffirming solidarity with the people of Kashmir.

  • | |

    Police record fiancée’s statement in Mir Ra…

    Police have made fresh progress in the investigation into the murder of 25-year-old Mir Raza, whose body was found in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Jauhar area. Investigators have recorded the statement of his fiancée and uncovered new details about his movements before his death. According to the investigation, Mir Raza left his home at approximately 4:02am on July 28. Before leaving, he reportedly left behind several personal belongings, including his wallet, house keys, and smartwatch. Police said he also transferred some money to his parents’ bank account before departing. Investigators have obtained more than 100 CCTV recordings from different locations and are reviewing the footage to trace Mir Raza’s final movements and identify any suspects or suspicious activity. Police also recorded the statement of Mir Raza’s fiancée as part of the investigation. She told investigators that he had not shared any concerns, fears, or personal problems with her before leaving home. She added that she repeatedly tried to contact him by phone on the morning of July 28 but received no response. According to the post-mortem report, Mir Raza died after suffering a gunshot wound to the chest, with excessive blood loss identified as the cause of death. Police recently recovered Mir Raza’s mobile phone from a location near the crime scene. The device has been sent for forensic examination to help investigators retrieve digital evidence and establish the circumstances leading to the killing. The investigation remains underway, with police examining CCTV footage, forensic evidence, and witness statements as they continue efforts to determine the motive behind the murder and identify those responsible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *