germany pledges justice
|

Germany pledges justice as Berlin attack shocks nation

BERLIN, July 26: German authorities have launched a major investigation after a vehicle drove into a crowd near a Pride event in Berlin, killing one person and injuring 16 others.

The incident took place late Saturday night in the Tiergarten area, close to Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate. The location was near the route of Christopher Street Day, one of Europe’s largest annual LGBTQ Pride celebrations.

Emergency services said eight people were seriously injured. Three of them were in critical condition.

Police have identified a man they describe as being known to authorities and linked to the Islamist scene. They released his photograph and appealed to the public for information about his whereabouts.

Authorities said the suspect was believed to be around 1.90 metres tall, slim and had black hair. He was reportedly last seen wearing a black hooded top and white trousers.

Police have not yet established whether the suspect acted alone. Investigators are also examining reports that more than one person may have left the vehicle after it stopped.

Some of those injured reportedly suffered stab wounds, adding another element to the investigation.

The vehicle eventually came to a stop after striking a tree in the Tiergarten. Police later found it empty and began searching for the person or people believed to have been involved.

The remaining Christopher Street Day activities were cancelled following the attack.

German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt condemned the incident as a cowardly attack on people who had been peacefully celebrating. He said authorities would work to establish what happened and identify those responsible.

Officials have not yet provided a clear motive for the attack. Several details also remain under investigation, including the exact sequence of events and whether more than one person was involved.

The incident has also placed additional pressure on Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s coalition government. The attack comes ahead of important state elections and amid a heated political debate over immigration, public security and extremism.

Germany’s far-right Alternative for Germany party quickly reacted to the incident. Its leaders called for stronger action against religious extremism and warned against violence and intolerance.

Authorities are continuing their search for the suspect. Police have urged anyone with relevant information to contact them as the investigation continues.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    KP CM launches mobilisation campaign for September…

    PESHAWAR: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Muhammad Sohail Afridi has launched a province-wide street mobilisation campaign from Khyber district ahead of the September 27 long march. Addressing a rally in Khyber, Afridi said the campaign had formally begun from the historic Bab-e-Khyber and would continue across the country before culminating in Islamabad. The movement has been given the name “Long March Bil-Qist — A Long March for Justice.” According to the chief minister, its stated objectives include seeking the release of PTI founder Imran Khan through constitutional and peaceful means, demanding equal application of the law and calling for accountability for those responsible for alleged injustice and oppression. Afridi urged young people across Pakistan to participate in the September 27 march, saying the youth had an important role in determining the country’s political future. He said the mobilisation launched in Khyber would gradually be expanded to other parts of the country and continue until the movement achieved its declared objectives. The chief minister praised residents of Khyber for their participation in the campaign. He said rally participants had travelled around 30 kilometres while demonstrating enthusiasm and commitment to the movement. Afridi claimed that preparations were under way to mobilise two million people for the September 27 march. He said more than 100,000 participants from Khyber district alone were expected to join the Islamabad-bound movement. He also claimed that membership of the campaign seeking Imran Khan’s release had reached 520,000, with Punjab currently having the largest number of members. The chief minister expressed confidence that large numbers of people from different parts of Pakistan would participate in the march. Speaking about the role of young people, Afridi said frustration with the existing political and governance system was growing among the younger generation. He called on the youth to remain determined despite political and other challenges. He argued that if young people demonstrated their strength and determination collectively, the movement could become a major political force. Afridi also criticised those he accused of contributing to Imran Khan’s imprisonment, weakening democratic institutions and affecting the country’s governance system. He maintained that the movement would remain peaceful and constitutional while pursuing its political demands. The chief minister described September 27 as a potentially significant day for Pakistan, saying participants would seek to influence the country’s political direction and play a role in determining its future.

  • |

    Shilpa Shetty dismisses fake viral statement on reservation

    Actor Shilpa Shetty Kundra has strongly denied a statement that recently went viral on social media, saying it was completely fabricated and falsely attributed to her. The actress urged people not to believe or share the misleading post, calling it malicious fake news. The viral post, which circulated widely across various social media platforms, claimed that Shilpa had expressed support for ending caste-based reservation. It also included controversial remarks suggesting that doctors should treat patients only from their own caste to prove a point about the reservation system. The statement quickly attracted attention online, with many users reacting before its authenticity was verified. Responding to the controversy, Shilpa took to her official social media accounts to set the record straight. She categorically denied ever making such remarks and distanced herself from the viral message. In her statement, the actress wrote, “I am shocked to see fake statements on reservation falsely attached to my name. This is completely fabricated, malicious garbage. Do not fall for this fake news!” With her response, Shilpa made it clear that the circulating message had no connection to her and that the claims were entirely false. She urged her followers and the public to verify information before believing or sharing such content, highlighting the growing problem of misinformation on social media. The clarification quickly gained attention, with many fans supporting the actress and appreciating her decision to publicly address the issue. Several social media users also urged people to be cautious about viral posts that attribute controversial opinions to celebrities without any credible evidence or official confirmation. False quotes and fabricated statements involving public figures have become increasingly common on social media. Such posts often spread rapidly, leading to confusion and unnecessary controversy before the individuals concerned have an opportunity to respond. Celebrities frequently use their verified accounts to clarify misinformation and prevent fake claims from gaining further traction. Shilpa has remained active on social media, where she regularly shares updates about her professional projects, fitness routines, family moments, and promotional activities. Her latest clarification reflects her effort to ensure that misinformation is addressed promptly and that her followers receive accurate information directly from her official platforms. On the professional front, Shilpa was most recently seen in the Kannada action film KD: The Devil, in which she stars alongside Dhruva Sarja. The film marked another addition to her diverse body of work across multiple film industries. Apart from films, the actress has also been active on television. She recently completed her stint as the host of the cooking reality show Maa Hai Na, which concluded its run earlier this month. Over the years, Shilpa has successfully balanced acting, television appearances, entrepreneurship, and digital content while maintaining a strong connection with her audience. By issuing a prompt clarification, Shilpa Shetty has firmly rejected the viral claim and reminded the public of the importance of verifying information before accepting or circulating it online.

  • |

    Kyle Richards hopes for Little House cameo return

    Kyle Richards is hoping to make a return to the world of Little House on the Prairie, decades after appearing in the beloved original television series. The actress recently revealed that she has already approached the team behind Netflix’s new adaptation about the possibility of making a cameo. Richards opened up about her interest during an interview with Entertainment Weekly published on August 9, sharing that she would be more than happy to revisit the franchise in any capacity. “I would love to make an appearance. Don’t think I didn’t ask them!” Richards said, making it clear that she has already expressed her interest in joining the new series. Richards has a special connection to Little House on the Prairie because she was part of the original show, which aired from 1974 to 1983. She portrayed Alicia Sanderson Edwards, the adopted daughter of Isaiah and Grace Edwards, characters played by Victor French and Bonnie Bartlett. The actress appeared in 19 episodes of the original series, beginning with its second season. Her involvement in the classic show began when she was only five years old, making the experience an important part of her childhood and early acting career. However, Richards explained that the timeline of Netflix’s new adaptation currently makes her original character’s return difficult. According to the actress, producers told her that the new series begins earlier in the story, before Alicia appears in the original narrative. The Netflix adaptation stars Alice Halsey as Laura Ingalls and Luke Bracey as Charles Ingalls. Its first season is set on the prairie near Independence, Kansas, and follows the Ingalls family during an earlier period of their journey. By the end of the first season, the family decides to move to Walnut Grove, a location that became central to the original television series. Despite the timeline issue, Richards is not giving up on the idea of appearing in the reboot. She jokingly suggested that she would even be willing to portray a completely different character if that would allow her to make an appearance. “I’m like, ‘Well, whatever. I can do a cameo and play someone else,’” Richards said. The actress added that she genuinely wants to be part of the new version of Little House on the Prairie, showing just how meaningful the franchise remains to her. Watching Netflix’s adaptation has also been an emotional experience for Richards because it has reminded her of her childhood and her time on the original show. She explained that seeing the new actor playing Mr. Edwards brought back memories because the character was once portrayed as her father figure on the series. Warren Christie currently plays Mr. Edwards in Netflix’s version. Richards also reflected on the experience of working on the original production as a young child. She recalled being just five years old when she started and remembered wearing the period costumes. For Richards, watching the new adaptation is therefore more than simply following another television series. It has given her an opportunity to revisit an important chapter of her childhood and career. Whether she ultimately receives a cameo remains unknown, but Richards has made her interest clear: she would love another chance to step into the Little House on the Prairie universe.

  • |

    Jaffna Kings outclass Kandy Royals by 21 runs in LPL 2026

    Shakib Al Hasan delivered an outstanding all-round performance to guide Jaffna Kings to a 21-run victory over Kandy Royals in the 18th match of the Lanka Premier League (LPL) 2026 at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium on Thursday. Defending a formidable target of 222, Jaffna Kings dismissed Kandy Royals for 200 on the final delivery of the innings to secure an important win. The Royals made a flying start to their chase, with openers Pawan Sandesh and Lahiru Igalagamage putting immediate pressure on the bowling attack. The pair raced to a 40-run partnership within the first three overs, setting the tone for an aggressive pursuit of the target. Sandesh played an entertaining knock of 48, while Igalagamage contributed 15 before the opening stand was broken. Kandy Royals maintained a healthy scoring rate during the first half of the innings, keeping themselves in contention. However, the momentum shifted dramatically once the spin duo of Shakib Al Hasan and Dunith Wellalage came into the attack. The experienced bowlers tightened the scoring and struck at crucial intervals, reducing the Royals to 112-4 and putting Jaffna firmly back in control. Captain Wanindu Hasaranga attempted to revive the chase with a quickfire 24 off just 12 deliveries, smashing three sixes in an attacking cameo. His aggressive innings briefly raised hopes of a late comeback, but Shakib dismissed the Royals skipper in the 18th over, effectively ending the contest. Shakib and Wellalage claimed three wickets each to lead the bowling effort, while Dilshan Madushanka and Zahoor Khan chipped in with two wickets apiece to complete the victory. Earlier, Jaffna Kings produced an explosive batting display after being asked to bat first, finishing with an imposing total of 221-6 in their allotted 20 overs. Openers Kamil Mishara and Avishka Fernando laid the perfect platform with a blistering 95-run partnership inside the opening seven overs. Mishara narrowly missed out on a half-century, scoring 49 with the help of five sixes and two boundaries. Fernando added 36 from 22 balls, striking three fours and a six before leaving the field as a substitute. Although the Royals managed to regain some control through a series of quick wickets, reducing Jaffna to 139-5 in the 15th over, the innings received a powerful finish from Shakib Al Hasan and Chamindu Wickramasinghe. The pair added 59 runs in just 23 deliveries, lifting the Kings beyond the 220-run mark. Wickramasinghe played a breathtaking innings of 43 from only 15 balls, hammering four sixes and three boundaries. Shakib remained composed at the other end, contributing 22 runs from 16 deliveries, including one six and one four. For Kandy Royals, Moeen Ali and Wanindu Hasaranga were the standout bowlers, taking two wickets each. Pakistan left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi, however, endured a difficult outing, finishing wicketless after conceding 43 runs in his three overs. The comprehensive victory strengthened Jaffna Kings’ campaign, with Shakib Al Hasan making a decisive impact with both bat and ball in a memorable all-round performance.

  • | |

    Norway’s Foreign Minister arrives in Islamabad f…

    ISLAMABAD: Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide arrived in Islamabad on Thursday for an official two-day visit, marking the first visit by a Norwegian foreign minister to Pakistan in a decade and opening a fresh chapter in bilateral engagement. Eide, who is visiting Pakistan on the invitation of Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, was received at Islamabad International Airport by Additional Foreign Secretary for Europe Ambassador Ayesha Ali. He later held a meeting with Dar at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where the two sides are expected to discuss a broad range of issues concerning Pakistan-Norway relations. According to the Foreign Office, Eide’s visit will continue through August 14 and include delegation-level talks between the two countries. The discussions are expected to focus on areas where Islamabad and Oslo see potential for stronger cooperation. Trade and investment will be among the key subjects, while climate change, renewable energy and education are also expected to feature prominently in the talks. The two sides will additionally explore ways to strengthen people-to-people contacts. The visit comes at a time when Pakistan is seeking to deepen economic and diplomatic partnerships with European countries, particularly in areas linked to investment, clean energy and sustainable development. Beyond bilateral matters, the foreign ministers are also expected to exchange views on important regional and international developments. This could give the two sides an opportunity to discuss shared concerns and assess developments affecting the wider region. The Foreign Office said the visit builds on a series of high-level contacts between Pakistan and Norway in recent months. Dar and Eide held telephone conversations in March and April, while Norwegian State Secretary Andreas Motzfeldt Kravik visited Islamabad in May. The two countries have also maintained engagement through diplomatic channels, with both sides showing interest in expanding cooperation beyond traditional areas. Eide’s arrival therefore carries significance not only because of its timing but also because of the gap since the last visit by a Norwegian foreign minister. The trip provides an opportunity to translate recent diplomatic contacts into practical cooperation. For Islamabad, stronger ties with Norway could bring opportunities in trade, investment, renewable energy and education. For Oslo, deeper engagement with Pakistan offers a chance to strengthen relations with an important South Asian partner. The Foreign Office described the visit as an opportunity to further strengthen the “longstanding and cordial relations” between the two countries and identify new areas of mutually beneficial cooperation. With formal talks now underway, attention will turn to whether the two-day visit produces concrete initiatives that can give Pakistan-Norway relations fresh momentum.

  • | |

    Mild earthquake jolts parts of Karachi

    A mild earthquake was recorded in Karachi on Friday evening, with tremors felt across several parts of the city. The shaking caused brief panic among residents, although no casualties or damage were reported. According to the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), the earthquake measured 2.9 on the Richter scale. The seismic event originated at a depth of 10 kilometres, with its epicentre located within Karachi. The PMD said the earthquake struck at 6:01 pm, and its relatively shallow depth allowed tremors to be felt in different neighbourhoods. Authorities said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage to buildings or infrastructure. Residents in several areas experienced light shaking, but the situation remained calm after the tremors subsided. Officials continue to monitor seismic activity and have advised the public to remain alert while assuring that no emergency situation has been reported following the low-intensity earthquake.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *