meta removes 756000
|

Meta removes 756,000 Australian teen accounts amid new age law

Meta has deactivated 756,000 Australian accounts believed to belong to users under the age of 16. The company confirmed the move on Thursday amid tightening regulations on youth social media use.

The total includes 462,000 suspected underage Instagram accounts and 294,000 flagged Facebook accounts. All were removed between December, when the ban first came into effect, and June of this year.

To identify these accounts, Meta relied on AI tools designed to scan user activity for contextual clues suggesting an underage user. These included things like birthday celebration posts or references to specific school grades, alongside reports submitted by other users.

In an official statement, Meta said enforcement remains ongoing and that these numbers will likely continue rising. The company added that it shares the Australian government’s goal of ensuring safer, age-appropriate online experiences for young people.

Meta also stated that it is actively meeting its legal obligations under Australia’s new social media rules. The announcement comes as the company faces mounting scrutiny and potential regulatory action tied to the country’s landmark youth protection laws.

There is growing consensus globally that major tech platforms have failed to prioritise child safety in their product design. Features like infinite scrolling, engagement-driven algorithms and constant notifications are increasingly viewed by regulators as manipulative, disrupting both sleep and academic performance among young users.

In response, Australian authorities recently doubled maximum penalties for non-compliance to roughly A$99 million, equivalent to about $69.75 million USD. Regulators have also been granted expanded powers to access internal company documents amid claims that platforms have not done enough to enforce existing restrictions.

This crackdown reflects a broader global shift toward limiting youth access to social media, driven by mounting public health concerns. Reports from the World Health Organization and various long-term studies have linked heavy platform use to rising rates of adolescent anxiety, depression and body-image issues.

Legal pressure on tech companies has intensified too, with several US lawsuits and court rulings exposing internal documents suggesting platforms knowingly prioritised engagement over user safety. That mounting evidence has fuelled growing legislative appetite worldwide for mandatory, government-enforced age verification systems.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Khanewal farmers protest delay in lease letters

      KHANEWAL: Eleven farmers selected under Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif’s “Apna Khet, Apna Rozgar” initiative have protested over the delay in receiving lease letters for approximately 950 kanals of agricultural land in Chak 63/10-R. The farmers allege that the transfer process is being delayed because of the influence of an influential local figure who, they claim, is supporting people occupying the land. The affected farmers recently held a demonstration outside the Revenue Department office at the District Complex in Khanewal. They demanded that the authorities issue their lease documents immediately and complete the process of handing over the land allotted to them through the government’s official balloting process. According to the protesting farmers, nearly 950 kanals of agricultural land in Chak 63/10-R was designated for lease to 11 deserving applicants who were selected through a formal draw under the provincial government’s scheme. However, they claimed that the land has remained in the possession of alleged illegal occupants for almost 40 years. The farmers said the occupants had earlier approached the Lahore High Court and obtained a stay order regarding the disputed property. They claimed that the relevant bench of the Lahore High Court dismissed the stay order on August 3, 2026, which, according to them, removed a major legal hurdle in the way of implementing the government’s allotment decision. Despite the dismissal of the stay, the protesting farmers alleged that the Punjab Revenue Department and the Khanewal district administration had not yet issued the required lease letters. They further alleged that the individuals occupying the land had the support of an influential political figure in the area. The farmers claimed that political pressure was contributing to the delay and preventing the concerned departments from completing the formalities required for the transfer of the land. The applicants also pointed out that their names and allotment information are already available on the Punjab government’s official online portal for the “Apna Khet, Apna Rozgar”scheme. They questioned why the authorities had not issued the lease documents despite their successful selection through balloting and the reported dismissal of the court stay. The Additional Deputy Commissioner (Revenue), Khanewal, was contacted to obtain the administration’s position on the matter, including the delay in issuing the lease letters, the current legal status of the disputed land and the allegations of political interference. However, an official response from the ADCR was not available at the time of filing the report. The administration’s version will be included once an official response is received. The affected farmers have appealed to Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, Deputy Commissioner Khanewal Dr Hina Arshad Commissioner Multan Aamir Karim and the Senior Member Board of Revenue Punjab to take immediate notice of the issue. They demanded that the lease letters be issued without further delay and that possession of the allotted land be handed over to the successful applicants according to the balloting results, government policy and applicable legal procedures. The protesters also urged the provincial government to ensure transparent implementation of the “Apna Khet, Apna Rozgar” scheme and prevent any political or external influence from affecting the rights of successful applicants.

  • |

    Child’s refusal to buckle up leads to flight cancellation in Canada

    A Porter Airlines flight from Victoria to Toronto was cancelled after a young child refused to sit in the assigned seat and fasten the seat belt. The incident happened on flight PD444 at Victoria International Airport in British Columbia. The aircraft had already left the terminal. It was preparing for takeoff when crew members noticed the child standing on the seat. Flight attendants tried to resolve the situation. The child’s parents also attempted to convince the youngster to sit down. However, the child continued to resist. The crew could not proceed with the flight while the safety issue remained unresolved. Aviation safety rules require passengers to remain seated and use seat belts when instructed. The aircraft therefore had to return to the terminal. The family was removed from the plane. Their baggage also had to be taken off the aircraft. Airport and airline staff then had to complete the required travel and security procedures. The process took considerable time. The procedures continued beyond 12:30am. Victoria International Airport closes its main runway at 12:30am every night. Because the runway had already closed, the aircraft could not take off again that night. The cancellation caused further inconvenience for the other passengers. They were forced to spend the night in Victoria. Porter Airlines apologised to the affected passengers for the disruption. The airline arranged alternative flights for them the following day. The incident highlights how even a seemingly minor safety issue can cause major delays when an aircraft is preparing for departure. Airlines are required to ensure that all passengers follow safety instructions before takeoff

  • | |

    Trump hosts Netanyahu, Zelensky for high level tal…

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump is set to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky at the White House on Tuesday, as the wars involving Iran and Ukraine enter what officials describe as a decisive and highly sensitive phase. The two leaders are in Washington to attend a memorial service for Senator Lindsey Graham, a prominent Republican ally of Trump and a strong advocate of military support for Ukraine. However, the diplomatic spotlight has shifted to their separate meetings with the US president, which are expected to focus on two of the world’s most volatile conflicts. Trump’s relationship with Zelensky has improved significantly in recent months as Ukrainian forces have slowed Russian advances and intensified strikes on Russian energy infrastructure. Ahead of his meeting, Zelensky said strengthening anti-ballistic missile defence and expanding strategic cooperation with the United States were his top priorities, stressing that efforts to bring peace closer must continue. Despite renewed diplomatic contacts, there is little indication that either the Ukraine war or the widening confrontation involving Iran is nearing an end. Following the collapse of a ceasefire linked to the Iran conflict, Trump has said he paused US airstrikes to allow diplomacy another opportunity, while continuing consultations with regional allies. Netanyahu arrives in Washington amid signs of growing frustration within theWhite House over the lack of progress toward a broader settlement related to Iran. Tensions between Trump and the Israeli leader have become more visible in recent weeks, including reports of a heated phone conversation in June that was later publicly acknowledged by Trump. According to sources familiar with the discussions, Netanyahu is also seeking to reinforce his political standing ahead of Israel’s October 27 election. A public display of close coordination with Trump could help him domestically, where he has faced pressure in opinion polls. Before departing for Washington, Netanyahu said the talks would focus primarily on Iran, while also addressing regional security and efforts to expand peace agreements with Arab states. A White House official said Trump plans to discuss the Iran conflict, tensions between Israel and Lebanon, and the future of the Abraham Accords. The administration is reportedly continuing efforts to encourage Saudi Arabia to join the accords, although Riyadh has maintained that any normalisation with Israel would require a credible pathway toward Palestinian statehood. Trump struck a notably warmer tone when speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, describing Netanyahu as a strong wartime leader and saying the two had worked well together.Zelensky is expected to hold a brief private meeting with Trump, likely without media present. Ukrainian officials say securing additional Patriot missile interceptors is their most urgent request, as Russian missile and drone attacks continue almost daily. The Ukrainian president is also expected to push for expanded air-defence cooperation, progress on a drone agreement with the United States, and discussions on Trump’s proposal to allow Ukraine to produce Patriot interceptors under licence. White House officials said the meeting with Zelensky would focus on the ongoing peace process between Russia and Ukraine and reiterated that the administration believes the time has come to seek an end to the war. After the White House talks, Zelensky is expected to visit Capitol Hill for meetings with all 100 US senators, underscoring the continuing bipartisan interest in Ukraine’s defence despite growing debate over the pace and delivery of American military assistance.

  • |

    Arshad Nadeem opts for training in South Africa

    Olympic javelin throw gold medallist Arshad Nadeem has decided to undergo training in South Africa ahead of major international competitions. According to sources, Nadeem will not participate in the Lausanne Diamond League scheduled for August 21. His name had initially been included in the entry list for the event. The Pakistani javelin thrower is now planning to train in South Africa. He has previously completed training camps in the country on two occasions. Sources said Nadeem will travel to South Africa on the first available flight once he receives his visa. He is expected to use the training camp to prepare for his upcoming international assignments. Following his training in South Africa, Nadeem will compete at the World Athletics Ultimate Championship. The championship is scheduled to take place in Budapest from September 6 to 14. The event will bring together leading athletes from around the world. Nadeem is also expected to compete at the Asian Games after the World Athletics Ultimate Championship. The decision to skip the Lausanne Diamond League is part of his revised competition and training plan. The focus is now on preparing thoroughly for the major championships ahead. Nadeem has emerged as one of Pakistan’s leading athletics stars. He made history by winning the Olympic javelin throw gold medal, becoming a major figure in Pakistan’s international sporting success. His planned training stint in South Africa is expected to provide him with an opportunity to work on his technique, strength and overall competition preparation before returning to international action.

  • | |

    Two killed, several injured in firing during funer…

      MUZAFFARABAD: At least two people were killed and several others injured when gunfire broke out during the funeral prayers of victims of an earlier clash in Kot Tralla, near Muzaffarabad in Azad Kashmir. According to Azad Kashmir Police, the incident occurred during the funeral prayers being held for two people who had been killed in a firing incident between two groups a day earlier. The latest shooting turned the funeral gathering into another scene of violence, resulting in further casualties. Police confirmed that two people had been killed in a clash between two groups in Kot Tralla the previous day. Following the incident, funeral prayers for the deceased were arranged in the area. However, while family members, relatives and other mourners had gathered to attend the prayers, another firing incident took place. According to police officials, the latest exchange of fire resulted in the deaths of two more people, while several others sustained injuries. The injured were shifted to nearby medical facilities for treatment. The exact number and condition of those injured were not immediately available. The incident has caused concern among local residents, particularly because the violence occurred during a funeral gathering. Such gatherings normally bring together large numbers of family members, relatives and community residents, making any outbreak of violence especially dangerous. Police teams reached the area following the shooting and began efforts to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident. Authorities are investigating whether the latest firing was connected to the dispute that had led to the earlier clash between the two groups. The motive behind the initial confrontation has not yet been disclosed. Police officials are expected to investigate the cause of the dispute and identify those responsible for both incidents. Further action will be taken once the circumstances of the shootings and the identities of the suspects are established. The latest incident has also raised questions about security arrangements during funeral gatherings, particularly in areas where tensions exist between rival groups. Authorities may increase security measures in the area to prevent further violence and maintain law and order. Residents have expressed concern over the escalation of violence, as the dispute has now resulted in deaths on two consecutive days. The fact that the second shooting occurred during funeral prayers has further intensified fears of additional clashes. Police officials have urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with law enforcement agencies. They are also expected to take steps to prevent any further confrontation between the two groups. The bodies of the victims are being handled according to local procedures, while the injured are receiving medical treatment. Families of those killed and injured are facing another tragedy following the earlier deaths in the area. Authorities have not yet released complete details about the weapons used, the identities of the attackers or the exact circumstances that led to the latest shooting. An investigation is underway, and additional information is expected as police gather evidence and question witnesses. The incident highlights how disputes between rival groups can quickly escalate and affect innocent people, particularly when violence occurs in crowded public gatherings. The authorities’ immediate priority is to restore peace in Kot Tralla, provide security to local residents and ensure that those responsible for the shootings are brought to justice. Further developments are expected as the investigation continues and officials release more information about the casualties and the circumstances surrounding the two incidents.

  • |

    Google DeepMind exec admits AI extinction risk is “not zero

    Lila Ibrahim, Google DeepMind’s Chief AI Readiness Officer, will not put a number on the odds of AI wiping out humanity. She is not dismissing the possibility either. Speaking to Fortune, she said the risk is “not zero,” admitting that anything more specific would just be guesswork on her part. Ibrahim was among those who signed the Center for AI Safety’s 2023 statement, alongside co-founders of Anthropic and OpenAI. That statement argued AI extinction risk deserves the same global priority as nuclear war and pandemics. Three years on, she still believes staying silent on existential risk would be irresponsible. She feels this way especially now, given how far the technology has advanced since then. Some of her peers sound even more alarmed. Geoffrey Hinton, often called the “godfather of AI,” estimates a 10% to 20% chance of extinction within the next three decades. Anthropic’s Dario Amodei has gone further, putting the odds of things going “really, really badly” at around 25%. These warnings are not new either. Physicist Stephen Hawking, who used AI tools himself, raised similar concerns long before ChatGPT even existed. Ibrahim compares the situation to the pandemic, pointing out that the worst risks rarely arrive the way people expect. She noted that entire industries failed to properly weigh risk during earlier tech shifts, including the rise of the internet and social media. She is just as sceptical of the optimistic predictions floating around. Elon Musk recently told The Economist that money will stop mattering by 2036, imagining a future of cheap abundance and universal high income once robots take over most jobs. Jeff Bezos has predicted millions of people living in space by 2045. Sam Altman, meanwhile, envisions new job opportunities specifically for graduates working in space. Ibrahim isn’t convinced by either scenario, arguing that AI simply is not developing fast enough to make these predictions realistic anytime soon. Rather than debating far-off futures, Ibrahim says she is more focused on using AI to tackle problems happening right now. She pointed to climate change and industrial pollution as areas where the technology could make a real difference. She was also clear that AI’s benefits should not be limited to a handful of powerful companies. For her, that is just as important as managing the risks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *