new lizard species
|

New lizard species “Syrax” discovered in Thailand

A new species of lizard has been discovered in Thailand. According to foreign media reports, the new species was discovered in western Thailand and has been given a name inspired by the popular series “House of the Dragon.”

The lizard has been named “Syrax” after the dragon ridden by Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen in the series. Details about the discovery of the new lizard were published last month in the journal ZooKeys.

The study found that the lizard belongs to a group known as mountain horned dragons and was discovered in the forests of the high-altitude areas of Mae Wong.

Researchers explained that the name was chosen based on the lizard’s yellowish coloration, small size and large clutch size. Mountain horned dragons are known for the spiny projections on their necks and backs.

The study also stated that further research is needed to fully understand the distribution of lizard species. Researchers also need to explore nearby mountain ranges to discover other hidden or previously undocumented species in the northern and western mountainous regions.

Similar Posts

  • | | | |

    Iran rejects talks on ceasefire extension

    Pakistan is making diplomatic efforts to help extend the ceasefire between the United States and Iran, as the current truce is scheduled to expire on Sunday, August 16. Sources said Islamabad is trying to use the understanding reached under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding to encourage both sides to maintain the ceasefire and return to negotiations. According to the sources, mediators believe additional time is needed to bridge differences between Washington and Tehran. Diplomatic efforts are therefore continuing to prevent the situation from deteriorating after the current ceasefire period ends. However, an Iranian senior official gave a different assessment of the situation. The official said there have been no discussions between Iran and the United States regarding an extension of the ceasefire. Iran has maintained that Washington must return to the agreement and honour its previous commitments. Tehran has also demanded a clear and credible timeline for the implementation of those commitments before any further understanding can be reached. Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has made strong statements about the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Trump claimed that the United States now has complete control over the vital waterway and said Iran has limited options to challenge the American naval blockade. The Strait of Hormuz remains a major international shipping route and plays a crucial role in global energy supplies. Any prolonged disruption in the waterway could have serious consequences for oil and gas markets and international trade. Iranian military officials have warned that a renewed US offensive could lead to a wider confrontation. An Iranian military spokesman said energy transmission networks, power plants and infrastructure connected to the global internet could become targets if American military action resumes. The warning has raised concerns that any collapse of the ceasefire could expand the conflict beyond conventional military targets and affect critical infrastructure. Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has expressed hope that additional countries will join the Makkah Defence Agreement. He indicated that broader participation could strengthen regional security cooperation. In another development, US Central Command said a Panama-flagged cargo vessel attempting to breach the naval blockade was disabled after a US helicopter fired a missile at the ship. The incident has further highlighted the risks facing commercial shipping in the region amid continuing tensions between Washington and Tehran. Separately, Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi discussed the situation with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian in a telephone conversation. Takaichi called for the Strait of Hormuz to be reopened once negotiations between Iran and the United States reach a successful conclusion.

  • |

    Hundreds arrested in France as destructive wildfires spread across Europe

    European emergency services are battling fierce wildfires triggered by a record-breaking heatwave, with French authorities arresting nearly 500 individuals on suspicion of starting blazes since July 1. France’s interior ministry reported that 474 people, including 183 minors, have been detained, with approximately 70% suspected of intentional arson. In south-west France, a rapid blaze in the Landes region consumed nearly 1,100 hectares of pine forest in under 24 hours, prompting the emergency evacuation of more than 525 residents from the village of Luglon. The severe weather conditions have caused destruction and displacement across multiple European countries. In Croatia, a gale-driven wildfire swept through the coastal tourist town of Lokva Rogoznica, leaving one person dead, 40 injured, and forcing 1,200 people to evacuate to emergency shelters. In western Germany, over 2,000 residents fled the village of Gey as a forest fire advanced, while emergency crews faced additional hazards from detonating Second World War ammunition buried in the terrain. Elsewhere on the continent, military personnel in north-east Spain evacuated the historical remains of three 11th-century kings from the San Juan de la Peña monastery as flames threatened the site. In northern Greece, a fleet of small boats rescued approximately 500 holidaymakers stranded on beaches along the Halkidiki peninsula after a two-mile fire front threatened local resorts. Firefighters in the UK also faced severe conditions, as wildfires across the West Midlands destroyed several residential properties.

  • |

    Karoline Leavitt to leave White House press post

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has announced that White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt will leave her position at the end of August, saying she wants to spend more time with her young children. Trump praised the 28-year-old spokesperson as one of his most trusted aides and said he respected her decision to step away from one of the most demanding roles in the administration. In a social media post, Trump said Leavitt would continue to advise him from outside the White House and would remain an influential voice within the Republican Party. Leavitt confirmed her departure, describing her time as White House press secretary as an “honor and adventure of a lifetime.” She said balancing motherhood with one of the most demanding jobs in Washington had been both rewarding and challenging. After returning from maternity leave following the birth of her second child, Leavitt said she realised she could not give her two young children the time and attention they deserved while continuing to meet the demands of the press secretary’s role. Leavitt and her husband, Nicholas Riccio, welcomed a daughter in May. The couple also have a two-year-old son. She returned to the White House last month after taking maternity leave. Leavitt became White House press secretary last year and made history as the youngest person to hold the position. During her tenure, she became one of the administration’s most recognisable public figures and frequently defended Trump’s policies during tense exchanges with journalists. Her relationship with sections of the US media was often confrontational. Leavitt accused some journalists of political bias, while supporters of the Trump administration praised her for forcefully presenting the president’s position. Her tenure also included changes to the White House press-access system. Her office took greater control over the press pool and temporarily restricted access for the Associated Press after a dispute over the administration’s preferred terminology for the Gulf of Mexico. Before becoming press secretary, Leavitt had already established close ties with Trump. She worked in his first administration as an assistant press secretary and speechwriter. She later served as communications director for Republican Congresswoman Elise Stefanik and launched an unsuccessful campaign for Congress in New Hampshire in 2022. Although she won a competitive Republican primary, she lost the general election to Democratic Representative Chris Pappas. Leavitt subsequently worked as a spokesperson for MAGA Inc, a pro-Trump fundraising organisation, before joining Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign as national press secretary. She became one of the longest-serving press secretaries in Trump’s two administrations, behind former press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. The White House has yet to announce who will succeed Leavitt. During her maternity leave, several senior administration officials, including Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, took turns addressing reporters. White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller, who described Leavitt as a close friend and role model, said her departure would not end their professional relationship. He said they would continue working together and expressed confidence that Leavitt’s career would continue to develop beyond her White House role.

  • |

    Hamas accepts breakthrough disarmament framework as US announces Gaza peace deal

    US President Donald Trump announced that the international Board of Peace has reached a historic agreement for the complete disarmament of Hamas and all other armed groups in the Gaza Strip. Under the proposed framework, Hamas has agreed to the phased inventorying, storage, and decommissioning of its heavy and light weaponry under Palestinian supervision, marking the first time in the group’s history that it has accepted a formal plan to disarm completely. The agreement forms the core of the second phase of the US-brokered 20-point peace plan designed to end the long-running war. According to the terms, Israeli military forces will gradually withdraw from Gaza as disarmament milestones are met, transferring local security to an International Stabilisation Force operating alongside a newly formed Palestinian police force. Civil administration will simultaneously transition to a technocratic governing body, the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza. The breakthrough follows months of intensive negotiations in Cairo mediated by Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey. Internal momentum within Hamas shifted following leadership elections that elevated Gaza-based leader Khalil al-Hayya, alongside mounting pressure from the severe humanitarian crisis affecting over two million residents in the enclave. Senior Hamas officials confirmed their acceptance of the framework and indicated an official statement would be issued shortly, expecting mediators and the Board of Peace to guarantee Israeli compliance with the withdrawal timeline. Uncertainties remain regarding full implementation, as Israeli officials have expressed skepticism and maintained that complete demilitarisation remains a non-negotiable prerequisite. US officials acknowledged that whilst full disarmament and troop withdrawal could take up to a year, the consensus represents the most viable operational roadmap for ending the conflict to date.

  • | |

    Suspected crime boss Daniel Kinahan flown back to …

    An Irish government jet carrying suspected crime boss Daniel Kinahan has departed Dubai bound for Dublin, marking a major development in a years long effort to bring the alleged cartel leader to face justice in his native country. The 49 year old was arrested in the United Arab Emirates in April and is now being extradited to the Republic of Ireland, where he faces a charge of directing a criminal organisation. Upon arrival in Dublin, Kinahan will be formally charged and taken by Irish police, known as gardaí, to appear before the non jury, three judge Special Criminal Court on Sunday evening. Extensive security operation accompanies extradition Authorities have mounted a large scale security operation to manage the high profile extradition. In preparation, the Irish Prison Service purchased a specially designed bulletproof and bombproof van intended for escorting prisoners considered to pose a significant security risk, underscoring the scale of the precautions being taken around Kinahan’s return. Flight tracking data showed the plane carrying Kinahan departed Dubai at 13:19 local time, with the aircraft expected to land in Dublin before 19:00 local time on Sunday. Irish authorities are expected to pursue prosecution against him for his alleged role in leading an organised crime group with an extensive international reach. Cartel linked to drug trafficking and gangland murders The National Crime Agency in the United Kingdom has previously stated that the Kinahan cartel bears responsibility for importing tonnes of drugs and firearms across international borders, in addition to having links to more than a dozen gangland murders carried out over the years. Kinahan’s alleged criminal activity has drawn attention well beyond Ireland’s borders. The United States Treasury Department has previously described the Kinahan cartel as one of the most dangerous organised crime groups in the world, reflecting the scale and international scope of the organisation’s alleged operations. The US government imposed formal sanctions on Kinahan in April 2022 after identifying him, along with other members of his family, as leaders of the Kinahan organised crime cartel. The sanctions marked a significant escalation in international efforts to disrupt the group’s operations and cut off its financial networks. Long resistance to extradition finally ends Kinahan spent years fighting attempts to extradite him back to Ireland, where the Kinahan cartel became embroiled in a long running and violent gangland feud that ultimately claimed 18 lives. His return to face the Irish courts brings to a close a prolonged legal battle that spanned multiple jurisdictions and years of pursuit by international law enforcement agencies. The case has drawn significant public attention in Ireland given the scale of the alleged criminal enterprise and its connection to a violent feud that shook communities and claimed numerous lives over an extended period. Sunday’s court appearance will mark the first major legal step in what is expected to be a closely watched prosecution against one of the most prominent alleged organised crime figures pursued by Irish authorities in recent years.

  • | |

    Turkey submits bill to parliament aimed at reinteg…

    Turkey’s governing coalition put forward a draft law before parliament on Wednesday designed to secure lasting peace with the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, offering legal protection from prosecution to many former fighters and suspending prison terms for others. The legislation represents a significant step toward closing out an insurgency that has claimed more than 40,000 lives since 1984, deepened political divisions inside Turkey and spilled violence into neighboring Iraq and Syria over four decades. The bill aims to bring the long running conflict to a close in part by clearing the way for potentially thousands of former PKK fighters and civilians to return to Turkey from hideouts in northern Iraq. The measure carries support from a majority of lawmakers and is expected to clear parliament later this week, though public opinion polls suggest many Turks remain doubtful it will deliver a durable peace. Under the bill, Turkey’s national security council would confirm the group’s disarmament, while a dedicated committee, including the vice president, several cabinet ministers and the head of the MIT intelligence service, would supervise the surrender and disarmament of militants. That committee would then report on the process to a parliamentary oversight commission. According to the text of the legislation, the bill would suspend prison sentences for individuals convicted of PKK membership or of assisting the organization. It would also extend legal protection to fighters who were not involved in killings, provided they return to Turkey within six months of the law taking effect. PKK figures convicted of more serious offenses, including leading a terrorist organization or sentenced to aggravated life terms before 2005, would fall outside the scope of these protections and would not receive suspended sentences. That exclusion means PKK founder Abdullah Ocalan, who has been imprisoned since 1999 under an aggravated life sentence, would remain behind bars even as the broader peace process moves forward. Ocalan called on the PKK to lay down its weapons and dissolve last year, a call the group’s leadership accepted. President Tayyip Erdogan’s governing AK Party secured backing for the bill, formally titled the national solidarity and social integration law, from its nationalist ally the MHP as well as the pro Kurdish DEM Party. Most other parties in parliament, including the main opposition, have also expressed support for the legislation. DEM co chair Tuncer Bakirhan described the vote as an important first step, saying he hopes the process continues forward in a constructive direction. The peace initiative between Turkey, which fields NATO’s second largest army, and the PKK first got underway in late 2024. It nearly stalled earlier this year, however, as the war involving Iran raised fears of wider regional instability and diverted attention from the domestic peace effort. Turkey, along with the United States and the European Union, classifies the PKK as a terrorist organization. The group launched its armed campaign in 1984, initially demanding an independent Kurdish state in southeastern Turkey before later shifting its goals toward greater autonomy and expanded political rights for Kurdish communities within Turkey. The legislation now heads toward a parliamentary vote expected within days, marking one of the most consequential efforts yet to formally end a conflict that has shaped Turkish domestic politics and regional security dynamics for more than a generation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *