opec expected approve
|

OPEC+ expected to approve another oil output increase for September

OPEC+ is widely expected to approve another increase in oil production when its members meet virtually on Sunday, as the alliance continues to adjust supply while global energy markets remain affected by ongoing geopolitical tensions.

According to market analysts, Saudi Arabia, Russia and several other key members of the alliance are likely to raise their combined production target by around 188,000 barrels per day for September. If approved, the increase would continue a series of monthly production hikes introduced this year and is expected to mark the final step in the group’s current plan to gradually restore previously reduced output.

OPEC+, which includes members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allied producers, introduced major production cuts between late 2022 and 2023 after concerns that falling oil prices could weaken global energy markets. Those reductions removed nearly six million barrels of oil per day from the market in three separate phases. As demand gradually recovered, the group shifted its strategy by slowly increasing production, beginning in 2025, to balance supply while supporting market stability.

A September increase would complete the reversal of the second package of production cuts introduced during that period. However, analysts note that higher production targets do not necessarily mean actual oil output will increase by the same amount. Several member countries are currently unable to reach their assigned quotas because of declining production capacity, ageing infrastructure or operational challenges.

Energy analyst Giovanni Staunovo of UBS said many producers are already pumping below their official targets, making further quota increases less significant in practical terms. He noted that production capacity has declined in several member states, limiting their ability to take full advantage of higher output allowances.

Regional tensions have also affected oil exports. Gulf producers continue to face challenges because shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has been disrupted during the conflict involving Iran. Although maritime traffic briefly improved after a memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran was signed in June, transport through one of the world’s busiest oil routes remains uncertain.

Russia is also dealing with production difficulties as repeated Ukrainian drone attacks have targeted parts of its energy infrastructure. Current Russian oil production remains close to nine million barrels per day, well below its official production target of 9.8 million barrels per day, highlighting the gap between quotas and actual output.

Some OPEC+ members, including Iraq, have indicated they want to increase production significantly once conditions allow. At the same time, the alliance is reviewing the maximum sustainable production capacity of each member to help determine future output allocations. These discussions are expected to play an important role in setting production quotas for 2027 and beyond.

Analysts believe negotiations over future production targets could become more challenging after the September meeting. While they say the alliance remains united for now, the departure of the United Arab Emirates from OPEC+ earlier this year has raised questions about the group’s long term cohesion. The UAE said its decision to leave was based on national interests and long term strategic goals, pointing to major investments aimed at expanding its oil production capacity beyond the limits previously set by the alliance.

Despite these challenges, OPEC+ is expected to continue coordinating production policies in an effort to maintain stability in the global oil market as economic uncertainty and geopolitical tensions continue to influence energy demand and supply.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Suspect in Berlin pride attack shot dead by police

    The suspect accused of driving a minivan into a crowd near Berlin’s annual LGBTQ Pride gathering, killing one person and injuring 29 others, was shot dead by police in the city’s Spandau district on Sunday, authorities confirmed . The ramming attack occurred at approximately 10 pm (2000 GMT) on Saturday in Tiergarten park, near the Brandenburg Gate and close to one of Europe’s largest LGBTQ celebrations, Christopher Street Day . Berlin police identified the suspect as Abdul B, a 21-year-old German citizen of Lebanese heritage, born in Germany in 2005 . According to Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt, the suspect had “attracted attention in the past through a high number of criminal offences and was known to be radicalised” . Police located the suspect at an allotment garden complex in Spandau at around 6 pm (1600 GMT) on Sunday . “According to initial findings, he ran towards officers while armed with a bladed weapon; police subsequently opened fire,” Berlin police wrote on X . Despite immediate resuscitation efforts by the Berlin Fire Department, the suspect was pronounced dead, a federal prosecutor’s spokesperson confirmed . Earlier, police had published the suspect’s picture and appealed to the public for information on his whereabouts . The attack marks the latest in a series of vehicle-ramming incidents on crowds in Germany in recent years, which have intensified debate around security and immigration amid a surge in support for the far-right . A memorial service was planned at St Mary’s Church in Berlin, with Chancellor Friedrich Meuthen expected to attend . The Christopher Street Day parade, which was called off following the attack, had been expected to draw hundreds of thousands of participants and spectators to the German capital .

  • |

    BTS confirms Grammy boycott after backlash over new Best Asian Pop category

    BTS has officially stepped back from the upcoming Grammy Awards, following major fan backlash over a newly created category many felt singled out Asian artists instead of including them. On Wednesday, July 29, the K-pop group announced it would not be submitting its music for consideration at the 69th Annual Grammy Awards, effectively confirming a boycott of next year’s ceremony. The announcement came through a joint statement posted across the members’ individual Instagram Stories. Jung Kook, Jimin, V, Suga, RM, Jin, and J-Hope all shared the same message, confirming that none of them would take part in the ceremony scheduled for February 7, 2027. “We have decided not to submit to the Grammys this year. We hope music can be heard and embraced for what it is, beyond region or language,” the group wrote. They added a note of thanks to their fanbase, saying, “Thank you to ARMY and everyone who continues to support us.” The decision means BTS is walking away from a shot at what would have been their first-ever Grammy win, something the members have repeatedly named as one of their biggest career goals. Skipping the ceremony entirely puts that milestone on hold, at least for another cycle. The move follows the Recording Academy’s June 16 announcement introducing five new award categories for the 2027 Grammys, one of which was Best Asian Pop Music Performance. While intended as a way to recognize the genre’s growing global reach, the category quickly drew criticism from BTS’s fandom. Many argued that instead of placing Asian artists on equal footing with their peers across other genres, the new category effectively boxed them into a separate lane, something fans felt ran counter to the idea of true recognition. Critics of the category pointed out that grouping Asian pop acts together, regardless of style or sound, risks reducing diverse artists to a single regional label rather than judging their work on the same terms as everyone else in the industry. For a band that has spent years pushing for mainstream recognition without being defined solely by their nationality, the new category struck a nerve. BTS’s decision to sit out the ceremony entirely sends a clear message about where they stand on the issue, even at the cost of a long-awaited Grammy opportunity.

  • |

    AI errors hit report behind Australia’s under-16 ban

    A government-commissioned report that helped support Australia’s plan to restrict social media access for children under 16 has come under scrutiny after several inaccurate and apparently fabricated academic references were identified. The report, produced as part of a $3.48 million government-funded trial examining age-assurance technologies, was prepared by the Age Check Certification Scheme (ACCS). The organisation has acknowledged that ChatGPT was used to rewrite parts of the document after initially denying that artificial intelligence had been involved. An analysis of the report found six problematic citations in a chapter examining emerging technologies. Some of the digital object identifiers, or DOIs, reportedly directed readers to research papers that did not exist. Other references contained combinations of authors, journals and publication dates that could not be verified in academic records. In another case, a DOI reportedly led to a genuine research paper, but the paper did not support the claim attributed to it in the report. The controversy intensified after ACCS was questioned about the use of artificial intelligence. A spokesperson initially said no AI had been used in producing the report. The organisation later acknowledged that ChatGPT metadata was present in four links across two sections of the document. ACCS maintained that the metadata effectively disclosed the use of the tool and said the references had been manually checked. However, efforts to correct the disputed citations reportedly resulted in further inconsistencies. One example involved a research paper that an ACCS source said had been accessed in March 2025. According to the paper’s lead author, however, the research was not published until June 2025, raising additional questions about the accuracy of the report’s references. The report has attracted attention because it was used in the policy process surrounding Australia’s planned restrictions on social media for under-16s. Communications Minister Anika Wells had previously praised the report for identifying potential approaches to age verification. The minister’s department told a Senate inquiry that it had discussed the citation problems with ACCS. However, the department was reportedly informed about faulty links rather than allegations that some references had been fabricated. Australian National University academic Christian Downie warned that unreliable references can have serious consequences regardless of whether they were generated by AI or resulted from human error. He said inaccurate citations could contribute to poor policymaking and weaken public confidence in government-commissioned research. Independent Senator Fatima Payman also compared the controversy with a separate case involving Deloitte, which refunded part of a $440,000 government contract after problems were identified with AI-generated references.

  • | |

    ‘Patriotism has no single definition’: CJP lea…

    NEW DELHI: Abhijeet Deepke, leader of India’s Cockroach Janata Party (CJP), has criticised the Indian government after being labelled a national security threat, saying patriotism should not be defined according to the government’s expectations. Speaking in an interview with an American television channel, Deepke said he considered himself a patriot but rejected the idea that citizens must demonstrate their patriotism in a particular way prescribed by the authorities. Deepke said he was deeply disappointed by the government’s decision to portray him as a threat to national security after he spoke out against the system and established the CJP. He had been living in the United States as an Indian student while holding an Indian passport. The CJP leader said he had decided to return to India from the United States, describing the move as an opportunity to demonstrate his commitment to the country and challenge the allegations made against him. His remarks come amid heightened political tensions surrounding youth-led protests and growing criticism of the government over its handling of dissent and political opposition.

  • | | |

    Zara Noor Abbas and Asma Abbas win hearts with gra…

    Pakistani actress Zara Noor Abbas has delighted fans after sharing a charming dance video with her mother, veteran actress Asma Abbas. The mother-daughter duo appeared together in traditional outfits in the video. Their graceful performance quickly attracted attention on social media. Zara shared the video on Instagram. She was seen dancing with her mother to a song featuring renowned musician A.R. Rahman and other artists. Both actresses wore coordinated traditional attire. They appeared comfortable and happy while performing together. The video was accompanied by an emotional message from Zara. She spoke about her close relationship with her mother and the special bond shared between generations. Zara explained that the video was not simply about dancing with her mother. She said it represented a deeper connection between them. According to the actress, some qualities are not taught formally. Instead, they are naturally passed from one generation to another. Zara said she did not learn every dance step from her mother in a traditional way. Despite this, she feels that her body naturally understands her mother’s rhythm and style. She reflected on the many little things she has learned from Asma Abbas over the years. She said these lessons were often picked up naturally rather than through direct teaching. Zara also shared a sweet moment from their dance practice. She said that whenever she makes a mistake during a dance step, her mother gently places a hand on her shoulder and brings her closer. Her mother then shows her the correct movement. Zara said the same affection and guidance continue in her everyday life. She described her mother as someone who continues to guide her even in the smallest matters. The actress highlighted the emotional connection behind their performance. She said some things are deliberately taught, while others become part of a family through generations. Her heartfelt caption resonated with many fans. The video soon received positive reactions from social media users and fellow members of the entertainment industry. Actress Hira Mani reacted to the post with heart emojis. Hira Khan also left an affectionate comment. Hina Afridi and several other users praised the mother-daughter duo and expressed their love for the performance. The video has attracted attention not only for the dance but also for the warmth between Zara and Asma. Fans appreciated the natural chemistry between the two actresses. Many also praised the emotional message attached to the performance.

  • | |

    Former Sindh MPA seeks case against ex-wife over a…

    Former Sindh Assembly member Ghulam Rasool Anr has approached a court seeking registration of a case against his former wife over alleged fraud, blackmail and death threats. In his petition, Anr said he first became acquainted with the woman through social media. He claimed that whenever he asked her to show her face, she would send him images allegedly generated using artificial intelligence. According to the petitioner, the two got married through a video call on February 23 this year. He said the woman was wearing a veil even on the day of the marriage. Anr claimed that after the marriage, he saw the woman in person and found her appearance completely different from the pictures she had previously sent him. He said that after seeing her face, he distanced himself from her and subsequently divorced her on August 9. The former lawmaker further alleged that following the divorce, the woman began blackmailing him and allegedly threatening to kill him. He has asked the court to direct police to register a case against his former wife and take legal action over the allegations. The court has issued a notice to the police and sought a report by August 17. The allegations contained in the petition have yet to be established in court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *