philippines school shooting
| |

Philippines school shooting livestreamed by studen…

ZAMBOANGA, Philippines: A school in the southern Philippines was plunged into panic on Tuesday after a Grade 9 student opened fire inside classrooms, killing a fellow student before taking his own life, authorities said. The attack was reportedly livestreamed through a body-worn camera, adding a disturbing dimension to an incident that has renewed concerns over school safety in the country.

The shooting occurred at a school attached to the privately run Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga city. According to a preliminary police report, the student entered the campus carrying a pistol and a rifle before firing inside two classrooms.

Zamboanga Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso said authorities confirmed that the attack had been livestreamed. Reuters said it verified footage showing the shooter entering one classroom and opening fire before switching weapons and moving to another classroom.

Police identified the victim as a male Grade 10 student. The gunman, who was a Grade 9 student, later died by suicide. Two other people were wounded, while several students suffered injuries as they attempted to flee the building during the chaos. Classes were subsequently suspended.

The motive behind the attack remained unclear. Officials said one of the weapons was a .40-caliber pistol issued by the Bureau of Customs to the shooter’s father, who is a customs official and has since been relieved of his post. A second firearm recovered from the scene was reportedly a licensed weapon belonging to the father.

The incident prompted an immediate response from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who ordered law enforcement agencies to investigate the shooting and examine measures to prevent violence in schools.

“Our schools are where we entrust our children to learn, to grow and to dream about the lives ahead of them,” Marcos said, stressing that schools should be among the safest places in the country.

The school occupies an approximately eight-hectare site and includes facilities for grade school and junior high school students. Videos verified by Reuters showed students rushing from the campus as gunshots could be heard in the background.

Tuesday’s attack comes less than two months after another school shooting in the Philippines. In June, at least three students were killed and about 20 others injured when two students opened fire at a public high school in Tacloban City.

School shootings remain relatively uncommon in the Philippines, which has regulations covering firearm ownership, including background checks and psychological evaluations. However, officials continue to face challenges from the circulation of illegal firearms.

The Zamboanga shooting also came less than 10 days after a student shooting rampage at a school near Bangkok, highlighting growing regional concerns over violence involving young people and the urgent need for stronger safeguards in educational institutions.

Similar Posts

  • |

    GIDC Amendment Bill to unlock Rs400bn stuck dues

    ISLAMABAD: The National Assembly is expected to consider the Gas Infrastructure Development Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2026, a proposed legal change aimed at resolving more than Rs400 billion in disputed and outstanding Gas Infrastructure Development Cess (GIDC) payments currently tied up in litigation. The proposed legislation seeks to amend the Gas Infrastructure Development Cess Act, 2015, and comes after years of legal disputes between the government and major gas consumers, including industrial, fertiliser and CNG sectors. The Cabinet Committee for Disposal of Legislative Cases (CCLC) approved the proposed amendments in principle earlier this year, paving the way for the government to move forward with the legislative process. The GIDC was originally introduced to generate funds for major gas infrastructure projects, including the Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline, the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) pipeline, LNG-related projects and other associated infrastructure. However, progress on several of these projects has remained slow, while the collection and utilisation of the cess became the subject of prolonged litigation. Legal history of GIDC According to a briefing provided by the Petroleum Division to the CCLC, the original Gas Infrastructure Development Cess Act, 2011, and the GIDC Ordinance, 2014 were struck down by the Supreme Court in 2014. The government subsequently enacted the GIDC Act, 2015, in May that year. The new legislation also provided retrospective legal cover to the cess that had been charged and collected under the 2011 Act and the 2014 ordinance. Section 4(1) of the 2015 law specifies that the cess is to be utilised by the federal government for infrastructure development related to the IP pipeline, TAPI pipeline, LNG projects and other ancillary schemes. The constitutional validity of the 2015 legislation was subsequently challenged by consumers from the industrial, fertiliser and CNG sectors before different high courts. The disputes eventually reached the Supreme Court. In its judgment of August 13, 2020, the Supreme Court dismissed the civil appeals and connected petitions and upheld the constitutionality of the GIDC Act, 2015, including its retrospective application. The court, however, did not permit the government to impose a fresh cess under the disputed arrangements. Instead, it allowed recovery of outstanding arrears through instalments. Supreme Court links cess to infrastructure projects A significant aspect of the Supreme Court’s ruling was its observation that GIDC constituted a fee rather than a conventional tax. As a fee, the court noted, there must be a corresponding benefit or service associated with the amount collected. The infrastructure projects identified under Section 4 of the Act therefore formed an important basis for the continuation and utilisation of the cess. The court also observed that failure to pursue the specified gas infrastructure projects could undermine the purpose for which the cess had been imposed. Despite the Supreme Court judgment, the dispute did not come to an immediate end, as consumers continued pursuing related matters before the high courts. This resulted in a substantial amount of GIDC remaining locked in prolonged litigation. Government forms high-powered committee In an attempt to find a solution, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif constituted a high-powered GIDC Committee on November 8, 2022, to examine the issue of outstanding amounts exceeding Rs400 billion. The committee held several meetings following its formation, but progress remained limited because of continuing litigation in different high courts. The matter was again taken up on March 19, 2025, when the committee met under the chairmanship of the federal Minister for Finance and Revenue. The meeting was attended by the Minister for Petroleum Division, the Attorney General for Pakistan and senior officials from the Petroleum, Finance and Law divisions. During the meeting, participants agreed in principle that Section 4 of the GIDC Act, 2015 should be amended to help address the long-running legal disputes. Following the committee’s recommendations, the Petroleum Division prepared a proposal for amendments and submitted a summary seeking approval of the draft GIDC (Amendment) Act, 2025. First amendment proposal rejected The initial proposal, however, was not approved by the CCLC at its meeting on September 3, 2025. The committee directed the Petroleum Division to revisit the draft and ensure that the proposed changes remained within the original scope and objectives of the GIDC Act, 2015. The Petroleum Division subsequently revised the draft after consultations with the relevant government departments. The amended draft was sent to the Law and Justice Division for legal scrutiny, which gave its concurrence on December 15, 2025. The Petroleum Division then sought formal approval of the revised GIDC amendment bill under the relevant provisions of the Rules of Business, 1973. The Finance Division had also been consulted during the process and conveyed that it had no objection to the proposal contained in the summary submitted to the CCLC. CCLC gives approval to revised proposal The CCLC considered a Petroleum Division summary dated January 1, 2026 concerning amendments to the GIDC Act, 2015. The committee approved the proposal, subject to the incorporation of amendments recommended by the CCLC into the draft legislation by the Law and Justice Division before the bill was submitted to the federal Cabinet. The approval represents another attempt by the government to break the deadlock surrounding billions of rupees in GIDC dues and bring a degree of finality to disputes that have continued for more than a decade. TAPI project remains slow The government’s original justification for GIDC included financing major regional gas infrastructure projects. However, the implementation of these projects has remained challenging. The TAPI pipeline, envisioned to transport natural gas from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan and Pakistan to India, has faced repeated delays because of financial, security and geopolitical challenges. Although work has reportedly begun on an initial 153-kilometre section extending from Serhetabat on the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan border towards Herat in western Afghanistan, the broader project remains far from completion. The slow progress of the pipeline and other proposed infrastructure projects has also remained relevant to the broader debate over the purpose and utilisation of GIDC collections. The proposed amendment is therefore being viewed as an effort to address both the legal complications surrounding outstanding dues and the government’s

  • |

    Nicholas Hoult joins HBO’s Harry Potter as Gilderoy Lockhart

    Nicholas Hoult is stepping into the magical world of Hogwarts, taking on the role of the charming but self-obsessed Professor Gilderoy Lockhart in HBO’s upcoming Harry Potter series. The casting news was confirmed by HBO Max on Tuesday, August 11, adding another high-profile name to the growing ensemble of the highly anticipated reboot. Hoult will portray the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in the show’s second season, succeeding Kenneth Branagh, who played the character in the original 2002 film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Gilderoy Lockhart is introduced in the second Harry Potter story as a celebrated wizard who joins Hogwarts as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Known for his confidence, charm and flamboyant personality, Lockhart has gained fame for writing books about his supposed heroic achievements. However, his public image is far more impressive than his actual abilities. Throughout the story, his exaggerated claims and lack of competence become increasingly apparent, making him one of the more memorable and comedic characters in the Harry Potter universe. Hoult’s addition further strengthens the star-studded cast of HBO’s new adaptation. The series features John Lithgow as Albus Dumbledore, Janet McTeer as Minerva McGonagall and Johnny Flynn as Lucius Malfoy. The young stars leading the new generation of Hogwarts students include Dominic McLaughlin as Harry Potter, Arabella Stanton as Hermione Granger and Alastair Stout as Ron Weasley. Their casting has generated significant interest as audiences prepare to see the beloved story retold for television. Production on the series began in July 2025, with the first season scheduled to premiere on HBO Max on December 25. The adaptation is expected to explore J.K. Rowling’s original books in greater detail than the films, allowing more room for characters, storylines and events that were previously condensed or omitted. The Harry Potter franchise, however, continues to face controversy because of Rowling’s public comments about transgender issues. The author has faced criticism since 2020 over remarks that many viewed as transphobic. Rowling has rejected that characterization and has maintained that her views are focused on women’s rights. Despite the controversy surrounding the author, Rowling remains involved with the television adaptation as an executive producer. For Hoult, the Harry Potter role comes after another major franchise appearance. The actor recently portrayed Lex Luthor in James Gunn’s Superman and is expected to return as the iconic villain in the upcoming sequel, Man of Tomorrow, scheduled for release in 2027. Hoult is also set to appear in How to Rob a Bank, which is slated for release on November 13, adding another major project to his increasingly busy film and television career.

  • Chinese National Arrested in Chiang Mai Over Altered Passport

    CHIANG MAI – Immigration officers in Chiang Mai arrested a Chinese male national on July 17, 2026. The suspect allegedly tried to extend his stay in Thailand by using a heavily altered fake passport. Local officers discovered the forged travel document during a routine review at the local office. The suspect quickly admitted to changing the […]

  • |

    Nida Yasir and Yasir Nawaz’s Scotland vacation wins hearts

    Pakistani television personalities Nida Yasir and Yasir Nawaz are spending quality time with their family during a vacation in the United Kingdom. The couple, known for their long and successful careers in the entertainment industry, has been sharing glimpses of their trip, delighting fans with heartwarming moments from their travels. Before beginning their holiday, the family celebrated an important milestone by attending the graduation ceremony of their daughter, Sila. Proud parents Nida and Yasir marked the special occasion alongside their children, making it one of the highlights of their UK visit. Fans congratulated the family after photos from the graduation surfaced online, praising the couple for supporting their daughter’s academic achievement. Following the graduation celebrations, the family traveled to Scotland, where they explored the historic city of Edinburgh. Known for its medieval architecture, cobbled streets, and breathtaking landmarks, Edinburgh offered the perfect backdrop for the family’s relaxing getaway. Nida and Yasir were seen visiting several popular attractions while enjoying the city’s rich history and scenic beauty with their children, Fareed and Balaaj. The vacation also coincided with Yasir Nawaz’s birthday, giving the family another reason to celebrate together. They marked the occasion with a special dinner at The Witchery, one of Edinburgh’s most famous luxury Gothic restaurants. The elegant venue, known for its unique atmosphere and fine dining experience, added a memorable touch to the birthday festivities. Photos shared from the celebration captured the family smiling together as they enjoyed the evening. Yasir Nawaz appeared delighted as he celebrated his birthday surrounded by his loved ones. Nida Yasir also shared cheerful moments from the dinner, giving fans a closer look at the family’s joyful gathering. Nida Yasir remains one of Pakistan’s most recognizable television hosts, having built a successful career spanning nearly two decades in morning television. Her presence on screen and connection with viewers have made her one of the country’s most popular media personalities. Yasir Nawaz has also earned widespread appreciation for his work as an actor, director, and producer, with several successful television dramas and projects to his credit over the years. Together, the couple has established themselves as one of Pakistan’s most admired celebrity pairs. They frequently share glimpses of their family life and travels, allowing fans to celebrate important milestones alongside them. Their latest UK vacation has once again attracted attention on social media, with followers expressing admiration for the family’s close bond and the memorable experiences they continue to create together. From celebrating their daughter’s graduation to exploring the picturesque streets of Edinburgh and enjoying a birthday dinner in a historic setting, the trip has been filled with special moments. The family’s vacation photos have received warm responses online, with fans sending congratulatory messages and wishing Yasir Nawaz a happy birthday while appreciating the beautiful memories created during their time in Scotland.

  • |

    Pakistan dismisses Indian defence minister’s Azad Kashmir threats as attempt to hide domestic turmoil

    Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif has forcefully rejected comments by his Indian counterpart, Rajnath Singh, who declared that New Delhi would only hold talks on Azad Kashmir, claimed the Pakistani-administered region as an “integral part of India”, and warned that any attempt to undermine Indian sovereignty would invite a “decisive response” from its armed forces. Singh had also accused Islamabad of continuing to sponsor “terrorism” against India. Asif hit back directly, stating that Singh’s aggressive rhetoric was a clear attempt to “deflect the attention from internal turmoil and increasing unrest” following mass protests against Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government. He warned New Delhi against distortion and military posturing, emphasising that while Pakistan remains committed to peace, its resolve to defend its sovereignty is absolute and must never be tested. The Pakistani Foreign Office echoed these concerns, calling on the United Nations to hold India accountable to Security Council resolutions guaranteeing the Kashmiri people’s right to self-determination.

  • Egypt secures energy alternatives after drone attack on Damietta Gas Vessel

    Egypt’s Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly has announced that the country has secured alternatives to cover its energy needs following a drone attack on Wednesday that damaged a gas vessel at Damietta port. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and authorities are continuing their investigation, Madbouly added. The incident marks the latest escalation in maritime tensions that have spread across the Red Sea and eastern Mediterranean amid the wider Iran war. The attack on Damietta port comes as regional tensions continue to mount. In a separate development, Iran’s state media claimed strikes on Bahrain’s Sheikh Isa Airbase, while the Israeli army bombed a town in southern Lebanon. The United States has also issued new sanctions targeting support networks for Iran’s Mahan Air. The drone strike at Damietta adds to growing concerns over the security of energy infrastructure in the region, as attacks on shipping and energy facilities have become increasingly common since the outbreak of the US-Iran conflict. The Red Sea and surrounding waterways have seen a series of attacks on commercial vessels, with Yemen’s Houthi rebels targeting Saudi-linked shipping in what they say is solidarity with Palestinians. Egypt’s ability to secure alternative energy supplies will be critical in mitigating the impact of the attack on its domestic energy needs and potentially avoiding further economic disruption. The incident underscores the vulnerability of energy infrastructure in the region and the broader implications of the ongoing conflict for global energy markets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *