pic penalizes rawalpindi

PIC penalizes Rawalpindi Cantonment Board Chief Engineer

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Information Commission (PIC) has imposed a penalty equivalent to 30 days’ salary on Atiq Ur Rahman, Chief Engineer, Rawalpindi Cantonment Board, under Section 20(1)(f) of the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017.

The Commission issued the penalty after noting the continued failure to submit a written response to the rejoinder and show cause notice and the non-appearance of the Chief Engineer before the Commission.

Order of the Commission states that on July 7, 2026, no one appeared before the Commission to file a reply to the rejoinder. Consequently, a show cause notice was issued to Atiq Ur Rahman, directing him to submit a written reply to the notice as well as a response to the rejoinder.

On July 28, 2026, Atiq Ur Rahman appeared in person before the Commission. On his request, he was granted an opportunity to file both the reply to the rejoinder and the reply to the show cause notice.

However, on the subsequent date of hearing, the Commission noted that neither a written reply had been received nor had anyone appeared before it on behalf of the concerned official.

The Commission further noted that its office attempted to contact Atiq Ur Rahman on his official telephone number, but the call reportedly remained unanswered.

In its order, the Commission observed that the failure to submit a response to the show cause notice and the non-appearance before the Commission reflected an irresponsible attitude. It further held that the continued failure to respond demonstrated that there was no defence presented by the Chief Engineer and that sufficient grounds existed to proceed against him under Section 20(1)(f) of the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017.

The Commission concluded that the delay in submitting a reply to the rejoinder had been deliberate and had affected the timely disposal of the appeal. It therefore imposed a penalty equivalent to 30 days’ salary on Atiq Ur Rahman.

The Commission has directed the Director General, Military Land and Cantonment Department; the Accountant General, Pakistan Military Accounts Department; and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Rawalpindi Cantonment Board, to deduct the equivalent of 30 days’ salary from Atiq Ur Rahman’s salary. They have also been directed to submit a compliance report before the next date of hearing.

In addition, the CEO, Rawalpindi Cantonment Board, has been directed to submit a written reply to the rejoinder. The Commission warned that, in the absence of such a reply, the appeal would be decided in accordance with the law.
The matter has been adjourned until September 2, 2026, when the case is scheduled to be taken up again.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Sindh High Court seeks record in Mustafa Amir murd…

    The Sindh High Court has expressed concern over delays in the trial of Mustafa Amir’s murder case. The court has sought the complete case record from the trial court. Mustafa Amir’s mother approached the high court against what she described as slow progress in the case. During the hearing, the court questioned why the proceedings had not moved forward. The court also asked whether Section 302 had been added to the case. The complainant’s lawyer said several cases were pending against suspect Armaghan. He alleged that different delaying tactics were being used to slow the proceedings. According to the lawyer, the defence had given several reasons for the delays. At times, disagreements reportedly occurred between the suspect and his parents. On other occasions, the defence lawyer did not appear in court. The suspect had also expressed a lack of confidence in the trial court. The court questioned why the cases were not proceeding despite the suspect being in jail. It observed that continued delays could keep him behind bars for years if he failed to secure bail. The complainant’s lawyer said the case was highly important. However, he claimed that the proceedings were mainly resulting in new hearing dates. The court said the trial should move forward quickly if the accused was using delaying tactics. It said the trial court and prosecution would be given directions to ensure the case proceeds without unnecessary delays. Justice Abdul Rahman also asked whether a medical board had been formed to conduct a psychological examination of the suspect. The complainant’s lawyer said the board had not yet been constituted. Justice Iqbal Kalhoro asked whether charges had been formally framed in the case. The court also directed the complainant to file an application seeking an early trial. The judges warned that prolonged delays could affect the evidence of witnesses. They said witnesses could forget important details if the proceedings remained pending for a long period. Meanwhile, CIA police have also started investigating the alleged drug-related aspect of the Mustafa Amir murder case. The complainant’s lawyer told the court that an application had already been submitted. He said the relevant material was available in the case diary. The court directed the authorities to submit a report at the next hearing. The report will include details of the case’s progress and the adjournments that have taken place. Speaking outside the Sindh High Court, Mustafa Amir’s mother said the case had been delayed for around one and a half years. She alleged that unnecessary delays were affecting the proceedings.

  • | | | |

    Egypt weighs joining Pakistan-Saudi-Türkiye defen…

    CAIRO: Egypt has started a serious review of the possibility of joining the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye. Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said Cairo has close and strategic relations with all three countries. He said Egypt’s ties with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye extend beyond political cooperation. Abdelatty was asked about Egypt’s possible inclusion in the defence agreement. He said Egypt has been aware of the pact since the beginning. He confirmed that Egyptian state institutions are currently conducting a comprehensive assessment of the agreement. The minister said no final decision has been taken yet. He added that the relevant Egyptian authorities are examining the agreement and its possible implications. Abdelatty stressed that defence agreements involve important commitments. Therefore, Egypt must carefully assess all legal and constitutional aspects before making a decision. He said any possible Egyptian participation would have to comply with the country’s Constitution and existing legal requirements. The review will also consider the responsibilities that could arise from joining the agreement. The development comes days after Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye signed the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement. The pact seeks to strengthen defence cooperation among the three countries and enhance their collective security. Under the agreement, an attack against any one of the three countries would be considered an attack against all three. The arrangement has been described as a major step towards closer defence and strategic cooperation.

  • | |

    Imran Khan receives eight books in jail

    PTI founder Imran Khan has been provided with eight books in jail following directions from the Islamabad High Court. A deputy superintendent of the jail said the prison authorities received the eight books from the Islamabad High Court. The court had directed the authorities to provide the books to Imran Khan. The jail administration subsequently handed all eight books over to the PTI founder. However, Khan returned four of the books to the jail authorities. He reportedly told officials that he had already read those books. The remaining books were kept with him after being delivered by the prison administration. The development comes after the Islamabad High Court issued directions regarding access to reading material for the former prime minister. The jail authorities confirmed that the court’s instructions regarding the books had been followed. Officials did not provide further details about the titles of the books that were delivered or returned. The provision of books gives Khan access to additional reading material during his time in prison.

  • |

    NDMA warns of rising river levels, flood risk

    The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has warned that water levels in several major rivers across Pakistan could rise sharply from August 2 to 4 as monsoon rains intensify, raising the risk of flooding in various parts of the country. The NDMA urged citizens to avoid unnecessary travel to flood-prone areas and remain alert to changing weather and road conditions. According to the authority’s National Emergencies Operation Centre (NEOC), the Lehri River at Head Gogi has reached high flood levels, while Nullah Palkhu at Wazirabad is experiencing medium-level flooding. The Indus River continues to face low-level flooding at Kalabagh, Chashma, Guddu and Sukkur, while the Nari River is also reporting low-level flooding at Head Nari. The NDMA expects high flows in the Chenab River at Marala, with low to medium flows likely at Khanki and Qadirabad. The Jhelum, Ravi and Kabul rivers, along with their tributaries, may also see rising water levels. The NDMA warned that streams connected to the Jhelum, Chenab and Ravi could experience medium to high flows. Water levels in the Ravi and Sutlej rivers will also depend on water releases from reservoirs in India. The authority has also highlighted the threat of flash floods in hill torrents across Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur, as well as seasonal streams in central and southern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and northern Balochistan. Urban flooding and water accumulation could affect low-lying areas in Rawalpindi, Jhelum, Gujranwala, Lahore, Faisalabad, Peshawar, Mardan, Nowshera, Hyderabad, Badin, Thatta and other parts of Sindh. The NDMA advised people not to cross flooded areas on foot or in vehicles and to check weather forecasts and road conditions before travelling. It also asked residents to follow directions from local authorities and stay informed through the official Pak NDMA Disaster Alert mobile application. Meanwhile, the Emergency Response Committee (ERC), formed by the prime minister, held its 10th consecutive daily meeting on Sunday to review the country’s monsoon preparedness and response. The committee directed relevant authorities to maintain maximum preparedness and speed up relief and rehabilitation operations. The meeting also reviewed the forecast of further rainfall in northern and central Pakistan, with isolated showers expected in southeastern Sindh.

  • | | | | |

    Crystal Meth and Meth Tablets Found in Phuket Courier Packages Valued at 25 Million Baht

    Phuket – On July 22nd, 2026, the Customs Department, through the Regional Customs Office 5, carried out a targeted inspection at a private courier company in Phuket. The operation was to prevent the spread of illegal substances in one of Thailand’s most prominent tourist destinations. Using X-ray screening and random checks on suspicious parcels, officers […]

  • | |

    PPP alleges polling irregularities during second p…

    ISLAMABAD: The second phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections faced fresh controversy on Sunday after the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) alleged delays, administrative shortcomings and electoral irregularities in several constituencies. Meanwhile, the AJK Election Commission postponed polling in one constituency due to severe weather conditions. Polling continued in 21 constituencies, including nine seats in Muzaffarabad Division and 12 refugee constituencies across Pakistan. More than 1.2 million registered voters were eligible to cast their ballots under strict security arrangements. PPP AJK Election Cell In-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor claimed that polling was delayed in several constituencies because polling staff failed to reach polling stations before voting began. He said dozens of polling stations remained without election officials at the scheduled opening time, causing inconvenience to voters and delaying the electoral process. According to the PPP, similar problems were reported in multiple constituencies where polling staff arrived late, preventing voters from exercising their right to vote on time. The party urged the Election Commission and local administration to ensure immediate deployment of staff and restore normal polling. Separately, the AJK Election Commission announced that polling in LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I had been postponed after heavy rainfall and landslides blocked key roads, making it impossible for polling teams and election material to reach several polling stations. Election authorities said efforts were made to reopen the affected routes, but worsening weather conditions prevented polling from taking place. The Commission said a new polling date would be announced later and apologised to voters for the inconvenience. The PPP questioned the decision to postpone polling across the entire constituency. Party leaders argued that if only certain polling stations were affected by landslides, polling should have continued in the remaining accessible areas. They called on the Election Commission to release a detailed report explaining the reasons behind the postponement. The party also alleged delays in additional constituencies, claiming that polling staff had not reached several stations even hours after voting officially began. It maintained that the delays affected voter participation and raised concerns over the smooth conduct of the election. PPP leaders further alleged that blocked roads prevented hundreds of voters from reaching polling stations. The party demanded the immediate reopening of affected routes and called for measures to ensure that voters could cast their ballots without obstruction. In another complaint, the PPP claimed that some of its polling agents were prevented from performing their duties at polling stations despite fulfilling legal requirements. The party urged election authorities to intervene and ensure equal treatment of all contesting candidates and their representatives. The PPP also accused rival political workers of violating election rules in certain constituencies and alleged that government employees were participating in election activities in violation of the code of conduct. The party demanded an immediate investigation and legal action wherever irregularities were confirmed. Separately, PPP leader Nadeem Afzal Chan criticised the conduct of the elections, describing reported delays in ballot paper distribution and administrative issues as unacceptable. He said the party wanted the electoral process to remain transparent and credible and warned that unresolved issues could undermine public confidence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *