poland8217s main opposition
|

Poland’s main opposition party splits following loyalty pledge ultimatum

Poland’s main opposition Law and Justice (PiS) party has fractured following a severe internal dispute over its political strategy, with former Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and dozens of his allies breaking ranks with longtime leader Jarosław Kaczyński.

The split occurred after Kaczyński issued an ultimatum demanding all PiS lawmakers sign a strict loyalty oath committing them not to collaborate with outside political groups.

Dozens of parliamentarians, led by Morawiecki, refused to sign the pledge before the deadline, leading Kaczyński to declare that those who abstained had effectively resigned from the party.

The former prime minister confirmed that his faction includes 40 members of parliament, three members of the European Parliament, and one senator, though he maintained that his group sought to preserve unity while broadening the right-wing electoral base toward younger, centre-right voters.

The division threatens PiS’s status as the largest party in the Polish parliament, a position it held despite losing power to Donald Tusk’s pro-European coalition in 2023.

As the conservative vote increasingly fragments across competing factions ahead of the 2027 parliamentary elections, the formal expulsion of the dissident lawmakers is scheduled to be processed at a party leadership meeting.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    PPP accuses PML-N of rigging Azad Kashmir election…

    The Pakistan Peoples Party has accused the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz of electoral irregularities during the Azad Kashmir elections. PPP leaders made the allegations during a press conference in Islamabad on Monday. PPP leader Sharmila Faruqui alleged that the PML-N was attempting to form a government in Azad Kashmir through rigging. She questioned claims that migrant seats had already been secured by the ruling party. Faruqui also criticised the Punjab government over its spending priorities. She questioned the concentration of development funds in Lahore and asked what had been done for other parts of the province. She said the PPP had avoided politicising incidents involving collapsed roofs in Punjab. However, she called for stronger measures to protect women and children. Faruqui also raised concerns about crime and law enforcement in Punjab. She referred to an alleged incident involving a girl with a mental disability in Lahore and criticised the police response. She further alleged that the Crime Control Department had carried out hundreds of encounters. According to her, the department had conducted around 670 encounters. Faruqui questioned whether the government was giving sufficient importance to courts and due process. She also claimed that a large majority of reported child abuse cases had occurred in Punjab. The PPP leader questioned the effectiveness of governance in cities where children and vulnerable citizens do not feel safe. Another PPP leader, Shahla Raza, also accused the PML-N of manipulating the Azad Kashmir election process. Raza claimed that the PML-N had entered the elections expecting to secure around 12 seats. She alleged that irregularities were reported in several constituencies because the party feared an outcome similar to the political situation in Gilgit-Baltistan. Raza said the alleged incidents demonstrated serious concerns about the credibility of the electoral process. She claimed that the Election Commission had received 26 complaints before 1pm on election day. She also alleged that election-related material was taken from police personnel and that gunfire occurred during the incidents. Raza further claimed that a PPP member of the National Assembly was shot. The PPP leaders called for greater transparency in the electoral process. They also urged authorities to investigate complaints submitted during polling. PPP leader Palwasha Khan said her party remains an ally of the PML-N at the federal level. However, she stressed that the PPP would not remain silent if it believed that the government was taking an incorrect step. Khan said the president has constitutional powers regarding official summaries and can act according to the law. She made it clear that the PPP considers itself a political partner rather than a subordinate of the PML-N. She warned that the government could face difficulties in achieving its political objectives if it ignored concerns raised by its allies. The allegations have added to political tensions surrounding the Azad Kashmir elections. The PPP and PML-N are coalition partners at the federal level. However, differences between the two parties have emerged over the election process and political developments in Azad Kashmir. The allegations made by PPP leaders have not, by themselves, established that electoral fraud occurred. The claims are expected to be examined by the relevant electoral and legal authorities.

  • |

    Australia initiates legal action against Telegram over failure to remove extremist content

    Australia’s eSafety Commissioner, Julie Inman-Grant, has launched legal proceedings in the Federal Court against messaging platform Telegram, alleging the company failed to comply with statutory safety obligations under the country’s Online Safety Act. The regulator claims Telegram permitted a permissive environment by hosting easily accessible extremist content, including footage of the 2019 Christchurch mosque shootings, the May 2022 Buffalo attack in New York, and filmed terrorist executions. The platform faces potential fines of up to 54.6 million Australian dollars for its non-compliance. The legal action follows a history of regulatory friction, including a one million Australian dollar fine imposed on Telegram in February 2025 for failing to answer inquiries regarding child abuse and violent material on time. Inman-Grant noted that whilst Australia does not license digital services, the regulator possesses the statutory authority to request a Federal Court order ceasing Telegram’s operations within the country if necessary. A spokesperson for Telegram rejected the allegations, stating that the platform’s anti-terrorism moderation efforts are well documented and confirming that the company will contest the claims in court.

  • | |

    HYBE clarifies stance after BTS announces Grammys boycott

    Entertainment giant HYBE has responded after BTS announced they would not participate in the upcoming Grammy Awards, clarifying that the group’s decision should not be interpreted as a company-wide boycott. The statement comes after the seven BTS members — RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V and Jungkook — reportedly decided against participating following changes to the Recording Academy’s awards structure. The controversy centres on the Grammys’ reported introduction of dedicated K-pop categories, a move that many fans believe separates Korean artists from competing equally in the general-field categories. According to reports, BTS and HYBE view the changes as unfair at a time when the group is considered one of the strongest contenders for major Grammy honours. Addressing the issue, HYBE released a statement explaining its concerns over the reported rule changes. “It is difficult to accept that this Grammy’s screening change was made when BTS is most likely to win the main prize.” Despite expressing disappointment, the company stressed that BTS’s decision does not represent an official boycott by HYBE itself. “It’s not a boycott at the company level.” An official further clarified the company’s position, saying, “In the case of other artists, if they are willing to participate, they will proceed with the exhibition as scheduled.” HYBE also revealed that BTS carefully considered whether to participate before reaching their final decision. “BTS also thought about whether to participate until the last minute of this announcement, but they made this decision with the idea that a cautious move is necessary for the sake of the music industry and K-pop as a whole.” According to the statement, the group’s decision was made after considering what they believe are broader implications for K-pop artists rather than focusing solely on their own chances at the awards. Industry observers believe BTS’s move could influence conversations across the global music business. In recent years, all four major American music awards have introduced dedicated K-pop categories, prompting debate over whether such divisions recognise the genre or limit Korean artists from competing directly alongside international acts in major categories. While BTS has chosen not to participate, neither the group nor HYBE has encouraged other artists to do the same. The company has made it clear that performers under its management remain free to decide whether they wish to submit their work or attend the ceremony. The reported boycott is especially significant because BTS has historically been one of the Grammy Awards’ biggest international attractions. Their appearances have consistently generated massive global viewership, extensive social media engagement and strong fan participation, making their absence notable for both the Recording Academy and music fans worldwide. Neither the Recording Academy nor Grammy organisers have publicly responded to HYBE’s latest statement at the time of writing. Fans continue to debate the issue across social media, with many praising BTS for taking what they view as a principled stand, while others hope discussions between the music industry and award organisers will lead to greater equality for K-pop artists in future Grammy competitions. HYBE, however, has maintained that the decision reflects BTS’s own position and should not be viewed as a blanket boycott by the company or its other artists. 

  • | |

    52 life-saving drugs clear major approval hurdle

    ISLAMABAD: A federal cabinet subcommittee has approved the prices of 52 newly registered life-saving medicines, including treatments for cancer, diabetes, haemophilia and Parkinson’s disease, in a move aimed at improving access to essential medicines across Pakistan. The meeting was chaired by Finance Minister Senator Muhammad Aurangzeb in Islamabad. The committee reviewed pricing proposals for newly registered medicines and approved the prices for all 52 products. Officials said the approved medicines include several advanced treatments for serious and chronic illnesses. Among them is Keytruda, a modern immunotherapy drug used globally to treat more than 20 types of cancer. Other approved medicines include Nivolumab, Dasatinib, Meropenem and insulin, which are widely used to treat cancer, severe infections and diabetes. The pricing decision will now be sent to the federal cabinet for final approval. Once endorsed, the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) will issue an official price notification, allowing the medicines to be legally marketed and sold in the country. Health Ministry officials said early approval of medicine prices was necessary to address the difficulties faced by patients. Delays in pricing had prevented several newly registered medicines from entering the local market, forcing many patients to rely on unregistered, smuggled or costly imported alternatives. Authorities believe the approval will improve the availability of high-quality medicines and reduce dependence on illegal supply channels. They said the move will also help ensure that patients have access to safe and regulated treatments through authorised healthcare providers. During the meeting, the finance minister stressed the importance of transparency and protecting the public interest in decisions related to medicine pricing. He called for a fair pricing mechanism that balances patient affordability with the availability of essential medicines.

  • |

    Cameroonian President Paul Biya reshuffles military leadership amidst prolonged absence in Switzerland

    Cameroon’s 93-year-old President, Paul Biya, the world’s oldest sitting head of state, has enacted a strategic reshuffle of the country’s military leadership from abroad, issuing decrees to promote senior officers and appoint new commanders while remaining in Geneva, Switzerland. Among the key appointments, Biya promoted five colonels to the rank of brigadier general. Notably, Brigadier General Raymond Jean Charles Beko’o Abondo was reappointed to lead the elite Presidential Guard, an essential security unit responsible for the president’s personal protection that he has commanded since 2013. The administrative shifts coincide with growing domestic anxiety regarding Biya’s absence from Cameroon, which has extended to nearly two months following his departure on 7 June for what officials termed a “brief private stay”. Opponents and civil society groups have voiced concern over an institutional vacuum, noting that a newly created vice-presidential seat remains vacant and a promised cabinet overhaul has yet to materialise. Government representatives, including Communication Minister René Emmanuel Sadi, dismissed claims of administrative paralysis or health crises, maintaining that the president remains fully operational and continues to sign official decrees and financial agreements from abroad.

  • | |

    ‘Rigging mastermind cries foul’: Maryam’s sh…

    Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has strongly criticised the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) over its allegations of rigging in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections. Maryam responded to criticism from PPP leaders in a social media post on Wednesday. She accused the PPP of being behind what she described as “subtle rigging” and questioned its decision to complain about electoral irregularities. “The mastermind of subtle rigging is crying foul over rigging,” Maryam said in her post. She then added a sarcastic question about when doomsday would arrive. Her remarks came after PPP Central Punjab General Secretary Hassan Murtaza accused the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) of manipulating the AJK election process. Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, Murtaza alleged that electoral rules had been repeatedly violated during the polls. He also criticised the role of the Election Commission. He claimed that the commission had acted like an election agent instead of performing its constitutional responsibilities. Murtaza accused the PML-N of setting a new example of electoral rigging. He said his party had been treated unfairly during the elections. The PPP leader also criticised the political activities of the PML-N leadership in AJK. Without directly naming Maryam Nawaz, Murtaza referred to her father, Nawaz Sharif. He said Sharif had gone to Kashmir and expressed a desire to become prime minister. Murtaza argued that if the PML-N leadership was now seeking the AJK premiership, it was only possible because of the PPP’s political role. He also defended Nawaz Sharif and said the PPP respected the former prime minister. Murtaza claimed that the PML-N had itself reduced Sharif’s political standing by offering him a position as chairman of an institution in Lahore while he was seeking the AJK premiership. The PPP leader then shifted his criticism to Punjab’s governance and public services. He claimed that thousands of acres of farmland between Shahdara and Muridke had been inundated. According to Murtaza, water had reached several feet in some agricultural areas. He said the damage was not caused by a major flood. Instead, he blamed a breach in a drain embankment. Murtaza also criticised the Punjab government’s claims about Lahore’s development. He argued that the city’s infrastructure remained vulnerable to heavy rainfall. He said several roads turned into what he described as drainage channels after only a few hours of rain. The PPP leader blamed government decisions for creating difficulties for citizens. He also criticised the import of one million metric tonnes of wheat. Murtaza claimed that the imported wheat was worth around Rs1 trillion. He questioned the government’s economic decisions and argued that citizens deserved better public services. He said taxes collected from the public should be used to provide essential facilities. He also called on the government to fulfil its responsibility toward citizens. The political dispute comes amid growing tensions between the PPP and PML-N over the AJK elections. PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has also alleged irregularities in the first phase of the AJK elections. The PML-N, however, has rejected allegations of rigging and defended the election results. Maryam Nawaz has previously urged political opponents to accept defeat rather than make allegations of electoral manipulation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *