powerful quake kills
|

Powerful 7.7 quake kills 20 in Indonesia

At least 20 people have been killed after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores Island early Saturday, triggering widespread panic, building damage and a series of strong aftershocks.

The earthquake struck shortly before 5am local time at a depth of about 15 kilometres, according to Indonesia’s meteorological and geophysics authorities. The relatively shallow depth increased the potential for severe damage across affected areas.

Indonesia’s disaster management authorities said several people were injured, with the figures still considered preliminary as rescue teams continue searching damaged buildings and assessing casualties.

The strongest aftershocks included a 6.1-magnitude tremor, forcing residents to remain outdoors because of fears that weakened structures could collapse.

Dramatic scenes were reported at the port of Maumere, where sections of a terminal building broke apart during the earthquake. A gangway leading to a ferry also collapsed, sending some passengers into the sea as people attempted to escape.

East Nusa Tenggara Governor Emanuel Melkiades Laka Lena said some victims were killed while sleeping after rubble from collapsing structures fell on them.

Residents described the earthquake as extremely frightening. People rushed out of their homes and moved towards safer areas, with many heading to higher ground after authorities issued a tsunami warning.

The tsunami alert was later lifted about three hours after the earthquake when no significant rise in sea levels was detected. Authorities said around 2,000 people evacuated or moved to safer locations on their own during the warning.

Officials reported fatalities in several provinces, including Sikka, Manggarai and East Manggarai. At least two people were seriously injured while 11 others suffered minor injuries.

The earthquake also caused extensive structural damage. Initial assessments indicated that dozens of houses had been severely damaged along with healthcare facilities, places of worship, government buildings, an educational institution and a warehouse.

Manggarai was identified as one of the worst-affected areas. Rescue and assessment teams are continuing to work in the region, although difficult mountainous terrain could make operations challenging.

Authorities have urged residents to remain calm, avoid coastal areas and stay away from buildings that have been damaged or weakened by the earthquake and aftershocks.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Murree imposes Section 144 ahead of Independence D…

    Authorities in Murree have imposed Section 144 to maintain law and order during the Independence Day celebrations. According to an official notification, the restrictions came into effect on August 10 and will remain in place until August 16, 2026. The decision has been taken ahead of August 14 celebrations. Murree is expected to receive a large number of visitors during the holiday period. Officials have therefore introduced restrictions to manage crowds and prevent any situation that could affect public safety. Under the notification, access to key areas of the hill station will also be regulated. Only families will be allowed to visit Mall Road and GPO Chowk during the restriction period. Mall Road is among Murree’s busiest areas and usually attracts large crowds during public holidays. GPO Chowk is also a major gathering and commercial point. Limiting access to these locations is expected to help authorities control movement and reduce overcrowding. Security personnel will remain alert during the Independence Day period. Visitors have been advised to cooperate with law-enforcement personnel and follow the restrictions announced by the authorities. The administration is also expected to monitor the situation closely as visitor numbers increase. Any further measures required for crowd management and public safety may be taken during the restriction period.

  • |

    Abdullah Ejaz reveals painful reason behind leaving modelling

    Abdullah Ejaz, one of Pakistan’s well-known former male models and actors, has opened up about the difficult circumstances that forced him to step away from modelling. The former model, who once dominated the fashion industry, revealed that severe sciatica pain had a major impact on his career and eventually led him to pursue a different professional path. Abdullah Ejaz rose to prominence as one of Pakistan’s leading male models and received a Lux Style Award in 2006 in recognition of his work. After establishing himself in the modelling world, he successfully transitioned into acting and became part of several popular television projects. Over the years, Abdullah appeared in dramas and shows including Piya Mann Bhaye, Nail Polish, Tera Mera Rishta, Silsilay, and Hum Sab Umeed Se Hain. He later introduced himself to a new generation of viewers through his appearance in Tamasha Season 3, where audiences got the opportunity to see more of his personality beyond his earlier modelling and acting career. Abdullah is now working as a commercial director. He is also married to his university fellow from business school, Rabia, and the couple has two children. During a recent appearance on Wasim Shah’s talk show Zabardast with Wasi Shah, Abdullah spoke candidly about the health struggle that changed the direction of his career. Reflecting on the difficult period, he explained that he began experiencing severe sciatica around one and a half years ago. According to Abdullah, the pain became so intense that even sitting was extremely difficult for him. His condition eventually affected even the most basic aspects of his daily routine. Abdullah recalled that his back pain was so severe that he sometimes had to eat while lying down. He described the period as extremely challenging, not only for himself but also for his family, particularly his wife, who stood by him throughout the ordeal. The former model admitted that he still does not know exactly what caused the problem. However, he speculated that years of intense training and overtraining may have contributed to it. He said the pain appeared suddenly but continued for a prolonged period, making the experience particularly difficult. While discussing his wife’s role during that challenging time, Abdullah praised Rabia for the strength and support she showed. He described her as an “iron lady” and said her army background had made her exceptionally strong and resilient. Abdullah’s revelation gives fans a glimpse into the personal struggle behind his decision to move away from modelling. Although his career has taken a different direction, he continues to remain connected to the entertainment industry through commercial direction. His journey from a celebrated model to an actor and now a commercial director reflects the different phases of his career, while his recent candid revelation highlights the personal challenges that can sometimes remain hidden behind a successful public image.

  • | | |

    Karachi murder case: husband and wife arrested in …

    Police have arrested a husband and wife in Punjab’s Layyah district in connection with a Karachi murder case involving the killing and burning of a man’s body. According to police, the Keamari Investigation Police arrested the alleged main suspects during an operation in Layyah. The case relates to the murder of Faizan alias Faizi in the Mochko area of Karachi in April. Police said the victim was allegedly killed and his body was set on fire. The remains were completely burned and were later identified as those of Faizan. A case had initially been registered against unidentified suspects at the Mochko police station. A special investigation team was formed to investigate the incident. Using technical investigation methods, police had previously arrested two suspects identified as Akram, the victim’s father-in-law, and his son, Ataullah. Police said the alleged main suspects, identified as security institution employee Joon Abbas and his wife, Samreen, had fled and remained in hiding following the incident. The investigation team reportedly traced the couple through technical means and arrested them in Layyah. Further investigation is currently underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the murder and the alleged burning of the body.

  • | |

    Supreme Court orders early hearing of Imran’s me…

    ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Friday accepted a chamber appeal filed by former prime minister and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan. The court directed that his petition be fixed for hearing before a Supreme Court bench at the earliest. Imran Khan has requested the court to order his transfer from Adiala Jail to Islamabad’s Shifa International Hospital for medical treatment. He has also sought permission for regular meetings with his family members, personal physicians and legal counsel. In addition, he wants his medical reports to be shared with his family. The appeal challenged an earlier decision by the Supreme Court Registrar, who had returned the petitions after raising objections. The Registrar’s Office said the petitions were incomplete because they did not include a signed power of attorney. During Friday’s proceedings, Advocate Uzair Karamat Bhandari appeared before Chief Justice Yahya Afridi in chambers on behalf of Imran Khan. After hearing the arguments, the chief justice declared the Registrar’s objections ineffective and directed the legal team to submit a signed power of attorney. The Registrar’s Office was also instructed to assign a regular case number to the petition so it could be listed for hearing without unnecessary delay. The Supreme Court further ordered that a separate petition filed by Imran Khan’s sister, Dr Uzma Khan, should be heard together with his own case. In the appeal, Imran Khan argued that the Registrar had exceeded his administrative powers by deciding the maintainability of the petition. His legal team maintained that such questions should be decided by judges because they involve constitutional and legal interpretation rather than administrative scrutiny. The petition also requested that Imran Khan be examined by doctors of his own choice. The names included Dr Khurram Mirza, Dr Asim Yusuf, Dr Faisal Sultan and Dr Samina Niazi. It further asked the court to order his immediate transfer to Shifa International Hospital for a detailed medical examination and treatment. The petition also sought uninterrupted access to his personal doctors, family members and lawyers during his imprisonment and treatment. Dr Uzma Khan has also challenged an Islamabad High Court ruling that refused to order Imran Khan’s transfer to Shifa International Hospital. She also questioned the decision denying his family access to his medical information and visits by his personal physicians. In her petition, Dr Uzma said Imran Khan and his wife are currently imprisoned in Adiala Jail, while his two sons live abroad. She said she is his closest immediate family member in Pakistan and, as a medical doctor, is deeply concerned about his health. She argued that she has the legal standing to pursue the case on his behalf. Imran Khan has remained in custody since August 2023. He is serving a 14-year prison sentence in the £190 million Al-Qadir Trust corruption case. He is also receiving treatment for right central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), an eye condition that was diagnosed earlier this year. His medical treatment has become a major political issue in recent months. Opposition leaders have repeatedly accused the government of failing to ensure proper medical care and denying him access to his personal doctors. They have also demanded his transfer to Shifa International Hospital

  • |

    Japan launches cooling shirt with built-in fans

    Tokyo – Due to Japan’s intense summer heat, office wear is now being equipped with modern cooling technology. Japanese people have started wearing clothes with built-in air-conditioning systems. Japanese clothing manufacturer Yofuku no Aoyama has introduced a short-sleeved shirt fitted with two small fans that provide cool air to the wearer while they are on the move. According to media reports, the shirt looks like a simple and elegant office shirt but it actually contains an advanced cooling system. A fan is installed at the back of the shirt near the waist. When switched on, it circulates air inside the shirt and helps keep the body cool. Air-cooled clothing has become increasingly popular in Japan over the past few years. However, it has mainly been used by people working in construction, waste collection and event security. Such clothing is generally designed as jackets or vests and has traditionally been considered protective or workwear rather than office clothing. However, as summer temperatures continue to rise in Japan, demand for cooling clothing is increasing among ordinary citizens and office workers as well. Keeping this growing demand in mind, Yofuku no Aoyama developed the shirt in collaboration with FZN, a company specializing in fan-equipped clothing. The shirt comes with two fans and a rechargeable battery. According to the company, efforts have been made to keep the cooling system as lightweight as possible. According to the report, each of the two fans weighs 95 grams, while the rechargeable battery pack weighs 165 grams. Although the fans are visible when the shirt is viewed from the back, designers have tried to make them less noticeable from other angles so that the shirt remains suitable for an office environment. The company has not provided specific information about the noise level of the fans suggesting that they may not be completely silent. When is cooling shirt most useful? The shirt is considered more useful while travelling rather than during meetings. The company says its main purpose is not necessarily to operate the fans inside an office or during client meetings as such meetings are generally held in air-conditioned rooms. The real benefit of the shirt is for people who travel around the city from one meeting to another. While walking outside in extreme heat or using public transport, the fans can help keep the body cool. It may also reduce the need for employees to change sweat-soaked clothes and put on formal attire again after reaching their destination. What is price? The complete initial package of the Kuchou Wear Short-Sleeve Shirt is being sold for 17,490 Japanese yen. The package includes the shirt, two fans, a rechargeable battery pack and a charging cable. The shirt is available in blue and grey with medium, large and extra-large sizes offered. The product has already gone on sale at the company’s stores and online shop.

  • | | |

    Ceuta migrant crisis: death toll rises to 72 durin…

    The migrant crisis in Ceuta, a Spanish-controlled territory in North Africa, has drawn international attention after reports that dozens of migrants died while attempting to enter the region from Morocco. Local authorities reportedly stated that the death toll reached 72, with fatalities linked to boat accidents and deadly crowd situations near border areas. Ceuta, along with Melilla, is one of the few European-controlled territories located on the African continent. The area has long been considered an important route for migrants and asylum seekers attempting to reach European territory. Due to its strategic location, the region has strict border controls, security fencing, and surveillance systems. According to local reports, thousands of migrants attempted to cross into Ceuta through land and sea routes. Authorities said that many people later returned voluntarily to Morocco after entering the territory. The large movement of migrants created significant pressure on border facilities and emergency services. Officials reported that some migrants lost their lives after boats carrying people encountered difficulties at sea, while others reportedly died during chaotic scenes near border barriers. Rescue and security teams have been involved in managing the situation and responding to emergencies. The latest incident has renewed discussions about migration challenges facing Europe. Human rights organizations and international observers have repeatedly highlighted the dangers faced by migrants who attempt dangerous journeys due to conflict, poverty, and limited economic opportunities in their home countries. European governments continue to debate policies regarding border security, asylum procedures, and cooperation with neighboring countries. While authorities emphasize the need to control illegal crossings, humanitarian groups call for safer migration pathways and stronger protections for vulnerable migrants. Ceuta has experienced previous migration crises, including a major influx in 2021 when thousands of people attempted to enter the territory from Morocco within a short period. The latest developments once again demonstrate the complex challenges surrounding migration at Europe’s external borders. As investigations continue, officials and international organizations are expected to assess the causes behind the deaths and examine measures to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *