nigat shah clarifies
| |

Dr Nigat Shah clarifies JPMC contract extension

Professor Dr Nigat Shah, head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), has clarified that her contract-based employment extension will not affect the posting or promotion of any associate professor.

Speaking to the media, Dr Shah said several gynaecology units at JPMC had remained closed since 2013. She said one of the closed units was revived in 2022 to expand medical services and provide treatment to patients.

She added that the department is continuing patient care alongside postgraduate training and research. According to Dr Shah, the hospital needs more specialised doctors, and she has no objection to the appointment of any qualified medical professional.

Dr Shah stressed that her objective was not to create obstacles for another doctor’s appointment or career progression. She said her contract extension should not be viewed as an attempt to block the posting or promotion of any associate professor.

The clarification comes after senior associate professors at Jinnah Sindh Medical University (JSMU) reportedly raised concerns over Dr Shah’s reappointment. Several affected professors wrote to the Sindh chief minister, Sindh health minister and the federal ombudsman, expressing reservations about the decision.

In their letter, the professors claimed that the second paragraph of a Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) notification issued on May 19 had been overlooked. They further maintained that the reappointment could affect the promotions of six associate professors who are awaiting advancement to higher positions.

The professors have sought the authorities’ attention to the matter and called for the relevant rules and regulations to be considered while deciding appointments and promotions.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Economists urge SBP to hold rate at 11.5%

    Economists have recommended that the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) keep its policy rate unchanged at 11.5% at its upcoming monetary policy meeting on July 27. The recommendation comes as inflation has started to ease, but underlying price pressures remain high. Analysts believe the economy is also recovering unevenly, leaving limited room for another increase in borrowing costs. A recent economic assessment showed that headline inflation fell to 11.1% in June. However, core inflation remained elevated. Urban core inflation stood at 8.7%, while rural core inflation was recorded at 7.9%. Economists said much of the current inflationary pressure is coming from food, energy, transport and government-controlled prices. These factors cannot be addressed effectively through interest-rate changes alone. They also warned that a recent increase in the Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI) requires close monitoring. The development could indicate that the decline in inflation has not yet become firmly established. Financial market indicators also support maintaining the current policy rate. Short-term Treasury bill yields remain close to the SBP’s existing rate, while the overnight interest rate is also broadly aligned with the current monetary policy stance. However, yields on longer-term Treasury bills have increased. The six-month yield reached 11.80%, while the 12-month yield rose to 11.99%. Economists said the movement reflects some caution about the medium-term economic outlook. The assessment noted that Pakistan’s economic recovery has gained momentum but remains uneven. Large-scale manufacturing continues to face challenges, while there are no strong signs of excessive demand that would require another rate hike. Economists warned that raising the policy rate further could increase borrowing costs for businesses and consumers. It could also discourage investment and slow economic activity without directly tackling the supply-side factors behind current inflation. Pakistan’s external position has improved in recent months. Higher foreign exchange reserves, strong remittance inflows and relative stability in the exchange rate have reduced immediate pressure on the economy. Despite these improvements, risks remain. The country continues to face a sizeable merchandise trade deficit and upcoming external debt repayments. Heavy dependence on imported energy also leaves Pakistan vulnerable to international oil price fluctuations. A sharp rise in global oil prices could increase transportation and energy costs in Pakistan. It could also widen external pressures and trigger another round of inflation. Persistent core inflation is another major concern. If underlying price pressures remain high, inflation expectations could become difficult to control. This could delay any reduction in interest rates or force the central bank to consider tighter monetary policy. A weakening exchange rate could create additional pressure by making imports more expensive. It could also affect foreign exchange reserves and increase imported inflation. Economists have therefore advised the SBP to closely monitor private-sector borrowing, lending rates, monetary growth and the difference between short- and long-term interest rates. For now, the indicators favour maintaining the policy rate at 11.5%. However, economists say the central bank should remain ready to adjust its stance if inflation, oil prices, exchange-rate pressures or external financing risks deteriorate.

  • | |

    Rashid Latif urges PCB chairman to utilize Younis …

    Former Pakistan Test captain and wicketkeeper-batter Rashid Latif has called on Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi to make better use of former captain Younis Khan’s expertise for the growth and development of cricket in the country. Latif believes that experienced former players like Younis Khan can play a significant role in nurturing young talent and strengthening Pakistan’s cricket structure. Speaking at the inauguration ceremony of the Younis Khan Cricket Academy at KHA Legend Arena in Karachi’s Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Rashid Latif stressed the need to put Pakistan cricket on the right path by involving accomplished cricketers in the development process. He said Younis Khan’s vast experience and commitment to the game make him one of the best individuals to guide the next generation of players. Latif also reflected on Karachi’s rich cricketing history, noting that there was a time when the Pakistan national team featured a large number of players from the city. However, he said the situation has changed over the years, and Karachi no longer contributes players at the same level as it once did. Highlighting the importance of Karachi’s Malir district, Rashid Latif said the area has produced several outstanding cricketers, including Saeed Anwar, Khurram Manzoor, Asim Kamal, Younis Khan, and himself. According to him, the region has long been a breeding ground for cricketing talent and deserves continued investment in player development. The former captain also pointed out that while many of Younis Khan’s contemporaries are seeking positions within the Pakistan Cricket Board, Younis has remained focused on serving the game by working directly with aspiring cricketers. Latif praised this dedication, saying it reflects Younis Khan’s genuine passion for Pakistan cricket. Rashid Latif expressed confidence that the Younis Khan Cricket Academy will help revive grassroots cricket in Karachi by providing young players with quality coaching and professional guidance. He emphasized that similar initiatives can strengthen the country’s cricketing future if supported by the PCB and other stakeholders. Concluding his remarks, Latif paid tribute to Younis Khan’s remarkable achievements, describing his record of more than 10,000 Test runs and 34 Test centuries as an extraordinary milestone. He said cricketers of Younis Khan’s caliber are produced only once in a generation, making it essential for Pakistan cricket to benefit from his experience and leadership.

  • |

    US judge dismisses bribery and fraud case against Gautam Adani despite procedural concerns

    A US federal judge has formally dismissed criminal bribery and fraud charges against Indian billionaire Gautam Adani, bringing an end to a high-profile prosecution while issuing a sharp rebuke over how the Department of Justice handled the case. US District Judge Nicholas Garaufis approved the Justice Department’s request to drop all charges with prejudice, permanently barring prosecutors from refiling the case. The decision closes an investigation launched in 2024 that accused Adani and senior executives of paying over $250 million in bribes to Indian officials to secure solar energy contracts while misleading American investors. In a 47-page order, Judge Garaufis voiced deep concern over procedural irregularities, noting that senior Justice Department official R. Trent McCotter negotiated the dismissal directly with Adani’s defence team without consulting the FBI agents and career prosecutors handling the investigation. The judge also scrutinized whether Adani’s public pledge to invest $10 billion in the United States and create 15,000 jobs influenced the outcome. While Garaufis ultimately concluded the investment promise did not legally dictate the government’s decision, he warned that the unusual handling of the case raised troubling questions about public perception of equal justice. The dismissal follows efforts by Adani’s legal team, led by prominent attorney Robert J. Giuffra Jr., who argued that much of the alleged conduct occurred outside US jurisdiction and no longer aligned with federal enforcement priorities. Adani, who maintained his innocence throughout the proceedings, welcomed the ruling in a statement, expressing deep respect for the judicial process.

  • | |

    Tamil Nadu CM Vijay’s wife withdraws divorce petition

    CHENNAI, August 7, 2026: Sangeetha, the wife of popular actor and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay, has withdrawn her divorce petition filed before a family court. According to Indian media reports, Sangeetha appeared before the court through video conference on Friday and informed the judge that she no longer wished to pursue the divorce case. Based on her statement, the court allowed her to withdraw the petition and disposed of the case. According to the court order, Sangeetha had formally submitted an application seeking withdrawal of the petition. The court recorded her statement, while Vijay’s lawyer raised no objection to the withdrawal. The court also allowed Sangeetha to file a fresh petition in the future if necessary. Sangeetha had filed for divorce in February 2026. In her petition, she had alleged that Vijay was involved in a relationship with a female actor. She claimed that she became aware of the alleged relationship in 2021. According to her, Vijay had promised to end the relationship but allegedly failed to do so. The petition further alleged that Vijay gradually excluded Sangeetha from his personal and professional life. She claimed that he continued to appear publicly and travel abroad with the actress. Sangeetha also stated that photographs of Vijay and the actress were repeatedly shared on social media. She alleged that Vijay neither denied nor objected to the circulation of the pictures. According to the petition, Sangeetha said the situation caused severe emotional distress and humiliation to her and their two children, Jason Sanjay and Divya Sasha. She also alleged that Vijay withdrew previously available facilities, imposed financial restrictions and limited her movements. Sangeetha further claimed that Vijay’s behaviour and social media controversies surrounding him in 2024 caused her significant emotional trauma. She maintained that their marriage had effectively ended and existed only on paper. She alleged that the relationship had subjected her to prolonged emotional distress, humiliation and suffering.

  • | | |

    Pakistani leaders praise Makkah Agreement as histo…

    Federal ministers, ministers of state, cabinet members and parliamentarians have welcomed the Makkah Agreement between Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia. They described the agreement as a major step towards peace, security and stability in the region. The leaders said the agreement reflects a shared vision among the three countries. They said it could strengthen cooperation and improve regional security. Federal Minister Ahsan Iqbal said Pakistan had achieved a historic diplomatic success. He said the defence agreement could help open a new chapter of peace and stability in the region. Information Minister Attaullah Tarar also welcomed the agreement. He described it as a milestone for peace and security. He said the people had welcomed the development. Federal Minister Owais Leghari said the defence agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye was a positive development. He said it would help strengthen the security of the three countries and contribute to peace in the region. Tariq Fazal Chaudhry said the agreement reflected the vision of the leadership of the three countries. He said it would further strengthen bilateral and trilateral relations. He added that the agreement could also promote unity among Muslim countries. He described it as a new source of hope for the Muslim world. Tariq Fazal Chaudhry said the agreement was an important step towards greater unity among Muslim countries. Amir Muqam said Pakistan was achieving significant diplomatic successes under the leadership of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. Abdul Aleem Khan said the agreement would promote brotherhood and cooperation among Islamic countries. He congratulated the nation and the Muslim Ummah on the development. Minister of State Shaza Fatima said Pakistan was increasingly being recognised as a country committed to peace. She said the historic agreement would help strengthen Pakistan’s position internationally. Rana Sanaullah said signing the agreement in the holy city of Makkah was a matter of honour for Pakistan. He said the agreement between the brotherly countries could create new opportunities for peace and cooperation. He also praised the efforts of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir in making the agreement possible. Sanaullah said stronger cooperation among Muslim countries could contribute to their development and prosperity. Daniyal Chaudhry described the Makkah joint defence agreement as a major diplomatic and security milestone for Pakistan. He said the leadership of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir had played an important role in achieving the historic agreement.

  • | |

    Flood alert as rivers rise, Sukkur, Marala and Bal…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is bracing for another spell of flood-related risks as heavy monsoon rains, rising river levels and high water storage at major dams put several parts of the country on alert. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), through its National Emergencies Operation Centre, has warned of possible low to moderate flooding in vulnerable areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Balochistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir. According to the latest assessment, the Indus River has already reached low flood levels at Kalabagh, Chashma, Taunsa and Guddu. While the Ravi, Chenab, Jhelum, Kabul and Sutlej are currently within normal ranges, officials expect water flows in several major rivers to increase on August 8 and 9. The NDMA has identified Sukkur on the Indus, Marala on the Chenab and Balloki on the Ravi as areas where low-level flooding could occur. The Jhelum downstream of Mangla Dam and the Kabul River near Adezai are also being closely monitored. Several districts in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, including Chitral, Upper Dir, Abbottabad, Shangla, Khyber, Orakzai, Kohat, Tank and North and South Waziristan, face the possibility of low to moderate flooding. In AJK, Bagh and Kotli are also considered vulnerable, while Zhob, Musakhel, Kohlu, Barkhan and Dera Bugti in Balochistan remain under watch. Punjab is facing risks from hill torrents, particularly in Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur. The NDMA has also warned of possible urban flooding in Rawalpindi, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Narowal, Faisalabad, Okara and Lahore. Water storage at the country’s major reservoirs remains high. Tarbela Dam’s water level has reached 1,548 feet, with storage at 97.94 per cent, compared with 95.98 per cent during the same period last year. Mangla Dam is at 1,205.2 feet, with storage recorded at 62.99 per cent, slightly above last year’s 62.80 per cent. Authorities have urged residents, tourists and travellers in mountainous and flood-prone areas to remain vigilant, as intense monsoon rainfall can trigger flash floods, landslides and debris flows with little warning. People have been advised to avoid riverbanks, streams and other vulnerable locations and to check weather forecasts and road conditions before travelling as the monsoon system continues to affect the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *